Start by marking “Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)

Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
He fought to seek his fortune.
Would he lose a greater treasure: the love he left behind?

As the son of the squire of Grimston Way, aristocrat Rogan Chantry has fought hard to win his independence from Sir Julien Bley and the British South Africa Company. Now, his pursuit of a mysterious deposit of gold, marked on a map willed to him by his murdered uncle, Henry Chantry, i
Published February 16th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published February 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Promise

Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I received as part of a blog tour. Before reading the book, I was disappointed to find out that this was Book 2 in a series. I hate starting a series (not just books, but anything - TV series, movies, etc.) anywhere but the beginning. Normally, I would table the book until I'd read the previous one in the series. But, I had agreed to read this one and post a review this week. As this was one of two books I was to review this week, I didn't have the time to read Book 1 i ...more
Jeni Enjaian
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa
*Update* While I still do not like the fact that Rogan and Evy are apart for so much of the narrative, it did not bother me nearly as much through this reread. I still really enjoyed this book and it has also survived round two of the purge from my personal collection.

Though this is not my favorite of the series I still enjoyed it. My one main complaint is that Rogan and Evy are apart for so much of the book and as much as I enjoy the Africa portions, it just wasn't as compelling for the above r
Linda Jennings
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This book just never "took off" for me. It had a good plot, but not developed. maybe because if just have this one book and had no background from the 1st book of the series.?
This book definitely gave a lot of information about South Africa and the search for gold that was very interesting. It was really intriguing, to have so much of this book take place alongside Rogan Chantry as he searched the Zambezi region for gold. The romance aspect definitely wasn’t as strong in this book as it was in the last, because Rogan and Evy spent almost the entire novel apart from each other.

More and more, this series seems like a lesser copy of Francine Rivers’ Mark of the Lion se
For me the novel Yesterday’s Promise, by Linda Lee Chaikin, was a little bit hard to get into. I figure this is due to the fact that it is the second book of Chaikin’s “East of the Sun Series,” and the first book of the series I’ve read. However, being that I hadn’t read the first book of the series I don’t feel that took anything away from the story. If I would have read the first book this one would have been richer for me of course, but I still really enjoyed it. The only historical novels I ...more
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday's Promise is the continuing story of Evy Varley and Rogan Chantry as they each seek to find the answers of their pasts so they can move on with their futures. This book like the first is split between 19th century South Africa and England. The scenery in this book is wonderful. I could actually picture the Big Hole, where diamond mining took place as well as the African wilderness. Rogan Chantry is still as roguish as ever and you can't help but cheer him on as he stands up to Julien B ...more
Lilly W.
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! It all starts out with Evy in her cottage alone during a storm she heard something in the attic so she went up opened the door and saw a black figure rushing towards her then she was pushed and got knocked out. When she wakes up she is in London in a hospital about to be transported to the Chantry Townhouse. So she has a high chance of her legs not healing completely and she just might have to be in crutches the rest of her life. Now while she is in London her "boyfriend" ...more
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From My Blog....[return][return]Yesterday's Romance is the second book in Linda Lee Chaikin's East of the Sun Series. While I have not read the first novel, Tomorrow's Treasure, I was quite easily able to follow along with this wonderful historical romance novel. I was pleasantly surprised to discover just how deeply historical Yesterday's Promise is and found the writing to be both fluid and exceedingly engaging. The two main characters Evy Varley and Rowan Chantry are well written and quite en ...more
Linda B
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Yesterday's Promise is the second of three East of the Sun series. It is an involved story with mystery, adventure and romance. I would recommend reading the first, Tomorrow's Treasure first. I think it would give a better grasp of the people and situations involved in the story. There are interesting situations and places with valuable treasure, tribal difficulties, and power struggles. I appreciated the author's historical information and a list of historical dates following the story. The wri ...more
Jennifer Defoy
I couldn't get into this one. The story starts out great, but after that I kept getting lost. I don't know why I didn't like this one, I really can't pinpoint it, but it just didn't work for me.

I got about half way through this one and had forgotten the intricacies and relationships between the characters. There weren't a ton of characters, but for some reason I just couldn't keep them straight.

The biggest reason why I didn't like this one is that I just felt so confused through it. The basic s
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was 2 out of three in the series. This book is almost as good as the first. The plot got a little complicated with trying to figure out the political undertones of the English, Dutch and South Africans. Lots of detail given to geography of Africa. Got confusing at times, but good to wade through it as the story is full of suspenseful twists and turns. Cannot wait to read the 3rd book!
Mandy J. Hoffman
Yesterday's Promise is the second book in the East Of The Sun trilogy and yet it is possible to read it as a stand alone and still enjoy the story. Set in the 1800's, it's the story of aristocrat Rogan Chantry and Evy Varley and their love that is separated by mystery, blame, and intrigue until finally the truth sets them free. The plot is thick, the mystery deep, but if you enjoy historical romance and suspense this is a good read for a great value.
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to the East of the Sun series to continue with this book, but I have to admit that part of the story was dragging for me. I know there's something to keeping your readers in suspense, but the Africa part that quite of the story dragged with just wasn't what I wanted to read. I do like historical fiction, and things got better after awhile. Guess I'm just not very patient.
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked it...but didn't like as much as I did the first one in the series. I wished that the the main character and the guy she falls in love with were interacted a bit more than the author had them. But other than that, it was good.
April Perez
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good Series. Enjoyed the book.
Really should be more like 3.5 stars. Review will be posted on my blog soon.
Diane Duncan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this 'East of the Sun' series and will look for other books by this author
Jolieg G
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
gelezen in het Nederlands.
Verborgen belofte.
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the second in a trilogy of books. Continues the adventures in the first book, a little more historical but I did enjoy it and will be reading the third book.
Corrah E
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
excellent book & and excellent series!!!
Connie Paddle
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed
Very good book,now on to the third part.
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as good for me as the first one, mostly because it doesn't have as much of the romance. But still some great mystery and history, a wonderful read!
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
While I liked getting to read more of this series' plot, this book didn't hold my interest as well as the first. I'm looking forward to reading the third and final book to see how everything ends up.
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2011
Mar 10, 2014
Jennifer Corn
Oct 20, 2017
  • Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle, #1)
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara, #3)
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bridegrooms
  • Nadia (Heirs of Anton, #2)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • An Absence So Great (Portraits of the Heart, #2)
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • The Tender Vine (The Diamond of the Rockies #3)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles, #2)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Here Burns My Candle (Here Burns My Candle, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
Linda Chaikin is a Christian fiction author with a focus on historical fiction. She sometimes publishes using the name L.L. Chaikin.

Linda was the youngest of 10 children and her father died shortly after she was born. She wrote her first full-length novel with pen and paper at the age of 14 - this novel was later rewritten as Wednesday's Child, part of the Day to Remember series.

She met her husban
More about Linda Lee Chaikin...

East of the Sun (3 books)
  • Tomorrow's Treasure (East of the Sun #1)
  • Today's Embrace (East of the Sun #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Sing: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy #2)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)