Start by marking “Life According to Dani” as Want to Read:
Life According to Dani

Life According to Dani

(Dunne #4)

It's Dani's first summer breakher best one ever! Dani is staying on an island with Ella, her best friend in the world. They play all day long. They build huts, fish, and spy on wild animals. They go swimming five, six, seven times a day. But one day visitors arrive, and Dani isn't sure her life is happy any more. Luckily she has Ella to get life back to the way it should b ...more
Published August 1st 2016 by Gecko Press (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Life According to Dani, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life According to Dani

Anu
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kivoja mutta surumielisiä nämä Dunnet. Kyllä voi pienen ihmisen elämä olla vaikeita asioita täynnä. Onneksi on paras ystävä perheineen tukena. Ja mukava mummo.
Bekah Boo
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book Dani is staying with Ella on her summer island. Dani's father gets better and comes home from the hospital on crutches. He gets a girlfriend named Sadie. Dani likes her but Ella doesn't like Sadie because she smokes.At the end of the book the girls see shooting stars in the sky and make a wish. Dani wishes that they can take their hamsters to school with them next year. Ella doesn't make a wish because she says, "When your here, Dani, I have everything I could wish for."
Linnea
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hcf, högläsning
Dunne-serien fortsätter leverera. Beskrivningarna av sommarlovet på ön är så härliga att en nästan känner sommarbrisen mot kinden och det svala vattnet mot benen. Även i denna bok lyckas Lagercrantz skickligt väva in stora tunga ämnen på de få raderna med en lätthet och närhet som förvånar. Är dock lite skeptisk mot slutet så det ska bli spännande att se hur det fortsätter i nästa del.
Beth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3rd-grade
This is my second book by this author, and I always feel like the story is a little older than the children it is intended for. I think a lot of kids might relate, but it's a pretty heavy subject for a young child to read.
As Dani's father continues to heal from his accident, she spends the summer with her best friend Ella. All is going well according to Dani, until she hears the news that her father has a GIRLFRIEND!!!! How Can DAni cope with this major life change?
Asia-Ginny
toll
Saoirse
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Quelle tristesse ce tome... Pauvre Dunne... Où est la légèreté, la joie du début ?
Emilia Haapanen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7-vuotias suositteli. ”Sun täytyy lukea tämä!”
Cat
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This would make a great book for a child who's parents are divorced and are now beginning to date other people. Maybe their parents should read it ,too.
Marjo
Ihana Dunne.
Erja Tuhkanen
Taattua Lagerkrantz & Eriksson -tasoa.
Dani
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Such lovely illustrations but man are Swedish children's books bleak. My poor American heart was yearning for resolution.
Josisosis
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie ville ge den 5 stjärnor. Fin och mysig om än lite allvarlig barnbok passar 6-8 åringar 😊
Robin
When Dani's father is injured in a bicycle accident, she goes to stay with her best friend Ella for summer vacation, on an island in the sea. Having been to the archipelago near Goteburg, I can picture this lovely Swedish setting. Full of everyday adventures and warm friendship, Dani's world is rocked when her dad introduces her to his new girlfriend. Will Dani ever be happy again??

Translated by Julia Marshall.
Originally published in Sweden in 2015.
Bookrapt
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
When Dani's father has an accident, Dani has to stay with her friend Ella on an island. The two girls have lots of fun playing and swimming, but one day Dani’s father doesn’t phone her and she starts to worry.

Dani finds out her father has a girlfriend. At first, Dani doesn’t want to share her father, but she gradually comes to realise there is room in her life for someone new.

This is a lovely, gentle story with beautiful, soft illustrations that perfectly complement the text. It is the fourth in
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This book touches on a lot of topics that are not usually in children's books. First, Dani's father is "run over by a car". He is in the hospital for a long time recovering, so Dani goes to stay with her best friend Ella. Their summer days are idyllic, filled with swimming, playing, and trying to make some money by selling drinks and pastries to passengers on the ferry. But Dani's happiness comes to an end when her father arrives unexpectedly with his new girlfriend, Sadie. Dani behaves quite ba ...more
Barbara
In this book originally published in Sweden, the author picks right up where the previous title, When I Am Happiest, leaves off. While her father is recovering from an accident, Dani comes to stay with her best friend Ella. Their vacation days are idyllic, filled with swimming, playing, and trying to make some money. But Dani's happiness is jarred when her father arrives unexpectedly with his new girlfriend. Dani behaves quite badly and is rude to Sadie. After her father leaves, he calls her to ...more
Linda
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simple year 2 or 3 text. Gentle story about the struggles of a child to adapt to a new adult in their parent's life
Psusan
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Life According to Dani by Rose Lagercrantz the first book anyone in my family, young or old, to have read by this author. Since this story first published in a different country Dani may have a come across differently then what was originally intended.

What did I like about this simple chapter book? The illustrations were wonderfully done with so much emotion shown in the characters’ faces. When the girls are exploring or enjoying their time together, I was enchanted. Then Ella is the perfect be
This is a cute enough book about a little girl, Dani, dealing with her father being in the hospital after being hit by a car. She is living with her best friend on their island. The story tells of her carefree days, playing in the ocean, baking, just having fun. And every night, her father calls her.

Until one night he doesn't, and she learns that he now has a girlfriend.

Now, if this had been a book written in America, there would have been something to resolve all this, and it would have been so
Darcie Caswell
When Dani’s father is hurt in an accident, she goes to spend the summer with her friend Ella on an island. The swim, explore and get in some trouble. Dani’s worry about her dad turns to dismay when she hears from her cousin that her dad has a new girlfriend. When Dani’s father is well enough to visit Dani, he handles it badly by bringing his new girlfriend and the family erupts, blaming each other for mistakes made and things handled badly. Dani’s father leaves abruptly and everyone’s feelings a ...more
Becky
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade-books
Good for those who enjoy Ramona, Judy Moody, and Clementine
Karin
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dani is spending the summer on an island with her best friend, Ella, while her father recuperates from a serious accident. She loves her time with Ella but she is also homesick for her hamsters, cat, but most of all, her father. When he makes a surprise visit, he brings along a surprise, special friend.
This book would be appropriate for younger children to self read or as a read aloud, as many children find themselves in the same place as Dani. Unfortunately, the preview copy doesn't show any a
Dana
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short, simple chapter book. Dani is staying with her friend, Ella, on an island, having a lovely time while her father is recovering from being hit by a car. Then, her father comes for a visit and he brings a girlfriend. This is totally unexpected to Dani and was not handled well by her father and Dani reacts quite negatively. I think that this book could be used to talk about the characters' feelings and the situation of a parent having a new girlfriend or boyfriend. I received this b ...more
Tanja
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The sequel to My Happy Life. In this story, Dani spends the summer on the island with her grandparents since her dad is in hospital. I was surprised at how serious the story turned, Dani's strong emotions about a change in her family life. Yet, patchwork families, a child being confronted with a parent's new partner can be quite confusing for a young child. Therefore books like this are important, providing great conversation starters, letting young readers in similar family situations know that ...more
Morgan
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The first installment in this series stole my heart, whereas the rest have been enjoyable but not quite as enchanting. I'm always surprised by the unblinking inclusion of topics that other early chapter books would shy away from (in this installment: cigarettes, family feuds, adult relationships; in others: death, car accidents, etc.) but I think that has something to do with the books' original Swedish origins and the author's desire to publish stories about how children process (real-life) neg ...more
Tara
Dani's dad is in the hospital because someone ran him over. Dani is spending time at the beach with her friend. One day Dani's father comes to visit and he brings his new girlfriend. Dani is shocked and very upset. The book ends shortly after this with little resolution.
Melody
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction
Family story; transitional reader - short story, lots of interest.
Brenda
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Life changes - and sometimes you don't think you can be happy when that happens. With friends and family who cares it seems as though you can get through most things in time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Rose Lagercrantz is a popular Swedish author of books for children as well as for adults. Her first book was published in 1973. She has received many of the top Swedish literary awards, including the August Prize and the Astrid Lindgren Prize.

Dunne (6 books)
  • My Happy Life
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • When I Am Happiest
  • See You When I See You  (My Happy Life, #5)
  • Lycklig den som Dunne får (Dunne #6)