Start by marking “The New York Times Book of the Dead: 320 Print and 10,000 Digital Obituaries of Extraordinary People” as Want to Read:

The obituary page of The New York Times is a celebration of extraordinary lives. This groundbreaking package includes 300 obits in the book with exclusive online access to 10,000 more of the most important and fascinating obituaries the Times has ever published.

The obituary page is the section many readers first turn to not only see who died, but to read some of the most
Published October 18th 2016 by Black Dog & Leventhal

To ask other readers questions about The New York Times Book of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Times Book of the Dead

Erin
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Obituaries provide a fascinating look at a person's life. NYT's Book of the Dead is a compilation of the obituaries of famous people going all the way back to the late great Abe Lincoln. I hope The Times will put out a similar book with obituaries of fascinating non famous people. Who should read this? Morbid weirdo's like me.
Danielle DuPuis
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 900s, obituaries
It was VERY long and VERY informative. Lots of great take-aways from this and it's a great book to keep on hand for reference if you are into famous people - especially famous dead people. It's kind of crazy to think that when we die, we get a mere page (less for us common folk) to explain what it took an entire life-time to accomplish. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book. I won't bore you with my thoughts (because I have MANY) but I loved reading this book (but it definitely requ ...more
Stephen
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The biggest book I've ever read (quite literally) except for encyclopedias. It is massive tome - 600+ pages in fine print on a foot-long page.

But do not be daunted by the scale of things. If you set aside 15 minutes or so during your break to read the obituaries in random order (obviously you don't have to read them all), you'll finish the book in no time.

Not only does it enlighten one on the art of obituary writing, it transports you through time to relive the lives of giants whose accomplishme
Jacky
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won a free copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway, but that had no influence on my review.

If you're into the occult or not, this is a very interesting book. This has 320 printed obituaries in the book with over 150 black and white photos and includes a USB web-key. These are highly selected obituaries from The New York Times newspaper archives. This book contains some of the most important and influential people you can think of and if you can't find them in the book just check out the di
Michael Durbin
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best coffee table book ever. I expect to chip away at this for years to come of enjoyable, fascinating, educational reading, one mini-biography at a time.
Debby
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This very long book is very thorough. NYT prides themselves by hiring the best writers to do obits and it shows. 300 bios of world renowned leaders in many fields from 1850 forward. Mao, Chang Kei Shek, Richard Wagner, Brahms, and Elvis as well as Mohammed Ali. It took a month of reading, but this is really fabulous and readable.
Julie Castell
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this one down! It was a true history lesson. Listings are separated into categories..."Literary", "Hollywood", etc... Don't be put off by the heft or the length of this book, it's physically heavy & long! Some entries offered information I never knew while others were a a "brush-up" on things I learned in school. A must read for everyone!
Linda Doyle
Mar 12, 2019
Lukas
Mar 13, 2017
Ronchamlinggmail.Com
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2017
John Tully
May 12, 2017
  • The Kennedy Years: From the Pages of The New York Times
  • The Stammering Century
  • Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies: New Zealand and the United States
  • Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City
  • Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City
  • Fire and Steam: A New History of the Railways in Britain
  • Freedom for the Thought That We Hate: A Biography of the First Amendment
  • Unf*ckology: A Field Guide to Living with Guts and Confidence
  • Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life