Start by marking “Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)

Conspiracy of Ravens

(The Shadow #2)

Monsters, magic and the supernatural combine in this sequel to Wake of Vultures, in which a young woman must defeat the evil hiding beneath the surface.

Nettie Lonesome made a leap -- not knowing what she'd become. But now the destiny of the Shadow is calling.

A powerful alchemist is leaving a trail of dead across the prairie. And the Shadow must face the ultimate
Published October 11th 2016 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Conspiracy of Ravens, please sign up.
Haley Mathiot yes, a little bit. it concludes enough to know you're going on another journey, but it's a bit abrupt.…moreyes, a little bit. it concludes enough to know you're going on another journey, but it's a bit abrupt. (less)

Start your review of Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
Meigan
Excellent continuation of Nettie (and) Rhett's journey.

After the doozie of the cliffhanger from the previous installment, I, like many readers, was unsure how these new events would play out. Through the course of the first book, it was becoming clear that Nettie Rhett was the Shadow. What the Shadow is is still a work in progress, as are the powers that come along with being such an entity. Nettie Rhett is still working out all the kinks of being the Shadow, and while many questions have been
Helen
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. It was okay with elements of good.

My problem with this was Rhett/ Nettie. Her whole 'I'm a man and I'm in love with some and hate the rest' attitude.
Jessica Miller
I would like to start this review off by saying that this was written by one of my most favorite authors and despite the following review, I still feel that way.

This book was written well. It has a good general story going on and a great description/feel of the book. 99% of the characters and interesting and complex. My mind is completely, 100% in 1800's Texas when reading and I love it.

But I strongly dislike the main character. There may be slight spoilers going forward.
I really liked Nettie.
Steven
As you may know from my review, I *LOVED* Wake of Vultures, book one in this series about the Shadow. This installment, Conspiracy of Ravens, hit me in a lot of the same feels, but this time, it felt a little less polished. The plot took longer to spool up to where the action would really start -- the first 50-60% of the book was strictly traveling to the location where the main plot would actually begin to create the real action. This book had a lot more setup, creating some new threads for ...more
Lindsay
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gender and sexual awakenings in a fantasy version of the old west as we continue the story of Nettie Lonesome, now Rhett Hennessey and the Shadow.

Nettie comes back to herself after discovering she can shift into a huge vulture-like bird to find that she has a new mission. And a new identity, as she finally realizes that Rhett isn't just a disguise, but the identity that she wishes going forward. If nothing else, Rhett is a stubborn man. After reuniting with old friends he heads out of his part
Cupcakes & Machetes
My review of Wake of Vultures.

Rhett Walker is the Shadow. What that means is still a bit of a mystery to him. What he does know is that he follows his gut feeling into the monster den and kills what needs killin'. This time around Rhett and his friends are begged to take care of a railroad boss that cuts off pieces of his monster workers to fuel building the railroad. A monster that scares and controls other monsters makes quite the villain.

The most important part of this story really isn't
Lisa
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/1...

2.5/5 stars

DISCLAIMER: I normally write spoiler free reviews. In this case I really wanted to talk about some of the diversity features of Conspiracy of Ravens. There may be spoilers in regard to that aspect of the book.

Unfortunately, Conspiracy of Ravens just did not work as well for me as Wake of Vultures (which was an unexpected hit for me last year). I felt the over all pace of the story was slower. In the first book, I
Shaun Hutchinson
Every book from Lila Bowen (Delilah Dawson) is a gift. Each is full of flawed, raw, beautiful characters and lots of glorious violence. Conspiracy of Ravens is the second book to feature Rhett's continued adventures as the Shadow, and this was one hell of a ride. The thing I love most about Rhett is that he's stubborn, decisive when he ought to be a little more thoughtful, hot-headed, amd he refuses to live his life by anyone's terms but his own. He's not your typical hero, and that makes him ...more
Amanda
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Zara
It was nice to Rhett finally discovering himself. I don't like the guy half the time, because he's an ass, but that could be just me.
I still love Winifred so much, tho.
Nay Denise
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received an ARC copy for review.

Holy heck this pretty damn good. A great sequel for sure. The western writing was still about difficult and annoying to read at times. The lingo just bores me, but the overall story was just phenomenal. Paranormal beings, alchemists, humans, magic, sexism, racism...just full of so much that builds this story up.

Nettie is still working hard as a Ranger, but she has finally embraced being the Shadow. She know goes by a new name -- Rhett Hennessy Walker. She is still
Allie Riley
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic instalment in this series. Completely loved it and can't wait to read the next one (which I plan to start as soon as I've finished typing this). Highly recommended. (The synopsis is wrong by the way, previously genderfluid Nettie is now male Rhett and uses he/his pronouns. So he is not a woman.)
Paul
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a disappointment after A Wake of Vultures. Suffering from fantasy second book syndrome, Bowen relies on describing her characters rather than telling a story. Gave up on page 188. Too bad, was a great start.
Tamara✨
So happy I FINALLY got my hands on this book!!! I had been waiting for it to appear in my local library for ages. It was worth the wait, eeeeven though I think I liked the first book more...

Again, that is not to say I didn't like the second installment!! It's just I think because the first book was so different to anything I've read before, and so fun and engaging that I just had hoped that the second would leave me feeling the same way. But since I've 'been' to this world before, I obviously
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
I liked this even more than the prequel.
Such a diverse cast of characters with basic human motivations and weaknesses. Fantastical and historical (in its way) all at once. Smart.
I can't wait for the sequel.
Guilan
Magdalena Deniz
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if you wanna read about transmale bisexual murderous cowboys.... this book is for you
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

4.5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Conspiracy of Ravens starts directly after the events at the end of Wake of Vultures. Continuing Nettie/Rhett’s story. And, you can find my review for the first book !!HERE!!

As I mentioned in my review of the previous book, along with the story being told it was also about Nettie/Rhett’s journey and
Quinn David
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liam
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, another Shadow. My thesis for the review is that I'm committed to reading the third one when it comes out.

What works for this entry is the contnued journey in this wild, vast, imaginitive setting. As with the first book, the author gives a voice to marginalized voices, and empowers the characters, and I am in full support of these people finding their humanity, and, simultaneously, supernatural abilities. Ooh, paradox! More please. The suspense and flow at the denoument were very satisfying.
Susan Swanson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this one even more than the first in the series. Because there is less world building that needs to be done, more of the book can concentrate on exploring this alternate version of Texas and history. There are interesting characters to encounter. And although the main character still has much to learn about themselves, their personality seems more solid than in the first book. I think there was just a lot of ground to cover in the opening book of this series. Now that a certain ...more
Tasula
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Wake of Vultures starts where the cliffhanger of book 1 ended. Nettie/Rhett is an unusual hero- a half black/half American Indian teenage orphan, who ran away from abuse and found a home among the Rangers- a group defending people from supernatural predators. Nettie found herself more comfortable in men's clothing, working with and acting like a man (Rhett), and she/he continues as such in this book, acknowledged as a man except by a few who know his/her secret. He experiences a ...more
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* YA, Western, Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts

Conspiracy of Ravens is the second installment in author Lila Bowen née Delilah S. Dawson's The Shadow series. The story picks up right where Wake of Vultures left off. Rhett Hennessy née Nettie Lonesome, had just launched himself off a cliff in order to embrace his two-natured self. Rhett discovers that he can become a giant bird. After losing himself as a fearless bird who is the predator, and not the prey for what appears
Jessica
I started this and to halt. My friend and sister want to read the series together and I have to wait for them to catch up! Coming back very soon, precious. Very. Soon.
Monica
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I love these books so much! One of my favorite protagonists of all time! Fantasy western is my new favorite genre.
Rana
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. So inclusive and diverse and simple. The point at which [blank] becomes [blank] was so heart-stoppingly beautiful. Blink and you'll miss it.
Lisa Reads & Reviews
Slow. Nothing happens for the first 10o or so pages. Most the characters are action figures with quirks that became annoying. Then comes a mission with no real motivation except that missions are what the Shadow does. Then a short story. Then a cliffhanger. What's not to like? I was given the series so I guess I'll finish it. Not soon.
Angie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series, and I liked it more than the first. Yes, it is a fantasy series with shape shifters and monsters, but it's also a really well-written Wild West adventure with some complex characters and relationships, that also includes issues on racism, a transgender narrator, and I appreciated how the author even addressed mundane things like dealing with your period in mid-1800 Texas.
Lannah
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #118 Conspiracy of Ravens by Lila Bowen 1 4 Sep 30, 2017 03:24PM

• First Dangle and Other Stories
  • Death & Honey
  • No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)
  • Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1)
  • Stone Mad (Karen Memory, #2)
  • Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)
  • The Grand Dark
  • The Raven Tower
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Gather the Fortunes (Crescent City, #2)
  • Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • The Light Brigade
  • Escaping Exodus
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • The City of Lost Fortunes (Crescent City #1)
Lila Bowen is the writer of Wake of Vultures and its sequel, Horde of Crows. As Delilah S. Dawson, she writes the Blud series, the Hit series, Servants of the Storm, and a variety of short stories and comics.

The Shadow (4 books)
  • Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1)
  • Malice of Crows (The Shadow, #3)
  • Treason of Hawks (The Shadow, #4)