Start by marking “City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet, #2)

City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,638 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Tubby Dubonnet is growing disenchanted with his life as a lawyer, until he acquires some new clients - very shady characters who run a lucrative casino. With friends like these, Tubby needs no enemies. Suddenly he has all the excitement he desires - he's running for his life.
Published December 1st 1996 by Berkley (first published January 23rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about City of Beads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Beads

Stanley McShane
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in New Orleans, City of Beads by Tony Dunbar, highlights the mystique that is New Orleans. Attorney Tubby Dubonnet is pulled back from his sabbatical to investigate the murder of former friend and client Potter Aucoin. As with any large city, it's a toss-up as to who controls the political scene--perhaps the gambling side of life with dark, mob-connected casino bosses or the Asian network connection of crawfish farmers tapping into the lucrative food-driven side of New Orleans big money. It' ...more
Scot
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Entertaining criminal investigation novel featuring a well-fed late middle aged lawyer named Tubby Dubonnet as the hero. Wonderful sense of evoking place: the setting is New Orleans and one call tell the author not only knows the range of traditions and perspectives possible in that singular city, he relishes them. Tubby begins to see some intriguing connections between a series of disparate cases he is involved in given the wide range of clientele he has—he is sensible about working for the big ...more
Bert
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second crime mystery novel involving New Orleans lawyer Tubby Dubonnet. There's carefully-crafted continuity from the plot outline of the first book. Tubby's still got a warm place in his heart for the underdog, and he still shares his attraction for alcoholic beverages. The author has quietly magnificent metaphors and euphemisms that help with his colorful descriptions of The Big Easy. I know this isn't more than light entertainment for most readers, but the masterful way that plot ...more
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok

Tubby Dubonnet is an attorney in New Orleans who is somewhat bored with his life. He has a nice office, a decent secretary, an ex-wife he avoids and three daughters. He is also somewhat of a fixture in N.O. All of this lends color to the novel, but does little to add to its plot or characterizations. It isn't a bad book. But unfortunately it also isn't a good book either. Mediocrity seems to have found its own level.
Tony Randall
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read but you must keep tabs on the various characters introduced through the book. They all have a part to play in the plot that won't be immediately obvious but it all becomes clear as you read. The result is a book that, for a while, seems somewhat disjointed and a little hard to follow until you really get into it. Overall, an satisfying experience.
Michael Mardel
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of Beads by Dunbar was an eye-opener for me about life in New Orleans coming from Australia. I enjoyed the pathos and never doubted that Tubby would rise above the sordidness of his characters, even death. Life on the Mississippi was also interesting and the characters were well-rounded.
Jen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up City of Beads when one of my many daily “oh hey, free eBooks!” emails rolled in letting me know this was a free mystery selection. And then it sat on my eReader for a few years until I got around to actually reading it. I wanted a mystery, and was tired of the stuff I’d put on my To Be Read list, so I went poking around the archives for a good mystery and stumbled on this one.

I suppose from its name alone, I should have known that this was going to be about New Orelans, but what I di
Peter
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tubby, Tubby, Tubby!!!!!

My fifth trip to The Big Easy with Mr Dubonnet and can't wait for the sixth. It's not high art and its not great literature, but it is a great read.
If you want a book that asks deep searching questions about the human condition than than this is not for you, however if you want to spend a few hours in the company of a lovable rogue fighting the good fight for the downtrodden of New Orleans whilst being taken on a gourmet tour of Louisiana cooking then grab yourself one of
Richard Bradley
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great character. Good story.

This is a a really interesting character. Set in New Orleans, a great background for any story, this is the second book in the series that i have read. Loved both, especially this one. Definitely will fit to the rest. The author can write well and tells great stories.
Kaamil
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

A nice, simple, quick read. Perfect for those who don't want to get too invested in a plot.

It did its job of entertains and I'm happy. However, I do feel that it was missing that X-factor that makes a book memorable. You'll read it today; forget it tomorrow.

Still a good book though!
Anne
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable tale set in New Orleans, with a lawyer rather than a detective at the heart of the story. I particularly liked the description of the area and I am currently in a Cajun and Creole cooking phase, so reading this gave interesting background.
Ricardo Homsi
A refreshing, short, entertaining read to clean the mind between two heavier-weight books. The taste of New Orleans gives these lawyer-playing-detective tales more than just average whodunit webs of deceit. Could read more of these.
Calla
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these stories; the writing is decent and the story lines are entertaining without foreshadowing the plot away. 4 stars is a high score for me; I reserve 5 for “keepers” - the ones that won’t let go; that I want to re-read and make a permanent part of my library.
Pat Roberts
I enjoyed this book and I’ll definitely read more in the series.
Trevahearne
Dec 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
That was a confusing mystery. The hero actually appeared to have no part in solving it. Strange approach.
dave dombrowski
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Tubby!
Richard H. Ross
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is good. Nice read.
Doug Tongish
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been to New Oleans

Enjoyed the problems he faced, liked the descriptions of the local food. Will read the whole series. How can you not like the city of New Orleans.
sandy goldstein
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick Fast Read

Tubby Dubbonet is quite a different lawyer. All kinds of crazy situations unfurl and he seems to know exactly what to do. Enjoy
Vanessa
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started off nicely, building up the story and then a quick rush to the end. I would have liked a bit more lead up to the end. Nonetheless an OK read.
Arthur Peter, Jr.
This was my first encounter with Tubby, but it will not be my last. I loved the mystery of the story along with humor. I'd love to have beer with Tubby.
Philip Reiter
so so. slow reading. kinda blah.
Bonnie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick and enjoyable book to read. I liked it better than the first book in the series. The characters are interesting as is the setting of New Orleans.
Gary Heilbronn
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy a Tubby Dubonnet story; lots of action and human insight mixed with an entertaining glimpse of the seedy side of New Orleans. A good read.
daisy riddle
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

An interesting story line, plenty of different action all set around New Orleans. I ended up feeling sorry for the lawyer hero. He solves everyone else's problems but can't quite solve his own love life!
David Schilling
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read and feel for New Orleans. / Enjoyable bit of escapism. :-)>
Loraine Hill
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying the continuation of this Detective series... Onto book 3
Nina
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. I like this series about lawyer Tubby Dubonnet, who operates five minutes from the French Quarter in New Orleans. Great descriptions of the city, the surrounding habitats, and the food. Tubby has principles, but not enough to make him boring. A divorced dad with three mostly grown daughters, he makes middle age seem fun again. As with most series that I first become acquainted with through ebub, this is the 2nd in the series rather than the first one, but that's no problem. In ...more
Thom Malone
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good mystery series so far... there is I think 9 in this one and as of now I plan to read them all... good mystery, no bad language and nothing to graphic...just a good mystery and good character and story development
Wilma
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another quick read before going back to the library. I enjoy his writing.
  • Axeman's Jazz (Skip Langdon, #2)
  • The Original Alibi (Matt Kile Mystery, #2)
  • Bombshell (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 4)
  • Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1)
  • Cruelest Month
  • The Pursuit of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #4)
  • Hope Road
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • A Provençal Mystery
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Maui Widow Waltz (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #1)
Tony Dunbar started writing at quite a young age. When he was 12, growing up in Atlanta, he told people that he was going to be a writer, but it took him until the age of 19 to publish his first book, Our Land Too, based on his civil rights experiences in the Mississippi delta. For entertainment, Tony turned not to television but to reading mysteries such as dozens of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe storie ...more
More about Tony Dunbar

Tubby Dubonnet (9 books)
  • Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)
  • Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3)
  • Shelter From The Storm (Tubby Dubonnet, #4)
  • Crime Czar (Tubby Dubonnet, #5)
  • Lucky Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #6)
  • Tubby Meets Katrina (Tubby Dubonnet, #7)
  • Night Watchman (Tubby Dubonnet, #8)
  • Fat Man Blues (Tubby Dubonnet #9)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Tubby had taken a little time off. He had picked up some money from the Sandy Shandell case, and his current clients had no pressing problems that couldn’t be solved later, so he decided to treat himself. First he talked Raisin Partlow into driving down to Florida for a couple of weeks. Tubby rented a Lincoln Town Car with a built-in CD player, stuffed the trunk full of fishing tackle and firearms, and put an Igloo full of beer, bourbon, and orange juice in the backseat. They were on their way on the afternoon of a sunny day.” 0 likes
“They bought boiled peanuts from every vendor they spied alongside the road and had important theological discussions as the miles slipped away.” 0 likes