Start by marking “Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)

Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-Sitters Club #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,030 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Kristy, Claudia, Mary Anne and Stacey have had some strange adventures since they started the Baby-sitters Club. But nothing's been as spooky as what's going on right now. The baby-sitters have been getting mysterious phone calls when they're out on their jobs. When a phone rings and they pick up, there's no one on the other end of the line.

Claudia's sure it's the Phantom
Published September 1st 1995 by Scholastic (first published 1986)

Rhiannon
"Well, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I'm not up to trigonomulus, or whatever it is she does. We can't all be scholars." - Claudia, expressing frustration with both math and her sister, who is an Android being, probably from the future, and possibly "related" to Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Was Claudia described as having almond-shaped eyes:
Thankfully, she did not describe her own eyes this way.

Was Mimi's accent described as rolling:
Yes! Like a "ship at sea."

How many times was the word inc
Cait S
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this is an older book and we've come a long way since it was written.

But.

Can. We. Stop. Telling. Girls. That. Boys. Are. Mean. Because. They. Like. Them.

This is a gross and abusive idea to continue to perpetuate. It needs to stop. I am raising two little boys. My 2nd grader had his first crush this year and you know what I told him?

To make sure to include her in all his games at school and to notice and say nice things about her. I told him the absolute worst thing he could do would be to
Ciara
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another classic of my childhood. i remember this one came out around halloween--veyer thematic, as the entire premise is that claudia has a crush on the school poet, travor sandbourne, & hopes that he'll ask her to the halloween hop. in the meantime, a local robber called the phantom caller has been calling the homes of rich people & then breaking in & stealing jewelry when no one answers. the babysitters are concerned that someone may rob the houses where they are babysitting, or th ...more
Ainsley
Mar 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
If you ever get a call from me asking about a blue ribbon, you'll know what to do. If you've read this book, that is.
Rhonda
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
And here begins my feminist reading of The Baby-Sitters Club. I don't love the premise of this, that boys tease and are mean to girls they like. These are some strong women, but they give in too quickly to guys who are mean, just because they like them!
Logan Hughes
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
The baby-sitters choose to fear a jewel thief.

The babysitters are spooked by a news story about a jewel thief who calls homes and then hangs up without saying anything to make sure no one is there before he comes to rob them, especially after Claudia and Kristy receive “phantom phone calls” at their babysitting jobs. Various creepy sitting jobs follow, most of which are made more creepy by the girls’ expectations of disaster. Kristy is creeped out by the Brewers’ next-door neighboor, whom Karen
Kellee
Reread for #BSC #bookaday 6/13/2011

All of the girls in the baby-sitters club are readers! Within this book, there are shout-outs to Nancy Drew, Ramona Quimby and The Secret Garden! And in the first book it mentioned Peter Rabbit and Where the Wild Things are. Stuff like this makes me so happy.

I also liked how the book deals with a struggling student. Claudia has a high IQ, but struggles in school. Another way that Ann M. Martin makes sure that every reader will see a reflection of themselves in
Alisse
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was one of the best books yet. My favorite part was when ever Claudia and Kristy gats these phone calls that when ever they pick it up nobody is on the other end of the line. And it turns out that the people who called Claudia and Kristy turned out to be their lovers who wanted to dance.
Mirabelle
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger! Just to let you know, this book is so amazing and it makes me wonder why Raina Telgemier didn't make a graphic novel out of this like she did with other BSC books
Odessa
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a really good book, and it had mystery and creepy things. It's really hard to put it down because you don't know what will be next. Warning: If you get scared of robbers easily, DON'T READ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Janet
Mar 18, 2007 rated it liked it
i think sley put it best: this book has staying power. Have you seen my blue hair ribbon?
Sara
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED Tha Babysitter's Club series as a kid. Claudia was my favorite and I owned this book at one time. I truly hope they are still being read by young readers today!
3.5 Stars

A very cute story and a well written middle-grade mystery.
Katie Fitzgerald
The plot of this second book in the BSC series, Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls, revolves around a continuing local news story in Connecticut about a thief who makes hang-up phone calls and based on whether or not someone is home, breaks in and robs the house of expensive jewelry. Claudia, Kristy, Mary Anne, and Stacey hear this news story, and start to worry about what would happen if a robbery took place during a babysitting job. Over the course of the next few weeks, leading up to Hallowe ...more
Tracy Poff
Claudia, Stacey, Kristy, and Mary Anne formed the Baby-sitters Club a few weeks ago, and since then, things have been going well: they've had plenty of business, and no big trouble with the kids they're baby-sitting. Lately, though, there's been news of a thief, dubbed the Phantom Caller, who calls people, hangs up, and then later steals their jewelry. And he seems to be moving closer to Stoneybrook, where the girls live.

On top of all this, the boy Claudia likes, Trevor Sandbourne, doesn't seem
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first book about Claudia, our Japanese-American fashion diva. Lots of people who discuss these books kinda fun-lovingly make fun of the outfits she wears--which, even in the 80s and 90s, sounded kinda ridiculous, but at least they were individualistic in a way that was NOT an Establishment Way Of Being Unique. But for some reason, the thing that always stuck in my head was that Claudia hid junk food all over her room! ALL OVER HER ROOM! I did that a few times after being inspired by ...more
Robin
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, despite the fact that Kristy shouted, "One false move and I'll punch your lights out!" at a room full of children in this book, and despite the fact that she agreed to go to the dance with the stalker in the bushes in front of the house where she was babysitting (yuck), I really enjoyed this reread. It's another solid effort from the patron saint of babysitters, Ann M. Martin. The later books don't contain gems of character descriptors like, "an old, whiskery face with snappish little eyes ...more
Quinn Collard
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
Dawn
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Oh, the BSC. After getting back into the Baby-sitter's Club books with the new prequel, The Summer Before, and the first BSC book, Kristy's Great Idea, I thought, what the heck, I'll keep on going! So I read the second BSC installment, Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls. I still maintain that these are great books, especially for pre-teens. But they even hold up pretty well after you've gotten older and more cynical. My heart actually quickened a little when the phone rang and no one was there, ...more
April
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Amancay
even Alicia remembers this mystery...

---
Número dos, señoritas y señores... this is so much fun! I just plowed through this one (in a wider spread set of stints then the first book)as well and was quickly drawn into the mystery and the "drama".
For a young group of gals these girls are head smart with a lot of bright ideas for combating their own insecurities whilst maintaining a peaceful atmosphere for their charges!
Natalí
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, oldie, bsc
Continuing my re-read of the BSC books in Kindle edition, it was fun to enter Claudia's mind, as most of the books I read back then where Maty Anne's and Kristy's. I specially liked he way Claudia, even as she is VERY different than her two friends for always, tries to find common ground with them so they don't drift apart. Though, the whole "truth" about THEIR Phantom Caller was a bit of a let down. I'm already in book 3 ;)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I know what you're thinking, the Babysitter;s Club? Really?
But yes really, I loved this series when I was growing up, in fact this is the series that started it all for me. This is the series that made me love to read so for that alone, it rates high in my book. :)
Jessica
The BSC books were the first book series that I remember reading (and rereading and rereading)on my own so I think they had had a lot to do with forming my ideas about storytelling and fueling my love of reading. So much fun and nostalgia in picking up childhood favorites again.
Suzanne
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wobble
It was ok - I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had nostalgia value for me, but I never really liked babysitting :) I thought it did a good job with showing that at night in a strange house really can be spooky!!
Rachel Brand
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is still one of my favourite Babysitters Club books. A lot of people hated the mysteries but I always found them more interesting than the books purely about babysitting. Plus, the original books (written by Ann herself) were much better than the ghostwritten ones.
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there a real phantom

I would give this book five stars because it is full of suspense and surprises. And it always made me want to read more. I recommend this book to all the people who babysat for someone late at night and felt a little bit sacred.
Kristie (fabk)
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, childhood-favs, 2015
4 Stars

Claudia, Claudia, Claudia. You were always way too cool for me. But I love Mimi, so I loved your books for your love of Mimi.
Ellen
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katie's reading list
I like this book so far because it's really scary and I want to know what's going to happen next! I think it's like a Nancy Drew book. I love mystery books!
Christie Tulloch
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls was a very fun mystery story. I love the Babysitters Club series. Ann M Martin certainly knows how to write fun books that reel you in.
  • The New Girl (Sweet Valley Twins, #6)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Kristy and the Snobs (The Baby-Sitters Club, #11)
“Honestly, boys can be such pains.” 0 likes