Start by marking “By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee” as Want to Read:
By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee

By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
From the author of Slaves of New York and The Male Cross-Dresser Support Group, this satire in the all-too-rare genre of Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One tells a compelling story of the sex lives of people and invertebrates at the end of America's 20th century.
Published August 27th 1996 by Crown (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee

Libby
Mar 25, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feculent
I don't especially like Longfellow so I guess a book containing so many references to The Song of Hiawatha was never really going to float my boat. I found the arbitrary footnotes and haphazard allusions to poetry and scientific facts awkward and irritating, the whole book was directionless, shallow, pointless and worst of all not funny in the slightest. Meh.
Alvin
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
I couldn't swear it, but I think this is an homage to Ivy Compton-Burnett, the famously camp British family novelist. Even if it isn't, it's quite a hoot. Splendidly diverting.
Ayla
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book! That it was so charming, so funny, so familiar to me in some sort of ineffable way came as a complete, and so, a wonderful, surprise.
Havilah
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I went through a period where I loved reading Tama Janowitz's books. This book is quirky and goofy, but fun. I read it while I was travelling through England. I actually bought it at an english bookstore in France and read it while I was in Bath, England. Total fun and silliness. I totally connected to the trashiness of this story :)
Laurel Beth
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exhausting! But, RIYL Oh! by Mary Robison, which I do, very much.
Helen
Awful book, awful writer - avoid at all costs!!!! 3 books for $30 it's not worth the suffering of trying to read this
Susan
Dec 25, 2008
Julie
Jun 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tama Janowitz is an American novelist and a short story writer. The 2005 September/October issue of Pages magazine listed her as one of the four "brat pack" authors, along with Bret Easton Ellis, Mark Lindquist and Jay McInerney.

Born in San Francisco, California to a psychiatrist father and literature professor mother who divorced when she was ten, Janowitz moved to the East Coast of the United St
More about Tama Janowitz