Start by marking “Songkeeper (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Songkeeper (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #2)

Songkeeper

(The Songkeeper Chronicles #2)

War ravages Leira and the Song has fallen silent.

Freed from the hold of a slave ship, Birdie, the young Songkeeper, and Ky, a street-wise thief, emerge to a world at war. Hordes of dark soldiers march across Leira, shadowed by whispers of plague and massacres, prompting Ky to return to his besieged home city in hopes of leading his fellow runners to safety.

Desperate to end
Published April 15th 2016 by Enclave Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Songkeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songkeeper

Start your review of Songkeeper (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #2)
Tricia Mingerink
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Gillian Bronte Adams! After the cliff hanger ending of Orphan's Song, I was waiting not-so-patiently for this book!

This book branched off in directions I didn't expect. From the awesome, lion-riding desert people to the silver-tongued dwarves in the mountains, this book takes the reader on quite the adventure.

And the ending! I was prepared for it because I'd seen a spoiler, but it still hurt! AHHHH!!!!!

I had a little trouble getting into the book at first, but I think so
Sierra Faith
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Christian, Fantasy.

Age Range: 15+ for violence.

Favorite Quote: “I've freed you once tonight, and I would rather not do it again. I prefer to commit treason as few times as possible.”

Series: Book two in the Songkeeper Chronicles, needs to be read in order.

Stars: 5 out of 5 stars.

I love this book and the characters. I was sucked into the story and everyone's life. If you're a lover of action packed fantasies, pick this series up!

I find it unique that the series isn’t just focused on two te
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Someone once said that there can be no beauty without pain, or something to that effect. And, in the case of Songkeeper, it holds true. There is much beauty in this book, but there is much pain as well.

The Good:
-Amos continues to be pretty much my favorite character in the entire book. He's broken, imperfect, struggling- but still brave and determined and unwilling to give up hope. His unwavering protection (sometimes over-protection) of Birdie is sweet, and his interactions with others add
Hope
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My goodness.
Review to come!
Jane
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Aghh this book is SO GOOD! I just can't even think straight anymore. I enjoyed Orphan's Song massively and expected great things from Songkeeper. And I am not disappointed at all.

The characters are all amazingly real, relatable, and just plain awesome. To start off the awesomeness we have the unique but pronounceable names, super great! Add that to complex personalities, struggles and pains. I was drawn ever deeper into the lives of all the characters.
(view spoiler)
Tracey Dyck
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Taking a decidedly darker turn than its prequel, Orphan’s Song, this book follows Birdie through her struggles to hold onto hope when the Song feels distant, and Ky’s misadventures as he tries to protect his Underground friends.

I blame myself for taking almost a month to read this. (Thanks, college assignments.) Perhaps I would’ve been more eager to pick up the book again if I’d read it faster. As it was, it felt harder than I would’ve liked to re-immerse myself in the story from one reading to
Claire Banschbach
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this one as much as book 1, but it was still completely gripping and wonderful!

The characters all grow so much in this one, and there's plenty of fast paced plot and twists to go around. I just wanted more lion riders to be honest. ;) Also more griffin! And I've come to appreciate Amos more. Also Ky is a small floof of emotions and someone just needs to hug him and tell him its going to be alright. And Birdie could use one while we're handing out hugs.

The ending was not ok, and I
E.F.B.
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who aren't sensitive to gruesome, bloody violence
I’m sad that I ended up giving this three stars, and it doesn’t make it any better that this is the second book in just as many months that I’ve given a rating that was lower than I had hoped. For me, three stars usually means “Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.” For this book, I’m modifying that slightly to, “I adored the majority of it, but the ending got so creepy and gruesomely violent I had to skip to the last chapter because that kind of thing really bothers me.” That’s the short version.

The
Shantelle
Songkeeper, book two in THE SONGKEEPER CHRONICLES by Gillian Bronte Adams, had some epic scenes to match it's absolutely epic cover. But, overall, I didn't really get into it. I'm giving it a three-star rating because of the amazing parts, and because I loved the first book in the series (Orphan's Song).

Birdie and Ky wake up aboard a pirate's ship - captives. Amos and the griffon desperately search for their kidnapped young friends. And darkness is ever on the move. At loss of how to get the Son
Victoria Howell
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a good book. Even better than the first. ^ ^ Full review here: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/20... ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though this is the second book in the series, this is the first book of Gillian's that I have read. I found the story world very well developed and was able to pick up what had been happening without much issue. Though I didn't care much for the odd way Amos spoke, I was drawn in by the well developed characters, particularly Ky who was by far my favorite. So much so, that I could have read a book just about him.

One aspect I wish could have been drawn out a little longer was the time spent with
SparksofEmber
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Songkeeper is book 2 in the Songkeeper Chronicles by Gillian Bronte Adams. This volume picks up immediately after events from the first volume, right in the middle of the action. I haven't read the first in the series and while it was obvious I had missed a lot, I never felt lost or confused - events were explained well and woven into the action without any info-dumps. The blurb summarizes what happens pretty well - Birdie heads into the heart of danger with a group of colorful, endearing compan ...more
k.m.s.
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
O.O I'm blown away. This...THIS NOVEL IS AMAZING. Full review to come when I recover. ...more
Victoria Isabel
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh!! I couldn’t put it down. It was definitely much darker that book one but there was so much character growth and the climax was heart wrenching! Great fantasy read.
Clare S-B
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book lived up to the cover, although the characters did not spend as much time in the desert as I had thought they would. The story was fast paced and connected with my emotions and allover I would rate it as even better than the first book. It is darker though, but in that darkness there is a faint hope. It is a Christian fantasy but none of the characters are actually 'Christian' instead there is Emhran, who is like God, and even that is all very subtle and in the background. Which is just ...more
Hope Ann
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely wonderful; better even than the first book if at all possible and much more heartrending. This was not simply a 'middle book' in which the story is only preparing for the climax of the third book. It does build up, of course, but it is also a gripping and exciting story in it's own right.

Things I loved:

Characters - 5/5: They are so fresh and original. Amos, Ky, Birdie, Gundhrold, Sym, Inali, Migdon...there's nothing 2D about them. And the way Gillian has made her characters so human,
Lavay Byrd
Wow! This was such a great sequel to Orphan's Song, and even better as we follow Birdie, Ky, and Amos as we explore more of the world of Leira... and of the Song and the Master Singer! The plot keeps you on the edge of the seat (especially Part 4... still shuddering from the Tarkhan)... only to end with a subtle cliffhanger of feeling some sort of despair... yet hope.

(Might also want to check out "River of Song" after this one (or even before Orphan's Song!). VERY important backstory you might
Melissa J. Troutman
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The stakes continue to rise as the story around Birdie, Ky, and Amos continues to expand. This second book in The Songkeeper Chronicles gripped me from the first page to the last. The action drives nonstop from chapter to chapter, grounded by deep emotions and twisting with the occasional surprise. (No spoilers, but yes, I was completely shocked by That Part.) I laughed out loud and I cried real tears, elevating Songkeeper to the small (but somehow growing) trophy case of books that have affecte ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
Review originally posted on The Road of a Writer: https://deborahocarroll.wordpress.com...

Well, THAT was a sandstorm whirlwind of a read! I'll admit I had doubts in the middle of the book, when it felt pretty hopeless... But with the thrilling epicness overall, I ended up loving it, despite a quibble or two -- which mostly boils down to the fact that I NEED BOOK THREE YESTERDAY!!! Ahem.

I've been breathlessly awaiting this book ever since the last cliff-hanger page of ORPHAN'S SONG, so I'm ecstat
Barred Owl Books
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Desperate to end the fighting, Birdie embarks on a dangerous mission into the heart of the Takhran's fortress. Legend speaks of a mythical spring buried within and the Songkeeper who will on
Jonny
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orphan's Song ended on a cliffhanger for the Ky and Birdie. Songkeeper is the continuation and second of a three book trilogy.

I feel like the characters developed a lot in this middle book in the trilogy as Ky and Birdie went their separate ways and had to develop into the leaders the people around them needed them to be.

Ky with the Underground as he is always butting heads with Cade and how Ky has to do what he thinks is right even when everyone else thinks he is wrong.

Birdie as she struggle
Kendra Ardnek
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know. Just ... it didn't click with me like the other one did - and I'm sitting here only able to remember about a third of the book 'cause I just glazed over a lot of the text. The new culture WAS fascinating, and there were plot developments that I'm quite intrigued by.

But across the board, I just didn't connect, and I think a lot of it was that I never understood why Birdie was suddenly unable to hear the song. It felt like a plot device that happened because the author didn't want t
Carol R.
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
In Songkeeper, young Songkeeper Birdie and former street thief Ky are captives on a slave ship, and Amos the peddler manages to eventually rescue them. Then Ky returns to his hometown to lead his friends in the Underground to safety. Birdie goes on a journey to a mysterious spring that supposedly only the Songkeeper could unleash to defeat the final darkness. But Birdie continues to face doubts about her abilities and her role in that battle. Her capture by the Takran causes her to face her grea ...more
Kim  Gregory
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a harder time staying into this story than I did the first. I don't really like when a story breaks off into two characters doing different things, and this story has quite a bit of that. Ky and Birdie are together at the beginning, but Ky wants to help the Underground, so he goes off from the others. The story goes back and forth between what is happening with Birdie and what is happening with Ky, and they don't coincide. When that happens I jump out of the story and then have to get back ...more
Michelle Bruhn
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one hurt. The more I read, the more I resonated with Birdie. Sometimes I hear the Song, but it doesn't respond the way I want it to. Sometimes the Song is silent. And sometimes books end after stomping all over your heart. I need to start book 3, stat!

Also, I very much want to ride a lion now. :)
Jessica
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good novel

The story gets tough as war crosses the land. I don't want to give anything away, though. I had to read this one in chunks and not nearly as quickly as I generally do. It was good, I just needed more breathers between and sometimes in the middle of scenes. I did want to shake some characters, too, and save them some heartache.
C.R. Leverette
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another phenomenal entry in the series. Great action, good fantasy feel, wonderful characterization. The end was wonderful. A strong sense of despair with a glimmer of hope.
I can't wait for the conclusion!
Naomi Brignola-van calster
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The middle part: the part I dislike the most in stories and real life alike.

Still, I am glad I ventured into this one. A story that takes you along with it and unpretentiously calls you to courage and perseverance.
Rondi Olson
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this second in the series, there are new allies for Birdie and a journey to what he hopes is safety for Ky. I actually like that the story was split between the two characters, and enjoyed what was happening with both of them. Betrayal and cliffhangers, this is a perfect second book.
A.M. Reynwood
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic sequel. I really do enjoy the characters, and this one has even more to love! Well, maybe not that one in particular . . . But the writing is great, the plot exciting, the dangers dark, the sacrifices bitter, betrayals even more so, the ending superb—! Just a whole lot of YES.

I mean, who wouldn't want to cross the desert on the back of a LION?
Songkeeper Chroni...: Spoilers...for those who have finished Songkeeper 33 18 Apr 18, 2016 07:49PM

• Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Brand of Light (The Droseran Saga #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Dawn of Vengeance (Droseran Saga, #2)
  • ワンパンマン 21 [Wanpanman 21] (Onepunch-Man, #21)
  • No Dragons, Please!
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape from the Tower of London
  • 進撃の巨人 31 [Shingeki no Kyojin 31] (Attack on Titan, #31)
  • 進撃の巨人 30 [Shingeki no Kyojin 30] (Attack on Titan, #30)
  • Resistance (Ilyon Chronicles, #1)
  • 進撃の巨人 29 [Shingeki no Kyojin 29] (Attack on Titan, #29)
  • 進撃の巨人 28 [Shingeki no Kyojin 28] (Attack on Titan, #28)
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar #2)
Gillian Bronte Adams is a sword-wielding, horse-riding, wander-loving fantasy author, rarely found without a coffee in hand and rumored to pack books before clothes when she hits the road. Working in youth ministry left her with a passion for journeying alongside children and teens. (It also enhanced her love of coffee.) Now, she writes novels that follow outcast characters down broken roads, thro ...more

The Songkeeper Chronicles (3 books)
  • Orphan's Song (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Song of Leira (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #3)