Start by marking “Fighting Invisible Tigers: A Stress Management Guide for Teens” as Want to Read:
Fighting Invisible Tigers: A Stress Management Guide for Teens

Fighting Invisible Tigers: A Stress Management Guide for Teens

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Proven, practical advice for teens on coping with stress, being assertive, taking risks, making decisions, staying healthy, dealing with fears, building relationships, and more.
Published January 1st 1995 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published December 31st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Fighting Invisible Tigers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting Invisible Tigers

Indrani
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up from the library to see if it could be used in my work with teens (I work at a residential treatment home for adolescents who are dealing with specific abuse and trauma issues), and I'm planning on purchasing a copy sooner rather than later so that we can continue using it.

Earl Hipp manages to explain stress and stress management in language that will make sense to teens without "speaking down" to them, and then goes on to help them dissect what effects stress can have on day-da
Michelle
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading stuff like this to supplement what I learned in school to help me with my volunteer counseling job. This book is a concise and light-hearted look at stress with really good advice. The author describes how stress affects the mind and body and explains that people have been under stress since the Stone Age when people had to worry about being stalked by tigers! He doesn't just offer the usual, bland "look on the bright side" type of advice. He actually provides strategies for pr ...more
Allison
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-2008
This book “Fighting Invisible Tigers” is a stress management guide for teenagers in which uses scientific work to show the readers how to reduce stress in our life. By reading this book, I feel being closer to the world and to people who are at my age. I noticed that there are a lot of common experiences that others had, also have happened to me. It is like a connection through teenagers, they talk about the problems most teenagers have faced and their expressions through their feelings, and def ...more
Lynda
'Fighting Invisible Tigers' is a very easy, readable book to help identify and reduce stress in your life. Though a tiny bit 'American' in parts, most of it can apply to any teen, anywhere. Thoroughly recommend it! The third edition (2008) is revised and updated.
Read it from the beginning, as the first few chapters are particularly good, and take note of: p. 60 - ASSERT yourself; p. 104 - 20 positive ways to challenge yourself; p. 108 onwards - Decisions are powerful; and much more.
What are invi
Jackie
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written for a younger audience than me, but I still thought it had some great tips, even for adults. I wish I read this when I was a teenager, it may have helped. The book is wonderfully illustrated, and gives readers tips on how to be more calm, positive, and goal oriented.
Alyssa
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult-2012
This book has a great approachable voice that really breaks things down into teen-friendly language and concepts. I think this book would be a great read for any middle schooler because it applies to them now and addresses issues directly. I will be purchasing this for my classroom. Great book.
Shari
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
The title was the best part of the book. I found the writing style to be dry. The subject is very worthy, but the book didn't engage me. I purchased this on the recommendation of a colleague.
Erin
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book for my mini-term. Could be used as a textbook...
Dawn
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good for an adolescent with anxiety issues but not an interesting read
Jerica Griffin
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Didn't read the whole book, but was part of a major stress-release/emotional overhaul for me in high school and it did help me a lot.
Alison Stegert
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great book to give to young people who are struggling with anxiety or panic attacks. Highly recommended for high school libraries.
Lisa Kaplan
Apr 18, 2016
Catherine McCall
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Earl Hipp is the author of many books for young people. He has a B.A. in Psychology and a master’s degree in Psychophysiology. He has worked as a clinical psychotherapist, helping hundreds of people to better understand, cope with, and grow through the challenges in their lives.
More about Earl Hipp...