Start by marking “After the Lie” as Want to Read:
After the Lie

After the Lie

An addictive and gripping read about love, life and living a lie.

One little lie can make one big difference …

Lydia has the ‘right’ kind of friends, her children are at the ‘right’ kind of school and she’s married to the ‘right’ sort of man – kind, steady, reliable Mark. Her wedding business is flourishing and even though she is at loggerheads with her mother, she couldn’
Published April 29th 2016 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about After the Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Lie

Deanna
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

In 1982, Lydia is thirteen years old. Pre-internet, when mistakes didn't go viral. Like most kids she enjoys riding her bike for hours on weekends and listening to music on her Walkman inside when it rains.

Lately she's been going to the library after school to find books for school projects. At least, that's what she tells her mother she's doing....

"And that little lie made the big difference. It led to the ten minutes I could never get back, never undo."

***Possibly minor spoilers (bu
Christine
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Sue1958 4
I would like to thank Net Galley, the wonderful Bookouture, and author Kerry Fisher for an advanced copy of After the Lie in exchange for an unbiased review.

I went into this one cold, not knowing at all what to expect and just trusting Bookouture to serve up another winner. I was unfamiliar with Kerry Fisher, a relatively new British author. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this engaging read. I would call it glorified women’s fiction with a big message.

The theme of the story is what ha
Tammy
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-okay, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this one. I found it hard to wrap my head around the lie that was controlling her life controlled her life as much as it did and the wrong that she did as an adult was way bigger in my opinion. I almost don't think that the wrong as an adult even needed to be in the book. The second half was a 4 star for me.

So a solid 3.5 stars
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley in exchange for a review.

The lie was concocted when she was 13 years old. Now 43, Lydia leads a reasonably happy life with husband Mark and their two kids. The thing with lies, though, is that they do not rest easy. Makes for a rotten foundation, and when it starts to crumble as it inevitably will, everything comes down with it, the good right along with the bad.

When did loyalty start to mean so very little? Lies. Old ones, new ones, big ones, little ones. The smel
Malia
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, when will we get our half stars, Goodreads?! There was a lot I liked about this book, but after about half-way through, I started to feel a bit bored. The big secret did not strike me as so huge or awful, but in a way Fisher does illustrate how easy it may be for a small-ish secret to spiral into something bigger, and that sometimes telling the secret is scarier than the secret itself.
Anyway...the story was quite good, the characters felt real, but I didn't connect to Lydia, the
Carol
May 14, 2016 added it
Shelves: e-galley, fiction
My sincere appreciation is extended to Bookoutre and Netgalley for providing the e-galley of After the Lie, published April 29, 2016.

Is the scenario in After the Lie plausible or is it just another lie? That’s the question for this reader.

Lydia experienced a life-changing event when she was just thirteen. She carries this secret with her into adulthood never divulging the full impact of it to her husband, her children, or any close friends. Lydia likens it to “a Bazooka bubble gum of a lie” eng
Chloe
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Lydia is a happily married woman in her early forties with two seemingly wonderful kids. She runs a flourishing wedding planner business and her husband Mark runs his own business remodeling houses. The only problem Lydia has is her overbearing, judgmental mother and her dog Mabel who even though she tries refuses to be trained. But Lydia’s life is based on a big lie that her husband Mark knows nothing about. When Mark lands up a project with the newly moved McAllister’s Lydia’s lie she built he ...more
sue
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lies

No matter who says it, who its said to, white lie or little lie, its still a a lie
One lie leads to another cover up which becomes another like until you know it you have created a huge mountain of lies that can come down on you like an avalanche and you are covered in the debris.

This has some humorous moments but with an impact that you just don't realize at the time.

Its well written, it keeps you wanting more and its very [what I would call] conversational, where there is lots of chatt
Petra
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know, sometimes you read only a page or two, and you know you're going to love the book? That's what happened when I glanced at the prologue of After The Lie. I simply fell in love with the writing style. I'm really OC about reading my NetGalley books in order of publication date but once I saw the prologue that system of mine went out the window. I put away my other book and devoured this one in a day.
Lydia and her parents have been keeping a secret for thirty years. Lydia never told her h
Carrie
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Lydia has spent her whole life living a lie. She's married to the right kind of man, her kids go to the right know of school, her business is winning awards making her life seem perfect from the outside but now her past is catching up to her. She's never shared what happened to her at thirteen, her husband doesn't know, her children don't know and now her secret is coming back to haunt her.

For thirty years Lydia's family has held the secret and covered up the truth. Now the one person that could
Noeleen
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
My thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review After The Lie by Kerry Fisher

This story starts in the 1980s with an event in Lydia’s teenage years. An event, that becomes not only a secret but a lie and cover-up which follows her into her adult life. Lydia has been living a lie and hiding a secret from her husband, children and friends. One day Lydia’s past and deception catches up with her.

This book is well written and it did highlight both the time before and after
Renita D'Silva
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this WONDERFUL book and all I can say is wow! What an amazing, roller coaster of a read! Heart wrenching and heart warming, this lovely tale is one to treasure. The author's descriptions are beautiful, every character so real and relatable. I loved Lydia so much and was with her, experiencing everything she felt. The story is fast paced and full of twists, it brims with humour while at the same time making a point. One I will re-read to pick up all the nuances and gems of stunning ...more
🔮⚡️Voracious
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
My sincere thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Kerry Fisher for an advanced review copy of 'After The Lie' in exchange for an honest review.

Most of us know the weight of a lie or the burden of keeping secrets. And for those who claim to not know, well, my guess is they're probably lying. I'm definitely no stranger to keeping a few secrets - mostly from my husband and almost always about how much I REALLY spend on books!!

I loved this book. I was hooked from the very first chapter and drawn so de
Jules
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After the Lie is a great family saga full of secrets and suspense. This story involves lies, jealousy, regret, and perhaps a little forgiveness along the way.

I really enjoyed this book. It had a steady pace and the plot was well written. I loved how the story progressed throughout. It was hard to put down and sometimes had me feeling on edge.

There was a great mix of characters. I loved getting to know them all, and found it interesting how my views of the characters would keep changing througho
Elaine
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finished this book a few days ago but couldn’t put fingers to keyboard straightaway because it was one of those reads that I had to cogitate over and decide whether or not I had actually enjoyed it (answer: yes) and most importantly, how to review it without giving any of the story away but at the same putting across the message that it is a book that is worth picking up. It is the story of Lydia who, in 1982 at the age of 13, made a mistake, one that had consequences not only for her but her ...more
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lydia’s past has come back to haunt her, in the person of an ex-boyfriend who took Polaroid pictures (remember those? played a role in the Profumo scandal) of his 16 y/o self fooling around with the 13 y/o Sally (now Lydia). Somehow her dad got hold of one of the photos, which called to my mind the opening lines of a C&W favourite:

Well, Becky was a beauty from south Alabama.
Her Daddy had a heart like a nine pound hammer.
Think he even did a little time in the slammer.

“Well, Sally was a beauty
Melissa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“I don’t think you see yourself as others see you.”

This dynamic cast of characters, the author’s way with words and the wittiness of the story all came together in a way that completely consumed me. As the number of unread pages became less and less, I was seriously dreading it. I didn't want this one to end.

By all outward appearances Lydia's life is perfect – a great husband, two kids in a prestigious private school and her own thriving business. But underneath all that is a lie that she’s be
Louise Wilson
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This really lets you know why you should never lie as no matter how small the lie is it takes no time in escalating.

This is the 1st book I've read by the author and I like the style of her writing.

This lie has been going on for 30 years and Lydia feels that her world has been built around it. She also knows it will catch up with her 1 day.

This is an enjoyable read with believable characters , drama and laughs.

I would like to thank Net Galley, Bookouture and the author Kerry Fisher for my ARC in
Anna
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2016
No idea how this has an average of 4.2 stars; it's an two-dimensional boreathon that threatens a twist but delivers nothing.
Ellie
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the Lie by Kerry Fisher is the story of Lydia whose seemingly perfect life-wonderful husband, two teenage children (convincingly and lovingly depicted), thriving business as an event planner-is all threatened by a lie, to cover up a mistake she made as a teenager. No one but Lydia and her parents know the truth-until someone moves into her town who could destroy her entire life.

I was absorbed in this tale of the corrosive effects that lying can have, how a lie can eat away at a person, rob
Andrea
Shelves: owned-books
thoroughly engrossing page turner of a book.
The story revolves around Lydia and a secret that happened when she was 13. When Sean arrives in the community 30 years later the past begins to unravel.
The author is very perceptive and has put in many references that we can identify with in the days before the internet came into our lives and the way we live now.
The story is so well written that you can sympathise with all the characters.
I can thoroughly recommend this story about relationships, fami
Denise
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
I devoured this book over one weekend, it's a fascinating book that I enjoyed from cover to cover. The author has a unique way of really drawing you in as I was unable to put this book down.
After the Lie is a captivating, compelling read and Kerry Fisher is definitely an author whose books I will eagerly watch out for in future.
Michelle
Mar 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Bookouture in exchange for an unbiased review.

At the beginning of After the Lie by Kerry Fisher, we meet Lydia, who has a seemingly perfect life. Great job, great marriage, two kids, a dog. But, Lydia is living a lie and someone from her past who knows all of her secrets has just showed up in her town and chaos will ensue.

So goes the description.

This is being hailed as a Liane Moriarty but, let me tell you, friends, it is NOT
Karen
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of those stories where one lie, or omission to tell the truth, leads to even bigger lies until eventually the whole can of worms explodes. I was desperate to know what had happened that was so awful and have to admit to being a little underwhelmed when it was revealed. Compared to what can happen today, I didn’t actually think the ‘secret’ was that bad but Lydia had convinced herself that if the truth was exposed her perfect life and marriage would be ruined.

This was the first book
Anne
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book absolutely blew me away - if it's not one of my Books of the Year, no-one will be more amazed than me.

Narrated by Lydia - wife, mother, successful event planner, reluctant rugby club fundraiser - this book takes you straight into the heart of her family. Her husband is Mark - a kitchen fitter who takes pride in his work but maybe isn't as pushy as he could be in the selling, laid back peacemaker at home, steady, gentle and loving. The teens are the most "real" individuals of that age I
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I've just finished reading this book and I start off by saying that I absolutely loved it and that even though this is the first book I've read by this author, Kerry Fisher goes straight away to my 'most favourite authors' list.

"We all make mistakes, pet. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to pay a high price to put them right."

The story starts in 1982 when Sally is a teenager. She tells a lie to her parents and foolishly makes a very, very stupid mistake which will have serious consequences. Co
Tracy Shephard
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1982 was the year that defined Lydia’s whole life.

A crucial 1o minute decision would shape her and her family’s life forever. Now 30 years later a chance meeting with someone from the past threaten Lydia and her mother’s lives and rake up a secret they thought they had long buried.

Kerry Fisher’s novel is woven with funny and amusing narratives, it is also filled with moments that fill you with dread as Lydia tries to keep the lid on her shameful secret, that she has kept from her husband and her
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
Shelves: netgalley
This is the first book I've read by Kerry Fisher and when I read the description I thought it would be a book I'd enjoy. After many stops and starts with life getting in the way I finally got the chance to read and realised it was going to be a book I really loved.

Lydia has lived a lie for 30 years but all of a sudden a face from the past enters her life and Lydia is torn between telling her husband the truth or trying to live her perfect life without the lie being revealed.

Kerry has a way of
Susan Hampson
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It all started with a lie that snowballed into a blizzard. This novel covers so many moral dilemmas, it may have begun with a lie but it was the actions afterwards that made it tragic.
Kerry Fisher's novel got me hooked. I wanted to know the secret that had continued for 30 years then realised it was people like me they had to get away from. Human nature made me want to be included in the loop, that itch to know, but not only know the need to tell one other person. The lie or knowing it is power
Gill Paul
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued to learn what 'the lie' might be in Kerry Fisher's latest novel and was not disappointed. She shows how brushing a traumatic experience under the carpet produces repercussions that last for decades, poisoning marriages and affecting subsequent generations. She is a genius at describing the nuances of family life with humour and pinpoint accuracy: I chuckled over her descriptions of the idiosyncrasies of teenagers and loved the deep warmth of maternal love underlying the book. It' ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 08, 2017 09:45AM

• Revenge
  • The Misadventures of a Playground Mother
  • Christmas Under a Starlit Sky (A Town Called Christmas #2)
  • Secret Somethings
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
  • Those Summer Nights
  • The Summer of Secrets
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • The Law of Attraction
  • Thirteen (Psychic Surveys Companion Novels, #2)
  • The Christmas Lights
  • Return of the Magus: A Supernatural Magic Thriller Trilogy (The Sacred Quest Trilogy #3)
  • Revenge of the Vampir King (Thrones of Blood, Volume 1)
  • Two Bar Mitzvahs (No Weddings, #3)
  • Trust No One (DI Mike Lockyer, #3)
  • The Spa Day
  • Barbed Wire and Daisies
  • Cauldstane
“Who didn’t bother emptying the dishwasher but just stuck a bowl on the top for the tidying-up fairy to deal with.” 0 likes
“The pointlessness of motherhood. I’d spent all that time saying, ‘Look both ways’, ‘Don’t go off with anyone’ and ‘Here’s a Haliborange and Omega-3’ and all that my kids would remember about me was my ability to ruin their lives.” 0 likes