Start by marking “Tunnel Through Time” as Want to Read:
Tunnel Through Time

Lester del Rey

Tunnel Through Time

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This is a science fiction story about what it would be like to go back 80 million years in time and see what the Earth was like then.

Published by Westminster John Knox Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Tunnel Through Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tunnel Through Time

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This was one of the books that my dyslexic brother read voluntarily when he was in elementary school, so I figured it had to be pretty gripping. He read it more than once. Back in 67, when it came out, dinosaurs were big news as more and more fossils came to light all over the world. He told everyone he wanted to be a paleontologist and read everything he could get his hands on to do with them.
A few weeks ago I came across A Wrinkle in Time and thought it was the book my brother had loved so mu
Heather  D-G
Letting my nine-year old rate this one. He's much more the target audience for this SF vintage middle-grade novel from 1966. We read this out loud, a chapter or two at a time, just before bed. It's *Land of the Lost* meets *Stargate*, and is filled with golden-age goodness and quite a bit of outdated dinosaur speculation. Lots of fun, especially if you don't try to judge it by today's standards. Lester Del Rey (better known for his editing and still-going-strong SF publishing imprint) has anothe ...more
دانیال بهزادی
خب کتاب بیشک برای ردهٔ سنی نوجوان نوشته شده بود. البته از پیش هم انتظارش رو داشتم و عاملی که باعث شد این کتاب رو بخونم، خاطرهٔ خوب دوران کودکیم از خوندن کتاب روبوت فراری از همین نویسنده بود. شاید اگه این کتاب روهم در همون زمان میخوندم، لذّت بیشتری ازش میبردم. ...more
Myth Liberated
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یه کتاب ساده با داستان پیش پا افتاده کاملا مناسب برای تخیل کودکان
Paul Darcy
by Lester Del Rey, published in 1966.

Time travel, the ultimate science fiction convention . . . Well, I think it is one of them at least. And this short novel by Lester Del Rey is one such tale.

And, I’m embarrassed to say, this is my first ever Lester Del Rey (written) story I’ve read. If you are in to science fiction then you will immediately recognize Del Rey as a publisher.

So how was this short novel? Well it’s a young boy’s adventure tale, but don’t expect anything quite so good as Heinlein.
Jim Razinha
I had this as a kid and for a Year of Nostalgic Rereads, it was a no-brainier...once I stumbled across it again earlier this year. I had another copy of the same 1971 Scholastic edition from my childhood that I found at a Half Price Books but that's gone now. I'm pretty sure that this was the first book I read that involved time travel - I was 10 and don't recall another earlier written exposure. I was enamoured, though even my 10 year old eyes saw that Lester del Rey mixed up his timelines (I h ...more
Julie
A cute story about time travel that takes people back to the age of the dinosaur, and then the difficult journey back to the present day in hazardous leaps forward in time.
Really easy read, and was entertaining, but a bit confusing at the end. I feel like the author was trying to make some kind of philosophical point, but it really didn't fit with the general feeling of the story - which was mostly flat.
Joe
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great read from my youth

fast-paced, fun, what we would today call YA SF. can't remember how long ago i read this (at least 3 decades, prob 4), but recognized passages & turns of phrase. odd how several things stated as fact (with 1965 paleontology), have now been shown to be likely completely wrong (i.e., feathers - i'll let you look it up)
Wayne
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a book I'd read in my youf, but it turns out it wasn't. It's a book Jo read in her youf. It's a time-travel YA novel. A couple teenage boys go back in time and have to find their way back. It's better than I expected, but it's showing its age a bit.
Robert Brown
This was one of my favorites back when I was about eight years old. Maybe my first SF. I still have my forty-year-old copy, and just read it to my seven-year-old son, a chapter at a time, at bedtime. He liked it too. Maybe some day he'll read it to his son.
Zahra Dashti
اون موقع که خوندمش دوسش داشتم :)
Christine Butler
This is another wonderful book I got through my elementary school years and loved it! I also read this to my kids in our evening reading times.
Frank
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read many times as a kid. Rating based on that perspective.
Dan
This was the first SF book I ever read (4th grade, I believe). I still have very fond memories of it.
Victor Yu
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book , but cheap paper, it rips too easily and i don't like that. its like mad old paper man
Daniel
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for kids who love dinosaurs and time travel...
The other John
Sep 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: braincandy, sf
I literally picked this one up off the sidewalk. One evening whilst out strolling, we came a cross a neighbor's house with boxes of books for the taking sitting out along the sidewalk. It looks like the St. Alphonsus School Library was cleaning house and didn't feel like sending someone all the way down to the Goodwill. Anyway, I tell you this to explain why I bothered to read this particular book. Tunnel Through Time is a science fiction tale written for kids. Bob Miller is the seventeen-year-o ...more
Natalie

A scientist has created a device that tunnels through time. The protagonist is his son, 17 year old Bob Miller. Bob and his father's friend, Doc Tom, and Doc Tom's son Pete volunteer for a time travel journey even though the device is not perfected.

The time travelers wander through the Ice Age and other primitive surroundings, equipped with only the barest essent
Kevin Kraft
This book did much to fertilize my already-vivid imagination when I was a child. I was both surprised and not surprised that others have been similarly affected. One would likely ask why this book has never been made into a film. But, in truth, it has been a number of times over, as it is one of the pioneers of time-travel books and deserves a special place in literary annals.
Gary Noel
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a kid and immediately fell in love with the concept of time travel. I still love time travel, whether it's books or movies.
Theresa
Jan 31, 2013
Larry
Dec 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • Supermind
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Stranglers' Moon (Family d'Alembert #2)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Earthman, Come Home (Cities in Flight, #3)
  • The Witling
  • Mission to Universe
  • Skeen's Return
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • The Stars In Their Courses
Lester del Rey was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
aka Erik van Lhin
aka Kenneth Wri
More about Lester del Rey

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)