Start by marking “The Fourth Piece (Order's Last Play #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Piece (Order's Last Play #1)

The Fourth Piece

(Order's Last Play #1)

Admitting what you are will end everything you know. Embracing who you are will start a war...

Life is great when you’re good-looking and popular…so long as no one knows you’re a vulatto. Being half-alien gets you labeled “loser” quicker than being a full vader. So it’s a good thing Devon, Lyle, and Lawrence can easily pass for human—until the night of the party. Nothing ki
Published July 8th 2016 by 48fourteen

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Piece, please sign up.
E. Ardell Hi Jason! The book will be released in both print and e-book formats available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and directly from the publisher's si…moreHi Jason! The book will be released in both print and e-book formats available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and directly from the publisher's site: https://48fourteen.com/. There will definitely be some give-aways and chances to get autographed copies from me.

No, I don't have any tour dates set, but I do plan to go to some book fests and cons in the future and I will definitely visit Florida :). Take care and thank you for giving me a shout out!(less)
E. Ardell Hello Riley! I'm so sorry about the lateness of my response. I swear Goodreads is very good at hiding things, like new questions and reviews. I just h…moreHello Riley! I'm so sorry about the lateness of my response. I swear Goodreads is very good at hiding things, like new questions and reviews. I just happened to be poking around on the page.

Wow, thank you so much for getting a copy of The Fourth Piece and I'm happy that you found me on FF (fanfiction.net, right?) If so, that's amazing. It means you read my author bio (sniff, sniff... thank you, lol.)

My inspiration for The Fourth Piece comes from so many different places from so many different periods of time in my life. The characters have been with me since I was in the 6th grade, their story has changed so many times, but who they are has remained the same. I love Arthurian Legend, Star Trek, Star Wars, Ender's Game, and The Last Herald Mage. I took from those ideas of leadership and loyalty, brotherly bonds, gifts of magic, and worlds full of color. There are many other stories and shows that I love and that have given me things to think about, but those are the keys.

Thank you for asking me that question and hope my delayed response won't stop you from asking another in the future! I hope you enjoy The Fourth Piece.

Take care!(less)

Start your review of The Fourth Piece (Order's Last Play #1)
Dawn West
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for honest review.**

Definitely a new experience!

It's rare that I get to read a book told entirely from the point-of-views of males. Sometimes we get a dual POV of male and female characters. This was unique for me. I really liked getting into each of the four brothers' heads. Though, one brother, Evan, we don't get to see very much of yet. I predict we will in the next book.

We have three brothers living on earth and one (Eva
Magda Żmijan
If you're interested in a young-adult sci-fi novel with few brothers as main characters I've got just the thing for you!

What is it all about? Three brothers - Lyle, Devon, and Lawrie, who aren't quite human, receive a psychic message from the long-lost brother who needs their help. Well, anyone's help actually, but since the message reaches them it will have to do.

But the boys have no contacts with alien governments and they'd rather pretend to be pure humans then risk being hunted and beaten by
Angelina
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like when in books the first chapters makes you say: Must know what happens next (Yes I am a robot :P)
It had alliens, it had magic and four hot guys. Not the typical YA adult. (love triangles) What I didn’t like as much was that the brothers where represented as heartbreakers and did I mentioned that they were hot?
For me that was one of the disadvantages as I felt it didn’t gave anything to the story, I think the characters were already interesting. I loved how everyone had their own un
Megan | A Page to Turn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4

This book was everything I wanted it to be, and so much more! I do have to say though that for the first 2/3 of the book, I had to keep going back to the chapter heads to remind myself who's POV I was reading... there are a lot of teenage boys heads you get into in this book! It was hard to keep track sometimes. That being said, once I got to know the boys, the chapters became much easier to read and I enjoyed the story a lot more!

I have never read another YA book similar to this on
Beth
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whaaaaaaat? Where is the love triangle? Two characters who meet and instantly fall in love? How bout the YA female protagonist? Ummm where are the irresponsible parents? The dead mom? Quirky best friend?

If you can't tell, I'm a little sick of YA tropes. Of course YA can be a little bit more stereotype-y than adult fiction. With younger readers it's less likely you've read a certain type of story before so you can err a little bit more on the side of been there done that.

The Fourth Piece by E. A
Amanda
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I would like to thank E. Ardell & 48Fourteen for my copy of the ARC. Due to this kind gesture, I've decided to leave a review.

I'm at war with myself over my rating for this book. It kept my interest but somewhere in the middle it kinda fell flat and I didn't know where it was going but it certainly picked back up near the end so I think I would give it a solid 3.

When 3 brothers discover they aren't quite human but not quite full-blown Alien, contacted by a fourth brother who doesn't seem t
lucie
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-english, 2016
“I swear if you kill yourself, I'm going to make sure "stupid" is tattooed on your ass for the angels to see.”

The Fourth Piece is about three brothers who during one party receive a psychic message from their lost brother because he needs their help. After this they find out that they aren’t normal teenagers but future rulers of Rema.

At first was confusing for me to read three point of views, mainly because Lyle and Lawrie’s abilities are similar but after a while I got used to it.
Kristy Cooper
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I normally have trouble getting into novels with more than two point-of-view characters. I easily lose track of who is who and constantly find myself having to back-track to figure out who is speaking. When I read that The Fourth Piece had four point of view characters, who were also brothers, I was like oh no, this is going to be another one of those books. But I could not have been more wrong! Writing from multiple pov's is hard and Ardell excels at it immensely. I never had trouble telling ap ...more
Jenny
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first thing what makes me buy a book is definitely the cover and I love this one! It's amazing <3

'The Fourth Piece' is the debut of author E. Ardell and I have to say, she did a great job with this book!
It took me a few pages to get used to the structure of the book as the reader is confronted with the point of view of not just one main character in it. However, after I got used to it, I got completely addicted to the story. I couldn't lay the book down at all and I didn't stumble over any d
Teresa
Blurb:
Order's Last Play 1

Deb Clarke
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well Written! Interesting Storyline!
I really enjoyed this book. It is written from alternate views of four brothers which, with so many multiple views can sometimes be hard to really sink into the story but I didn't find it a problem and the author does a really good job keeping the story flowing. I was thrown a bit when I first started reading as the authors style was so fast with short, almost dot-point sentences that I had to reread it a couple of times - but you know - those short, almost do
Domoni
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Earth 2022 is not much different than 2016. Except for the aliens. Visitors have been officially visiting for 5 years, though they have been visiting unofficially much longer. There are embassies for other planets and government relations are being made, though humans remain the same. Hostility against offworld visitors, disrespectfully called vadors, and children of mixed descent
Olivia
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The Fourth Piece" is the story of three brothers, Lyle, Devon, and Lawrie with rotating first person perspective chapters. They are contacted by a fourth brother, Evan, who is nearing death, and whose perspective is given in later chapters. These four brothers have been selected by an alien goddess, Order, for a mission which stretches back in time (they have flash backs to this agreement).

This first book seeks to set up a universe where aliens are common and many planets exist. It reads more
Candice
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had been waiting to read this book for a while now and let me tell you it was a complete page turner and worth the wait. I was on the edge of my couch practically gripping the edges of my tablet reading at some parts and blinking back tears from laughing so hard at other parts. These characters, though half- alien, feel very real. I got sucked into their world and can't wait to see where the story goes.

The story starts with three brothers (Lawrence "Lawrie", Devon, and Lyle) who are pretty mu
Kathleen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book starts a series that I am very much looking forward to reading. The author of The Fourth Piece draws us into her universe through the distinct voices of three brothers whose lives and interests are very much like most teenaged boys - girls, trouble, and getting through high school. Dark and mysterious Lyle, his muscular but not-so-swift twin Devon, and hyperactive genius Lawri want nothing more than to live their perfectly normal lives, and pass as human in a world where aliens and hal ...more
Pegan Knight
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
OK so I don't normally read YA books, I leave that for my kids, but in an effort to find more books appropriate books for them to read and something they might enjoy I decided to give it shot.

This story starts out VERY slow and can get extremely confusing, however it does pick up pretty quickly after about chapter 10. Once it really finally gets going you don't want to put the book down, it can start getting intense and actually made my heart race quite a bit after Lawrie was held and they went
Shaddow Wolf
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author is new to me I decided to read this book mainly because of the cover and the description about the book. Lets just say they do not do them justice the book was a page turner and could not put it down. I would highly recommend any one who is of two mines about it to give it ago you won't be disappointed. The characters that make up The Fourth Piece are quite original in there own right, they all have interesting personalities, interactions that play off each other and they also clash ...more
Arianna
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this ebook from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
It's nice and fresh, still a YA but with no obvious love interest(s).
I also liked a lot next book preview. I have great expectations for this series.
I liked Lawrence the most, Devon the least. I am undecided about Lyle.
My vote: 3.5 stars
Wendi Wilson
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. I was a little leery at first, because I'm not a huge sci-fi reader, but the cover is gorgeous and the premise sounded promising so I gave it a shot. I was not disappointed!
The story is told in alternating first-person points of view, but I only had to go back to the beginning of the chapter to confirm who's POV I was in once or twice. The voices and personalities are distinct. Each brother has qualities that you love, qualities that you hate, and qualities th
Jason
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for something to read. Something different from the YA cookie-cutter books that have been coming out lately. This book was suggested to me. It did not disappoint.

Right from the start I was pulled into the story through four brothers. I wasn’t sure if I would like the multiple POV style...but it worked. Each brother has a unique voice, each with his own life of difficulties.

I like how the story starts in a regular neighborhood and focuses on one family, then by then end, I’m looking
J.A. Cintron
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book was amazing when the review request was submitted the author had me at half alien and oh did she place her money where her mouth was. The book starts off with an unknown character who we later find out is the fourth and older brother Evan who we do not physically meet until the very end but it was perfectly done. Next off is Lawrence doing some daredevil stun and almost drowning followed by Lyle the telempath and lastly Devon our little hulk. As the book progresses our characters get in ...more
zoë ❅ (fallxnrobin)
4 stars

Discrimination against aliens? Inter-galactic war? Count me in.

I, personally, am not a big fan of first person POV, much less multiple first person POVs. Ever since reading Veronica Roth's Allegiant, I have developed a strong aversion towards books told from multiple first person POV. So when I opened up this book and saw the huge name, written in caps, under the chapter number and the word "I", I almost wanted to close the book and move on. But the description seemed promising so I decid
Lara
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This book follows three teen-aged brothers who live a privileged life and suddenly find that they can no longer pretend their secret doesn't exist any more. It turns out that this isn't a secret world story, but one where aliens are now living openly on Earth, but are the target of a lot of fear, prejudice, and hatred. Those who are half-human are particularly vulnerable unless they can pass as human, like the brothers in this book.

They've led something of a charmed life, where one brother is p
Nia (Nia's Book Fort)
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I received this book for review from Netgalley after requesting it because I loved the synopsis, plus it had been awhile since I'd read anything even close to Sci-fi. This book was definitely a grower for me; it was written in first person, and as I said in my review of The Sin Eaters Daughter, I'm not a big fan of that particular writing style. This is not a bad review though, and the great plot meant that I quickly got over what is usually a pretty big issue for me.

There was also the fact th
Nicole Taylor
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-drawn characters, interesting premise, intriguing mythology. This is a sci-fi novel lovers of all genres will want to read.
The Fourth Piece is the story of three teenage brothers who learn that their background is not as “normal” as they had believed/hoped that it was, and what they discover leaves them reeling in their sneakers.
While the novel’s genre is science fiction, there is enough “normalcy” to the story, and the charming characters, to entertain readers of all genres, not merely the
Melinda Howard
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I was really excited about reading this book. The synopsis sounded promising and the prophecy intriguing. I liked parts of this book but other parts I didn't. The beginning was really good and my attention, and interest, were piqued. Once more was explained about the Vulattos and aliens inhabiting Earth I was even more excited. What confused me was the god 'Order', the whole prophecy about the four brothers, and the world tha
Elizabetta Holcomb
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
So there's a new YA author on the block and she's showing great promise with this first in the series "The Fourth Piece". Loved the premises of this book. The three, then fourth brother. We get to see these personalities grow at a good pace; not rushed. My favorite brother? Lawrie! His reckless youth and stunts made me smile.
Honestly, there is so much going for this series. It's original with fabulous character development. So, why the 3 stars? Well, 3 stars means "I like it" and I most definit
Kendra - Kendra Loves Books
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full Review at http://kendralovesbooks.blogspot.com/...

I received a copy from YA Bound Book Tours for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book right from the beginning. The book definitely held my interest throughout the whole book.

The book is about 3 brothers Lawrie, Lyle and Devon trying to figure out who they are and how to help their older brother Evan who is on another planet. Evan and their father left Earth at a young age to go their original planet, Rema. All the brothers are half-a
Kristin
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
In 2022, there are humans and aliens, heroes and monsters, choices and prophecies. The story is told by 3 brothers: Devon, Lyle and Lawrence (Lawrie). Early on, I did get confused at times about the names. But I had no problem following along with who's POV each chapter was told from b/c each chapter was clearly identified. Plus, each guy has a distinct personality so if you do forget who's POV you are reading, this was a tell tale sign.

This story kept me guessing what would happen next and why
Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read YA, but I saw this book revolved around 4 brothers and decided to give it a shot and I am glad I did. It combines the best aspects of YA: the pacing and straightforward language. This fast-paced read drips with action and danger. All four point-of-view characters had a unique voice. Yet they all sounded young and masculine.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending, but its the first book in a series, so I am looking forwards to the others.

« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mortal Blade (Magelands Eternal Siege, #1)
  • Furbidden Attraction (Raven Falls #1)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Hell on Earth (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • The Power of Hades (The Hades Trials, #1)
  • The Passion of Hades (The Hades Trials, #2)
  • The Ultimate Agent 3
  • The Song of the Marked (Shadows and Crowns, #1)
  • The Promise of Hades (The Hades Trials, #3)
  • Watch Her Vanish (Rockwell and Decker, #1)
  • Thief (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #1)
  • Employment Interview With a Vampire
  • Of Beasts and Vengeance (Twisted Pages, #2)
  • Things That Should Stay Buried
  • Midnight Kisses (Shifter Island, #1)
  • Never Trust a Demon (Never Series Book 2)
  • Never Love an Angel (Never Series Book 4)
E. Ardell spent her childhood in Houston, Texas, obsessed with anything science fiction, fantastic, paranormal or just plain weird. She loves to write stories that feature young people with extraordinary talents thrown into strange and dangerous situations. She took her obsession to the next level, earning a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Southern Maine where she specialized in young a ...more