Start by marking “The Tale of Jack Frost” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Jack Frost

The Tale of Jack Frost

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
First discovered asleep in the snow by the many gentle creatures who live deep in the forest, a very little boy with snow-white skin surprises his forest friends by waking up and working real magic! Everything he touches turns to frost, which is why the owls, the magpies, the unicorn, the woodhoppers, and all the other forest creatures name him Jack Frost. Then along come ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Jack Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Jack Frost

Travis Mueller
Another book that I found when it passed through the library to fill a hold. It is kind of a strange book, and feels like it is meant to be part of some larger story almost. It reminds me a bit of the movie Rise of the Guardians which both features Jack Frost and is part of a larger storyline, a whole series of children's books. But this book seems to stand alone, and there is certainly no stylistic similarity, though maybe there was some sort of cross-fertilization of ideas at some point.

The va
***Dave Hill
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text, children
Enchanting tale, beautifully drawn - My 4.5-year-old loves this. I got a copy (softcover) in the airport book shop in Glasgow on business, and it became her instant favorite bed time story.

While I agree to a degree with those who complain about too many unpolished points (the book reads, sometimes, like a trimmed-down version of a longer tale), there's still an absurd logic to the whole thing. And, frankly, if that leads to question and further story-telling after the book is done, all the bette
Becca
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When you work at a public library, you get to see all the fun books that others put on hold. I was unfamiliar with this tale, and it looked interesting, so I read it during my break. Students will love the goblins.
Angie
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I could tell immediately that an Englishman wrote this book. I enjoy retellings of fairy tales. Though I felt bad for the goblins, I liked how this author took the story and made it his own, without being gruesome.
Misty
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Just the other day Mya was asking me about Frost, so this book was an ideal seasonal story. I found the end a bit cumbersome, but the kids still talk about Jack Frost each morning during our frosty morning walks to school, so clearly they didn't have trouble following the story.
Hope L. Justice
This book is truly enchanting with beautiful illustrations and just enough humor to be whimsical. I really love this telling of Jack Frost.
Lara
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We love the pictures most of all.
Cathy
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
We've read a few of Melling's books, all are well written with great illustrations, but I think this is my favourite. A great seasonal book
C Wharton
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful drawings. About a boy called Jack who is discovered in an enchanted forest by strange and kind creatures. Magical!
Diane
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a clever story and very funny. The kids and I laughed a lot.
Gwyn
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fun, fun, fun!
Dimity Powell
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Dreamy illustrations. Entertaining tale. Twerky Jack Frost twist. Nice for the younger ones whose ideas of Jack Frost have not yet been tainted by various other commercial interpretations.
Paula