Start by marking “Miss Smithers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Miss Smithers

Susan Juby

Miss Smithers (Alice MacLeod #2)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  540 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
iN sPite Of tHE premAtuRE publication of my 'zine and resulting renewed social ostracism, things are happening for me I've been stood up by the coolest girl in school, I have a Jesus bracelet, I ate dinner at a steak restaurant and lived to tell, I may be a virgin until I marry, I'm a Miss Smithers candidate, and I HAVE LEATHER PANTS Susan Juby's delightful second novel is ...more
Published by Turtleback Books (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Smithers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Smithers

Meg Cabot
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure this is the one where she buys the leather pants. Or is the one with Jesus bus? Either way, I think I wet my pants, I was laughing so hard.
Karin
Alice continues her coming of age story when she is entered into the Miss Smithers pageant as Miss Rod and Gun Club (ironic since her parents are vegetarians who oppose hunting, slaughterhouses, etc) in an even funnier book than the first in this trilogy: I can see why this one won an award (Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize (2005)). But it's more than just funny as we see various facets of teen concerns and the lives of those around her. I'm looking forward to reading the thi
Emma (Miss Print)
May 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Long time readers might remember my previous demonstration of fondness for Alice, I Think by Susan Juby. By itself, the book was fantastically funny with some great plot points and characters. So imagine my happiness back in 2005 when I realized a sequel (set a bit after the first novel's events) had been published and was available from my place of employ.

Like many good stories, Miss Smithers starts with an offer that Alice can't refuse--especially if she wants to prove to everyone that she rea
06sydneyj
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reports
Being in a pageant, isn't that something that every girl has wanted to do. Well in the book Ms. Smithers by Susan Juby that is exactly what Alice McLeod gets to do. This is a fiction book for young adults I would ecspecially reccomend it to teenage girls.

In this book that takes place in Smithers, Alice McLeod a 16 year old girl has the chance to be in a pageant for her town and to become Ms. Smithers. Unlike most girls though Alice wasn't very excited about this, she was just in it for the $400
Helen
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Alice has been persuaded to enter the Miss Smithers contest as the candidate of the Rod and Gun Club, in spite of her family's militant vegetarianism and violent pacifism. (Her mother would bomb a lab which was using animals as test subjects.) Her mother is opposed because it is about as opposite to feminism as you can get, but Alice agrees, partly for that reason. The whole book is set around the pageant events: the fashion show where Miss Deschooling is forced into a hand crocheted bikini ( ...more
Cathy
Someone told me not to read this book, that it wasn't a very good one, but for some reason, I did anyway. It's not really a book that I would recommend, but it did have some funny parts- the restaurant scene, some of the commentaries. Very confused teen girl, which is the point, and she also has some very confused adult figures in her life. Topics: fitting in, peers, teens and sex, teens and alcohol

The person who told me not to read this book said that they kept reading it, hoping it would get b
Debbie
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice MacLeod is a sixteen-year-old Canadian girl. After several years of homeschooling, she now attends the alternative school. She has few friends and considers herself a total misfit. She never would have considered participating in the local beauty paget, but when the Smithers Rod and Gun Shop needed a representative, Alice agrees to be a contestant. The $400 clothing allowance motivated her step outside her comfort zone. Pagent activities inspire her to socialize with new people and to writ ...more
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Candy by: No one
Title: Miss Smithers
Author: Susan Juby
Copyright date: 2004
Publisher: Harpertrophycanada
How many pages: 344 pgs
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: the TV series
Comments: As I read more into this series, I find that I have a lot in common with Alice. Besides the hippie mother and the smart brother, I am Alice to a tee...which is why this series intrigues me so much...I have even thought about going to some thrift stores while reading this. :P
Sue
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2015
Am trying to find a funny teen book for my girlfriend and her niece. This was not as funny as I'd hoped, but I still found myself laughing out loud a few times at this book. I would definitely read other books by this author. And I'll be shipping this book to my girlfriend, because I think that it's just what they need.
Julian
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Decent sequel to Alice, I Think. The continued exploits of a social-skill-less homeschooled teenager in a small Canadian town, in her first year of regular school and while she enters a pageant. Contains some brilliant one-liners and the main character is fun to read/sympathize with/be horrified about.
Tara Eglington
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is dangerous - in that people around you will be staring as you barely hold it together from laughing. Some of the most unique, and ridiculous yet endearing characters to make onto the pages of a YA novel. Must read!
Lbaker
I enjoyed this book which is so easy to relate to the teen age angst of a Canadian girl growing up in a small town. Alice's family, friends, acquaintances are such a mixed bag - quirky, silly, goofy, funny.
Viviana
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sarcastic witty people
Shelves: 2008
Alice, oh Alice. You gotta love her and her witty thoughts. Her speech for the Mother Daughter Tea was priceless. I am in love with Alice, she is smart and her clothes is really original and creative.
Nothing
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more had the narrator been even the least bit likable. She was so arrogant, never admitted a mistake and seemed to have a hard time fathoming that she isn't the center of the universe. She doesn't even try to be likable.
Morgan
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Precisely what I expected from Juby. Great fun to read. It's a sequel but I don't think you have to have read the first book to understand it; although you'll probably want to after reading Miss Smithers. Quirky and Canadian. Just how I like my books.
Heather
I liked the was Juby made the book in a 'diary' format. It gave the book a nice touch. I think the author could have described Alice a bit more. For example; how tall is Alice? Other than that I really enjoyed it.
Jenny
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Alice returns, and she isn't a social outcast anymore. She has $400 clothing allowance and has entered the Miss Smithers beauty contest. Her thriftstore style, kooky friends, and a prematurely published 'zine has catapulted her into a whirlwind of adventures and activities.
Jasmin
Dec 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible! Horrible! Horrible. This book is just plain weird!!!?!
Jane
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I wish I'd had this series when I was a morose teenager! Juby nails adolescent angst in the most hilarious way.
Meleah
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it! I recommend this book to anyone!
Siennache
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book about an awesome girl. It really has a good handle on the themes of being yourself no matter what. This girl goes up against society basically.
Libby
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of cheesy, and stereotypical. Not what I find funny at all, and I was continually annoyed and never amused/endeared to Alice.
Katrina
Alice is incredibly self-centered, which gets obnoxious at times, but is not unrealistic because I know quite a few teens who would fit that bill. Another quick, light, enjoyable read.
Goldie Marie
Aug 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bueatyqueens
It was an honest to god classic book. The book was a totally new idea and it was executed beautifully; the teen angst was played to it's most delightful humor.
Dana
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Slow at the beginning, but it picked up.
Meghann
Alice cracks me up.
Nifty
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING AND PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING AND I CAN'T EVEN DO THIS RIGHT NOW
Emzily
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults or girls like me.
Recommended to Emzily by: a librarian.
SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!!! a must-read kinda book.
Emma Beuerman
  • Leading Lines
  • The Canning Season
  • The Landing
  • Angeline
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • The Grave
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • And Also Sharks
  • Are You Seeing Me?
  • Tom Finder
(from her website)

I was raised in Smithers, BC, Canada and lived there until I moved to Toronto at age 20. I had a brief and unsuccessful career as a fashion design student and, after I worked at a series of low paying jobs, such as server, record store employee, etc., I began a degree in English Literature at University of Toronto, which I finished at the University of British Columbia. After gra
More about Susan Juby

Alice MacLeod (3 books)
  • Alice, I Think (Alice MacLeod, #1)
  • Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last (Alice MacLeod, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99