Start by marking “Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic” as Want to Read:
Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic

Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic

(Moon Knight (2016) #1)

Marc Spector (a.k.a. Moon Knight/Jake Lockley/Steven Grant) has been fighting criminals and keeping New York City safe for years... or has he? When he wakes up in an insane asylum with no powers and a lifetime's worth of medical records, his whole identity (identities) are called into question. Something is wrong, but is that something Marc Spector himself? Jeff Lemire (Ex ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Marvel (first published November 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Knight, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Knight, Vol. 1

Anne
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moon gods
This really has me excited for more Moon Knight!

description

Ok, now I'm certainly no Moon Knight expert, but I have read a little about this guy before, so I do know the basic bare bones stuff about the character. Which is something I'd recommend if you're thinking of grabbing this title. I'm not saying you absolutely couldn't jump into this, but I'm guessing that it might help - especially given the nature of Mark's (aka Steven/Jake/Mr. Knight/The List Goes On...) mental issues.

description

This wasn't some sort of per
Sam Quixote
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Everyone knows Marc Spector is that crazy superhero Moon Knight – or do they? What if Moon Knight has been a delusion only existing in Marc’s troubled mind and he’s been locked up in the loony bin the entire time?

For such a little-known character, Moon Knight has had some surprisingly great books these last couple years from the likes of Warren Ellis (who kicked off the Moon Knight renaissance with a new version of the character, Mr Knight), Brian Wood and (to a lesser extent) Cullen Bunn. It’s
Scott S.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You alone must be a light against the infinite dark . . . Your madness is what will keep you alive. You need to stop fighting it. Let your insanity guide you. Let your madness show you the way." -- Khonshu

Now here's a Marvel character that's existed almost as long as I have, as he first hit the racks back in the summer of '75. I only vaguely remember his presence as a supernatural vigilante (with his own title, and sometimes allied with the Avengers) in the early and mid-80's - I was more preoc
David Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I basically have had little interest in Marvel's answer to Batman, Moon Knight, but I did read Ellis’s run, which I liked quite a bit. This is a crazy premise that is also supposed to be the attraction to the series: a rich man in a white moon suit, supported by (?) by the Egyptian moon god Khonshu and with three/five different personalities, who comes to Gotham City (no, I mean New York City!) to fight crime. Uh, is this in some sense a commentary on the brooding Batman? Maybe.

I read this volum
Lyn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Central to an appreciation of the Moon Knight story is a dichotomy and / or synergy of his mental health and the blessings / curse of the Egyptian god Konshu.

Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood’s 2016 start of a new series explores these elements with style and inspired artwork.

Is Spector completely insane? Has his lifetime experiences as Moon Knight and his other alter egos been the creation of an impaired mind? Is Konshu real? And if so is he Marc’s benefactor or is Marc a tool to be used and disca
Paul E. Morph
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moon Knight's back with another new creative team and I'm happy to say they've continued the great run of MK stories that began a few volumes back with Warren Ellis' run.

I absolutely loved the psychological horror feel to this book and the fact that Jeff Lemire constantly keeps you guessing as to how much of the proceedings are 'real'. This isn't a particularly original set-up but I honestly don't think I've ever seen it executed this well.

Greg Smallwood and co.'s artwork is never less than jaw-
Chad
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marc Spector wakes up in an insane asylum with no memories of how he got there. The doctors there tell him he's been there since he was 12 and Moon Knight is just a hallucination. But he sees others there from his life like Frenchie. So he and his friends make their escape. When he's wearing his mask he sees his captors in their "true" form of Egyptian deities. I wish there had been more of Moon Knight in his bedsheet costume. That was fantastic.

The story is really only 3 stars as it's too trip
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Well that was interesting. I'm 100% a fan of stories/scenarios where you're not entirely sure if what you're reading/seeing is real. Think Mr. Robot or Fight Club. Moon Knight did exactly that for me. I'm still not sure what's real and what isn't after reading this first volume, but that doesn't bother me. Yes, I want answers, but I'm okay with waiting for them if the story continues to be written as well as this one.

Stay tuned for a full review coming soon!
James DeSantis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
After I finished this volume I texted my friend these exact words...

"What the fuck did I just read?"

Moon Knight has never been a character I loved. I read Ellis run, read some stuff here and there for him, never really got the appeal. However, I'm always willing to give new artist/writers a chance to bring me into the fandom. Shit, if Tom can do it with Vision anyone can.

So Lemire's Moon Knight starts off with our favorite insane person stuck in a insane asylum. This whole volume is just a gig
Jan Philipzig
One of Lemire's more charming superhero efforts: lively yet devoid of fight scenes, bonkers yet all too relatable
Cheese
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done Marvel for letting Jeff write this.

This was excellent, and totally original.

I throughly recommend this series, but make sure you start with the Ellis run before this.
Roy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was wacky and trippy. Marc if thats his name wakes up in a mental hospital. He believes he's working for some type od Egyptian god. He sees things in a differnt light when the Moon Knight mask goes on. Cool story which has this eeery trippy vibe. Ghe artwork is great and compliments the story's weirdness. Lemire is becoming one of my faves.
Elizabeth A
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2018
I love comics, but am not a big fan of super hero stuff, but am a fan of Jeff Lemire, so got my hands on this three volume series and settled in for the ride.

Mark Specter wakes up in a mental institution and has amnesia. Who is he, and how did he end up in this state? The journey to the answers is an interesting ride. I really appreciated the exploration of mental illness, and since we can know what he knows it's a confusing journey with lots of strange encounters, including space werewolves. I
Logan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I said I was gonna read more Moon Knight and so I did! Moon Knight has had many creative teams over the past few years, each putting their own kind of spin on the character and we see that now with Jeff Lemire. So the story is Mark Spector wakes up as a patient at a corrupt, dodgy mental asylum, he has no memory or recollection of how he got there, he tries to escape but then realises he's trapped in something much bigger. First off Artwork is quite nice, its got this shady shadow kind of look w ...more
mercedes
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a feeling I probably should’ve started with Ellis’ run as this was WILD and I am confused but... in a good way. But hey! Mercedes culture is always assuming I can start with volume 1 of anything.

The art was gorgeous and fit with the theme of the story so well, the switches between what Marc can see / what everyone else is seeing is brilliant and I’m shocked this doesn’t have a higher rating, I was so invested in this.
Tiago
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Lemire finally gets a superhero that fits his style, and its a blast! I had some bad experiences with Lemire and Marvel before, I didn't like his run on the X-Men at all, but I love the heck out of his other stories, so I was a little apprehensive on this one, but as soon as I've read the first chapter, I knew this was gonna be good.

This was a refreshing take on a superhero story, it plays like a thriller, a psychological horror or even an acid trip and that's just right up my alley, and ev
Robert
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Well that was some top-rate lunacy start-to-finish. Is it still possible to root for a "superhero" for whom you feel a profound existential pity? I guess that's the central issue to be explored here, and one that has me interested enough to invest time in Vol 2 soon!
Quentin Wallace
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Moon Knight character, but I'm not a fan of the recent trend that seems to be how to make the character as crazy as possible.

I prefer him when he was more like Marvel's Batman, although some of the recent stories which explore his split personalities have been interesting. This one just takes it to the extreme, as we see Marc Spector in an insane asylum and we really never know whether he really is in an asylum or if he's in some other dimension fighting Egyptian Gods and m
Paz R.M.
Hm, so I never read Moon Knight before. Was this the best way to start? Beats me, but I enjoyed the hell out of this and I wanna go back and look for different runs by other writers.

For being such a weird ass book, with an oneiric feeling, narrated by a character with mental illness that leaves you with more questions than answers, I loved this. I understand if this is not your cup of tea, but I was mesmerized by the story, the characters and mythology, and most of all the artwork.

Marc Spector i
Sierra Dean
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love love loved the Warren Ellis Moon Knight series and didn't think much else could match up to it. Brian Wood's follow up was excellent. Cullen Bunn's left me flat. So I picked up the Jeff Lemire/Greg Smallwood/Jordie Bellaire series with anxiety and optimism. And DAMN was I glad I did. the Smallwood art is wonderful, with rough charcoal-style lines and brilliant use of negative space. Bellaire brings a muted colour palette to play with great success, making pops of purple and red all the mo ...more
Jesse A
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book, even for someone with no Moon Knight experience. Cool art and very interesting story
L. McCoy
My brain's reaction right after reading this is a mix of holy s***, this is amazing and WTF.

What it's about:
This book is about a guy named Marc Spector who thinks he's a vigilante known as Moon Knight. When he wakes up in a mental hospital he has to figure out if he's really Moon Knight or if he's just nuts.

Pros:
Great story with lots of unpredictable twists (of course Lemire wrote it so if you weren't expecting that, you must not be too familiar with Lemire, are somehow able to predict tricky st
Brent
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superhero comics
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: superhero, fiction, comics
Compelling, well crafted, written and drawn: but unsatisfying, unless LeMire's next volume builds on this. Great art, and storytelling, though. My issue is with an unsatisfying denouement, that continues making the protagonist nuttier than a fruitcake, and that's not necessary.
Rod Brown
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Moon Knight has always been a sad little Batman ripoff who Marvel trots out for a series every decade or so to preserve the trademark. Writers seem to have fun probing at this origin and goofy role-playing schtick to question his mental health. Lemire goes all in for this iteration, involuntarily committing Marc Spector to a mental hospital and diagnosing him with dissociative identity disorder.

There's a whole lot of what's real/what's delusional futzing around, but the art and dialogue kept the
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jeff Lemire's solo books are literally made of gold. When he tries to dabble in teams, things fall apart (although Black Hammer has been great, so maybe I'm talking rubbish). So having him take on Moon Knight, a book that really needs an innovative storytelling perspective (especially after the last volume) is a no brainer.

Marc Spector is in a mental institution. How did he get there? Why are all his friends there? What the fuck is Khonshu pulling now? All these questions and more will be sort-o
Frédéric
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: moon-knight, comics
3,5*

Marc Spector wakes up in a creepy asylum where it seems he was locked up for the last 20 years or so. His psychiatrist is formal: his delusions of being Moon Knight started when he was a teenager and only went worse over the years. Now she'll have to increase the dose of his medication...

Though a minor character Moon Knight is surprisingly good these days. Last volume (vol. 7 already) lasted only 17 issues but these were more than ok with good plot and art. It seems that vol. 8 is on the sam
Gray
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was so cool! Ancient Egyptian gods, a lost superhero, reality, perception and the system. This was my first time to read this character and I am really impressed. It was Jeff Lemire's name that brought me here as I am a big fan of his Black Hammer ongoing series published by Dark Horse. The art in Moon Knight is beautiful and the story really appeals to me.

Imagine if you woke up in a mental health facility convinced that you are a superhero but the doctors and staff keep telling you
Bobby
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For the last few years, Moon Knight has existed in his own little pocket of the Marvel Universe where he rarely crosses paths with other marvel heroes.

It's a part of the world that isn't caught up in massive world-altering events and crossovers and epic battles. Instead, is the quiet insanity that's explored here as Marc Spector has been placed away in a mental institution, presumably for his good.

This book is an existential, mind trap and no one here seems to knows what's real and what isn't.
Deniz
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
I've always been fond of philosophy of madness from Erasmus to Foucault. Moon Knight combines this philosophy with an intriguing story and great work of art. I wish we had a six stars option for this.
Vinton Bayne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've never been so confused. I've also never been so ok with being confused. This is super intriguing. And that art!! So fitting. So good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Moon Knight, Vol. 1: From the Dead
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 3: In the Night
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 2: Dead Will Rise
  • Moon Knight, by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev, Volume 2
  • The Spirit, Vol. 2
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Doomsday Clock #5: There Is No God
  • Divinity
  • Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird
  • Frankenstein Underground
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.

Moon Knight (2016) (3 books)
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 2: Reincarnations
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 3: Birth and Death
“But before you can become something new, you must remember who you have already been...” 1 likes