Start by marking “She Dims the Stars” as Want to Read:
She Dims the Stars

She Dims the Stars

Who is Audrey Byrd?

Ask her ex-best friend, Cline Somers, and he’ll tell you that she’s the girl who inexplicably stopped talking to him when they were fifteen years old, leaving him with nothing but questions and bitterness for the better part of the next six years.

Ask his roommate, Elliot Clark, and he would say that Audrey is the enigmatic girl who randomly showed up out
Published March 20th 2016 by Amber L. Johnson

✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

description

'She Dims the Stars' is a great, beautifully written story that despite the fact that deals with heavy subjects it will touch your heart and soul. A coming of age story, this tale has a bit of everything – heart, humor, entertaining dialogue and endearing characters.

“I feel invincible. I am invincible. That’s a terrifying way for someone to feel when they’ve felt like nothing for so long.”

The story fallows Audrey, a girl who embarks on a journey that will change her life forever. El
Jennifer Kyle
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

”All of it started with one girl and a question.”

description

Amber L. Johnson delivers a poignant story of two college roommates Elliot Clark and Cline Somers who head to Cline’s home and run into Cline’s former best friend, Audrey Byrd. The story is told in alternating POVs of Audrey and Elliot as he decides to help her find out more about her birth mother during this summer vacation. Cline the angry former friend of Audrey’s goes along for the ride and learns some truths about his friend that put
Bibi
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A young adult novel that deals with depression, anxiety, emotional abuse, and the consequences thereof. A difficult story to read but one that, in a way, gives a voice to those who live with such crippling and, oftentimes, fatal disorders.

Audrey, despite her psychological disorders, was adorable, while Elliot was everything you'd ever want in a friend. I really enjoyed it.
Renee
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LIVE: http://amzn.com/B01CW3F03E

An amazing balance of geek, realism, truism, and heroism.

I kind of don’t know where to start with this one.

Maybe I should start with a little disclosure: Yes, I’m friends with the author. And, yes, I made the cover. Oh…for some odd and miraculous reason, Amber gave me an ARC.

All of the above aside, I LOVED this book in a totally UNBIASED way. This one WORKED for me.

Maybe it was the awesome dialogue with a hint of geekery and perversions, or maybe it was the fact
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

‘I feel invincible. I am invincible. That’s a terrifying way for someone to feel when they’ve felt like nothing for so long.’

Sometimes a book comes along and it resonates somewhere so deep inside. To a place that you keep hidden and try not to think about unless it demands it and when it does. Reading She Dims the Stars was this book. It was as if Amber L Johnson saw us through her words as we read, felt and understood. She was telling us that she truly saw us.

‘There’s no greater anxiety than wo
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016

‘There’s no greater anxiety than wo
JewelsyGoolsy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superbly written story about a girl struggling with depression and anxiety. This one read a little too slow and Y/A paced for my usual liking but I wholeheartedly respect this author's talents and give huge props to this wonderful story as a whole.

I pre-ordered this book because I was a HUGE fan of Puddle Jumping and although I cannot say I swooned as much in this one, I still respected and enjoyed it. The synopsis of this book had me in fear that I may be dealing with a love-triangle trope (
Mary Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amber Johnson writes for me and me alone.

At least that's how I feel when I read her novels.

As a reader, she's never once disappointed me, and I'm always left feeling utterly in love with the characters and world's she creates. There's a sweetness and genuine love wrapped around every word she allows me to read that I've yet to find from another author. Amber is nothing less than magical, and She Dims the Stars is proof. When I didn't think I could love something more than Puddle Jumping, she a
maggieandteddy
I pre-ordered this. YA/NA isn't my favorite genre'. Amber Johnson is one of my favorite authors.
I loved her novella Puddle Jumping.
I almost dnf'd at the Prologue and Chapter 1. I just couldn't get what was going on. I'm so glad that I read on.
This is first person POV- alternating Audrey and Elliot. Cline is Audrey's best friend from early childhood to when they were 15 y/o. The reason they stopped being friends is slowly explained in the journey that the 3 of them take on their summer vacation
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
"One year is all it took to change my life completely. One moment to shift it on a different course. One second of a stranger’s kiss—a rock on a window—a call from out of the blue. All of it started with one girl and a question."

OMG!!! I loved this book!!! It is heart-stoppingly beautiful but has moments of humor as well. I hope everyone will read this AMAZING story. It is incredibly poignant, readable and will hit home with many readers. For others, I hope it will offer insight into a painful
Michelle
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw that Amber L. Johnson had a new release, I just knew that I’d stop whatever it was that I was doing to read it. And just like every other book of hers, She Dims the Stars was absolutely perfect.

SDtS is a bit of a coming of age story for Audrey, our heroine who is struggling with her depression and simply trying to find where she belongs in a world that she doesn’t feel she’s worthy enough to belong in.

When Elliot offers to drive her to her grandmother’s house in the hopes to gain an
Olga therebelreader
Makes me sad to say this but I struggled with She Dims the Stars. I really wanted to enjoy this book. The writing itself is great, but the story kind of fell flat for me. I found the characters to be one dimensional and the hero and the heroine did not engender a connection on any level for me. The storyline just didn't click with me.
Overall, it was okay. I would've enjoyed it so much more had the characters been more admirable and likable.

ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an h
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

Amber L. Johnson has blown me away once again, this time with her unique approach to a sensitive subject that effects more people than you could ever imagine.

The story begins with Elliot, having recently been dumped, meeting Audrey when she comes over to re-connect with her once best friend, Cline. Elliot and Audrey have immediate chemistry, but even better, they just seem to 'get' one another. When Audrey embarks on a cross-country journey to find the answers that she needs about her past and h
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃

Hero: 9/10
Humour: 1/10
Hotness: 3/10
Romance: 7/10
Extra book Details: Heroine & Hero POV; 1st person. Stand alone.

She Dims the Stars is a NA romance, that feels YA, and has a bunch of angst.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Really enjoyed this one! Our heroine suffers from severe depression, upon trying to reconnect with her ex-best friend, she finds the hero, who is quirky, odd and shy almost. H
Renita
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 Stars!!!
ARC copy received in exchange for an honest review

I finished this book less than an hour ago and I had to shoot to the blog because I have a bone to pick with Amber L. Johnson. Why? Because she's making me out to be a liar lol. Every time I read a book of hers I am certain that it's the best of hers, then I read another and I'm certain that one is the best... and so on and so forth. So I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised when I picked up her soon to be released SHE DIMS THE
Anne OK
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
While this powerfully strong and engaging story deals with some very serious issues, relief comes in the form of laughter-filled dialogue written with charm, humor and wit. The characters are a little kooky and offbeat, but delightfully drawn, and you just can’t help but fall in love with Audrey, Elliott and Cline.

As the three set out on a road trip in pursuit of answers to Audrey’s questions concerning the mother she never knew, readers are treated to an amazing story covering a sundry of dile
monica ♪
description

It's been a while since the last time I read Amber L. Johnson book. This one is kinda different from her other books but it's just as amazing as the others!

Mental health problems often being ignored because we're afraid that we're called weird or crazy. But it's very important to recognize it early so we can get help before it's too late. This book shows how important it is to open up and ask for helps if we think we're really depressed and need someone to talk to.

I love the friendship/relation
Janie
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just ok for me. I have really liked a couple of this authors other books. I just didn't feel the connection in this one like I did the other two I read. I will still read more of her books though in the future.
Angela

This book has left me with mixed feelings despite it being a really sweet and poignant story with a heartfelt message.

I loved the characters and their connection but for some reason the story didn't pull me in a hard as I expected. At times I found the story lacked some fluidity and as a result it was a little difficult to follow. I was going to stop reading it a few times but then I just had to find out what happened to Audrey and Elliott, and Cline. Despite my misgivings, I was glad that I re
Melanie Moreland
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
She Dims the Stars is not your conventional romance read. There is romance, but the storyline also deals with a subject more taboo than main stream—depression.
Handled with care, yet brutal in its honesty, Amber Johnson writes Audrey’s pain so well, you feel yourself choking on it. Her past, until this point, dictated her present, the unknown and questions burning through her head constantly.
When she meets Elliott, she has no idea how important he will become to her, or the effect he will have
Martyk
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Truly wonderful. I've never suffered from anxiety or depression but the way she described it has helped me understand what my Mom feels. She suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. This has helped me understand it a little bit more. Thank you for that Amber. Thank you.

This book and it's characters are wonderful. I loved every word.
Grace
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it

Reading the synopsis to this book, I fully expected an angst fest. Yes, there is angst, but this was a lot lighter than I expected. And yes, it deals with some heavy issues, but the banter among the three main characters, provides a lighter approach to the subject of mental stability.

Audrey is an interesting character. She has this quirkiness about her that catches your attention. Her early interactions with Elliott are random and brief. But even that minimal interaction is enough for
M.B.
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amber L. Johnson is another author that I will drop everything for when she releases a new book. When I read the summary to She Dims the Stars, I jumped at the chance to read it because I just love how Johnson uses words to weave her stories.

The story of Audrey, Cline, and Elliot starts off quite humorous, and I soon fell in love with these three characters. Once Audrey begins to tell her story, and the three of them go on the journey she needs to make to not only discover herself, but also to g
Holly Baker
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

"We're gonna be the greatest love story ever told."

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book when I first went in. I hadn't read the synopsis but the fact that it was written by the same author as one of my very top reads of 15 was enough to have me diving me, and I am so glad that I did.

When I started reading, I was actually in the throws of a book hanger, so I thought I'd find it hard to really get stuck in to She Dims The Stars, but I was wrong. I fell hopelessly in love wit
Sanzana
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Ms. Johnson, you never fail to blow my mind away and pull on my heartstrings.

Our boy Elliot was dumped. Audrey is a surprise.

She kisses him in the diner, with no warning.

The two embark on a journey to discover themselves; Elliot's recent breakup and Audrey's need to figure out her past. Cline, Audrey's ex-best friend worries for Elliot's sake and joins them too.

The chemistry between Elliot and Audrey is beautiful and as Audrey grows and learns more about her past, Elliot can't help but fall
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amber L. Johnson is not afraid to write about topics in life that others may find too sensitive. From Asperger's in Puddle Jumping to anxiety/depression in She Dims the Stars, she approaches the subjects with love, humor, and a good dose of reality.

What starts out as a young woman (Audrey) wanting to give her once best friend (Cline) an explanation for her odd behavior years earlier, turns into a journey to discovery.

Audrey had been best friends with Cline since they were 4 years old. At 15 Audr
Chelsea
DNF @ 68%

Warning: Unpopular Opinion!!!

I loved Puddle Jumping from this author, however I cannot say the same for this book. To be honest, I felt no connection for all the characters.

Not knowing the blurb got me confused in trying to decipher where the story was heading. Self-discovery? I don't know! At first, I'm thinking there might be some shocking revelation so I stayed on. To may my dismay, there was none.

Around 18% of the book (view spoiler)
Amber
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book! I don't even know where to begin with the love I have for Ambers words! After reading Puddle Jumping by Amber, I pretty much thought "Well this is it. She can't top this book"
Ladies and Gentlemen....I lied.

She Dims the Stars is by far her best book yet. She completely blew it out of the water.
Not only is the plot perfection but her characters, both main and supporting, are absolutely perfect!

I'm horrible with reviews so I'm not going to get into what the book is about because that
Carol
Took me a couple of chapters or so to get into this book but then I just wanted to keep reading it, I was loving it so much. Though this book deals with difficult issues ie; a young woman who suffers from depression and panic attacks, the tone was so upbeat and positive for most of the novel that it felt like lighter reading fare and I loved all Elliot and Audrey's interactions . They take a journey together several states away with Cline (Audrey's childhood best friend- they haven't spoken sinc ...more
katherine
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well to start off this is not my usual type of read I prefer but it really gripped my heart from the first few chapters. Three people go on a journey for 3 different reasons. A bit of a different love story really. Audrey, we find out is battling many demons. Most of which is depression which leads her on a summer trip with her once best friend Cline and his roommate Elliot. Through this journey fences are mended, love is found and Audrey learns so much about herself and is finally able to start ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Honeysuckle Love
  • Over the Edge
  • The End: A Dusty Futuretake (Dusty, #1.25)
  • Skygods (Hydraulic, #2)
  • Always
  • Harkham's Case (Harkham's, #1)
  • Hannah Both Ways
  • Code Red
  • Delinquents (Dusty, #2)
  • A Brand New Ending
  • The Record of My Heart (Words, #3.5)
  • Star Struck
  • Naturally, Charlie
  • Exposure
  • The Lost Codex (The Collectors' Society, #4)
  • Block 24
  • With the Father (With the Father, #1.0)
  • Playing in the Rain
“I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. - Anais Nin” 2 likes
“I wrote this book for a very specific reason and that was to show another side of anxiety and depression that doesn’t get a spotlight very much: the hidden kind. The kind that’s folded away behind a nod and a smile, a joke or a laugh, an entire night out with friends that leaves that person exhausted for days afterward having to recharge because being ‘on’ all the time takes so much out of them. Depression” 0 likes