Start by marking “Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain” as Want to Read:
Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain

Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain

(Mockingbird (2016) #1)

Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Bobbi Morse, the former Avenger known as Mockingbird, goes solo in her own incredible adventures! With a scientific mind and a lethal mastery of martial arts, she's one of the most versatile, in-demand assets at Maria Hill's disposal - that makes her ideal for investigating strange goings-on in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s own medical and recovery network. And when ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Marvel (first published October 19th 2016)

Start your review of Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain
Anne
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
According to the author, the neat-o thing with this comic is that you read the 1st issue (which, while fun, makes not a whole lot of sense), then read the next 3 issues, then go back and read the first issue - because now you'll get the inside jokes - then read issue #5 for the grande finale!
So, of course, that's what I did.
description
Ok, so the 1st issue is a bit of nothing in particular, but it has a silly sort of goodness to it. Bobbi is basically showing up for doctor's appointments at a S.H.I.E.L.D.
Jeff
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Barbara Bobbi Morse, aka Mockingbird, got dead.

Nick Fury injected her with some juiced stuff, aka some Infinity Formula and Super-Soldier Serum, that he found in the back of the SHIELD breakroom fridge behind a carton of old Shrimp Egg Fu Yung, and now Mockingbird is all better.

Except for some quick to temper moments.

SHIELD is on top of it with weekly exams

and nothing escapes the crack SHIELD medical team.

So, no worries.

Kinda

From here, Mockingbird gets to rescue the trussed up, semi-dimwitted
Dan Schwent
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
Bobbi Morse, aka Mockingbird, is a SHIELD agent. Part of her SHIELD insurance dictates that she go to the health clinic every week. So what's with the new super powers she's been exhibiting? And the zombies? And the Corgi?

After her appearances in The Unstoppable Wasp, I needed more Mockingbird. Once again, my Marvel Unlimited subscription was justified.

Mockingbird is a fun comic, the story told in an interesting way. The first issue details her various visits to the SHIELD health clinic. The
Sam Quixote
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Mock - yeah! Ing - yeah! Bird - yeah! YEAH! - yeah...

Bobbi Morse is Mockingbird, an Agent of SHIELD Barbie doll who does superhero stuff while having perfect hair. Honestly, I dont know who this character is. I dont read the SHIELD comic, I dont watch the Agents of SHIELD TV show, maybe shes in one of those, whatever. I has likes and dislikes about her character from what Ive read in Chelsea Cains pretty decent comic but I wouldve liked a primer on Bobbi for readers like me who know nothing
David Schaafsma
Bobbi Morse is a comic about the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. character by Chelsea Cain and Kate Niemczyk, four issues, with the inclusion of the 50th Anniversary comic event by Cain and Joelle Jones. I read it because I am apparently attempting this summer to drown myself in strong girl/women comics, and it appears I might just be able to do it, theres so much out there (though then Mockingbird would just save me from drowning).

We get little background on Mockingbird in this comic, so I imagine the
Chad
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun. Mockingbird is filled with a sharp wit, martial arts skills, ...and psychic powers? Told in what the author calls a puzzle box format. The first issue is told over the course of the month while the next 3 issues are single issues which fill in the gaps. Followed by the last issue which wraps everything up. The series brings some of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show into the mix by bringing in Lance Hunter as a love interest. The art in the book is quite good.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Chelsea Cain told her first Mockingbird story in a refreshing way that I've not seen done before in superhero comicbooks (and, over the last forty years, I've read a LOT of superhero comics).

The book has a nice mix of action and humour and, best of all, I think it's one that will really reward multiple re-reads. I'm looking forward to volume two.
James DeSantis
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow another surprise. I guess maybe I should check out more books I had no interest in for marvel vs the big names.

So after enjoying Gwenpool I decided to try this one out. I really really had fun with this one once more. The negatives let's get out the way first. I didn't love the last issue. I felt it wrapped up to quickly. I also didn't love the plotline, I felt it was jumbled (on purpose but still) and didn't have a satisfying ending. I just didn't like Issue 5 too much.

Now issue 1-4?
Jeannette Nikolova
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondousBooks blog.

Do you know what the best thing about Mockingbird is? It's just awesome. That's it. Literally.

I feel like this series is entirely too underrated. I know that it has been gaining popularity. But still, by no means is Mockingbird one of the characters that you would think of if someone put the words "badass, "female", "Marvel", and "character" together in a sentence. And that would be sad.

Bobbi is, quite simply put, a hero that I would aspire to be like.
Artemy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like Bobbi Morse on Agents of SHIELD, but I've never seen her in comics, so when this series was announced, I was interested. I didn't expect much, though, and boy, was I wrong!
Chelsea Cain's Mockingbird is great. It's kinda like Fraction's Hawkeye and Kot's Secret Avengers, with much more Girl Power (literally!) and a great concept to go with the series. It is described as "puzzle box", which means you can read each issue individually, as a stand-alone, in any order (I would recommend
Jasmine
Hilarious, with lovely art that's full of fun easter eggs. And technically just brilliant. You can read the five issues in any order, and they'll tell the same story, but with different parts illuminated.

I'm reduced to frantic jazz hands about how good this is. IT'S REALLY GOOD.

"Don't you want to be cured?"
"I'm not sick."
Gary Butler
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
19th book read in 2018.

Number 81 out of 679 on my all time book list.

Very good; surprisingly funny.
Wing Kee
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Convoluted for convoluted's sake.

World: The art is solid, it's full of character and that's what I like in the art. The sense of motion could be a bit better. The world building is pretty solid, I know next to nothing about her and S.H.I.E.L.D. and the world building taught me. No info dumps just very nonchalant and I like that.

Story: On paper the story us interesting cause it not only introduced an interesting concept for a villain and the message Bobbi was trying to express in her narrative
Travis Duke
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid start to the sassy Mockingbird series. Bobbi Morse has the super-soldier serum and the infinity formula making her a serious badass, she works with S.H.I.E.L.D but they are not featured very much in this book and I was kind of glad. This was my first intro in Mockingbird and it reminded me a lot of the newer Kate Bishop series, I think it was written around the same time. The story follows Bobbi as she is getting constantly evaluated by SHIELD for her powers because she is a bit unstable ...more
RG
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A weird one to review. The first issue was just a series of visits to the doctor. The next 3 issues were missions she went one, the one underwster with Hawkeye was the best and really was the star of the show. The final issue was a mess but I did enjoy it overall. Dont expect a linear story, and Cain does explain this after issue one. Cool art, some solid humor and ok story telling.
Jesse A
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really fun. Pleasantly surprised.
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this graphic novel and then art style.
Mike
This book kicked up all sorts of internet snot when it started rolling out, being all "guys aren't the overlords of every story" and "chicks can do cool shit too". Which often makes me want to rage-read something like this just to make sure rub it in the internet's face, and "I'll show them". And it pays off most of the time, because whenever the red-pill brigade gets their tighty-whiteys in a knot, there's sure to be something a little close to home that actually touches one of their last ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]

This is a very clever book. I haven't had a chance to sit and re-read it again, but it begs to be re-read. The first five issues of the ongoing series collected here (alongside the 50th Anniversary special) are designed to be read in different orders, and you unlock more of the story each time as you notice more subtle things that only make sense in hindsight. It's literally a puzzlebox of comics, and that is amazing.

Bobbi contracts a mysterious illness, and must find out
Becky
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This book is SO cool! The author refers to it as a "puzzle box" comic, where you can read the five issues in any order, they all inform each other, and the more you read them, the more you see. It's very cool, and very well-written. I ADORE Bobbi's voice in this book! Plus, there's so much science as Bobbi makes good use of her phd, and she's wonderfully sarcastic while she does it.
"What's that smell?"
"My dripping disdain."
It's so fun! So good!!
Sesana
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Fantastic. A great blend of action and humor.
Yerasly
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
**3.5

Once again! Did not expect to like this as much as I did. Might check out the second volume, still not sure.
Cora Tea Party Princess

Review to come.

But it's safe to say I have a new comic crush.
Nadja
Bobbi is a kickass smart and brilliant character and the artwork is fantastic! The story arc was a bit confusing at times but I can't wait to read the next installment.
Bogi Takács
Update: I posted my review, with a delay.

I am leaving my previous comments here, too:

The story really did not work for me (I thought the art was cool), but I do not want to come across as one of the huge "anti-feminist" crowd who harassed the author or even to give the slightest impression of adding to the pile. I think harassing people is very wrong and no one should be subjected to that. So I wrote something to vent my personal frustration with the
Max
Great! Fun, lighthearted, and twisty. I wish the arc plot was a little more personal, but each issue has a good solid human hook. Niemczyck's art is really top-notchit's traditional comics art, no enormous stylistic innovation, plenty of sex appeal, with the key factor that the men and women are both beautiful (vs say, the usual comics stereotype art in which the two genders are "male sex fantasy" and "male power fantasy"); Mockingbird, Lance Hunter, Hawkeye, etc. are all adults having fun and ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The ass-kicking, wise-cracking genius scientist you deserve. Liked this too much to be objective, so I'll leave it at that.
Althea J.
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like 4 1/2 stars --- this was a FUN read!
Looking forward to the next trade.
Alison
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
This was sooooo good and I was really sad to find out it was cancelled after 8 issues, because Mockingbird is my new favorite of all time. She is so smart and sassy and so unapologetically herself. She's a feminist and independent and I just loved it so much and know that I would have loved to read about her over and over and over again.
It was a little hard to follow because it jumps around, but the creator has a note in the back explaining that, and it was still such a unique story.
Artemis
"How can we have a meaningful dialogue with adolescent girls when we live in a culture that still can't talk about tampons?"

'Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain' is one of the most intellectually challenging superhero comic books I've ever read, starring an incredibly intelligent female lead.

I knew nothing about the Marvel character Mockingbird before purchasing and reading her first solo volume. After reading it, and studying it some more, I have come to the conclusion that Barbara "Bobbi"
Madison Mega-Mara...: #20 Mockingbird v1 by Chelsea Cain 1 2 May 27, 2017 11:15AM
entreteinin 1 4 Nov 04, 2016 07:24AM

• Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Black Widow, Volume 3: Last Days
  • Spider-Woman: Shifting Gears, Volume 1: Baby Talk
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 2: Civil War II
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Scarlet Witch, Vol. 1: Witches' Road
  • A-Force, Volume 1: Hypertime
  • Black Widow, Volume 1: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Most Wanted
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked on a Feline
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: No More Secrets
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 2: Don't Stop Me-Ow
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.
  • Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming
  • New Avengers: A.I.M., Volume 1: Everything is New
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 2: Masks
  • A-Force, Volume 2: Rage Against the Dying of the Light
  • Black Canary, Volume 2: New Killer Star
  • Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 5: Lost in the Plot
Chelsea Cain is the New York Times bestselling author of the Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell thrillers Heartsick, Sweetheart, Evil at Heart, The Night Season, Kill You Twice, and Let Me Go. Her next book One Kick (August, 2014) will be the first in her Kick Lannigan thriller series. Her book Heartsick was named one of the best 100 thrillers ever written by NPR, and Heartsick and Sweetheart were ...more

Mockingbird (2016) (2 books)
  • Mockingbird, Vol. 2: My Feminist Agenda