Start by marking “Hotel Bruce” as Want to Read:
Hotel Bruce

Hotel Bruce

(Bruce #2)

When Bruce gets home from a southern migration trip with his goslings, he is tired. He is grumpy. And he is definitely not in the mood to share his home with the trio of mice who have turned his den into a hotel.

There's a possum pillow fight wreaking havoc in one room, a fox luring guests into a stew in the kitchen, and a snuggly crew of critters hogging the be
Published October 18th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

Jane
In case you missed the first book, Bruce the bear has grudgingly become mom to four geese. Each winter he travels south with them (even though he'd rather be hibernating). In Hotel Bruce, Bruce and his geese children have returned home in the spring only to discover that some mice have turned his house into a hotel.

Now it's entirely possible that some recent personal experiences have prejudiced me against the idea that mice taking over one's home is a cute idea (it's so totally not!)
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Every year Bruce travels south with his goslings on their migration to Miami. It is a tiring trip making him grumpy and longing for the peace and quiet of home. Instead he finds his den turned into a forest hotel run by a trio of mice. He suffers possum pillow fights, a fox trying to eat their guests and a moose hogging his bed until a bus full of new guests are too much!

I really enjoyed Mother Bruce and the cute concept. The art was just as good this
Book Riot Community
Bruce the Bear is back from his southern migration with his geese friends and ready to relax – but while he was away, three mice have turned his den into a hotel! What will Bruce do???? This is another delightfully charming installment in the Bruce series, and like the first book, full of great stuff for kids and grownups.

Backlist bump: Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The Books: http://bookriot.com/listen/shows/allt...
Anmiryam
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I read this at work a month or so ago, but since I just ordered it today, I'm finally coming forward to say: if you love Mother Bruce you'll love this. Maybe not with the same intensity, but it's still wonderful. One of the great joys of these books is that they are will tickle both kids and parents, who will be able to tolerate reading these again and again.
Rebekah
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, children-s
I LOVED the first book Mother Bruce and hoped for such awesomeness with the second. It was cute but not as cute as the first. It just lacked....something! Still look forward to more!
Jessica
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
Poor Bruce! As if the grumpy bear wasn't burdened enough by having his goslings to raise, now his home has become a hotel!

I love how this book has jokes for kids and adults, but not naughty ones. Just a sort of wry, dry humor that appeals to older readers, while the kids are entertained by the basics of the story and the wonderful pictures. Really, the illustrations are like nothing else around right now, with rich colors and a sort of rough yet detailed look.
La Coccinelle
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Our library only had books #1 and #3 in e-book format, and I already read those, so I'm going back and trying to read the ones I missed in hardcover.

This is the second book in Bruce's series. It doesn't really stand on its own. I mean, I guess it can, but it's a lot more fun when you've read the first book and you understand the relationship between Bruce and his goslings. In this installment, he's just come back from taking the kids south (on a bus!) and returns to find that three e
Grace
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grace liked this, her favorite character is the bear (Bruce) because he says “ROOOOOAAAAAARRR!
Abigail
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mother Bruce Fans
Shelves: picture-books, mice
The ursine hero of Mother Bruce returns in this second humorous picture-book from Ryan T. Higgins, coming home from his winter in Florida with the goslings to discover that some enterprising mice have moved into his home in the meantime, and turned it into a hotel. After a night and day of ceaseless annoyance - a variety of noisy creatures sharing his bed, a fox and turtles disrupting his kitchen - Bruce finally reaches the end of his patience, kicking everyone but the goslings out. But will he sti ...more
Steve Holden
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story of our favorite grumpy bear named Bruce continues as he returns from his southward migration to discover his home has been turned into a hotel by mice. Poor Bruce! Ryan Higgins is able to follow-up a fantastic story in Mother Bruce with another likeable, humorous journey with Bruce and his goslings. I don't know if I laughed aloud as much in this one, but I was still charmed and picture many kids loving the addition to the series.
Jen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. I just don’t find it funny? I like the artwork, but feel sorry for Bruce.
Cheryl
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is it fashionable to have a grumpy adult in picture-books these days? I seem to have been reading a lot of them lately. But maybe I'm just lucky to find them all, because it is a theme I'm particularly interested in, as I'm getting crotchety myself.

In any case, thank you, Ryan, for writing this sequel to your wonderful Mother Bruce.

I love the details in the illustrations, especially things like how the geese fell asleep on the bus coming home in the spring, though it was
Melanie
The story of grumpy Bruce Bear continues. Readers find Bruce bringing the Goslings back to the forest from having a fun-filled summer in Miami. But in their absence, their house has been taken over by mice that have turned it into a hotel! Bruce tries to go to bed only to find a moose, raccoon, porcupine, rabbit and various birds in his bed. In the morning he demands to see hotel management; the mice present themselves in ties. Bruce has had enough and begins to roar. The goslings translate for ...more
Meg
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I didn't get nearly the kick out of this that I did from the first "Bruce" book, but the illustrations were charming and I always enjoy a picture book featuring a grumpy protagonist.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on Lazy Day Literature

The Bruce series is quickly becoming one of our favorites. We keep rereading them over and over. Grumpy Bruce, the goslings, and the array of silly woodland creatures make us laugh as well as groan along with Bruce.

As we learned in Mother Bruce, Bruce must migrate to Miami with his goslings every winter instead of hibernating at home like he wants, so when he returns to his home being overrun by woodland creatures, he is pretty mad about it. It seems tha
Dolly
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With hilarious expressions and adorable illustrations, this book is sure to entertain parents and children alike. This is the second book in the Bruce series and continues where the first book left off.

I love the images of the bear interacting with the many different kinds of animals and the expressions are just fabulous. The scene showing a fox trying to convince half a dozen turtles to get into the soup pot because "It's a bath! These veggies and spices are good for your shells!" (p. 21) is hilarious.

The
Lucia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bruce the Black Bear with the adopted geese-children goes on vacation, only to return to a hotel run by mice. I love the mice, but Bruce makes me happy. What a grumpy, growling source of wonderfulness.
Sheila
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bruce and the goslings come home from the south but find their home turned into a hotel. Bruce takes it as long as he can then he has enough.

What a guest list! Bruce tries for the goslings' sake but enough is enough and we find out what a softie Bruce is. I loved the illustrations. I laughed out loud again. Just delightful!
Joshua
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice follow up. Great to see grumpy ol' Bruce again, making it all work for his nontraditional family, and carrying on in the face of life's many, many annoyances. Featuring special guest appearances from the Be Quiet mice.
Kris Dersch
Meh. It's no Mother Bruce.
Ann
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That eyebrow! The bellboy made me laugh!
Kristin Nelson
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor Bruce! Again, I'm giggling.
Tim Johnson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bruce comes back from Florida only to find that his cave has been turned into a hotel by three mice. His kids betray him and go to work for the mice as bell hops.
Josh
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Funny. Great illustrations. Fun to read.
Maxwell Rae
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Now we know where the mice come from. Makes more sense when these books are read in order of publication.
Peace_Love_Reading
They need to make a ton more of these !!!! Myself and my kids absolutely love Bruce !!!
Colona Public Library
I love Bruce books. This wasn't as good as the first one, seemed like it was missing something. It was still good though. I like the illustrations. Lots of details and colorful. Still would recommend it. Funny.

~April
Jessica
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bear is back, and he can't get rid of even more animals, lol.
Maggie Ollmann
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
I thought was a cute book and a good kids who are learning to read. When I read this book to my sister, Nora, she enjoyed the book. She had fun reading it with me. Nora thought Bruce was funny. She would like to read this book again, with me.

Plot
This book started when Bruce migrated with some geese he used to live with. When he went back to is home in the forest he found that some mice had turned his home into a hotel. Bruce got irritated after one night of hi
Sara
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So stinkin cute!! Love this grumpy bear and the geese are funny. Great series!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add my existing book to my author profile 2 18 Mar 07, 2016 07:47AM

• Poor Little Guy
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • A Perfect Day
  • Bernice Gets Carried Away
  • Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
  • A Well-Mannered Young Wolf
  • Duck on a Tractor
  • Monty's Magnificent Mane
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • There's a Giraffe in My Soup
  • More Bears!
  • Night Animals
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)

Bruce (5 books)
  • Mother Bruce
  • Bruce's Big Move
  • Santa Bruce (A Mother Bruce book)
  • Bruce's Big Storm