Start by marking “Don't Cross the Line!” as Want to Read:
Don't Cross the Line!

Don't Cross the Line!

This slapstick postmodern tale is also a profound statement about dictatorship and peaceful revolution, from an award-winning author/illustrator team.
Published August 1st 2016 by Gecko Press (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Cross the Line!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cross the Line!

Nicki Fairman
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this picturebook! The story very cleverly uses the physical properties of the book (turning to the next page) to discuss important issues of authority - very relevant to the 21st century - teaching children to question these lines and form their own opinions.
Caroline O'Brien
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with a friend during an English Seminar this week. The book was one of a selection on our table, however the colourful, imaginative front cover drew us to it. When we opened the book, we were surprised to find that it was in fact a wordless picture book.

Without giving too much away, this book cleverly uses a specific feature of a book - the gutter down the centre of the pages - to tell a story involving the themes of control, order vs. disorder and perhaps even immigration.

We r
Mathew
Yes, yes, I am probably going to love anything Daniel Hahn chooses to translate but this extremely clever postmodern Portuguese picturebook (yes, yes, the alliteration was intentional) is a seemingly simplistic (see) political commentary on peaceful protests (I’ll stop there).

Using a poor guard as a defender of all beyond the gutter (the recto is owned and controlled by the General), the story begins with a cumulative build up on inquisitive bystanders who wish to know why they’re trapped on th
Sarah Brombley
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting format of writing, not your traditional left to right reading. Visually pleasing and interesting.
Olivia Henderson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a simple story line but very effective in engaging the reader. Love the illustrations and how there is no formal written text - only a couple of words in speech bubbles coming from various characters mouths. I like the simplicity of the ball moving across to the other page, instigating the riot that happens afterwards. Very clever book.
Holly Payne
plays with the guttering (middle of the page) really well to demonstrate modern day power. the characters rebel to get the other side of the page and praise the guard when they let him across. The general is not happy when everyone gets across the page. Some of the pictures are felt tip and others are sketched this could imply that everyone is different and that these were added into the book, potentially by others. It could also address more political problems such as: immigration. However, the ...more
Jennifer B.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, quirky illustrations.
Cat
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty humorous little tale! wonderfully subversive, too! Little kids and big kids will enjoy this search and find various creatures in the story. The illustrations were a real hoot!
Tasha
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This very original picture book comes from an award-winning author and illustrator team from the publisher Planeta Tangerina and was first published in Portuguese. The book opens with an armed soldier standing towards the middle of the book surrounded by white space. A small dog enters and starts sniffing around and then a man comes on the page, but when he tries to head across to the right-hand page, the soldier stops him and tells him no one is allowed to go there by order of the general so he ...more
Andrea Lorenz
Don't Cross the Line! isn't normally a book that I would get fired up about. It's about a guard who has been told to not let anyone onto the right hand page. So he doesn't. He follows orders and makes everyone stay on the left hand page, UNTIL a little red ball accidentally bounces across. HOWEVER, it's the week of the inauguration, which is making me a bit nervous (re: an education secretary nominee who doesn't think that special protections for students with disabilities is a good idea, the Se ...more
Meredith
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extra star because, sadly, this is where we're headed. Hopefully enough people will cross the line when it starts getting drawn.
Edward Sullivan
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quirky, slapstick tale originally from Portugal about authoritarianism and peaceful resistance to it.
Kate Everett
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is certainly an unusual and memorable picture book. You can follow each of the many characters on their own journey through the story, including the author and illustrator (I have assumed from the names), as they try to cross the central line of the book. A great idea and a refreshing one I have not come across before. The main message I read in the book is that power of the people can win the day without violence. The author's character herself is drawn in black and grey pencil in stark co ...more
Bookrapt
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The title page of this book makes a statement right at away: This is how it’s going to be. I give the orders around here!

The guard always obeys the General’s orders without question and this time the guard has to stop anyone crossing the line, this space is for the General. There are eight almost blank pages at the beginning which leads to anticipation of what will happen in this story as the guard comes under pressure from the growing crowd of people.

A sophisticated picture book, with a subtle
Viviane Elbee
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book was fun to read with the kids, who were really into the comments that each of the characters were making. (They also loved the bizarre set of characters which included adults, children, a ghost, an astronaut, a guard, a horse, the general, criminals, a musician etc.. ).

However I don't know if it would be very easy to read to a large crowd of kids because it would be tough for the kids to follow all the details in the illustrations from far away.

I think this book will appeal to a very
Fromwordstoworlds
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is crucial to tell children about their civic rights and to encourage them to become active citizens. A healthy democracy is built with high and active participation of the people. Unfortunately there are countless cases of oppression, tyranny, propaganda and fake news but often people’s questioning and resistance bring the change.

Don’t Cross The Line! is an imperative title that resumes the policy and attitude of a guard who always follows the general’s orders. Intransigent, the guard refuse
Victoria
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bright and colorful primer about questioning authority and protest. If your child seems curious, "Don't Cross the Line", provides an excellent starting place to bigger conversations about current events.
Grace Gayer
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely twist on a 'normal' left to right story! Following the narrative was so fun; reading the speech from each of the characters! Some lovely ideas could come from this story...as alternative story writing!
Thomas Franklin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, as it proves that once you let one or two people break a rule, then everybody will want to follow suit. Keep your guard up and maintain high standards.
Sara Weather
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked this up pretty much because of the cover. It is a good idea for a story but was okay in execution.
Giuliana Gramani
A premissa é ótima, mas a execução não deu muito certo.
Seema Rao
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Humorous book about boundaries done in with colored marker caricature-like illustrations
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute use of the book format within the story. Fun illustrations.
Breanne
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The characters in this book were NOT aloud to cross the center fold. It was fun seeing all of the different characters; ghosts, kids, elderly, aliens, monsters.
Emyrose8
Funny and clever
Fiona Hill
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ks1, ks2, picturebooks
I like how we are introduced to all the characters on the first page and children can try and identify each of them throughout the story. Children can think about being persuaded and peer pressured by other people. It also encourages them to challenge rules and argue their opinion if they don’t agree something.
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Ooooh - profound. Not. This is the sort of thing that bored high school kids doodle during study hall.
Hannah
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun picture book for older kids with quirky illustrations and a message to think about if you like your picture books with a side of conflict resolution.
Hanne Govaerts
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekenkaravaan
Ik las dit prentenboek als een voorleesboekje bij het project 'Boekenkaravaan'.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Mouse Mansion
  • Red
  • My New Mom & Me
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Rain!
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • A Hat for Mrs. Goldman: A Story About Knitting and Love
  • My Pictures After the Storm
  • Old Dog Baby Baby
  • Look Up!
  • Marshall Armstrong Is New to Our School
É formada em Design de Comunicação pela Faculdade de Belas Artes (1997).
Fundou, juntamente com 3 amigos, a editora Planeta Tangerina.
Ganhou uma Menção Honrosa no I Prémio Internacional Compostela de Álbuns Ilustrados (“Ovelhinha, Dá-me Lã”, Kalandraka, ilustrações de Yara Kono).
Em 2010, foi nomeada para os Prémios de Autor da SPA/RTP na categoria Literatura Infanto-Juvenil com “O Livro dos Quintai