Start by marking “One Night” as Want to Read:

One Night

Luna Begay is as studious and serious about her Aboriginal heritage as her sister, Issy, is outgoing and fun. When Issy convinces Luna to go with her to a party full of rich kids, Luna is surprised to end up talking with Jon, who is charming, sophisticated, and very good-looking. But the night turns bad when Jon drugs and rapes Luna.

Feeling guilty and ashamed that she will
Published August 1st 2016 by Lorimer (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night

Trisha
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I can see the point of this story, I feel like it read more like a play than a novel. It was just too short and too blatant with the message. It doesn't work around it, really go into detail or really give a better scenario than the normal for this type of book. It reads like a Dangers of Drinking booklet given to kids. It was just okay but lacked the depth or finesse to really make me love it.
Keep Calm Novel On
NetGalley provided a copy of the ePub in exchange for an honest review.

Melanie Florence’s young adult novel One Night is a powerful read for all readers. Written for reluctant readers it will be read by readers at all levels.

Luna speaks with such honesty and tells her story with integrity. She is a goal driven student with high expectations for herself. She is supported and loved by her family. Her family support and trust is tested after Luna discovers she is pregnant. Luna had attended a party
Donna Maguire
This book handled some tough subjects very well for a book aimed primarily at young adults - it is not often that you can get a book that is easy to read that covers such topics as date rape, racism, bullying, teenage pregnancy and adoption well but I am glad to have read this one - the way that author has written it makes it flow very well and I read it in a day.
Mandy Peterson
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My compliments to whoever wrote the summary. It basically tells you exactly what to expect from this realistic fiction book. I appreciated the immediate clarification that "Indian" here means "Native American". Since that term can easily mean two different ethnicities, it was nice having it set out straightaway.

Goodness, where to begin? Alphabetically (because, you know, librarian):

-CHARACTERS
I adore Luna. She was so much like me in high school that it made her struggles more difficult to read.
Tanya Grech Welden
This is a quick read with simple language that will probably have some appeal for less than enthusiastic readers (or those with low ability). While "One Night" deals with themes and ideas that are relevant to and of great interest to adolescents (notably teen pregnancy and rape), it does so in a rather pedestrian manner. I appreciated that Florence set out to explore the topic through the lens of an indigenous girl living in Canada while touching upon the race issues that are interwoven with thi ...more
Anne
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
As a niche book written for reluctant YA readers "One Night" actually packs quite a wallop, and is sure to appeal to teenage girls who may have not have developed a reading habit. Luna and Issy are two aboriginal sisters living in Toronto with their hard working parents, who are eking out a marginal living and trying to improve their family's lot in life. The girls attend a public high school where they exist on the fringes of school popularity. Issy is more outgoing than Luna and convinces her ...more
Tina
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Sidestreets series of books, I think they are a "must" read for all YA (and everyone else). They are brave enough to tackle difficult subjects, which I think is IMPERATIVE, considering the world we now live in. These books open up discussions that are a MUST.

One Night was an okay read. I have read better books in this series. While there was nothing wrong with the story, considering how ambitious this book was - tackling two very difficult and painful subjects, I felt as though neithe
Kelly (purplebookstand)
One Night

I haven't read any of Florence's other books, but this a great young adult read, very relevant to the young people in today's society.

There are some difficult subjects broached in this book, and I think they are sensitively handled - date rape and teen pregnancy, adoption, cultural ties, racism, and many other issues. This is a well written, easy read that I think that teenage girls in particular, will enjoy.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchang
natasa
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
egész jó kis könyv ez a maga egyszerűségében. az tetszett különösen, hogy végig megtartotta a támogató hangnemet, amivel jólesett sodródni. meg az is klassz volt, hogy végre egy okos szereplő, aki végig okos maradt, még ha félelemből hozott is butácska döntést a titkolózással, de ez abszolút megalapozott volt. azt sajnáltam kicsit -- bár értettem a miértjét --, hogy végül eléggé elkente az erőszak kérdését.
Christina Culbertson
So I just finished the young adult book called "One night." As a native American myself, and a young adult novel lover, I went ahead and picked this book up at the library. Being a 27 year old female, I can still learn a thing or two in a young adult novel. This book was decent. Poor little luna, innocent as can be, gets talked into going to a party with her outgoing sister, ends up getting drugged and raped. She was a virgin, so it was very sad for her to lose her virginity, get drugged and rap ...more
Anne Martin
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
It is not only that I did not care much for this book, the problem is that it really made me mad.
The story holds in a few lines: Luna goes to a party, is given a rohypnol laced drink, passes out, is raped and goes home. She does not tell anyone. She is pregnant from the rape, waits fifteen weeks to try old wives remedies that don't work, has be baby and gives him up for adoption. Complete it with the fact that Luna is a 17 year old senior in high school and that she is a Native from Canada.
So, n
Shane
One Night is a good story, but I feel like it could have gone deeper. In regards to what happened to Luna, I'm well aware that many girls don't speak out with the way they are often dealt with by the public, but I wish that this story had gone a different way and that Luna had fought for justice. I agree with her decision about her baby though, she showed strength in that sense.

Other things that warmed my heart was the thick bond between the siblings, which is not often portrayed in YA books. I
Anna
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beta, 2016-count
Brittney
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 Stars

Warning: Rape

The writing seemed simple and sounded awkward for the first half. I'm unsure if I just became immune to the simple writing or if it did get better through the book because the last half seemed better to me. Putting that aside, this is an important story as well as a quick read. (view spoiler)

Judy
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With interesting characters and a fast moving plot, One Night should appeal to many middle and high school girls. The story line is current and relevant. There are many issues (date rape, mean girls, racial slurs, teen pregnancy, adoption, underage drinking) that have the potential to spark lively discussions.

The book states it has a 3.0 reading level, which makes it accessible to a wider range of students.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
CF