Start by marking “Maps of the Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai” as Want to Read:
Maps of the Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai

Maps of the Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai

The maps of the Disney Parks are more than just atlases used by guests to find their way to Big Thunder Mountain. They are snapshots of a place and time, relics treasured by collectors, and gorgeous pieces of artwork. In fact, it was a map-drawn by Herb Ryman and imagined by Walt-that was used to sell the idea for Disneyland to investors. This book will include maps of the ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about Maps of the Disney Parks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maps of the Disney Parks

Megan Fitzwilliam
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disney
Interesting book but it was not what I was expecting. When I first heard that there would be a book about Disney Park maps, I was thinking it was going to showcase the guide maps and all of the different "editions" of them that were used throughout the years from all of the parks.

What's actually in the book is mostly concept art and fun/souvenir maps, which I didn't know was even a thing at the parks (shame on me?). And some of the maps that they do show you are really small. For some of these
Dana Cordelia
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a Christmas gift, and I was really excited to read it. I was not disappointed. It's a gorgeous collection of maps and memorabilia of the Disney Parks (three of which I've visited). I recognized the Fun Maps of Disneyland - I had one hanging on my bedroom wall as a little kid. For fans of the Disney Parks (and fans of gorgeous hand-drawn maps), I cannot recommend this book enough.
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Exactly what you would think it would be, but not so transcendental as to earn 5 stars. Lovely large reproductions of maps over the years, plus map-like drawn aerial views, plus prop maps used in attractions. For me, the balance of verbiage to image was too slight--I'd love to have commentary pointing out the idiosyncrasies of the maps, or noticing changes over the years, etc., but instead it was an overview of the decade on one page, followed by a series of pictures without commentary.
Blythe Penland
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a wonderful commemoration to maps of the Disney Parks throughout the world. Filled to the brim with detailed illustrations, I found myself enthralled to turn the pages. I was awed by some of the maps, and seeing the concept art for places that were a huge part of my childhood. Learning about each decade of Disney was truly fascinating. This book is a must-have for Disney fans, and I definitely recommend it.
Meg
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a little different than I expected and at times the narrative is a bit heavy handed.
Otherwise, I really enjoyed seeing the layouts and maps of different parks around the world. I just wished there was more variety of maps. For instance, there are multiple parks and hotels at Disney World and it would have been great to explore those more instead of multiple pages of the same part of one park.
Liz
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The wide variety of maps here illustrates the detail and thought that create Disney parks-from Disneyland to Tokyo DisneySea (which was one of my favorite sections). A wonderful addition to any fan's collection.
Adrienne Organa
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun, charming little read! A great coffee table book for the Disney Parks obsessed! The collection of maps is beautiful and it's so much fun to see the development of the parks world wide. 10/10 recommend.
Theresa
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book for Disney fans. I love pictures, and this book compiled all of the maps of my favorite things into one place. It was awesome. I absolutely love it and I never get tired of looking at it.
Brian
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a nicely presented book that doesn’t have a lot of information. The book shows various maps of Disney parks over the years. The book has some odd focuses such as several pages of Tom Sawyer island artwork yet little to no Animal Kingdom.
Glenn Welch
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was expecting it to be better than it is. It's good, but it's not as good as "Poster Art of the Disney Parks." I thought the book would showcase more of the changes that happened in the parks by showing the differences in the guidemaps. This focuses more on the concept art maps, as well as the souvenir maps. These are beautiful, of course. It just doesn't tell a story I was expecting it to tell.
Diego
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
So great to see that not only did we have the final maps, but also te concept maps!!!!! I would’ve liked some more information on how the maps were made, but I still really enojoyed the book!!!!!
Logan Brown
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The maps were incredible! The writing felt like an afterthought, though, and I’d have preferred for the formatting to have organized by park rather than chronological across all of the parks.
George Taylor
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nothing short of wonderful. Could have had more maps, but the artwork was gorgeous.
Paul
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even before there was a Disneyland, there was a map showing what people could expect to find there. Ever since, there have been many types of maps associated with the parks, from the free guide maps handed to guests to large "fun maps" and concept art. Daniel Hadke and Vanessa Hunt take the reader on a tour of 60-plus years of maps created for all of the Disney parks, giving readers an appreciation for the work and detail that go into Disney park cartography.

I love the parks, I love maps, and I
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essential, gift
Neary, Kevin and Susan MAPS of the Disney Parks, 141 pages. Disney Editions, 2016. $40. Content: G.

If you love Disney then this book will make you drool! I know I got a severe case of Disney fever after gazing longingly upon the beautiful array of maps, past and present, of all of the Disney parks around the world. The center bifurcated cover is cool for coffee table home use, but makes it a difficult book for a library – these kinds of covers do not stand up well to use. But it is such an aweso
Richard Keller
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a slick book. The cover is amazing and opens into a beautiful multi-page spread of a Disneyland map. The interior is beautifully designed with many color pictures of old maps of the first Disney park in California, Disney World, and the many other parks which were begat from Walt Disney's imagination.

I just wish there was more to it. Many of the earlier maps of Disneyland were so tiny it was hard to make out the details. Yes, the later maps were much clearer; however, many people still
Craig Yoshihara
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disney
What’s the first thing you do when you walk into a Disney theme park? Why get a map of course! Right when you walk through the turnstiles, there in front of you is both a map and a show guide for the day’s events. Maps have always been a fun, easy way to identify where you are and where you want to go and if you’ve been to a Disney theme park over the years, you know they change quite rapidly. Now, there is a book that collects the history of Disney maps all in one place and quite appropriately ...more
Meredith
Just finished this awesome Disney book! If you're the kind of person that takes at least five Disney park map brochures from each park because when you get home to scrapbook your trip you have enough of the souvenir map to show the front and the back, this book is for you! Maps of the Disney Parks gives you the very first concept maps of Disneyland to opening day's final version to 2016's maps of all the parks from around the world. Walt lived showing maps to share his vision of his World and th ...more
Amy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
5 stars for the maps and art (although it would have been fun to see a few more reproductions of maps from the '80s and '90s).

1 star for the text. Holy moly, it is bad. In addition to being a not-very-engaging retread of information that anyone who is a big enough Disney Parks nerd to buy this book probably already knows, it is full of horrible grammar and stupid errors like "business tenants" instead of "business tenets." Maybe they were assuming that most people would just look at the pictures
Nathalie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disney
This book offers a great insight of the famous Maps of all Disneylands that exist over the world. Besides Maps from different times starting with the 50s, it also offers some pieces of concept art of some of the theme parks and how they were supposed to look like. If you love Disney Parks and you're also fascinated by their Maps and much more, then you won't be disappointed! (At least I wasn't because I just expected Maps through the years, but not this insight in some of the concept stages!)
Sandra
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is a fun book to browse through. Not exactly what I was expecting. Was hoping to see all of the park maps from 1955 through now of all the parks. Still fun to look at the changes that happened the over the years.
Laura Schrillo
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. The art is just fantastic. It is neat to see maps of the park how I remember it. I also love to see the parks around the world I would love to visit someday.
Yvan