Start by marking “Girl on the Moon” as Want to Read:
Girl on the Moon

Girl on the Moon

(Girl on the Moon #1)

This near-future sci-fi adventure sends humankind back to the moon, this time to make first contact with an inscrutable alien race. And when Earth’s new acquaintances become new neighbors, humanity might not be done with the moon yet — and it might not be done with Earth. Fortunately for humankind, it has Conn Garrow.

They said Conn wasn’t qualified for astronaut training.

Published February 23rd 2016 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about Girl on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl on the Moon

Start your review of Girl on the Moon
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kindle Scout Book
Pretty good, few slow spots but overall good
Different story of this alien meets human
Rtc
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Wow this book really packed a lot of material into it's 372 pages. There were a few times I thought it must be at least 600 pages because of how much happened in it. It was a good thing though because I wasn't quite ready for it to end.
If you enjoy space exploration you should give it a try. In most books, they only make one trip into space but in this book, we got to experience- four? five? six? I lost count but it was quite a few which was fantastic since those are usually my favorite parts!
Mike
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This one doesn't quite make it to four stars, despite generally good writing and a protagonist I liked and wanted to succeed. The primary reason is that it spends so much of its time in "tell" mode.

There are a lot of events compressed into a relatively short period, and not all of them are necessarily as interesting to watch as they are plot-significant. I get that. But there are several ways to convey this kind of information in a book. You can go the epistolary route, and create "documents"
Sofia The Great
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4 Platypires for Girl On The Moon by Jack McDonald Burnett

I nominated this book from Kindle Scout on Amazon and I was pretty happy that it got selected. This is the second book I've read from that program and have been pleasantly surprised how much I liked them.
The cover and the synopsis is was intrigued to actually getting around to reading this book. I think I'm becoming a fan of space exploration books about first contact with another alien race and this book hit the mark.
This book
Aiyana PZ
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This didn’t feel “science fictiony” despite the space travel, aliens, and technology. It did feel much more like what might actually happen upon meeting aliens for the first time. Personally, I’m a bit sick of the strong girl who’s going to save the world but has some sort of mental and/or addiction disability she has to overcome to do it. Though this did play a role, and I squirmed when it first appeared on the page, I don’t think it was overdone. I’m not sure I will read the next one, but I ...more
Pat Cummings
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Comparison of Burnett's Girl on the Moon with Andy Weir's The Martian is inevitable, so I'll just get it out of the way at the start. Both novels open with a disaster that strands a single person on a distant globe. And both were first "independently" published, independently, that is, of any traditional publishing house.

That's it, full stop. In Girl Conn Garrow's world, the Mars trip ended in complete disaster, killing all the astronauts involved, and NASA hasn't been back. No man has set
Robert
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got my new Oasis and wanted to switch some of my reading so I wanted to go with a new Science Fiction book. I have followed Jack for a while on social media and thought this was a good chance to try out his first book.

I am very happy with it. I would venture to say that this is the best independent author's first book that I have read. I liked the overall theme of the book and the plot lines explored. This feels like classic science fiction with a good near future semi-hard science slant on
Yoly
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I saw this book on Amazon and as soon as I read the description I knew I had to read it.
This book tells the story of Constance "Conn" Garrows, a young woman whose dream has been to go to the moon since she was a little girl. After being diagnosed with bipolar disorder she abandons her dreams of going to the moon and pursues a career in aerospace engineering instead. While in school, she meets her idol, Peo Haskell, a woman astronaut, the last person who tried to land on the moon. What follows
C.M. Skiera
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, indie
Girl on the Moon by Jack McDonald Burnett With a title like Girl on the Moon, one would expect some space travel for the protagonist Conn Garrow, and the reader is not disappointed. Apart from the titular clues, this near-future sci-fi adventure is full of surprises. Jack McDonald Burnett's page-turner is a thoroughly enjoyable, imaginative, wild-ride of a story. I'm looking forward to more.
Johan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Well, it was a truly fast-paced and yet slow at the same time. It allowed for understanding and seeing what happened in the world. Conn was the epitome of the meaning behind don't stop me, I do what I want. She really gave the impression of a woman who did most of her own work and did well. The extraterrestrial beings in the book are compelling and mystifying. Trying to understand them is a hard thing

Quite an abrupt ending but it allows for sequels

Peace out
Nihal
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I believe in Alien life after reading this book

Captivating to the end. The lead character is so real and so flawled, almost makes you feel like this what you would if you were in her position. The aliens are complicated yet simple to understand and it opens up your imagination as to where we really came from and and are there beings in this universe that are smarter and more capable than us? Can't wait for a sequel if there is one.
Chris
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good story. One star subtracted because there were a few too many leaps of faith / needless fast-forward moments, IMHO. Really touched a nerve for me as a kid who once wanted to go to space.
Mark Gardner
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This review is going to seem overly critical, so I want to start by saying that I liked Girl on the Moon, by Jack McDonald Burnett. There are a lot of heated dialog on both sides of the indie versus traditional publishing argument. Kindle Press, and its slush pile, Kindle Scout, are a great hybridization of both worlds. I missed the Kindle Scout campaign for this book and would’ve readily nominated it had I seen it. I did pick up Girl on the Moon through the Prime Reading program through Amazon. ...more
Buzz Park
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and, considering it is a first novel, I am fairly impressed. A strong 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

I enjoyed the premise of an alien race coming to earth and, instead of conquering it as is the most common trope, entering into negotiations with several nations for various technology exchanges.

The Geopolitical results were interesting and I enjoyed the overall storyline. I am interested to see where the story goes and may read the sequels once published.

That being
John
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite a four star book for me. It was often bogged down in narration, delivering tedious details that didn't really impact upon the plot, nor did they add any depth to the characters or story. There was a lot going on, and I think maybe the author tried to shoehorn too many things into the storyline. This sometimes complicated things to the point where I had to reread sections in order to figure out what was going on. I'm an avid and longtime sci fi fan, but I just couldn't suspend my ...more
Charl
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: y2017
I liked it. But I didn't love it. The characters were interesting, and the aliens were good. But just too much "oh crap, okay, starting over, I'll try this instead". The story moved forward only in fits and starts, and the more different things that happened, the more irritated I got. Yet they were all plausible, so maybe irritation was the intent.

But then it ends. Without anything being resolved. Like it was a much longer book, arbitrarily split into two (or maybe more) volumes. A lot was
Althea Silver
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing Sci fi story "down to earth"

The no nonsense way the author write this story is refreshing. Sticking with the technology humans have today. Using space history and proper science was refreshing.
The twist at the end here surprised me greatly. Quite often when I read books it's easy to guess the ending and tying of the loose ends to wrap the finale up.
To sum the book up in one word.
Plausible.
I genuinely hope the author writes a continuation. Not that the story needs it, but the Sci
Alex Jackl
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun a n d interesting first contact book

This is an interesting narrative with good details, ok science, good science fiction, great characters and a good pacing. It could have been two longer books with a little more detail. I don't want to put in any spoilers but t h e second "group" I thought should have been introduced earlier and with more foreshadowing, an issue with the who l e story. All that being said I highly recommend this novel.
Melissa Haylock
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of science fiction as a rule, but this book is probably the most realistic sci-fi I've come across. It's futuristic, but only just. It's far fetched, but what I would describe as 'realistically far fetched'. This is just how you can imagine the first alien contact happening and how humans react to it. Conn is a flawed heroine, which makes her believable.
Adrian
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Pro neuro-diversity.

As I read I kept hoping that Conn’s atypical brain would prove to be an asset, not the liability that she and others believed. This was accomplished in ways that were thought provoking instead of preachy. I want to thank the author for writing this book. Great story!
Joseph Meyerson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best two sets of aliens in a near future setting world I've read recently

Well, good world creation and a few flights of fancy go along with a but of suspension of belief to make this happen. Maybe a few more fully fleshed out characters with motivation for some reasonable alternative actions here or there would help.
Bobby
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Just Ok

Took a long time to read, never mesmerized by it but interesting enough to keep coming back . The story as a whole is good but really dragged out in sections. Concept? Good. Writing? Above average. Editing? Poor. Superfluous information at times that slowed the pace when it actually needed to ramp up.
Rebecca
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
I liked the story. The concept of the aliens was well-developed. There were parts that flowed nicely and kept my interest, but there were also a lot of places that read more like a documentary than a novel. This made it difficult to get a good feel for the characters. However, if you want to learn a lot about how astronauts train, then the first third of the book will interest you.
Claudia Jackson
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An interesting storyline...

An enjoyable journey...! I'm too easily distracted by typo-errors, but there weren't too many, and I actually got to enjoy the trip, without major distractions and delays...! I'll be buying the next book in the series, and that doesn't happen very often...!
George Beaty
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected

The title caught my attention so I decided to read the sample. Normally I can tell within a few paragraphs if something is going to be interesting enough to continue. I can only speak to my own preferences but I think this was very well written and original. I loved it from beginning to end.
Kimberly Gawne
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intellugent

This work was well researched and I found myself learning new things. An author can always feel me in by presenting interesting information. We're you involved in the space program? Good job!
Lynn
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad read at all but suffered from some Dan Brownism writing style - even down to the end of chapter shocker sentences and simplistic reporting. Aliens on the moon and global politics along with a driven heroine.
Amber Lambert
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story

Why five stars, five stars because this book told to telling story complete with ups, Downs challenges, failures and successes. I highly recommend that you read it and I hope to see the story continue.
shannon  Stubbs
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

I enjoyed this story. It was different because the main character wasn't perfect. The bad guys may or may not have been bad guys. It was a good story of a girl, in the not so distant future, going to the moon and beyond.
David Dixon
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent old school read.

An extremely well written and paved adventure. It reminds me of Heinlein and Varley; higher praise I can't give. If that type of story is your cup of tea, this is well worth your time. I was highly entertained. Highly recommended.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Number of pages and publication date 2 16 Feb 09, 2016 04:06AM

• Losing Mars
  • Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1)
  • Whammo Ranch (Bob and Nikki, #2)
  • Shady Oaks (Bob and Nikki, #3)
  • Starfoot (Bob and Nikki, #4)
  • Charlie's Planet (Bob and Nikki Book 5)
  • The Titan Probe: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 2)
  • The Last Dance
  • Enceladus
  • Skywave (The Rorschach Explorer Missions, #1)
  • Mars Nation 1: Hard Science Fiction (Mars Trilogy)
  • 3zekiel
  • The Return
  • The Io Encounter: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 3)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx Book 1)
  • Starplex
  • A Fine and Dangerous Season
  • Ice Fall
Jack McDonald Burnett is an attorney living in the Atlanta metro area. His short fiction is available at his website, scifijack.com. His nonfiction work has been published in a range of venues, from Economic Opportunity Report to American Builders Quarterly to Puck Daddy. His novels Girl on the Moon, Pauper, and Girl on Mars are available in the Kindle Store.

Girl on the Moon (3 books)
  • Lost Moon: A Girl on the Moon Story
  • Girl on Mars (Girl on the Moon Book 2)
“Nothing is more symptomatic of the enervation, of the decompression of the Western imagination, than our incapacity to respond to the landings on the Moon. Not a single great poem, picture, metaphor has come of this breathtaking act, of Prometheus’ rescue of Icarus or of Phaeton in flight towards the stars.” —George Steiner,” 0 likes