Start by marking “Just After Sunset” as Want to Read:
Just After Sunset

Just After Sunset

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  44,073 ratings  ·  2,450 reviews
Just after sunset—call it dusk; call it twilight; it’s a time when human life takes on an unnatural cast, when nothing is quite as it appears, when the imagination begins to reach for shadows as they dissipate to darkness and living daylight can be scared right out of you.

Who but Stephen King would turn a Port-O-San into a slimy birth canal, or a roadside honky-tonk into
Hardcover, First Scribner hardcover edition, 539 pages
Published November 11th 2008 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Just After Sunset, please sign up.
Wes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  44,073 ratings  ·  2,450 reviews

Dan Schwent
Willa: After a train derails leaving its passengers stranded, David Sanderson's wife wanders away from the station and he goes looking for her.

On the surface, this was a tale of people who don't realize that they're ghosts dealing with their fate. Beneath, I think it's about how time slips away and the deeper the rut you get into, the harder it is to get out and do something new. His Kingship picked a good tale to start the collection with.

Gingerbread Girl: After leaving her husband, Emily tak
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This was kinda hit and miss for me. I'm not a true fan of short stories so maybe that's what it is. I mean dang..it's Stephen King.

The ones I did like:

The Gingerbread Girl- A woman runner tangles with a very bad man.
Harvey's Dream-short but chilling..thinking that dreams do come true.
Rest Stop-I know this one has been done before but I liked it. Then in the final chapter when King explains his reasons behind the story it made me like this one even more.
The NY Times at Special Discount rates-I
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted here: http://kingreviews2015.blogspot.com/2...

I’m here to talk about my favorite Stephen King collection since “Night Shift” - “Just After Sunset”. If you knew me, I wouldn’t have to say how big a King fanboy I am but I’m sure I’ll provide enough evidence of my fandom before we’re done. Settle in, Constant Reader, and let me tell you a story.

I grew up surrounded by Stephen King. My mother was a huge fan, one who needed every new release on the day it dropped. I
Fabian
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Oh, that age has gone. Oh yeah. Totally. For the last novel with any ounce of originality still left in it by Stephen King was surely the serial-then-(underrated)novel "The Green Mile." And now? Now is the age of rehash (boo "Doctor Sleep"... boo boo BOO!) with an originality factor that registers at about 0.07%.

Therefore yes; this ain't too bad at all, but it's no good either. This is a total miss for me, for I pretty much KNOW, am certain that the writer actually manages to flourish in the sh
Rebecca McNutt
This is probably one of Stephen King's most hard-hitting collections of all time. Just After Sunset is very dark, darker than most of King's material, mainly because it deals with reality just a bit more than usual and brings out deeper characters.
David
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans
There are two "eras" of Stephen King: before and after he got clean and sober. Like quite a few of his fans, some of my favorite King novels are the ones he wrote during his coke-fiend days, when he was just writing whatever crazy shit ran amok through his booze-addled brain. Even back then, his stories were coherent and compellingly written, if sloppy at times and sometimes giving the impression of a train about to go off its rails at any moment. But I really like the old King classics.

That is
Johann (jobis89)
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Any parting could be forever, and we just don't know."

Just After Sunset is the fifth collection of short stories published by Stephen King, containing 13 stories in total. A lot of these stories seem to focus on the aftermath of tragedy, and how people react. Whether this is pertaining to the loss of a child or the events of 9/11, it's a strong theme throughout this collection of short stories.

Usually I will review short stories collectively, but I had gotten a few private messages and comments
Erin
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-2019, king-me
I love Stephen King's short story collections. I'm always amazed by his ability to craft a riveting and fully fleshed out story in so few pages. There have been quite a few short stories by Uncle Stevie that I would love for him to expand into a full novel.

As with all short story collections, there are winners and a few losers.

The Winners:

The Gingerbread Girl- A story about a grieving mothers fight for her life against a sadistic serial killer.

Harvey's Dream- About a woman who fears she may
Will Byrnes
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stephen-king, horror
This is an interesting mix. I found that for some of the stories there was a been-there-done-that feel. In another, my favorite in the collection, a nuclear bomb in NYC tale, I felt as if King had been peeking in at dreams I have had myself. His 9/11 story had a very welcome gentle touch. In another a dark reality strives to pop through into our real world, being held back only by the OCD activities of a series of unfortunates. I thought it was a tribute to H. P. Lovecraft, particularly given th ...more
Marie
Well what to say about this book....sometimes Stephen King is just hit and miss. This was a miss unforuantely as I only liked about three of the stories. I won't be going into detail with the stories, but I will list the ones I liked. I felt like I slogged through over five hundred pages for nothing, but at least I finished the book and it didn't end up on my DNF shelf which normally that is where most of the books end up if I am muddling through them.

The best parts of the book was the Introduc
Richard
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've heard so many people critique Stephen King by saying that his books are always long and he needs editing. That boggles my brain, because to me he seems to be one of the only mainstream authors that consistently releases great short stories, short novels, and novellas. And this book once again proves that he's one of the top dogs of the short fiction format.

This might actually be one of my favorite Stephen King short story collections (and yes I've pretty much read all of them)! This is his
Bill Khaemba

Image result for reading horror

Really enjoyed the dark tales of this collection, featuring some really graphic scenes that will stay with me and exploration of mental illness/grief in a fantastical way. This was a great entryway into King's short story realm.

Some highlights of the collection…

Gingerbread Girl- Follows a mother who’s trying to cope with the sudden death of her infant by jogging until she runs into a crazed maniac.

Stationery Bike- This one took me by surprise we follow an over-weight artist journey to a better
Jason
By far my least favourite short story collection by King, so far.

Largely forgettable. I finished this about a week ago and gave myself time to absorb the material. A week later, the only story I remember anything about was N. N. was a terrific short story (I've also read the graphic novel by the same name) and it was well written. The other stories fell flat, and didn't do much to entertain. In fact, I felt like King wasn't in his usual language groove; the writing just didn't flow like it norm
Heena Rathore P.
Just After Sunset is a collection of 13 short stories. Some of the stories in this book are excellent whereas some are not that good and some are just a waste of time. Stephen King explores the deep and dark corners of one's mind in these 13 unusual stories.

My favourite one is story #8: 'N.' It's really creepy and I totally freaked out. This story begins and ends with a letter and at the end you really feel helpless as you know what's going to happen. This story still gives me goosebumps. It's
Michael
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I love Stephen King stories. There are lots of authors I read, but few that I am as eager to consume as any new work by King (Elizabeth George is a close second). Any new offering by King is a cause for celebration for me.

"Just After Sunset" is King's latest collection of short stories, written over a period of about two years. Thematically, several of the stories look at what happens to us in the moments and years after we shuffle off this mortal coil and several of them are heavily impacted by
Asghar Abbas

Most of the short stories were profound and even heartbreaking, but one of them was ewww. Like what was he thinking ewww. Eww . Eww. Eww.

King often says he writes about his nightmares and writes to tackle and overcome what frightens him. No wonder, you can see why. After all, emptying out all the ugliness can be quite cathartic.

Monolith stones one was my favorite in this collection.
Loubna
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This is a collection of 13 short stories
To be honest not the best of Stephen King I heard a lot of good things about him and starting with this one, not the best choice but I still want to read from him specially after reading Gingerbread Girl story ( it's so good)
Jamie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Just After Sunset is Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, containing a hodge podge of different tales that with one exception had been previously published in various magazines or anthologies. I've liked Stephen King's similar works in the past, despite the fact that some of his so-called short stories have clocked in at novella or even full novel length. This collection, however, contains relatively short works that can all be easily read in one sitting. Unfortunately I didn't car ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I'm giving this book four stars with one exclusion, to be discussed later in the review. Overall, a great, versatile collection. Over the years King has moved away from monsters and vampires and gore and moved into the realm of psychological boogie men and supernatural possibilities. Some of these stories don't have anything otherworldly in them at all. Just regular old human beings are scary enough.

I really liked:

1)Mute: Real life horror with nothing supernatural, and very believable. Outstandi
Arun Divakar
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
A significant portion of my 'free' time outside the book is on the internet. Needless to say, Facebook is the main culprit there. The best part of Facebook to me has always been the outstanding quotes & images shared by my friends. Why this diversion here in this review you might wonder ! Here is why :

A good life must be like a good short story. A solid beginning, interesting characters, strong setup, suspenseful episodes, pleasant twists, fulfilling resolution and the end shouldn't really
Ellen Gail
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a gift! Yay! I'm happier than a cat in a box!

I never would have picked it out on my own, but my friend Ron gifted me this lil beauty and I'm so happy he did! It was a very fun read.

So let's get this candle burning, shall we?

Willa: Why did this one make me cry? Tell me why? It was melancholy and dreamy and all of a sudden I was crying.

The Gingerbread Girl: Surprisingly scary, for what was a pretty basic thriller concept. I loved the execution and the tension! I could feel the fight in Emi
Wayne Barrett

3.5

This collection of short stories wasn't bad, but for someone who is a master at writing shorts, I don't think this one stacked up well with prior collections by King. Still good...just not great.
Bark
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unabridged on 13 CD’s (15 hours)

Warning. This review is going to be long. There are a lot of stories in this collection and I took notes on all of them for once in my life. None though, except for The Cat from Hell, are what I’d consider pure horror but most have some sort of haunting, chilling or suspenseful survival elements. All have King’s swell characterization and because of the short format none venture too far into long-winded territory). The narrators all do a fantastic job of breathing
Thomas Strömquist
Another nice surprise was the 2008 collection of King shorts! My friends perception of this one was less than stellar (even if some really liked it) and for some reason I went in with a bit low (for King anyway) expectations. I needn't have - even if like most collections it has ups as well as not-so-ups, there was no story I didn't care for at all and quite a few I really liked! All in all a good read. The stories:

Willa - Started out very odd, I almost doubled back to see if I missed something
Dawn
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining diverse selection of 13 stories, some more memorable than others - the norm with short story collections.
Over half have a touch of the supernatural (as you might expect), and others are more a case of extreme nightmarish situations. I don't think there were any I hated, but there were certainly some I favoured.

My absolute favourite was 'Stationary Bike'. A man (artist) approaching 40 is given a warning by his doctor that he needs to get healthy before it's too late. The Dr. uses
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JG (The Introverted Reader) by: Donna S
Warning! This review will be incredibly long because I find it impossible to review a collection of short stories without reviewing each story. Feel free to move along.

Overall, this was not a typical Stephen King short story collection. His short stories generally give me nightmares. There were a few horror stories in here, but really he was exploring the post-9/11 world, grief, loss, and the afterlife. Some of his efforts were more successful than others, but the ones that worked really worked
Kandice
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a gem of a short story. You have no idea where it's going. Any of us can imagine being in the narrator's shoes. Sometimes life genuinely sucks! Not often do we have a Guardian Angel out for justice on our behalf. I was flabbergasted the first time I read it and got to the end. It's a mark of how great a story it is that I've read it numerous times knowing the surprise but still willing to take the journey to get to the "reveal."

Merged review:

3/15/15

Let me start by saying I was just
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
This scrumptious lil' candy box of nasty short story surprises is vintage King, each darkly delicious tale accompanied by a ghost ("Willa"), serial killer ("The Gingerbread Girl") or demonic being ("The Cat from Hell"), and all with a chewy moral center. Almost all of these 13 tales have been previously published, but my favorite might be the only one original to the collection, "N.", a story of a psychiatrist who comes to believe that his obsessive compulsive patient really IS the guardian of t ...more
Adam Light
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another truly exceptional collection of King's short fiction.
Cindy Newton
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been years since I've read any of King's short stories. I am just awed by how very many stories he has written. How can one man have so many ideas?? Most of the stories are good, a few great, and a couple just meh, but the man is definitely a fountain of ideas. The ones that I really liked were:
1. "The Gingerbread Girl" -- no "horror" except for the horror of trying to survive a murderous attack by a psycho. I really enjoyed the blow-by-blow of their struggle. It had me on the edge of my se
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover 2 12 Apr 07, 2018 05:51PM
That One Bitch's ...: Genre: Short Stories 1 3 Apr 19, 2017 04:03PM
Stephen King Fans: N -JAS 48 366 Nov 29, 2016 05:20PM
Stephen King Fans: Harvey's Dream-JAS 15 209 Aug 28, 2016 10:03AM
willa 6 60 Oct 27, 2014 08:18AM
Book crossing 2 23 Apr 09, 2014 01:29PM

• Blaze
  • Best New Horror 22 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #22)
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Night Visions 5
  • Magic Terror
  • Duel
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)
  • Shock Rock, Volume I
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • My Favorite Horror Story