Start by marking “Dinosaur vs. Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur vs. Bedtime

Dinosaur vs. Bedtime

(Dinosaur vs.)

Roaaaar! Roaar! Nothing can stop me!

Nothing can stop little dinosaur-not talking grownups, spaghetti, or even bath time. But what happens when he faces the biggest challenge of all?bedtime?

With spare text and irresistible dinosaur roaaars, little dinosaurs will be begging for this book to be read again and again.
Published September 9th 2008 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur vs. Bedtime

karen
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddiwinx
greg said this book reminded him of me. its true i can beat spaghetti.
Bradley
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know how stories can be told in completely different ways by inflection, alone? Well this is a new story every time I read it to my daughter. Some parts get drawn out, embellished, and expanded. Others have a very humorous turn that reaches the pure and mighty heights of satire.

But mostly, it's all about the roars.

I honestly have a great time hamming this one up. I can be as loud and obnoxious as I want, and I don't even have to convert it into semi-clever turns of phrase.

Oh, the Joy!

Best
paula
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oh. Mygod. How much do children love reading this book. Even kids who aren't reading yet can read this book. And they love to do it!

I finally got a chance to read it to my two kids tonight, but even then I didn't really! They chimed in with all the ROAR ROAR ROARs, they loved doing a high-pitched, hysterical announcer voice for every challenge the dinosaur faces: "Dinosaur versus... A BOWL OF SPAGHETTI!!" and oh GOD did they love "Dinosaur versus... TALKING GROWN-UPS!" BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BL
Lynn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Roar, roar, roar! The dinosaur takes on falling leaves, talking grownups, spaghetti, and bathtime and wins everytime! It is only when he takes on his biggest challenge of all - bedtime - that the dinosaur meets his match.

My 5-year-old dinosaurs adored this and we read it over and over. Bright and lively illustrations carry the story and allow lots of room for participation with the sound effects. This is a fabulous package that is a winner on all levels, design, artwork, palette, and text. And b
Zoe's Human
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt
I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading this one out loud. Watch your throat though because there is loads of roaring to be done. This one just begs for vocal drama. Fun, bright art with a simple story showing daily activities. It's a fast simple story that invites lots of roaring interaction. Great for a final book.

Ages 3 to 5
Chelsey
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite "Dinosaur vs. ..." book. My toddlers and pre-schoolers really loved roaring along with me.
Tasha
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Shea of the charming New Socks returns with another winning picture book for toddlers and preschoolers. Dinosaur meets each challenge in his day with a huge ROAR! He wins again and again against dire threats such as leaf piles, the big slide, spaghetti and even talking grownups! But there is one thing he has trouble defeating: bedtime. Will Dinosaur be able to overcome it this time?

Shea manages to translate the toddler experience directly to the page. With few words, a bright red dinosaur with a
Kate Hastings
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers, Pre-K storytime dinosaurs bedtime
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I wish something like this, with wide appeal for the masses, would win Caldecott. Perfect for Dinosaur storytime. Dinosaur can defeat anything--bath time, dinner time, just... not... (yawn)... bedtime.
Danielle
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those with kids and those who will have kids
Checked this out from the libaray - Quinn can basically "read" it to us. He of course can't read yet but he can sum up each page before he even turns to it. It is so funny to watch him read this and make the dinosaur ROAR noises. We are going to have to go and buy this one.
Molly
Dinosaur can defeat anything he comes up against but his worthiest challenger will be bedtime. Loved it one of my new favorites. Great for bedtime. Ages 2+
Wincy
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ROAR!
Margaret
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-lucia
This has to be one of my all-time favorite childrens book. Come on...we have all little "dinosaurs" at home sometimes, right?
John
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Okay, this one was a total suprise. Perhaps it was in the reading, but my kids of various ages all loved it and unanimously gave it five stars. Spunky little dinosaur.
April Thompson
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Roar, roar, ROAR!! (That's FIVE big stars!)
Cindy Dobrez
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this raucous look at the bedtime struggle. ROAR. Who doesn't love to WIN?
Michael
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The whole "Dinosaur vs..." range is a bit hit in our house. These are some of our go-to books each night for reading and I'm thankful our local library has a good selection of them.

Each book features Dinosaur taking on various events like going to school, learning to use the potty, or going to bed. Our favorite is "Dinosaur vs Bedtime" in which Dinosaur fights going to bed but (SPOILER alert) ultimately succumbs to sleeping. "Dinosaur vs Bedtime" is one of the books that Shortcake can read back
Liz De Coster
I can’t not read this in a Strongbad voice, apparently.
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, Bob Shea uses naïve, comic illustration style, combined with bold text, bright colors and a dash of mixed media to create a visually interesting, adventure of a book that will definitely appeal to preschoolers. This simple storyline invites reader participation as a very busy little dinosaur tackles everyday challenges like “the big slide,” a bowl of spaghetti and talking grownups, triumphing over each with a giant roar! Roar! ROAR! With its predictable storyline, repeti ...more
Amber Ditullio
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Bob Shea and his books. We bought Big Plans after the boys kept taking the book out of the library every chance they could. So when my heart-sister, Barb, sent along Dinosaur vs Bedtime for my youngest (who is going through a dinosaur phase), I was excited to break it out and read it.

And none of us were disappointed. This book is much shorter on words than Big Plans, and for this book, it works. It tells the story in short bursts, showing scenes familiar to any parent of a tod
An Abundance of Books
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My mother-in-law was not pleased when I started roaring in the middle of the bookstore when I first found this bad boy. It was instant love, Little Dinosaur and I were meant to be together, and Christmas shopping made a handy excuse to bring him home with me. The bright colors, the simple but humorous illustrations, and the chance to roar like a dinosaur make this book a hit with everyone.

Little Dinosaur, with his mighty roars, can win at everything, no one can stand against him. Not a pile of
Kaethe Douglas
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
November 1 2008

Easy enough for the most beginning of readers, but oh, so fun to read aloud with the ROARING. Lots of great ROARs. A good one for showing a child how typography suggests volume and tone, without requiring discussion of those issues.

***

June 21 2012

I did not read it aloud this time. I sat on the sofa, with my daughters on either side, all of us reading. Given the tendency to share funny lines aloud, it wasn't all that quiet in there with our three books, even though I wasn't ROARing
Tyley Hunter
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a picture book for very young children who love dinosaurs but might be reluctant to get ready for bed. Bob Shea writes a story about how a tiny red T-Rex challenges various nighttime activities as he prepares to go against his worst enemy, bedtime. The story is filled with “roars!” as the dinosaur beats activities as sliding down a slide, eating a bowl of spaghetti, brushing his teeth, taking a bath, and others. Each activity the dinosaur is declared the winner, until he loses to bedtime ...more
D.L. Thurston
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My wife picked this book out during one of our "holy crap we're having a kid" trips to B&N. We're not due until September, but I still read this book out loud on occasion, just for the pure joy of getting to practice my "ROAR ROAR ROAR" for future story times. The book has become part of the waiting for the kid traditions in our house in a way other books haven't yet.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally roar around the house, or declare "dinosaur vs. fried chicken...DINOSAUR WINS
Jennifer Heise
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman
What could be wrong with a picture book about a fierce young dinosaur tackling the joys (a pile of leaves) and hassles (grownups talking, bath and toothbrushing) of preschool life? Each spread is "roar roar roar Dinosaur vs..." and then on the next page the 'opponent', followed by "Dinosaur wins!" But when Dinosaur faces his toughest opponent, he roooaarss himself off to sleep. Kids will love to repeat "DINOSAUR WINS!" and for the rough-and-tumble crowd this makes a good repetitive bedtime wind- ...more
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
In a word, cute. Children will enjoy the script, so long as the reader adds appropriate grit to the ample roars. Parents will appreciate the test of wills and ultimate victor in this short and colorful bedtime story.
Lizzie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dinosaur
Big bold print is good for working on the early literacy principle of print awareness.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-adult
Literally just a bunch of roars -_____- blah this book.
Amanda
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Very cute story and a quick read for busy toddlers at bedtime.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dinosaurs cause trouble at bedtime...I KNEW IT! Will try to finish this series this year.
Victoria Smith
  • Dinosaur Roar!
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Shark vs. Train
  • Higher! Higher!
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Little Hoot
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Dancing Feet!
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Banana
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy: A Picture Book
  • The Terrible Plop
  • A Bedtime for Bear
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.

Dinosaur vs. (6 books)