Start by marking “Noisy Night” as Want to Read:
Noisy Night

Noisy Night

It's a noisy night in this city building! The residents of each floor can hear their neighbors above them, and are wondering what's going on above their heads. Climb floor by floor and page by page to find out whose singing, dancing, cheering, and cooing are keeping a grumpy old man awake.

With innovative split-level spreads that offer the feeling of climbing an apartment b
Published March 7th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Noisy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noisy Night

Jana
This fun picture book imagines the night life in a tall apartment building by going floor by floor - from the first floor where a little boy is trying to sleep to the top floor where an old man is trying to sleep. On the floors in between there are dancers, cheerleaders, sheep, and many other noisemakers. I like how each page is split between two floors, with one person wondering what's making the noise above his or her head and a sneak peek at the culprit. As I read each page, it was fun to loo ...more
Abigail
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Madcap Bedtime Books
The residents of one very tall apartment building make quite a bit of noise in this entertaining bedtime book from author Mac Barnett and illustrator Brian Biggs. In the cumulative narrative, each resident wonders what is going on above his head, as various noises - the 'lalala' of an opera singer, the "rahrahrah" of cheerleaders - intrude upon their evening at home. Eventually, an old man demands quiet, and the residents below him simmer down...

As anyone who's ever lived in close proximity to o
Sylvester
5* art
5* story/poem

Brilliant. The sounds we hear through the floors of the apartment - what a great idea. This is a perfect read-aloud book if you like to do accents and animal sounds. We had fun just fooling around with the sounds.

Erin Donaldson
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book about what's making noise above...kids can guess what's on the next page.
Jason
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read aloud with a funny ending.
Tasha
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It’s quite a loud evening in the apartment building. People on each floor can hear what’s happening on the floor above them. The person on each floor hears a strange noise, wonders what it is and the illustrations give a hint as well. Each of the noises rhymes with the others, building the feeling the illustrations give of climbing higher and higher up the stories of the structure. There is a great energy about the book

There is a great energy about the book with the climbing of the heights. It’s
Amy Layton
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This book was a fun look at night-time and just what your neighbors might be doing in their spare time.  Narrated with a fun rhythm and illustrated with vibrant colors, Noisy Night is a great book to wind down with!  It's great for younger audiences, and perfect for the child who loves color and repetitive sounds.

Review cross-listed here!
Kelly
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
From an adult perspective, the book was okay. It wasn't particularly engaging. However, for a young one, being read to, I think it's a very nice book. Each page encourages a guess for what might be happening next. The illustrations are bold and not so detailed as to lose the interest of a child.
Mississippi Library Commission
Kids will love reading this bedtime picture book: as each page is turned, a new noisemaker makes their appearance. Discovering each one, from singers to dancers to animal friends, and imitating their noises will lend a special anticipation to this book about the various tenants in a high rise apartment building. The illustrations are big, bright, and exuberant. We guarantee this one will be read again and again.
Deborah Morgan
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Heard Mac speak and was given a copy of this book which I adored the first time I read it. Took it home to my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter whom insisted I read it about 9 times that first day. She loves it and loves making all the sounds the characters in the books make.
Bridget Neace
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story. While little guys would enjoy it, I'd like to also read this to older students to see if they had the background knowledge/context clues in their repertoire to guess what was making the noise in the next level.
Emily
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cool predictive/interactive book. Visual cues help kids guess the next level.
Erica
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
A bit predictable and boring. Just not up my alley.
Idarah
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, read-2017
Boy can I relate! Reminded of that lease I signed when I was sandwiched between a gamer and a musician. There was rarely a quiet night that year.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

I love a good, boisterous book for reading aloud and Noisy Night, from award-winners Mac Barnett and Brian Biggs, certainly delivers on multiple fronts. A rambunctious story centred around figuring out the various- and unexpected!- noises going on in an apartment building, readers are treated to one wacky surprise after another.

Noisy Night opens with a quiet scene of a young boy fast asleep in his bed. The lights are off, the scene is washed in blues and grays and then...suddenly, the lights are
paula
Mac Barnett's first picture book for super-littles. Lots of onomatopoeia and suspenseful pageturns. I like Brian Biggs's bold, bright art, too.
Bethe
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Bookaday #24. Great reminder to not live in a busy apartment building! Good for predicting - love to see the cowboys.
Baby Bookworm
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everyone! Our book today is Noisy Night, written by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Brian Biggs, a fun story of a noisy apartment building and the cast of characters who live there.

A little boy lays awake on his bed on the ground floor of a tall apartment building. He’s being kept awake by the sounds of “LALALA!” from the room above. Turns out his upstairs neighbor is an opera singer… who
Becky
First sentence: What is going La La La above my head? A man is singing opera above my head. What is going ma ma ma above my head? A baby is cooing above my head. What is going baa baa baa above my head? A sheep is speaking above my head.

Premise/plot: There is a LOT going on in this noisy apartment complex. Will any of the residents ever settle down, get quiet, and go to bed?!

My thoughts: I loved this one. (I wasn't sure at first that I would. It took reading it a second time to know for sure.)
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Barnett, Mac. Noisy Night, PICTURE BOOK. Roaring Book Press, 2017. $16.99.

We go up and up and up a high rise apartment building as we hear all the sounds being made above one little boy’s head. First he hears a la-la-la and we see an opera singer singing loudly. Later, it’s some cowboys laughing haw-haw-haw. At the very end it’s an old man demanding for quiet so that he can go to sleep.

I love this. The progression from floor to floor, with rhyming words for each sound that is made, are reall
CalamityMane
RC
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
All the lights are off, and a little boy is ready to go to sleep-- until he hears something above his head! Who is it?

Follow the story from floor to floor and guess who is making that sound above you! Will this noisy night ever be quiet enough to sleep?

The rhythmic, rhyming text repeats its structure on each page and each floor of the building. Illustrator Brian Biggs's bold, colorful pictures help the increasingly silly story along up the building. The new reveal on every page makes a great re
Ed
Jul 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book has repetition and a host of noises. Not necessarily melodic or expected in some places. It's a loud read aloud book - that is probably the only positive point about it. Can not see how this could be classified as a bed time story. It is a noisy night and it only becomes quiet when an irate neighbor screams.
I found some children confused by the layout -turn the page to go up one level in the apartment building. Maybe if the book was printed in landscape, it would have made more sense.
Mrs. Mazzola
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It sure is a noisy night in this apartment building! Each resident can hear the neighbors above them, but can't see what is happening. Read this story and try to guess who is dancing, singing, and keeping everyone awake!

I really enjoyed the interactive components of this story. The pictures provide clues to what is happening on each subsequent floor of an apartment building, and the kids loved trying to guess while I read it aloud. Some of the clues were less clear, but that made the guessing mo
Lynn
What sounds keep YOU awake at night? It could be anything from La La La to Blah Blah Blah!
The readers gets to see all the noise makers in succession, and can compare each page to the windows in the entire building shown on the front cover.
I'd like to try this as a read aloud with a group, and as a bedtime story.
I just realized that the ones who want to sleep are a child and an old grumpy man. Other than a baby most of the evening revelers are young people. Am I the only one who noticed this or a
Kelly Snyder
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book starts with a little boy wondering what is going on in the floor above him and it follows the noises as the building rises higher and higher. People are participating in different activities emanating different sounds during the night including dancing, trumpet playing, sheep speaking and more. This is a great book for predictions and what is making the sounds illustrated in the pictures Will the little boy on the ground floor ever get any sleep? Read the book and find out.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Something different is happening on each floor of the tall, noisy apartment building: people are dancing the cha-cha on one, cowboys are laughing heartily on another, and there is even a girl playing the trumpet. This is a cute book for very young people, as it leaves clues about what is happening on each floor as they move up through the building, and they would have fun trying to guess what all of those different things are.
Gordon
Taking the concept of a high-rise apartment building whose residents' noises can be heard by the neighbor below, Mac Barnett has created a clever book, Noisy Night, with a chain of rhyming situations floor after floor until we reach the very top floor, where the noise is least appreciated. Brian Biggs provides smile-inducing pictures, each giving a hint as to the noisy neighbor on the floor above.
Becky B
Meet the people who live in a building in a city. As you meet one noisy character you get a peak of someone above them also making noise. Can you guess from the feet and the noise who is in the floor above and what they are doing?

A little bit of problem solving/mystery solving, a little bit of onomatopoeia fun, and one very busy building. The illustrations are definitely fun, and kids should love the cranky resident of the top floor.
David Freudenburg
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Includes several excellent hallmarks of a perfect story time book: big bold text in a variety of fonts, only one or two lines per page, bright and obvious illustrations with a variety of perspectives, and (most of all) a repeating question. This urban version of a string of activities goes UP, through the floors of a tall apartment building. Themes include music, bedtime, and life in the city.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Hooray for Birds!
  • Touch the Brightest Star
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?
  • Go Sleep in Your Own Bed!
  • Baby Goes to Market
  • A Perfect Day
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • I Just Want to Say Good Night
  • Everybody Sleeps (But Not Fred)
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • It's Only Stanley
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • Don't Blink!
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
  • Good Night Like This
  • Everyone Is Yawning
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac Barnett now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.