Start by marking “Moon Knight, Volume 1: Lunatic” as Want to Read:
Moon Knight, Volume 1: Lunatic

Moon Knight, Volume 1: Lunatic (Moon Knight, Volume VI #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  888 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Marc Spector (a.k.a. Moon Knight/Jake Lockley/Steven Grant) has been fighting criminals and keeping New York City safe for years... or has he? When he wakes up in an insane asylum with no powers and a lifetime's worth of medical records, his whole identity (indentities) are called into question. Something is wrong, but is that something Marc Spector himself? Jeff Lemire (E ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Marvel (first published November 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Knight, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Knight, Volume 1

Anne
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moon gods
This really has me excited for more Moon Knight!

description

Ok, now I'm certainly no Moon Knight expert, but I have read a little about this guy before, so I do know the basic bare bones stuff about the character. Which is something I'd recommend if you're thinking of grabbing this title. I'm not saying you absolutely couldn't jump into this, but I'm guessing that it might help - especially given the nature of Mark's (aka Steven/Jake/Mr. Knight/The List Goes On...) mental issues.

description

This wasn't some sort of per
Sam Quixote
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Everyone knows Marc Spector is that crazy superhero Moon Knight – or do they? What if Moon Knight has been a delusion only existing in Marc’s troubled mind and he’s been locked up in the loony bin the entire time?

For such a little-known character, Moon Knight has had some surprisingly great books these last couple years from the likes of Warren Ellis (who kicked off the Moon Knight renaissance with a new version of the character, Mr Knight), Brian Wood and (to a lesser extent) Cullen Bunn. It’s
David Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I basically have had little interest in Marvel's answer to Batman, Moon Knight, but I did read Ellis’s run, which I liked quite a bit. This is a crazy premise that is also supposed to be the attraction to the series: a rich man in a white moon suit, supported by (?) by the Egyptian moon god Khonshu and with three/five different personalities, who comes to Gotham City (no, I mean New York City!) to fight crime. Uh, is this in some sense a commentary on the brooding Batman? Maybe.

I read this volum
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Well that was interesting. I'm 100% a fan of stories/scenarios where you're not entirely sure if what you're reading/seeing is real. Think Mr. Robot or Fight Club. Moon Knight did exactly that for me. I'm still not sure what's real and what isn't after reading this first volume, but that doesn't bother me. Yes, I want answers, but I'm okay with waiting for them if the story continues to be written as well as this one.

Stay tuned for a full review coming soon!
Paul
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moon Knight's back with another new creative team and I'm happy to say they've continued the great run of MK stories that began a few volumes back with Warren Ellis' run.

I absolutely loved the psychological horror feel to this book and the fact that Jeff Lemire constantly keeps you guessing as to how much of the proceedings are 'real'. This isn't a particularly original set-up but I honestly don't think I've ever seen it executed this well.

Greg Smallwood and co.'s artwork is never less than jaw-
James DeSantis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
After I finished this volume I texted my friend these exact words...

"What the fuck did I just read?"

Moon Knight has never been a character I loved. I read Ellis run, read some stuff here and there for him, never really got the appeal. However, I'm always willing to give new artist/writers a chance to bring me into the fandom. Shit, if Tom can do it with Vision anyone can.

So Lemire's Moon Knight starts off with our favorite insane person stuck in a insane asylum. This whole volume is just a gig
Logan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I said I was gonna read more Moon Knight and so I did! Moon Knight has had many creative teams over the past few years, each putting their own kind of spin on the character and we see that now with Jeff Lemire. So the story is Mark Spector wakes up as a patient at a corrupt, dodgy mental asylum, he has no memory or recollection of how he got there, he tries to escape but then realises he's trapped in something much bigger. First off Artwork is quite nice, its got this shady shadow kind of look w ...more
Quentin Wallace
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Moon Knight character, but I'm not a fan of the recent trend that seems to be how to make the character as crazy as possible.

I prefer him when he was more like Marvel's Batman, although some of the recent stories which explore his split personalities have been interesting. This one just takes it to the extreme, as we see Marc Spector in an insane asylum and we really never know whether he really is in an asylum or if he's in some other dimension fighting Egyptian Gods and m
Sierra Dean
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love love loved the Warren Ellis Moon Knight series and didn't think much else could match up to it. Brian Wood's follow up was excellent. Cullen Bunn's left me flat. So I picked up the Jeff Lemire/Greg Smallwood/Jordie Bellaire series with anxiety and optimism. And DAMN was I glad I did. the Smallwood art is wonderful, with rough charcoal-style lines and brilliant use of negative space. Bellaire brings a muted colour palette to play with great success, making pops of purple and red all the mo ...more
Eric
orphan

disorder

truth

3 3/4 stars
Robert
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Well that was some top-rate lunacy start-to-finish. Is it still possible to root for a "superhero" for whom you feel a profound existential pity? I guess that's the central issue to be explored here, and one that has me interested enough to invest time in Vol 2 soon!
Gianfranco Mancini

Gran bel primo volume della nuova serie di Moon Knight che riprende per bene tutti i personaggi e le situazioni presenti nelle vecchie storie del personaggio.
In alcuni momenti sembra quasi di leggere uno spin-off della Trilogia Nikopol di Enki Bilal...

Lettura altamente consigliata a tutti i vecchi fan del "Cavaliere Lunare" Marvel, ma puó essere anche un ottimo punto d'inizio per nuovi lettori.

Chad
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marc Spector wakes up in an insane asylum with no memories of how he got there. The doctors there tell him he's been there since he was 12 and Moon Knight is just a hallucination. But he sees others there from his life like Frenchie. So he and his friends make their escape. When he's wearing his mask he sees his captors in their "true" form of Egyptian deities. I wish there had been more of Moon Knight in his bedsheet costume. That was fantastic.

The story is really only 3 stars as it's too trip
Bobby
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For the last few years, Moon Knight has existed in his own little pocket of the Marvel Universe where he rarely crosses paths with other marvel heroes.

It's a part of the world that isn't caught up in massive world-altering events and crossovers and epic battles. Instead, is the quiet insanity that's explored here as Marc Spector has been placed away in a mental institution, presumably for his good.

This book is an existential, mind trap and no one here seems to knows what's real and what isn't.
Joni
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Primer contacto con el personaje y primer vez que leo Lemire fuera de su clásica veta de artista integral. Con más curiosidad que expectativa leí esto que me sorprendió y mucho. Moon Knight tiene su origen en el fastuoso pasado egipcio, tiempos de faraones y el culto a la muerte. Arranca encerrado en un manicomio apenas teniendo recuerdos de quien pudo haber sido resultando en tormentos y maltratos por quienes atienden el instituto. A los ojos de Marc Spector todo es una dualidad, se ve loco enc ...more
Kay
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero-comics
ART IS GORGEOUS.

Besides for the art, I have no idea what I just read. I read up on the character before I opened this, but I don't think it was enough. I don't think this is a good place/recommended story to start reading Moon Knight.
Michelle M
This was my first exposure to Moon Knight, so I was a bit lost at times. Jumping into the middle of a psychotic break is both difficult and crazily easy (haha). Definitely an intruiging story though, and the art was super effective, especially at the end.
Liz Janet
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS, POE DAMERON, MOON KNIGHT | COMIC REVIEW

This is the story of Marc Spector, who always thought himself to be Moon Knight, but he recently woke up in a psych ward, while everyone tells him his previous lives have been a dream. Which one is it?
Jeff Lemire has written a lot of good superhero comics, and a lot of other amazing comics, so when a worker at my local comic store told me Lemire will be writing a run on Moon Knight, all I had to do was pick up the first issue.
Jason
I've not been grabbed by Lemire's superhero stuff as much as his independent stuff to the point where I typically avoid it. But I've been collecting Moon Knight pretty consistently since Bendis and Maleev's run and it seems like each volume since has upped the ante. Ellis's MK was sleek and mysterious and dangerous, and now Lemire delves into Spector's mental illness like no one has before. Read this volume and you will agree he is currently the most interesting character in the MU. He's always ...more
Javier Muñoz
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde que leí mi primer cómic de este personaje allá por los 80 siempre me ha gustado mucho porque se desmarca de la corriente principal de los cómics de pijameo para introducirse en temas más peliagudos, a veces explícitamente y a veces de forma solapada, pero siempre da la sensación de estar aparte de la cosmología propia de marvel, se puede decir que es porque es un personaje menor, pero para mi es de lo mejor que ha publicado marvel en varias épocas.

Esta etapa para mi no es diferente, en los
Connie
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jumping between a 4 and a 4.5/5 for this one!

Wow. Everything about this was just so unexpected.

I feel like going into this without having read any previous Moon Knight somehow made this even more enjoyable- I quickly figured out who characters were, and the confusion I had really added to how trippy and mind-bending the plot of this was.

The art is also stunning in this, and goes so well with the plot and craziness. Some of the panels, I actually thought Marc looked a bit like Clint Barton, whi
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jeff Lemire's solo books are literally made of gold. When he tries to dabble in teams, things fall apart (although Black Hammer has been great, so maybe I'm talking rubbish). So having him take on Moon Knight, a book that really needs an innovative storytelling perspective (especially after the last volume) is a no brainer.

Marc Spector is in a mental institution. How did he get there? Why are all his friends there? What the fuck is Khonshu pulling now? All these questions and more will be sort-o
L. McCoy
My brain's reaction right after reading this is a mix of holy s***, this is amazing and WTF.

What it's about:
This book is about a guy named Marc Spector who thinks he's a vigilante known as Moon Knight. When he wakes up in a mental hospital he has to figure out if he's really Moon Knight or if he's just nuts.

Pros:
Great story with lots of unpredictable twists (of course Lemire wrote it so if you weren't expecting that, you must not be too familiar with Lemire, are somehow able to predict tricky st
Vinton Bayne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've never been so confused. I've also never been so ok with being confused. This is super intriguing. And that art!! So fitting. So good.
Marina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can I marry a drawing by Smallwood?
Garrison Kelly
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marc Specter wakes up in a corrupt mental hospital with no clue how he got there. He spent his previous life masquerading as vigilante superhero Moon Knight, but the abusive orderlies and condescending psychologist try to coerce him into believing he’s just a nut case who deserves to be locked up. With the help of several patients who believe his story, Moon Knight attempts to escape the hospital in order to complete a mission given to him by his head voices: to assassinate the Egyptian god Seth ...more
Peter Derk
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing beats the Warren Ellis book. That book MADE Moon Knight for me.

"What are you supposed to be?"
[billy club to the face]
"The one you see coming."

Classic.

I like Jeff Lemire a lot, and this book is worth your time. But holy hell do I HATE stories that deal with madness in such a way where it's impossible to tell whether the character is insane or not. Some will disagree with me on that, and that's fine, but it's a kind of story we've all read many times, and it leaves me with the same questi
Joseph
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the first issue of this and was impressed by the stunning art and colours by Smallwood and Bellaire, and put off by the mental asylum, one flew over the cuckoo's nest scenario. The idea is superb, and Lemire explores the idea with his usual engaging style that I've come to expect from him, as an avid reader of Descender most recently. However I take a particular distaste to this portrayal of the mental hospital and didn't continue reading issue by issue. Yet thankfully Lemire addresses th ...more
Shali
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, that was a trip.

I really should have started on Moon Knight: From the Dead, or... actually, that's the only other title I'm aware of. What I'm saying is, I went into Moon Knight: Lunatic without any understanding of the character or the story. And it was confusing as all hell.
I understood the gist of it, but I'm still lost.
So, word to the wise: if you are unfamiliar with Moon Knight, do not start here.

I have no understanding of Moon Knight's usual state of mind, and watching him slip th
Sam Whale
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: moon-knight
I have been a long time fan a Moon Knight and have read much of the original run as well as the entirety of the 2006 run, including it's one-shots. With that in mind I have to say this is the best Moon Knight story I have ever read. The book delves deep into Marc Spectres mind and causes both him and the reader to question what is real more than any Moon Knight comic has done before. Every second of this book is a constant head spinier and page turner but despite that the overall follow through ...more
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.
More about Jeff Lemire...

Moon Knight, Volume VI (3 books)
  • Moon Knight, Volume 2: Reincarnations