Start by marking “I.D.” as Want to Read:
I.D.

I.D.

A dystopian tale that analyzes the conflict between perception and identity through the struggle of three people who consider a 'body transplant' as a solution to their lives.
Published June 28th 2016 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about I.D., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I.D.

Start your review of I.D.
Irena BookDustMagic
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Going into this story I had no expectations.
Graphic Novels are not what I read on regular basis, so I don't feel like an expert when it comes to reviewing them, but I still feel like I can tell what I liked and what I disliked in an acceptable way.

I.D. is a dystopian story told in a format of graphic novel.
I say it is a dystopian because that is what is said in the synopsis, but if you ask me, I say it is a futuristic story.
You see, there is no „new world order“ (or in case there is, we didn't h
David Schaafsma
A story with some really interesting potential, asking the question: What if you don’t like your body? Old people, disabled people, trans people (in some respects?), people who want to be thinner or heavier, and so on. And another question: How is your identity in some sense connected to your body? If you change bodies, are you a different person?

So obviously transplanting is a thing, increasingly, and I seem to recall whole-body transplanting IS being discussed, researched. So Rios makes a pre
Anusha Narasimhan
Interesting concept combining science and a bit of psychology. I liked the reasons behind the three people's choice to change their body. Though the book is set in the future, all the three reasons hold good in today's world.

The art is rendered beautifully. The comic is pleasing in shades of red and pink. The story possibly takes place in Mars and that makes the red colour scheme apt.

The execution could have been better. I still like the idea and the art. Hence, giving this 3 stars.

Note: I recei
Scarlet Cameo
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
English review at the bottom

"Hating your body or your life doesn't mean you hate yourself"

¿Realmente que es lo que somos?¿Una mente?¿Un cuerpo?¿La combinación de ambas? Esta obra nos platea esta cuestión a través de nuestros tres protagonistas (Noa, Miguel y Charlotte), un caótico mundo que se desmorona alrededor de ellos y al mismo tiempo se hace más fuerte conforme se centra únicamente en ellos tres, y un procedimiento médico: el trasplante de cerebro.

Con un Noa con el deseo de ser quien e
lauren ♡
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately intrigued by the concept of this book. Identity issues are something that are extremely common in society and I definitely don't think they get the representation they deserve. Seeing that this graphic novel talked about identity and then a sci-fi aspect of body transplants I definitely wanted to read it.

Unfortunately, it just wasn't quite well executed enough.

I definitely appreciate the res
Tatiana
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've been wanting to read this for AGES. It's done in this weird pink scale and it's about 3 people who want to get new bodies.

I dunno. I just didn't really care for it. I kinda wish it had been set present day vs dystopian (??) science fiction. But it didn't seem very far into the future...

Don't recommend beyond the interesting colors.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

I'm not going to lie it was the cover that made me pick this up to see its synopsis because it looked so intricate and something different with it all being drawin in pink.

With the mention of "body transplants" in the synopsis it reminded me of the Uglies series I read a few years ago and thought it would be interesting to see another persons take on a similar kind of process and as it was clearly science f
Alex Sarll
A strange, gorgeous little tale using a vaguely plausible invented method of body transplant to poke at our current tangles regarding questions of identity. Setting it on a part-terraformed Mars seems largely a justification for everything being drawn and lettered in shades of red and pink - which you'd expect to be hard on the eye, but is in fact mesmerising. There are some pages dominated by a leafy tree, in particular, which are almost as transfixing as the real thing - and I do love the loca ...more
Artemy
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
A nice short sci-fi story about body transplantation, drawn and written by Emma Ríos. Reminds me a bit of Warren Ellis's sci-fi shorts, like Ocean and Orbiter. The story is pretty abstract, but it's good for what it is. Tightly written, with no unnecessary exposition, but with enough background and detail to make the story believable. And Emma's art is great, even though it's presented here in flat red and white, with no additional coloring. Overall, an enjoyable book.
Cathy
I jumped at the opportunity to get an ARC of this because the description sounded fascinating and right up my alley compared to the normal novels that I enjoy. And I've become more and more interested in comics and graphic novels in the last few years as well. The intersection was impossible to resist. I hadn't gotten a graphic novel from NetGalley before and it too some finagling to figure out that the Bluefire reader was the best way to download comics to my iPad (in case you want to try one i ...more
Sarah Marie
I.D. by Emma Rios

I.D. follows three people who are no longer satisfied with their mediocre lives. They think the solution to their problems is a body transplant. The concept of this graphic novel is simple, but very fascinating. I thought this was going to be a strong story and poignant, but I found it to be very lacking. The story itself is only about 67 pages long with art and words to develop a plotline and because this is a very brief story I expected there to be more of a punch be

Fantasy Literature
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars from Bill, read the full review at FANTASY LITERATURE

Emma Rios’ I.D. is a graphic story with a good premise, and some flashes of excellent artwork, but overall the illustration style didn’t work for me, while the characters and plot weren’t developed enough for my liking.

It begins with a trio of seemingly mismatched people conversing in a coffeeshop, and one of those aforementioned flashes of brilliance come via the page after we see a pull-back view of the three at their table. The ne
Dan
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I got a copy of this from Netgalley for a fair and honest review.
So this is a story that takes place in the future, and in the future, you can get a new body if you do not like the one you are in. There wasn't much to the story as it did seem to tell a little bit in tiny doses. The story seemed to be all over the place and a bit rushed. The fact that this was one color and red made for an extremely annoying read.
Maggie Gordon
I was really surprised to see that this was an Image book. The art and book production is quite a departure from their usual stuff, but I can't say that's a bad thing. Rios' illustrations are manga-esque, done in shades of pink. The pages are detailed and printed on rough paper rather than the high gloss many comics prefer. It's a pretty nice looking book!

Unfortunately, the story is weak. Three people are considering experimental body swapping. They live in a dystopia that doesn't make sense. Re
Blair
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a small story in a classic vein of medical speculation, imagining that full body transplants (or brain transplants, depending on which way you look at it) are available, and why someone would want one. It has a solid grounding in medical details (despite the overall implausibility and the characters are well drawn in both the literal and figurative senses, with some great layout work as well.
Jeff Lewonczyk
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I found the artwork distinctive and attractive, but the story just didn't have the impact I wanted, and didn't stick with me as I'd hoped. Still, I look forward to seeing what Rios does next.
Granit Hysiqi
Huh, very strange font choice.
Kathleen
Sketching the surface of a deeper world, this story follows three characters considering changing their entire bodies. With a backdrop of the colonization of Mars and anti-slavery riots, this novel explores the question of what kind of person would wish to completely change their body and why. Thought provoking, beautiful, and entertaining, I highly recommend this comic.
Randa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The cover:
The cover is very simple and yet very intriguing too. What drew me first to this graphic novel is the cover.

The story:
This graphic novel is a sci-fi story set in a dystopian world where there is chaos and struggle. The story follows three people and their struggle with their identities and how they want to overcome their issues and problems by undergoing a “body transplant”, changing their bodies by extracting their brains from their current body and planting it in the newest one.

What
Jessica Valiente
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
To read this review on my blog, click HERE.

I wanted to like this so bad. That summary is so intriguing, the artwork is beyond beautiful, and there’s even a character that’s struggling with gender issues! Three promising things, and I thought I would love it… but ultimately, this really fell flat for me. Truthfully, the only reason I gave this a two-star rating instead of one is because the illustrations are beautiful.

QUICK THOUGHTS:
1. For a graphic novel that totes itself as a “dystopian tale,”
Thelonia Saunders
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you could change bodies – would you?
That’s the question behind Emma Rios’ new graphic novel, I.D.. Set in a dystopian future in which humanity has spread its reaches to the stars (or at least the solar system), the graphic novel explores themes of dysphoria and mental health in a sci-fi context. At its heart, I.D. is the story of three people – Noa, a 17 year old trans man who doesn’t feel comfortable in his too feminine body, Charlotte, a 51 year old french woman who says she’s just bored, a
Tamara✨
I love love LOVE it when comics/graphic novels get deep and shit. Yeah man. Deep and shit. ANYWAY, this here comic is set in an alternate future where you can sign up to get a BODY TRANSPLANT.... I KNOW! This story in particular revolves around three different people who see this as the only solution for their problems. One person wants to be present the gender they are on the inside, another wants to understand what it is to be human, while the third person is just bored with life.

The concept
Attila Cthulhuson
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I requested this from Netgalley since I was excited at the prospect of a graphic novel dealing with identity. Specifically the book was to be about three people in the future where you can trade bodies with others. The main three characters are someone wanting a body to match their gender identity, and two others who aren't as forthright. I was sold!

Sadly it wasn't as character-focused as I'd expect. It tries at one point to develop the world, with the characters incidentilly being in a terroris
Sarah Fairbairn
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review.

The story begins with a Coffee shop meeting between the three main characters:
A 17-year-old boy feeling trapped inside the female body he was born with.
A 51-year-old woman, a writer who is bored and depressed.
A no-age-given man, a psychiatrist pretending to be an ex-convict wanting a new life, but is really there studding identity disorders.

This is a story with serious potential. It could have been a really engaging
melissa
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably a 2.5 but rounded up.

Really loved the concept of this and was intrigued by the red-scale art work which could have been beautiful.

Sadly, this really fell a bit flat. The artwork made it hard to understand what was happening in the conflict panels.

It was awesome to see a comic take on gender identity issues and trying to find solutions.

*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl
This book was kind of like a bad drug trip. The story was choppy and the "red-scale" was very strange. I did like the ending and the explanation of the similar procedures at the very end. The characters were generally likeable but only Noa really seemed special. I think this story would make a better book than a graphic novel. It had a good base for the story but just didn't work for me.
Olivia
Such a good concept and I loved the style, but neither story nor graphics were developed enough for me.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I found thi story a bit weird, but I have to admit that I liked this quirky side of the story
Matt Graupman
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
First serialized in the comics anthology magazine “Island,” Emma Rios’ high-concept sci-fi drama “I.D.” is now collected in a slim graphic novel format. I missed out on “Island” during its brief publishing run so I only knew Emma Rios by name and reputation but, scanning the bookstore shelves, I was immediately drawn to the look of her work in “I.D.” Drippy and animated with a little bit of graffiti-influenced edge, the book is printed in vibrant shades of red and pink which makes the comic stan ...more
Jill Jemmett
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Noa, Charlotte, and Mike want to undergo a new transplant surgery to get a new body. They meet in a cafe to talk about it, while terrorist attacks happen around them. Noa is a girl who believes she is a man inside. She wants to get a man's body. Charlotte is a middle-aged writer. She's curious about the transplant to a new body. Mike is researching the surgery, so he wants to try it to know what it's like, hands-on. The three of them go to a meeting about the procedure, where they learn about th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lectura fácil
  • Nijigahara Holograph
  • The End of Summer
  • Yellow Negroes and Other Imaginary Creatures
  • Moi aussi je voulais l'emporter
  • Plutona
  • Middlewest, Book One
Emma Ríos is a cartoonist based in Spain. She focussed on a mix of both architecture and small press until working on comics full time in 2007. Having worked for Boom! Studios and Marvel, she returned to creator-owned production in 2013 thanks to Image Comics. She currently co-edits Island with Brandon Graham, and co-creates Pretty Deadly with Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Mirror with Hwei Lim.

News & Interviews