Start by marking “Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic” as Want to Read:
Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic

Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic (Moon Knight, Volume V #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,151 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Marc Spector (a.k.a. Moon Knight/Jake Lockley/Steven Grant) has been fighting criminals and keeping New York City safe for years... or has he? When he wakes up in an insane asylum with no powers and a lifetime's worth of medical records, his whole identity (indentities) are called into question. Something is wrong, but is that something Marc Spector himself? Jeff Lemire (E ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Marvel (first published November 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Knight, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Knight, Vol. 1

Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moon gods
This really has me excited for more Moon Knight!

Ok, now I'm certainly no Moon Knight expert, but I have read a little about this guy before, so I do know the basic bare bones stuff about the character. Which is something I'd recommend if you're thinking of grabbing this title. I'm not saying you absolutely couldn't jump into this, but I'm guessing that it might help - especially given the nature of Mark's (aka Steven/Jake/Mr. Knight/The List Goes On...) mental issues.

This wasn't some sort of per
Sam Quixote
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Everyone knows Marc Spector is that crazy superhero Moon Knight – or do they? What if Moon Knight has been a delusion only existing in Marc’s troubled mind and he’s been locked up in the loony bin the entire time?

For such a little-known character, Moon Knight has had some surprisingly great books these last couple years from the likes of Warren Ellis (who kicked off the Moon Knight renaissance with a new version of the character, Mr Knight), Brian Wood and (to a lesser extent) Cullen Bunn. It’s
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Central to an appreciation of the Moon Knight story is a dichotomy and / or synergy of his mental health and the blessings / curse of the Egyptian god Konshu.

Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood’s 2016 start of a new series explores these elements with style and inspired artwork.

Is Spector completely insane? Has his lifetime experiences as Moon Knight and his other alter egos been the creation of an impaired mind? Is Konshu real? And if so is he Marc’s benefactor or is Marc a tool to be used and disca
David Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I basically have had little interest in Marvel's answer to Batman, Moon Knight, but I did read Ellis’s run, which I liked quite a bit. This is a crazy premise that is also supposed to be the attraction to the series: a rich man in a white moon suit, supported by (?) by the Egyptian moon god Khonshu and with three/five different personalities, who comes to Gotham City (no, I mean New York City!) to fight crime. Uh, is this in some sense a commentary on the brooding Batman? Maybe.

I read this volum
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moon Knight's back with another new creative team and I'm happy to say they've continued the great run of MK stories that began a few volumes back with Warren Ellis' run.

I absolutely loved the psychological horror feel to this book and the fact that Jeff Lemire constantly keeps you guessing as to how much of the proceedings are 'real'. This isn't a particularly original set-up but I honestly don't think I've ever seen it executed this well.

Greg Smallwood and co.'s artwork is never less than jaw-
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Well that was interesting. I'm 100% a fan of stories/scenarios where you're not entirely sure if what you're reading/seeing is real. Think Mr. Robot or Fight Club. Moon Knight did exactly that for me. I'm still not sure what's real and what isn't after reading this first volume, but that doesn't bother me. Yes, I want answers, but I'm okay with waiting for them if the story continues to be written as well as this one.

Stay tuned for a full review coming soon!
James DeSantis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
After I finished this volume I texted my friend these exact words...

"What the fuck did I just read?"

Moon Knight has never been a character I loved. I read Ellis run, read some stuff here and there for him, never really got the appeal. However, I'm always willing to give new artist/writers a chance to bring me into the fandom. Shit, if Tom can do it with Vision anyone can.

So Lemire's Moon Knight starts off with our favorite insane person stuck in a insane asylum. This whole volume is just a gig
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done Marvel for letting Jeff write this.

This was excellent, and totally original.

I throughly recommend this series, but make sure you start with the Ellis run before this.
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was wacky and trippy. Marc if thats his name wakes up in a mental hospital. He believes he's working for some type od Egyptian god. He sees things in a differnt light when the Moon Knight mask goes on. Cool story which has this eeery trippy vibe. Ghe artwork is great and compliments the story's weirdness. Lemire is becoming one of my faves.
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I said I was gonna read more Moon Knight and so I did! Moon Knight has had many creative teams over the past few years, each putting their own kind of spin on the character and we see that now with Jeff Lemire. So the story is Mark Spector wakes up as a patient at a corrupt, dodgy mental asylum, he has no memory or recollection of how he got there, he tries to escape but then realises he's trapped in something much bigger. First off Artwork is quite nice, its got this shady shadow kind of look w ...more
Quentin Wallace
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Moon Knight character, but I'm not a fan of the recent trend that seems to be how to make the character as crazy as possible.

I prefer him when he was more like Marvel's Batman, although some of the recent stories which explore his split personalities have been interesting. This one just takes it to the extreme, as we see Marc Spector in an insane asylum and we really never know whether he really is in an asylum or if he's in some other dimension fighting Egyptian Gods and m
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Well that was some top-rate lunacy start-to-finish. Is it still possible to root for a "superhero" for whom you feel a profound existential pity? I guess that's the central issue to be explored here, and one that has me interested enough to invest time in Vol 2 soon!
Sierra Dean
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love love loved the Warren Ellis Moon Knight series and didn't think much else could match up to it. Brian Wood's follow up was excellent. Cullen Bunn's left me flat. So I picked up the Jeff Lemire/Greg Smallwood/Jordie Bellaire series with anxiety and optimism. And DAMN was I glad I did. the Smallwood art is wonderful, with rough charcoal-style lines and brilliant use of negative space. Bellaire brings a muted colour palette to play with great success, making pops of purple and red all the mo ...more

3 3/4 stars
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jeff Lemire's solo books are literally made of gold. When he tries to dabble in teams, things fall apart (although Black Hammer has been great, so maybe I'm talking rubbish). So having him take on Moon Knight, a book that really needs an innovative storytelling perspective (especially after the last volume) is a no brainer.

Marc Spector is in a mental institution. How did he get there? Why are all his friends there? What the fuck is Khonshu pulling now? All these questions and more will be sort-o
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, moon-knight

Marc Spector wakes up in a creepy asylum where it seems he was locked up for the last 20 years or so. His psychiatrist is formal: his delusions of being Moon Knight started when he was a teenager and only went worse over the years. Now she'll have to increase the dose of his medication...

Though a minor character Moon Knight is surprisingly good these days. Last volume (vol. 7 already) lasted only 17 issues but these were more than ok with good plot and art. It seems that vol. 8 is on the sam
Gianfranco Mancini

Gran bel primo volume della nuova serie di Moon Knight che riprende per bene tutti i personaggi e le situazioni presenti nelle vecchie storie del personaggio.
In alcuni momenti sembra quasi di leggere uno spin-off della Trilogia Nikopol di Enki Bilal...

Lettura altamente consigliata a tutti i vecchi fan del "Cavaliere Lunare" Marvel, ma puó essere anche un ottimo punto d'inizio per nuovi lettori.

Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marc Spector wakes up in an insane asylum with no memories of how he got there. The doctors there tell him he's been there since he was 12 and Moon Knight is just a hallucination. But he sees others there from his life like Frenchie. So he and his friends make their escape. When he's wearing his mask he sees his captors in their "true" form of Egyptian deities. I wish there had been more of Moon Knight in his bedsheet costume. That was fantastic.

The story is really only 3 stars as it's too trip
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For the last few years, Moon Knight has existed in his own little pocket of the Marvel Universe where he rarely crosses paths with other marvel heroes.

It's a part of the world that isn't caught up in massive world-altering events and crossovers and epic battles. Instead, is the quiet insanity that's explored here as Marc Spector has been placed away in a mental institution, presumably for his good.

This book is an existential, mind trap and no one here seems to knows what's real and what isn't.
Denver Public Library
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, mikel
Moon Knight, let’s be honest, looks like an embarrassing Marvel-brand ripoff of the Bat. Rich guy, knows karate, themed throwing weapons (crescent moon throwing darts), themed vehicles (moon-copter?), and bent on his own brand of nocturnal vigilante justice. The zinger is that Moon Knight wears white to the Bat’s black and/or blue, ‘cause he likes his enemies to see him coming. And while I want to eyeroll at this detail, I got to admit that this is pretty badass. Plus Marc Spector is certifiably ...more
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Primer contacto con el personaje y primer vez que leo Lemire fuera de su clásica veta de artista integral. Con más curiosidad que expectativa leí esto que me sorprendió y mucho. Moon Knight tiene su origen en el fastuoso pasado egipcio, tiempos de faraones y el culto a la muerte. Arranca encerrado en un manicomio apenas teniendo recuerdos de quien pudo haber sido resultando en tormentos y maltratos por quienes atienden el instituto. A los ojos de Marc Spector todo es una dualidad, se ve loco enc ...more
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
I've always been fond of philosophy of madness from Erasmus to Foucault. Moon Knight combines this philosophy with an intriguing story and great work of art. I wish we had a six stars option for this.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero-comics

Besides for the art, I have no idea what I just read. I read up on the character before I opened this, but I don't think it was enough. I don't think this is a good place/recommended story to start reading Moon Knight.
Michelle Morrell
This was my first exposure to Moon Knight, so I was a bit lost at times. Jumping into the middle of a psychotic break is both difficult and crazily easy (haha). Definitely an intruiging story though, and the art was super effective, especially at the end.
Travis Duke
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dang that was good, crazy story (literally) and some really really good art that doesn't really feel like a marvel book. The first few pages had me hooked as we see Moon knight in a metal ward pretty much losing his mind. The story shifts to some crazy cool Egyptian theme and I loved it even more. To top it off you are left with a good mystery story where your not sure what is happening. Lemire Delivers, like he does most of the time with a sharp story that has a awesome pace. The art from Small ...more
Liz Janet
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites

This is the story of Marc Spector, who always thought himself to be Moon Knight, but he recently woke up in a psych ward, while everyone tells him his previous lives have been a dream. Which one is it?
Jeff Lemire has written a lot of good superhero comics, and a lot of other amazing comics, so when a worker at my local comic store told me Lemire will be writing a run on Moon Knight, all I had to do was pick up the first issue.
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've not been grabbed by Lemire's superhero stuff as much as his independent stuff to the point where I typically avoid it. But I've been collecting Moon Knight pretty consistently since Bendis and Maleev's run and it seems like each volume since has upped the ante. Ellis's MK was sleek and mysterious and dangerous, and now Lemire delves into Spector's mental illness like no one has before. Read this volume and you will agree he is currently the most interesting character in the MU. He's always ...more
Javier Muñoz
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde que leí mi primer cómic de este personaje allá por los 80 siempre me ha gustado mucho porque se desmarca de la corriente principal de los cómics de pijameo para introducirse en temas más peliagudos, a veces explícitamente y a veces de forma solapada, pero siempre da la sensación de estar aparte de la cosmología propia de marvel, se puede decir que es porque es un personaje menor, pero para mi es de lo mejor que ha publicado marvel en varias épocas.

Esta etapa para mi no es diferente, en los
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jumping between a 4 and a 4.5/5 for this one!

Wow. Everything about this was just so unexpected.

I feel like going into this without having read any previous Moon Knight somehow made this even more enjoyable- I quickly figured out who characters were, and the confusion I had really added to how trippy and mind-bending the plot of this was.

The art is also stunning in this, and goes so well with the plot and craziness. Some of the panels, I actually thought Marc looked a bit like Clint Barton, whi
L. McCoy
My brain's reaction right after reading this is a mix of holy s***, this is amazing and WTF.

What it's about:
This book is about a guy named Marc Spector who thinks he's a vigilante known as Moon Knight. When he wakes up in a mental hospital he has to figure out if he's really Moon Knight or if he's just nuts.

Great story with lots of unpredictable twists (of course Lemire wrote it so if you weren't expecting that, you must not be too familiar with Lemire, are somehow able to predict tricky st
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.
More about Jeff Lemire...

Moon Knight, Volume V (3 books)
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 2: Reincarnations