Start by marking “Honestly” as Want to Read:
Honestly

Honestly

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Talented and beautiful, Sheila Walsh seeined to be on top of her world. But behind her public success as a performing artist and talk show host, a private story was unfolding. Unable to cope with the inner turmoil that plagued her, Sheila stepped down as co-host of television's "700 Club" to deal with a pain too pressing to ignore. Honestly takes you on a journey past the ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Honestly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honestly

Debbie Phillips
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Adult Christians
Shelves: spiritual
This is a really good book. Sorry this is a long review but it was a really good book and really affected me, more than I thought it would.

It is an autobiography/memoir type book about Sheila's struggle with clinical depression. I read this book, firstly, because it was from my cousin who died from cancer last year. She allowed me, a couple years ago, to choose some books from her shelves that she was done with... this was one of them. I also read it, and chose it from her shelves, because the t
Georgia Herod
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having heard bits and pieces of Sheila Walsh's clinical depression as she shared in Women of Faith events and having listened to her lovely voice singing great hymns of the faith, I was eager to read Honestly, in which she transparently reveals her successful career and her falling into depression and entering a psychiatric hospital for treatment. It is her "journey of a soul as it moved from hopelessness, to honesty, to freedom, and ultimately, to a deepened faith and joy."

Walsh emphasizes how
Marlene
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A honest look into mental illness and how the church reacts to someone with mental illness
Becki
This book isn�t from my bookshelves either (I�m not doing so great on that challenge). But I saw Sheila Walsh speak back in March and just really connected to her message. She has been through the ringer and come out victorious in Jesus and her relationship with God. I could relate to so many things she said that I just wanted to read everything she�s written trying to find additional help for myself.\n\nSo I got this book from the library. It is basically her story from one of the lowest points ...more
Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson
Sharing one's battle with depression takes courage. Especially when you are a public figure, and most especially when so many in the Christian community still regard depression as something to be hidden or as a sign of failure. Sheila Walsh does a wonderful job of sharing her journey with honestly and humility.
Jaclynn
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
Sheila’s life looked perfect from the outside, she was helping many people find the Lord, a sort of “celebrity” to many but then after gradually unraveling she came to a point where she needed to seek the help of others and to honestly look at herself in the light of God’s grace. This is an excellent book!
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful story about overcoming our struggles. It was heartwarming to read a story about someone going through similar struggles who is deep in Christian faith. I think it helped me to realize that I need to rely on my faith but also that faith alone won't always carry us through those tough times. This book was a true inspiration to me
Allison Jordan
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Sheila's transparency! What a beautiful testimony that she shares with us through her struggle with clinical depression. I encourage any of you struggling with depression or anxiety to read this book. There is hope in Christ!
Beverly Jordan
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In honestly, Sheila Walsh opens up about her battle with depression and her time spent in a hospital for emotional treatment. Walsh beard her soul and gives hope that one can overcome their emotional disorders with the help of God.
Joanne Chantelau
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, for some reason...it was hard to put down. I think it was a timely read for me, but so interesting to hear an honest viewpoint on depression, psych units, counseling, and the things that trouble the soul. It really was honest and I liked it.
PJ
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open, honest, just what I need right now. I'm currently on Chapter 6 about Shame. Hitting home!!
Great book for those going through depression or those wanting to understand a loved one going through it.
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This bio of Sheila Walsh is very gripping and hard to put down. She's extremely honest about all that "went wrong" in her life and all the battles she went through. Sheila's life looked perfect on the outside but it wasn't!
Becky
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heard Sheila Walsh recently on Focus on the Family and ended up being much more moved by the radio interview than by the book -- but maybe that has something to do with the fact that I heard the radio interview first.
Lorraine
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Really got a lot of helpful suggestions. What a lovely lady Sheila Walsh is to share such intimate details of her struggle! Time very well spent.
Christina
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real and honest...Sheila shares the depth of her anguish and heartbreak. She shares with us the real life story of her "rise and fall" and how she had overcome.
Steve
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For me, Sheila uses a lot of words to say nothing. This is supposed to be an honest autobiographic account, but there is really nothing of substance in the book.
Shelly Cameron
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. She lays it out based on her life, honestly!
Paula
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this is an amazing book. She puts into truthful words what I and sure others go through.
Kim Harris
Yvonne Chapman
Oct 31, 2015
Techno_kitty
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheila opened up her heart and shared her battle with depression. Very good book.
Chris Goyer
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • Brother Andrew: God's Secret Agent
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Life Sentence
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
  • Shadow Flight
  • NIV Women of Faith Study Bible: Experience the Liberating Grace of God
  • Brokenness: The Heart God Revives
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • Green Leaf In Drought
  • Albatross: The True Story of a Woman's Survival at Sea
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • The Invisible Force: 365 Ways to Apply the Power of Intention to Your Life
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Spiritual Warfare: Christians, Demonization, and Deliverance

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith®, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-
More about Sheila Walsh...

Nonfiction Deals