Start by marking “Grandfather Tales: American-English Folk Tales” as Want to Read:
Grandfather Tales: American-English Folk Tales

Grandfather Tales: American-English Folk Tales

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A collection of folk tales from North Carolina and Virginia for a slightly older audience than that for Chase's Jack Tales.
Published August 25th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Grandfather Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandfather Tales

Mary Catelli
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A collection of tales from North Carolina and Virginia, retold, wrapped in a frame story of an evening telling tales, with a few other chapters of folkloric elements. Chase himself took to tell such stories many times before he decided which version to present. With notes about where he collected them, what tale types, and other things. Like why he wrestled with putting in "Like Meat Loves Salt".

King Lear, of course, uses the trope "Love Like Salt" with some tweaks. What "Like Meat Loves Salt" d
Karen Mcintyre
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Richard Chases' collected Jack tales and stories from Appalachia are remarkable in their honestly. In the opening chapter of this book Chase recounts going to collect a tale from Tom Hunt out in Crockett county.

When Chase tells Tom that he intends to record his tales in a book the old fellow responds, "No, it'll not do: just to read the old tales out of a book. You got to tell 'em to make 'em go right." This uneducated tale spinner understands what it has taken the learned to comprehend after c
Ratih Larasari
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Dibeli pada tanggal 2 Agustus 2006 di Pameran Buku Bandung (Landmark Braga), dibaca dengan cara mencicil. Dalam buku ini termuat 25 judul cerita yang dituturkan dengan gaya berkisah sebagaimana suatu keluarga besar yang berkumpul pada malam natal, saling berbagi cerita di depan perapian hangat ditemani kopi dan cokelat panas.
Buku ini merupakan kumpulan cerita rakyat Amerika yang dikumpulkan dan diceritakan ulang oleh Richard Chase. Seperti halnya cerita rakyat, ceritanya mengandung unsur keajaib
Wistful Reader
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These non-traditional, traditional folk tales are fun to read, in large part because Chase writes the book as if the reader is with him in a small, mountain cabin, crowded with people, delighting in sharing their tales with the man who cares enough to write them down. It was also fun reading different versions of the tales I grew up with (Ashpet v Cinderella for ex.) and seeing elements of others I have always loved. For example, Red Riding Hood's "What big eyes you have" here in the tale, "Chun ...more
Theresa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
I found this book in my attic and it has an inscription from my Gramma. I had never noticed that before, so I never bothered to read the book. Honestly, I'm not sure my Gramma read it either.

Inside are a bunch of tales told to the author by people in Virginia. It appears that somehow they heard lots of classic stories and then ran with them. Usually in ways that really made me scratch my head. Weird and bizarre.

I think the only one I kinda liked was Old Roaney and even that was really weird. He
Lisa
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful and revealing as to how stories are passed from generation to generation and from continent to continent. It was easy to see many of the old European fairy tales played out in the mountains of North Carolina, etc. Grandfather tales are less didactic (and I don't mean that in a bad way) and more playful and attuned to entertainment than the originals but a person can always see where the kernel of the old story resides.
Rachael Caisedo
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grandfather Tales is a good book for story time. It consists of eleven mini stories that are short enough to read to the class. The stories are written in understandable and fun to read. Children would love to read Grandfather Tales.
NSAndrew Liebergen
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional
[close:] The only people who can tell these stories better than Richard Chase are the folks in North Carolina and Virginia who told them to him. These stories have been handed down for generations and have been enjoyed by grownups and children alike.
DaughterDaDa
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and families
An excellent collection of folk tales with a robust American flavor.
Aaron
Mar 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This goes hand-in-hand with Jack Tales. These are some of my favorites stories. Stories I hope to one day tell, in an overly animated way, to my children.
Luther Davis
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read: September 18, 2013
Rachel
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Appalachian studies readers; folklore readers
Not as good as the Jack Tales, but I still love these other Appalachian tales.
Philip Burt

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel