Start by marking “Stuff Ive Been Feeling Lately” as Want to Read:
Stuff Ive Been Feeling Lately

Stuff Ive Been Feeling Lately

In Alicia Cook's second poetic effort, designed in the style of an old mixtape, she sets her thoughts to a nostalgic tune. There is no Table of Contents. Instead, there is a "Track List," making it easy to refer to them to your friends with a, "Hey did you read track seven?!" There are no chapters. Instead, the book is divided into two parts, or as one would say in the 90' ...more
Published January 7th 2016 by Createspace Independent Pub

To ask other readers questions about Stuff Ive Been Feeling Lately, please sign up.
Alicia Cook I know some younger readers (14-16) who have read the work in their high school. There is some swearing and mild talk of sex, drug use, mental…moreI know some younger readers (14-16) who have read the work in their high school. There is some swearing and mild talk of sex, drug use, mental illness, and death.(less)

Alicia Cook
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book because a place close to my family's heart, the Willow Tree Center, was facing financial trouble, like many true not-for-profits, and needed funds, fast. I compiled my poetry for the book, drew the cover, and released it in about 3 weeks and donated the first year of funds to the Willow Tree Center. It has been selling beyond my wildest expectations and I have been able to really help Willow Tree. I just wanted to take a moment and thank every single person who purchased and/or ...more
Dana
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I loved how unique this book of poems was. Anyone that has ever dealt with grief and self-doubt will get a lot from this. The idea of setting each poem to a song was brilliant. Of course it worked a lot better for me when I was actually familiar with the song. For this reason I think it would be a cool idea if the book came with a cd of its playlist, or if in the audio version the poems song played after each poem.

There are many books that I have loved, but few that felt like they were written j
Emma
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first half of this poetry book was not my favorite. I was not a fan of the writing much, but the second half redeemed it for me. Side B is made up of breathtaking, black-out poetry. There's something about reading black-out poetry and how slow it is that is beautiful. For that I enjoyed this book a lot.
Catherine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just when I thought I was done with modern poetry, something told me to give it another chance with this book. And you know what? I’m really glad I did.

Through her words, although so personal, I found snippets of myself— this is how poetry is supposed to make you feel.

Titled by numbered ‘Tracks’, this collection read like a playlist of all the author’s highest and lowest moments in her life. After each poem, she included a ‘currently listening to’ where she listed a real song whose theme relate
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Unpopular opinion:This poetry collection is a miss for me.

The concept of poem and music is interesting. I even like the song choices and the topics tackled. Despite it's a quick read, I'm emotionally detached towards it. I'm quite disappointed because I heard wonderful things about this book. The poems in Side A didn't work out for me. Most of them are forgettable and bland but I slightly like Side B with its blackout poetry. Over
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had an awesome time reading this. I really loved the "currently listening to" at the end of each poem and the whole sideB, with the remixes, was an amazing concept.
I really don't know what else to say since I feel like I haven't read enough poetry in my life to properly review this.......
Katie
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well damn
Gretchen Gomez
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
please click here for my full review and included photos of favorite poetry pieces

First off, I want to wish Alicia Cook the happiest of book birthday’s to Stuff I’ve Been Feeling Lately!! It is now officially published with Andrews McMeel Publishing with tons of new poems so I cannot wait to grab this edition and read the rest!

The copy that I am reviewing is her self-published version which I purchased back in January. And easily one of my favorite poetry collections. This collection was full o
Julia Sapphire
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, verse
3.5 out of 5 stars

“The strongest people I know
have been overtaken by their weaknesses.
They know what it’s like to lose control.
The strongest people I know
have cried in the shower and in their car.
They know loss and guilt all too well.
The strongest people I know aren’t bulletproof.
They have felt the searing pain of life’s shots.
The strongest people I know
make the decision every day to wake up
and place their two feet on the ground
even though they know the monsters beneath
their bed will grab a
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed the concept of pairing poems with songs, it was so unique! I got to discover some new music along the way and I loved seeing some of my favourites pop up :)

Some of the songs mentioned:
Taylor Swift- All Too Well, Ed Sheeran- Tenerife Sea, Ruth B- Lost Boy, Ingrid Michaelson- Drink You Gone, Alessia Cara - Here, Brandi Carlile- The Story, Ryn Weaver- Pierre

"It's important to remember
no one needs to be in my corner
as long as I am in my corner"
McKinlay Dennis
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
i received this edition from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. i had previously purchased the original edition.

This book of poetry reminded me that I actually like poetry. So many of them spoke to me, spoke to my heart. The idea to attach them to songs, and also to do remixes, is inspired. I love that aspect to these poems. I can't wait to get my hands on the new edition so I can tab all the poems I bookmarked in my digital copy!

If you're scared to read poetry becaus
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really enjoyed my reading!
I absolutely love the idea that there's one song that goes with each poems, I discovered new songs in some poems, and re-discovered some of my favorite songs with others. (Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Jason Mraz, One Republic and so on)
Track thirty-four is my favorite one in the side a.
Side b is my favorite part of the book. The idea of taking the same poems than in the first part to make a second part with black poetry is an amazing idea and I was so happy when I found
Kamalia
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I accomplished everythin g in my life
in spite of you, not because of you.
You can’t take my happin ess from me anymore,
because you are no longer the underlying reason.
You can’t take someth ing back from someone
you never even held in your own two hands
in the fir st place.
You do not hold my happines s.
You do not own my happiness.
I manifest my ow n happiness.
I came this far on a broken heart—
functioning at maybe, on a good day,
forty percent efficiency.
I thin k you should be nervous
about what I will
Kawther
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.
I got this book as a birthday gift from my friend, and literally devoured it in one day!
This was my first experience with black out poetry -something that i've been intrigued by for a while now- and I can't say I'm disappointed.
the concept of this book is so cool, as the cover suggests; it has two sides and each has 50 tracks.
Side A has the poems, and side B has the black out version of the same poems.
This was a great book to introduce myself to black out poetry and now
Megan Morris
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The concept of this book was enjoyable, unique even. I liked that the author was able to take fifty poems on one side, and use those exact same passages to recreate them into something different. The only downside was that though I liked this a lot, it wasn't exactly memorable at the same time.
Joseph
Feb 27, 2017 added it
Shelves: poetry
Stuff I've Been Feeling Lately by Alicia Cook is third published work. Cook is 28 and from New Jersey. She earned her Bachelor's Degree in English Literature in 2008 and her MBA in 2012. She is employed as the Associate Director of Communications at Saint Peter's University.

Cook explained the purpose for this collection. It was written in fourteen days to benefit the Willow Tree Center a nonprofit addiction and counseling center. All funds from the book will be donated to the Willow Tree Center.
Romie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved every second of it. It was simply phenomenal.

Some people weren't too fond of Side A, but I found it amazing, I even cried a few times, I couldn't help it. The words found their way in me, it felt like this little poetry book was waiting for me to read it. My favourite poem of this side was Track Six.

And Side B ..... yes the poems were shorter but it doesn't mean they were less impactful. I loved the way the author took something 'old' to make something totally new and beautiful. To me it
Anna
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
This book of poetry was so unique, creative, and wonderful. I really loved how the author blacked out her own poetry in the second half to create entirely new poems. I'm a huge fan of these little short poems.

"The strongest people I know make the decision
every day to wake up
and place their two feet on the ground
even though they know the monsters
beneath their bed will grab their ankles"
Pascale Planet
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
meh. It wasn't bad but it didn't impacted my life and it felt like the write picked catchy pop lyrics concept and write about "relatable" stuff. Not my type of poetry but if you're into relatable girl stuff you'll probably like it.
Suraya (thesuraya)
“I can’t lose me.
I’m all I’ve got.”

Lör K.
Free copy provided by Netgalley in return for an honest review

Publication date: 11th April 2017
Review date: 27th March 2017

I’ve always been a lover of poetry, so when I went thought the “Read Now” section in the poetry genre on Netgalley and found Stuff I’ve Been Feeling Lately, I just had to grab it to read. The cover itself is well produced and it made me wonder what the book could possibly be about. Turns out, the whole book is designed as a mix tape of feelings, and is something that is he
Abigail Day
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, poetry
I haven't read a lot of poetry recently, and when I finished this, I thought "why haven't I?". I find poetry so beautiful and personal, it's hard to not relate to it.

There were some poems which didn't exactly hit the nail of the head, however there were many which really stuck. I reached for my highlighter for the first time in years, because I wanted to go back and read some passages over and over again.

I really like the uniqueness of pairing a poem with a song; there were some where I thought
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is such a unique book. It combined poetry and music! I loved how each poem had a soundtrack. I was also pleasantly surprised with the Side B: The Remixes poems. If you like poetry books and/or music, then you should definitely check this out!

Here's my favorite poem from this book:

Track Twenty Two

2015

I didn't just survive this year;
I lived it.

I laughed, I cried,
I scribbled things in journals.
My heart broke, but kept ticking.
My passport earned a few stamps.

I had fancy Saturdays
and la
Ilse
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2017, poetry
Yes, okay, this is my new favorite poetry book now.
The poems really hit me and were really beautiful in my opinion.
The second half of the book was blackout poetry and the first two poems I wasn't too impressed until I noticed it was blackout poetry in her own poems I had read earlier in the book.
I liked the black out poetry but I've seen better versions.
I especially enjoyed the full on poems because those really did it for me.

Thank you Netgally for providing me this book to leave and honest revi
Gabriela Pop
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY NEW FAVOURITE POETRY BOOK!!
Amazing concept and wonderful execution,I don't think there was one poem that I thought was weak,even among those that didn't necessarily resonate with me. Such a great book start to finish.
humble_book_nerd
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't sleep so I finished this achingly honest gem of a novel.
Simant ♥ Flipping Through the Pages
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all poetry lovers
A free copy of this book was provided by Netgalley in exchange of an honest review

Well, what can I say? I an speechless and happy. Speechless, that I don't have enough words to express all that I am feeling after reading this, and happy that I decided to read this book despite having no information about it at all. It was just a cover choice for me as the cover is so unique. Though I read and ebook, but I kept imagining how beautiful it would look when I'll have a physical copy of it.

This was
.Louise.☽
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, poetry
My review available here: https://alittlefoolreads.wordpress.co...
Jennae Cecelia
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alicia's book is astoundingly unique and is so much more than just poetry. One of the first things I noticed when I picked up Alicia’s book was the layout. It was designed exactly like a mix tape. The first 50 pages being called, “side A” while the rest were titled “side B.” Side A was the poems and side B was the remixes of her poems.

To compliment the mix-tape vibe she also adds at the bottom of each page the song she was listening to when she wrote it. I thought the layout was so unlike anyth
Mahnoor ⚯͛
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE!

Raw and beautiful and a fav.🌷
2019 Reading Chal...: January Book of the Month 4 19 Feb 07, 2019 09:57AM
Poetry Readers Ch...: Stuff I've Been Feeling Lately by Alicia Cook 12 34 Jan 11, 2017 12:59PM

• Field Guide to the End of the World
  • Quarter Life Poetry: Poems for the Young, Broke and Hangry
  • Beautiful And Damned
  • The Type
  • Graffiti (and Other Poems)
  • Today Means Amen
  • Bitter Sweet Love
  • Notes on the Assemblage
  • Family Values
  • Magic City Gospel
“If you are lucky enough to have a childhood
friend, try your hardest to grow old with them.
These friends are a unique, irreplaceable breed.
These friends lived through curfews and
Polaroid pictures with you. These friends know
your parents and siblings because they had to call
your house first to speak with you. Your memories
are not frozen in time on social media, but live on
nonetheless.
Most importantly, they remember the person
you were before the world got ahold of you, so
they have this crazy ability to love you no matter
what.
They are the living, breathing reflection of
where you have been. And so, just when you think
you’ve lost yourself for good, they are there to
bring you face-to-face with your true self, simply
by sharing a cup of coffee with them.
As your world grows and becomes larger and
more complicated than your backyard, even if you
establish a life elsewhere, I hope your childhood
friends remain lifelong allies, because mine have
saved my life on more than one occasion.”
13 likes
“You always want one more day.
You always want one more picture
as the old ones begin to fade.
You always want that one final hug
to have lasted just a tad longer.
You always want the fondness
of the remember-whens
to outnumber the might-have-beens.
You want more years, more months,
more weeks, more days,
more minutes, and more seconds.
You want the happily ever after
you always thought you deserved,
but the only thing actually promised
in this life is uncertainty.”
10 likes