Start by marking “Bedtime for Batman” as Want to Read:
Bedtime for Batman

Bedtime for Batman (DC Superhero Bedtime)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  555 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
When a dark night comes to the big city, one little super hero prepares for a great adventure... bedtime! He dons his pajama uniform, speeds upstairs, cleans up the nightly grime, and keeps watch from his towering bunk bed. Written by award-winning author Michael Dahl (Goodnight Baseball, Goodnight Football, and Goodnight Hockey) and illustrated by Ethen Beavers (DC Super ...more
Published August 1st 2016 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Batman

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
this took me 3 minutes to read. lol! while i enjoyed this, it wasn't the best picture book i've ever read. it was a short & sweet read about how kids & superheroes relate in a strange way.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Batman has a checklist to follow when he gets ready...and you have a checklist that will help you get ready for bed! Great book that may help parents put their little 'batmen' to bed.
Sandra
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic bedtime story for superheroes' fans!
Every activity in the boy's bedtime routine is told in a comic fashion. Batman gets the signal: dad points at the clock; Batman gets ready for the action: the boy wears his pajamas. Batman locks away the villains, the boy puts away his toys.

I found this book cute and original. The illustrations are colorful, and the layout allows to follow both stories, Batman's and boy's, in a perfect way. And very important: Batman pictures are faithful to the orig
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
Disclosure: We received a copy from the author/publisher in exchanged for an honest review. This does not influence our review in any shape or form.

I am absolutely in love with this book. It was absolutely adorable. I loved how the author connected Batman to a bedtime routine; you see how people depend on Batman to keep them safe and how the little one had goldfish that depend on him to keep them fed and healthy. I thought the connections between Batman and little kids were excellent and I foun
Wayne McCoy
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
In 'Bedtime for Batman' by Michael Dahl with illustrations by Ethen Beavers, we follow the parallel stories of a young boy going to bed and Batman. It's a wonderful picture book for toddlers and would make a good bedtime book.

We see Batman getting a signal and getting ready to go out at night and fight crime. We see a young boy get the signal that it's bedtime and he has to get ready for bed. The pictures parallel what Batman is doing with the young boy. Batman cleaning up Gotham while the boy b
Stacy Fetters
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clean up crime... all before bed time.
Went to a Batman pajama party at BEA Chicago and received a signed copy for my husband. As you all know, my husband is a Batman nut... (Only I get away with saying that because you know... the love), so i picked this up for him and then I forced him to share. (It's what I do)
Fans old and new will fall in love with this very imaginatively way to get ready for bed. The signal appears, clean up these filthy streets, put all the ignorance away for good and clim
Steven
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for my little heroes at bedtime.
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the rituals of getting kids ready for bed is reading to them, at least it was for me. And having a book about going to sleep is always appropriate. And, if they are comic book fans (or cartoon series fans), this will appeal to them.

As goodnight books go, this is a simple story, but very well juxtaposed. It shows the boy and batman going about their routine and doing sort of the same things. The boy puts on his pajamas, and Batman puts on his costume. The boy puts away his toys. Batman put
Harker
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a really cute book. It had great art and included illustrations of all of my favorite DC characters: Harley Quinn, the Joker, etc.

There wasn't really a story, per se, but this might be just the thing to read to a little one that's being difficult at bedtime. There's almost a side by side comparison of Batman having his adventure and the little boy getting ready for bed. Dreams can contain big adventures,
Jim
A cute bedtime picture book, along the lines of Goodnight, Moon or Where the Wild Things Are. (But maybe not so literary.) I would have definitely bought this for my son when he was in pre-school or kindergarten. Nice art and framing, too.

But it might have been better if the boy had a sister. And maybe see Batgirl alongside Batman & Robin. Little boys aren't the only ones who dream to be heroes.

Thanks to NetGalley and Capstone for a copy in return for an honest review.
Jocelin
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would have never have thought a story about Batman would have made a great bedtime story. I loved how they showed the parrallels of Batman night adventures with a young one preparing for bed.

Super fun book.
Erin
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the art in this book and I would have given it an extra star but there wasn't as much story as I would have liked. It was still very cute and I think my son liked it too. We'll see tonight...if he repeatedly asks me to reread it I'll give my rating an extra star.
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Daphne
Fantastic picture book comparing a child's bedtime routine to Batman's nightly crime-fighting routine. Love the taking care of business page, as well as the bedtime checklist at the end.
Jill
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute bedtime read for the little superhero fan in your life!
Cosette
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Because I love checklists.
Kristen Boers
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Bedtime for Batman, part of a DC for kids series, is fun little book. Like the others in this series, it illustrates a fundamental principal of a child's life (in this case, bedtime) thought the eyes of a child protagonist and their favorite superhero.

As the mother of a superhero obsessed preschooler, I appreciate (like, for real for real) the superhero related content specifically created for the younger fans. So much accessible content is for elementary aged and older fans, so we were overjoye
The Library Lady
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I am grudgingly giving this a 4, because while I like it and it's charming, I am sick of seeing Batman, Superman, etc, pitched to small kids. And then their parents wonder why they want to see the movies, which are clearly aimed at adults?

But this is sweet, as Batmanwanna be goes through his bedtime routine on one page, while the "real" Batman appears on the opposite page. And lord knows the demand is there, and this is a helluva lot better than the crappy beginning readers people insist on read
David Freudenburg
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute and clever bedtime book, especially for boys. Each line of text has a double meaning, one for Batman, and one for the boy who imagines he is Batman. Yet there are TWO illustrations for each line of text, one for Batman, and one for the boy who imagines he is Batman. Cute appendix at the end lists a "Bedtime Checklist."
Erin Buhr
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This super cute goodnight story parallels Batman's night activities with those of a little boy getting ready for bed. It is a clever concept, well executed with humor and sweetness making this the perfect bedtime story for little budding superheros.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Super quick and cute read
Becky
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I CAN'T WITH ALL OF HIS TOYS BEING CHARACTERS. These are seriously the best superhero picture books. Everyone should want all of them.
Ashley MacNichol
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old loved this story. We read it for bedtime and he got a kick out of the story and the illustrations.
Amy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A super cute good night books for boys.
Chris
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed first at Brunner's Bookshelf

My kids are just as big nerds as their Daddy. My son pretends he is the Flash and will then pretend that he is working with Jamie and Adam from the Mythbusters to find out the reason behind the Flash's powers. It is the cutest thing ever. My Daughter is 3 and she loves Batman just like me. I try to show her how amazingly cool the female heroes are like Batgirl, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman. It is a great time to have a little girl because women are becoming mo
Pop Bop
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Clever, Well-Executed Idea

So, here's the deal. This picture book is presented in a split-screen sort of style. On one hand we have a little kid getting sent to bed and on the other hand we have the familiar hero Batman going out on a mission.

Dad points to the clock for the little kid. Batman sees the bat signal in the sky. The little kid runs up the stairs to put on his pj's. Batman goes down the underground stairs to put on his Batman costume. Batman climbs a fire escape, while kid climbs the
Jasey Christensen
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Bedtime for Batman is about a little boy who can be just like batman! On his heroic quest for bedtime, he faces many obstacles like taking care of business, feeding a fish who is hungry, locking away toys that need to be picked up, and making sure he is clean and ready for a good night's sleep. The little boy is a dark knight and the story teaches us that we too can be like Batman in even the simplest of tasks like getting ready for bed.

Activity- Have the children discuss their favorite superhe
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute bedtime story for those superhero fans. It shows the boy and batman going about their routine and doing sort of the same things. The boy puts on his pajamas, and Batman puts on his costume. The boy puts away his toys. Batman puts away the villains. The little boy looks at the clock to see it is bedtime, Batman sees the bat signal and so on. I think you get the idea here. As another reviewer mentioned, a companion book about batgirl or wonder woman would be great to show that littl ...more
Nanci Booher
I love this book. It's bedtime and our hero gets a signal! It is time to clean up Gotham City (clean up his room), take care of business (go potty) and lock away whatever he can. Such a fun bedtime story!
Renee
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Got a kid that loves superheroes but hates bedtime and bathtime? This book is perfect for that! This little boy mimics Batman as he gets ready for bed. It's adorably illustrated and a perfect bedtime book.
Michael Dahl is the author of over 100 children's books. Some of his most popular series are Finnegan Zwake, Library of Doom, and Dragonblood. He resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a haunted house.

He also writes under aliases Chris Carey, Rick Thomas, and Mark Ziegler.
More about Michael Dahl

DC Superhero Bedtime (4 books)
  • Good Morning, Superman!
  • Sweet Dreams, Supergirl
  • Be a Star, Wonder Woman!