Start by marking “Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)” as Want to Read:
Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)

Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation

(The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2)

This summer, the Baby-sitters and a whole bunch of the kids they sit for are going to Camp Mohawk! With the girls as counselors-in-training, and the kids as campers, it'll be just like baby-sitting--in the woods!

The Baby-sitters soon discover that camp isn't just nature walks and making lanyards. Dawn gets lost in the wilderness overnight. Kristy learns how to use mascara,
Published July 1989 by Scholastic (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation, please sign up.
Melissa All the Super specials are longer. All the girl's narrate the story so you get to see more than one perspective. I think it helps younger readers be…moreAll the Super specials are longer. All the girl's narrate the story so you get to see more than one perspective. I think it helps younger readers be ready to read slightly longer books which becomes necessary for students as you get into middle and high school. I read Babysitter's Club books starting around age 8 or so and looked forward to these longer editions.(less)

Meg
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-in-14, ya
MARY-ANNE ALMOST GETTING HER EARS PIERCED AT SUMMER CAMP: STILL AS TRAUMATIC AT 29 AS IT WAS AT 9.
Ciara
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
a classic early babysitters club super special. apparently dawn spends a lot of time taping movies off TV with her VCR. does that date this shit or what? two movies she has taped & shown the other babysitters are "the parent trap" (kristy speculates that dawn wishes she could get her parents back together...even though dawn's mom is dating mary anne's dad & dawn & mary anne seem really psyched about that) & "meatballs" (pretty racy for the BSC). after one viewing, the girls start ...more
Lisa
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best Super Special! I think it's the first time you really understand Logan and Mary Anne's relationship. Seriously - great books for 8-13 year olds :)
Logan Hughes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: babysitters-club
The entire club gets summer jobs as counselors-in-training at a summer camp.

Even Stacey and Logan! (Mallory and Jessi are "junior CITS", a new position made up just for them because Mallory is a squeaky wheel, which basically means they are campers.) The gimmick of this one is that Stacey is making everyone write notebook entries on their camp experiences so she can have a BSC keepsake. Postcards to family members and friends back in Stoneybrook start each chapter.

This is one of the better Supe
hannaH
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still, after all these years, my absolute FAVOURITE BSC book. It's shocking how many pointless factoids I remember about this delightful tale of Summer Camp hijinks- Stacey wanting to read 'Catcher in the Rye' on the bus, the way the girls called Mrs. Means 'Old Meanie', Jessi & Mallory being called 'Oreos' (even though Mallory isn't black), the insane asylum escapees in Peacham, the inchworm Claudia put on Sally's pillow, 'Your Love-Bunny'... Oh golly, I could go on and on about this utter ...more
Liz
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fourth-grade
A little blast from the past. Wanted to reread some of my fourth grade favorites to see how they match up with current children's lit. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Yes, the Baby-Sitters Club books are repetitive and often trite. But, even as books written 20-30 years ago, they are pretty progressive in their messages about friendship, self-awareness and cultural differences. It's no wonder I adored these books as kid and that kids are still reading them today.
Ashley
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bsc, own, reread, ebook
YAY FOR SUPER SPECIALS! I don't really have much to say about this book other than professing my love for these books. Despite the fact that the girls were on a separate side of Lake Demidonkey, there was still a romance squeezed in. We met some new friends that we'll never hear from again. And the illustrations in this book were just the doodles on postcards, so nothing great.

This book does make me want to go to summer camp (something I never got to do when I was younger) although the fact tha
Nicolette
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm relieved that this super special met expectations after the first one bored me to tears. Camp+BSC= happy nostalgia.

What is that Meatballs movie that was referenced 100x?
Kasey
This was always my favorite super special. Even twenty some years later it holds up.
Shira
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
the baby sitters decide to go to the summer camp from meatballs (the rich kids' camp, camp mohawk) because they love that movie a lot. the 13-year-olds are all CITs, and mallory and jessi are regular campers/"junior CITs". see the narrator plotlines for more plot.

-stacey: CIT to 6 year olds (karen brewer is in her cabin). a practical joker who talksh like thish named nonie is also in her cabin. she doeshn't play any practical jokesh on shtashey, which is kind of a buzzkill. stacey gets sick (she
Julie Decker
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The babysitters are off to camp, flexing their sitting skills as counselors in training (importantly referred to as CITs). Since the girls are split up and can no longer rely on their camaraderie to get them through everything, each girl has her own experience blending in with the mini-culture of her cabin, and each has to take care of campers and have her own adventure. Kristy is frustrated by "girl culture," Mary Anne has to prove she has a boyfriend, Claudia meets a guy who's Japanese like he ...more
Nancy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In which the Cult watches Meatballs and decides camp would be the funnest thing. In a major plot twist, they're all made CITs. Except Jessi and Mel-ry, who get the brilliant idea to be Junior CITs. MA makes a fool out of herself, STFUDawn is generally annoying, Stacey has the plague, and K. Ron gives in to peer pressure. Also, Caludia falls in LUV again cuz the dude'so Asian and the Junior CITs encounter racism in what I think is a hilarious way. Oh, and Charlotte Johanssen is annoying as hell.
Jenn
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bsc
"So Dawn tapes "The Parent Trap" off of TV (my all-time favorite movie btw and no I am not talking about that Lindsay Lohan monstrosity (okay it's not really that bad lol)) and makes the BSCers watch it every time they come over to her house. After the 5 millionth time, they decide "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we got to go to camp?" And *tada*"....continue reading at: Give a Hoot, Read a Book!
Kireja
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book through my library overdrive account. Definitely would have liked it better if I could actually read some of the diary entries. Although I could enlarge the font size of the actual story, I couldn't zoom into the images of the diary entries. So, I just skipped some of them. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss much, but still ...
lisa
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The baby sitters go to camp for some reason, mostly just as an excuse to get them out of Stoneybrook, but to keep as many Stoneybrook characters around as possible. Even though I loved Super Specials as a kid, and read them avidly, for some reason I thought this one was an incredible bore. It may have been due to the fact that I have no interest in camp books at all. I put off reading this one, so I was ten or eleven when I finally got around to it.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
S
Leah
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has fewer storylines, which was nice. Also, this time Logan's part of the story. Although, he doesn't have much to do with the others in the BSC in this book. The only two that spend much time together are Jessi and Mallory. They teach the younger girls dance. Mary Ann and Kristy deal with girls that are trying to change them. Claudia meets another boy. Dawn gets lost in the woods after taking over for an absent counselor. Stacey gets injured and sick. There is some mocking and peer pre ...more
Samantha
This was always one of my favorite Super Specials. I always wanted to go to camp as a kid, but my parents would never let me go. So things camp-related always fascinated me. Even now it's held up pretty well with some fairly standard camp-esque plots. Stacey rolls in poison ivy, literally. Kristy lets other girls give her a makeover. Mary Anne gets brave and tries to sneak to the boys side of camp. Claudia finds a long distance love. Mallory and Jessi run up against racists....wait, what? Well t ...more
Brooke
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
🎵 I love you, you love me🎵
🎵Time to read a Special BSC🎵
🎵With some camping adventures that are two weeks long🎵
🎵Let’s all sway to the Barney song🎵

Seriously, the Baby-Sitters Club members on the cover remind me of the “I Love You” song from Barney and Friends.

The adventures were very awesome, but I was disappointed about the camp outfits and unsure about liking Mary Anne. I can’t wait to read the next Super Special.
Danni Green
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r4k
I’m really enjoying my trip back in time with my favorite series of all time.
I’m also really glad I have enough awareness now to know that what I’m reading is full of casual racism, ableism, and cis/heteronormativity, and I wish someone would authorize a “new and improved” reboot of these books rewritten to address those issues!
Moo
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I love Camp Mohawk!!"
Laughed out loud at the part where they pee their pants because they were laughing so hard.
Kylie Spice
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Both completely ridiculous and absolutely wonderful, as so many of my childhood favorites were.

Love that this tackles, however briefly, snarky racism. I had completely forgotten that storyline.
Sydni
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 4-5-stars
So fun to read a book about summer camp. None of the stories dive too deep, but still gives you feel-good summer vibes.
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This super-special volume involved a sleepaway camp where the Baby-Sitters Club applied to become counselors-in-training. Of course, camp is a great place to meet boys and be goofballs, so there's a lot of that. It's all in a pretend diary that's Stacey's idea, so the perspective shifts around.

I remember liking this one for some reason--I liked the descriptions of camp and the way each cabin sort of developed its own little ecosystem. I'm probably giving it more credit than it had on its own, be
StephanieNicole
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 7-13, nostalgic 30-somethings
I loved reading the Baby-sitters Club books when I was a kid, and re-reading this one brought back many wonderful memories. This is one of my favorite BSC books. The story takes place from multiple perspectives of all the sitters as they attend an overnight camp during summer vacation as CITs, counselors in training. Many of their usual charges also attend the camp as campers. Since the sitters are assigned to different cabins, you can see them as individuals in unique situations outside of the ...more
Amanda Mae
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
April
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Ds
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con piccoli acquisti continuo la saga. Mi piacciono molto gli Special perché sono più lunghi dei soliti libri della serie e ogni capitolo è narrato da una baby-sitter diversa. Ho gradito l'ambientazione (non è stata noiosa come temevo) e ho trovato i personaggi coerenti, tranne Mary Anne...ma ci può stare considerata la trama. Ci sono degli acenni astuti a cose che succederanno più avanti nei libri, anche se molti dei personaggi interessanti introdotti in questo libro non li rivedremo mai più.
Katrien
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgie
wat was ik gek van dit boek. De babysitters trekken op zomerkamp, en beleven net hetzelfde als toen ik op kamp ging. Zij houden wel hun karakteristieken, zoals een bazige Gertie, de snoepgrage Japanse Joke, Betty die het allemaal nogal voor elkaar lijkt te hebben, en een gezondheidsfreak is (niet te geloven dat deze meisjes allemaal om en bij de dertien zijn en al "leidster in opleiding" zijn) Maar gewoon de sfeer van een zomerkamp, die zit er ZO lekker in...

• The War Between the Twins (Sweet Valley Twins, #37)

The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Baby-Sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #1)
  • Baby-Sitters' Winter Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #3)
  • Baby-sitters' Island Adventure (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #4)
  • California Girls! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #5)
  • New York, New York! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #6)
  • Snowbound (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #7)
  • Baby-sitters at Shadow Lake (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #8)
  • Starring the Baby-sitters Club! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #9)
  • Sea City, Here We Come! (Babysitters Club Special, #10)
  • The Baby-Sitters Remember (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #11)
“store, such as Bloomingdale’s” 0 likes
“took the inchworm off my shoulder and put it on Sally’s pillow to see how she’d react.” 0 likes