Start by marking “The Jerusalem Scrolls (The Zion Legacy, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Jerusalem Scrolls (The Zion Legacy, #4)

The Jerusalem Scrolls (Zion Legacy #4)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  706 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In The Jerusalem Scrolls, bestselling authors Bodie and Brock Thoene take the story back in time from the battle for Jerusalem in 1948 to tell an ancient tale of love, faith, and redemption. After days of brutal fighting against Arab forces, Moshe Sachar, the courageous leader of the Israelis, escapes to a tunnel under the Old City and discovers sacred scrolls that tell th ...more
Published September 24th 2002 by Penguin (first published October 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Jerusalem Scrolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jerusalem Scrolls

Dany
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was good but I really don't like the "story within a story" format. I've been left with a cliffhanger regarding the story was being told, as this book and apparently the next two, are the start of a new series called the A.D. Chronicles. Good but kind of disappointing.
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

This book takes place primarily during the time of Jesus. Moshe Sachar is underground hiding during a very dark time for the new Jewish state and has been directed to read these ancient scrolls that have been preserved for hundreds or thousands of years by his wife's grandfather.

One minor note on that front. For the most part I have not been able to discern major mistakes by the Thoene's but in the prologue both Moshe and Alfie refer to Rebbe Lebowitz (Moshe's grandfa
James Burns
What can I say,? it left me wanting more, I really feel like I lost a love one. It Started out in Jeruselum 1948, and then to Jeruselum when Jesus Christ whalked and preached. Its centered on two Characters, Miryam, "a beautiful woman yet troubled young widow' with very loose Morals, and Marcus "her Roman Suitor." Theirs is a love,Hate,love relationship; both trying to find themselves.
An outcast of her own people, who is dead to her people; whose mother committed suicide when she was a young gir
Lisa Lawrence
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bible verse about the one without sin can cast the first stone at the woman guilty of adultery... it has a depth of meaning when one reads this story of the people behind the briefly described incident.
Julie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing story of the full range of human emotion and the search for true love by two people with very different stories. This may the best book I've read by the Thoenes! As each character deals with the demons of their past and the horrors that plague them in the present, they each come to similar conclusions in their own ways and in their own time just as we all do. The depth of understanding about how we let our past define us and how difficult or impossible it may be to let go of the ...more
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was much different from the previous 3 books in the series. Not only is this particular book set in a different time period (approx. 1st century AD), but there's a totally different group of characters. At first, I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. But the storyline was interesting and kept my interest. There were recognizable Biblical references within the story. Can't wait to find out how the ancient tale connects to that of the main storyline set in 1948!
Nonie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The story begins in the 20th century as Jerusalem is being overrun and goes back to the first century via the writings found on underground scrolls which have been preserved beneath the temple mount. The book tells of happenings that are found in the christian gospel from the perspective of a roman centurion and a jewish harlot.
Kathryn
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
So glad I continued with this series, this book has very little, in fact almost nothing to do with the previous 3, it goes back in time to Jesus's days on earth, and is a fictional account of Mary Magdalene's life and back story and her encounters with Jesus. Some parts were obviously predictable, and you knew what was coming, but I really enjoyed this even better than the previous 3 books!
Kim
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chf
I have always like the Thoene's writing, but this one captivated me more than the rest of the series b/c it had more historical and less fiction than the other Zion Legacy books. Truth is fascinating.
Jenna
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For those who love the Bible, this would be an excellent book to read. It is about the time of Jesus, but from the Roman Centurions viewpoint and a certain woman of ill repute. The style of writing encourages you to read on and on.
Mark Baker
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2001
The focus shirts from 1948 to 1st Century Israel for this moving story of Jesus's mercy and grace.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kw
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite a stretch, to imagine Mary Magdalene as the sister of Martha and Lazarus and Mark as The Centurion. Of course I know this is fiction, and pretty great fiction at that, but I wonder why they did this? Just so strange.
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great historical retelling of the beginning of Statehood of Israel, good characterisations and authentic Messianic Jewish culture. I also liked that it was fair about the different peoples/cultures/religions involved, even though the book was told from the (Messianic) Jewish perspective.
Robin Densmore
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
Nancy
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once you know the Bible story, this series is a good addition - they put you right there at the time and in the place. Very enlightening - but remember, they are novels not history.
Bridg8
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of the story that became the series, "A.D. Chronicles". The story of Marcus and Miriam.
Joe Hampton
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best books in the series so far. Such a good job of showing the reality of events in those times.
Christine
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My heart is full
Jayne
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Had a hard time getting into it, but really enjoyed the story once I got started. Worth the read!
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Emrick
Jul 23, 2011
Lori
Feb 02, 2012
  • Sequoia Scout (Saga of the Sierras, #4)
  • A House Divided (The Russians, #2)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene

Zion Legacy (6 books)
  • Jerusalem Vigil (Zion Legacy, #1)
  • Thunder from Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #2)
  • Jerusalem's Heart (The Zion Legacy, #3)
  • Stones of Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #5)
  • Jerusalem's Hope (Zion Legacy, #6)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99