Start by marking “The Lion (Love, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lion (Love, #3)

The Lion

(Love #3)

The third volume in the lavishly illustrated series of wildlife graphic novels, each following a single central animal through an adventurous day in their natural environment. Each tale depicts genuine natural behavior through the dramatic lens of Disney-esque storytelling, like a nature documentary in illustration.
Both heartwarming and heartbreaking, this volume focuses
Published July 12th 2016 by Magnetic Press (first published March 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion

karen
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
 photo IMG_2856_zpsgj2chvqk.jpg

damn you, diminishing returns!

i did not love this book as much as The Fox or The Tiger.

the artwork is as spectacular and the encounters between predator and prey as dispassionately brutal as in the first two books

photo IMG_2869_zpshmaz75e3.jpg

photo IMG_2866_zpsrfaxwvrk.jpg

but i must confess, i found the story difficult to follow. like the two previous books, it's all told through images, with no words to guide the reader; and in The Fox and The Tiger, there were some moments that confused me, but i was able to follow the story with no problems.

here,
Kelli
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated wordless YA graphic novel. I grabbed this to for the illustrations and because I think my son would enjoy it. The story is a little hard to follow but overall it is magnificent and I will look for the others in the series.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I have previous read Love: The Tiger and Love: The Fox, the two graphic novels before this one and I loved them both. This one is no exception. There is just something so wonderfully beautifully with this graphic novel and I especially love the fact that it's no text, just a story told through the art. And, it's not really a happy story, it's sometimes really brutal and sad reading about the life on the savannah.
I have added some screen caps so you can see just how beautiful and detailed the gra
Trish
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The last of the books I ordered (the dinosaur thing didn't seem as appealing). Unfortunately, this convinced me the least of all three books. Not because the drawing style was somehow less breathtaking, but the overall story that was shown reminded me too much of Disney's The Lion King. Also, while the colour palette of the artist is always very impressive, it was less vibrant here. The dominant colours were browns - I know, realistic, but the trees could have been shown in more vibrant greens f ...more
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

Dear Hubby,

You know you’re reaction to the first volume of Love? You got a little upset that different animals from different places were used together. It upset the order of the universe or something. Then I think you ate that pepper and your face turned really red.

Well, hubby my love, I think you will like this version of Love.

Okay, see, it’s about lions, one male lion in particular, so it takes place in Africa, and all the animals are from Africa. There are hip
Sesana
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, comics
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so happy when I see a book in this series is coming out, because I know that I'm going to be treated to beautiful and realistic animal art. I love that these books are always about nature without intervention from man, and I very much look forward to the next one.
Bea  Charmed
I read the first book in this series, "Love: The Tiger" and thought it was an interesting idea. I missed the second book but grabbed this one when I saw it. This was one of a slew of books that wouldn't open in Adobe Edition and I ended up getting it from the library after it released.

The artwork in this is indeed lush, even stunning at times, though the color palette is more subdued and somber, a reflection of the story's geographical setting. I missed the vibrant colors form the first book but
Ambur
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Absolutely gorgeous artwork, but the story was a bit too hard for me to follow. The male lions all looked so similar that I really wasn't sure who the more central character was, and that left me a bit confused. This series seems to focus on one animal in each volume, so I'm not sure if the previous volumes were set up the same way, but I wasn't a big fan of the disjointed story. It was definitely pretty to look at though!
Lara
Yet again, gorgeous art, but I think I actually enjoyed this one even less than I did The Tiger--I found the story really difficult to follow, and a brief driving event felt a little too similar to one in The Fox to be terribly interesting to me. But at least I'm caught up to the fourth volume, which is why I picked this series up in the first place! Now we'll find out if it works for me any better than the previous three did...I'm kind of doubting it? But I guess you never know!
Littlebookterror
This story not as good as the first two but the candid moments with the cubs won me over.
Pavel Pravda
Love series - four trips into animal’s world

Czech version here: vlcibouda.net/komiks/love-ctyri-vylety-sveta-zvirat

Writer Frédéric Brrémaud and artist Federico Bertolucci created comics series named Love. No, it’s not erotic series, but a bit of that is there also. This series is about animals. Not about antropomorf animals, as is usual in comics books and animated movies. This is about wild animals. It’s like National Geographic documentary movies. These animals don’t talk. They are hungry, the
Magda Żmijan
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admit, I didn't know exactly what I was signing up for while picking up this story, but I'm happy I did it. It was an interesting experience and I'd like to repeat it with the other two volumes of "Love".

The authors had a wonderful idea to use only images to tell the story. After all, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

In the story, we'll follow a single lion banished from its pack, wandering through the African plains. Authors marked him with distinct darker mane, so he's easily recognizab
Dolly
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
Other than the title information, this is a wordless graphic novel, gorgeously illustrated, depicting a day in the life of a lion on the Serengeti.

I was intrigued by the title and mesmerized by the pictures. I did not realize that it is the third in a series of books, each featuring a different wild animal.

Although the plot was challenging to follow, I was amazed by the raw beauty of the images, even in the brutality of the fights.

I found this book in the children's section of the library, and
Melissa
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am ruined by Disney... too many moments put me in mind of The Lion King. Which makes me love the movie more for being true to life; but I feel that the artist should have worked harder here to avoid the similar imagery. An extra half star for the ending.
Matt
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very nice, wordless nature graphic novel. The artwork is terrific and the essence of the African savannah that the artist is able to capture is impressive. The story is a bit muddled but the artwork more than makes up for it.
Paul Franco
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having read the previous one, which took place in the Arctic, I was looking forward to this one, obviously placed in Africa. As before there’s absolutely no dialogue; the animals definitely do not talk, but there’s plenty you can understand of their emotions through their facial gestures.
A typical scene features a lioness tackling an antelope-type animal, but it slips away and forces the lioness to get crafty. It works; the pride eats the kill in the rain and defends it from hyenas.
But the mai
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Love: The Lion is a graphic novel that shows the going abouts in a day of some African animals. We follow a multitude of animals, not just lions as the title might suggest. This is the third book in a series that does this similar concept but with different animals each volume, so they don't need to be read in any particular order.

After finishing it I was pretty confused so I immediately went back and re-read it to try and figure out what I missed. I figured out that the lion with the dark mane
Siina
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brrémaud is an amazing comic book artist and his Love series is breathtaking. The third part wasn't as good as the former ones, but it's still basically perfect. Lion reminded me of The Lion King - in a good way though. It's a beautiful and sad story about a lion not fitting in with the other lions and how nature takes care of those who don't (quite brutally actually). Mostly we just see life on savanna and everything in it is so damn real. I love the fact that the comic is without text except t ...more
Fox
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first foray into the Love series, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a series of comics being produce, each focused upon a single animal and its life cycle in general. The previous two volumes in this series (The Fox, and The Tiger) were exceptionally well reviewed and award winning. The stories are told entirely through the visual medium, with stunning artwork, brutal realism, and no dialogue whatsoever.
Wayne McCoy
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Love: The Lion' is the third book in the confusingly titled Love series. Each has followed a particular animal (first a fox, then a tiger) over the course of a day. All are told without words. Only the pictures given guide the reader through the story.

This wordlessness makes for a title that can be enjoyed internationally. Also, the focus is strictly on the art to convey what is happening. In all three books, there have been points where I've found this confusing, and that is perhaps moreso he
Hannah
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is just absolutely gorgeous. Most of the panels are worthy of being framed as full size pieces. There is no text, which seems fitting for a wildlife-focused book. It definitely had a national geographic feel-the art was incredibly realistic and the "story" felt pretty fitting, too. Lots of fighting, death, eating, but also heartwarming scenes of mothers caring for their young and the young cubs being playful together.

Stunning and moving. Loved this book, which I received from
Jana
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the third installment in a graphic novel series that focuses on all sorts of wildlife (the first one being about a tiger, the second one about a fox) and we follow a lion around in his daily life. This graphic novel doesn't have any text but still conveys its story easily and beautifully enough. The art is stunning and I definitely adored this book. It comes out July 12.
Chinook
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous. Like David Attenborough in comic form. No words, just the beauty of the animals.
Marjolein
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Love the artwork and how the graphic novel tells a story without a dialog. (Yes, so technically there was no reading involved with this book. Cheating to system!)
Ana
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful artwork! love the wordless story format that slows for a more general interpretation of events.
Darth
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as gorgeous as the other two.
Tracy
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-comics
2.5*

Sad story but a little hard for me to follow because there were so many lions, I had a hard time telling them apart (the paragraph on the back of the book helped me figure out what was happening). The one lion that the narrative focuses on has a dark mane, which helped, although a good portion of the story seemed to be spent following different prides. Effective use of flashbacks for characterization, though I wish a little more of the current day story could have connected more directly to
Valleri
While graphically beautiful, this installment was quite despairing. All for naught. Animals may not possess the same consciousness with which humans ponder their existence (and this series is about love, not the mysteries of life) but it seems as though this author is attempting to convey love and hate as equal emotions which mankind could never hope to possess while this lion possibly does. He does not foresee his demise if he takes on a lion pack but he does mourn in passing a recently decease ...more
Jake
This series has beautiful artwork, that emphasizes the brutal relationship between prey and predator (and how that line seems to switch in when new animals enter the mix).

I love how the illustrator is able to give the animals some emotion/facial expressions thru their eyes and faces. There were a few moments where I had trouble distinguishing which lion was the "main" lion, especially in the rain scenes.

I also got distracted by the sheer amount of animals being depicted, which often seemed to
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Not only was The Lion stunningly beautiful -the art was mesmerizing- the story kept me glued to the pages. Not only was the graphic novel about one lion, but an entire animal kingdom in Africa. From zebras to vultures, from wildebeests to hyenas, from elephants to cheetahs, every aspect of the African animal kingdom was portrayed, down to hierarchies, the food chain, and the movements therein. I really enjoyed reading The Lion, the third volume in the Love series, and I am looking forward to rea ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Good Dog
  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 12
  • L'âge d'or (L'âge d'or #1)
  • Feral Cities: Adventures with Animals in the Urban Jungle
  • Otters Love to Play
  • Pétalas
  • The Wolverine Way
  • Un océan d'amour
  • Dogs of War
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Death Vigil, Vol. 1
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • We Love You, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #19)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2
  • Korgi, Book 3: A Hollow Beginning
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever
  • The Complete Alice In Wonderland
Brrémaud, de son vrai nom Frédéric Brémaud, né le 11 mars 1973 à Séoul, est un scénariste de bande dessinée français. Il signe également sous les noms de Brr ou Frédéric Alléluïa Brémaud

Love (4 books)
  • The Tiger (Love, #1)
  • The Fox (Love, #2)
  • Les Dinosaures (Love, #4)