Start by marking “The Highway Kind” as Want to Read:
The Highway Kind

The Highway Kind

Thrilling crime stories about cars, driving, and the road from the world's bestselling and critically acclaimed writers.
Published October 18th 2016 by Mulholland Books (first published October 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Highway Kind, please sign up.
Marion Goriak Unrelated, but historical fiction, during the beginning of the Third Reich. Very mechanically detailed, my least favourite story in the collection.

James Thane
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
In 2009, Patrick Millikin edited a great collection of short stories published as Phoenix Noir, which remains one of the best entries in the Noir series from Akashic. Millikin now returns with an excellent new collection of stories in The Highway Kind.

As was the case with Phoenix Noir, Millikin has recruited an all-star cast of writers, including Michael Connelly, Ace Atkins, George Pelecanos, C.J. Box, Gary Phillips, Wallace Stroby, Joe R. Lansdale and others. There's even a contribution from P
Melki
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Over the years, the automobile has come to represent not just our freedom, but our isolation. For many Americans, driving is the closest we'll get to a meditative state. When we're not checking our e-mail or text-messaging with our friends, we're driving and we're thinking. We silently plot crimes, decide to quit drinking, sneak cigarettes, muster the courage to leave our husbands or wives, binge on fast food at anonymous drive-ins. Our cars facilitate our secret lives.*

I've never been a huge fa
Karl
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
*Won this on GR Giveaway*

4 Stars

Rated this for consistency throughout this book of short stories. Each one quite different than the next. All about drivers and roads and where that all leads us. Some stories are darker than others, but tell a great tale.
Mobyskine
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never knew I would love writings about cars. This book takes me into a different world, totally intriguing. Few that I personally love:

Test Drive (Ben H. Winters)-- The starting was good. It driven my curiosity and attention, I know that something was not right, twist was expected though I was a bit puzzled and judging Steve as some psychos but when I thought nothing was related to Roegenberger and Steve was wrong the writer then gave me with the unexpected. Very nerve-racking. Love the idea and
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS
2016; Mullholland Books/Hachette Book Group
(Review Not on Blog)

I mostly read this for Michael Connelly's story as it contained his character, Mickey Haller. I also looked forward to reading Diana Gabaldon's story. There were a few other authors I have heard and the rest were new to me. Like any anthology, there are some great stories and some not so great. I found only a couple were good, but it is a good way to get a taste of some authors you may want to try.

***I received an eARC
Tom Donaghey
THE HIGHWAY KIND, edited by Patrick Millikin, is a collection of 15 short stories centered around cars and driving, written by some of the finest of todays mystery/suspense authors. Unlike many collections I have read in the past few years, this stands out for the sheer consistent excellence of the stories. They go from the very good to great in their description of character, setting, mood, and motivation. I especially liked Driving to Geronimo's Grave by Joe R. Lansdale for it's graphic morbi ...more
K
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a cool idea-- assemble a bunch of talented authors and ask each to write a short story that somehow involves a car. Being a "car-guy," I was happy to find a copy in the library, and from it's pristine condition, I'd guess few before me had discovered this interesting book.
The good: several stories grabbed me from start to finish, notably the entries from Ben Winters, C. J. Box, Wallace Stroby and Patterson Hood. The first two were probably the best.
The bad: after a bit, there was a sense
Robert
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I went through a phase a while back of reading American 'grit lit', including Willy Vlautin (featured here) and crime novels including Sallis and Pelecanos (ditto) and reading this reminded me that I'd like to read more of it. I must say that the undoubted highlight for me was Benjamin H. Winters' story, which opens the collection and is excellent.

Equally I should point out that I might not have heard of this volume were it not for the fact that it features a story by the co-founder of my favou
Jk
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy edition of this book via the Goodreads Giveaways program and would like to thank everyone involved with making that possible.

This was more like 4.5 stars rounded up! I am not a big (or even a little!) car fanatic so I was a little wary of this one but given the impressive list of contributors went ahead and entered the giveaway anyway. I am so glad that I gave this one a chance! These stories are a hell of a lot of fun. They lead down some very dark roads and a
Steph Post
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short story collections can be hit or miss, but The Highway Kind knocks it out of the park. This collection of stories from crime fiction authors- from big names to small- explores our relationship with cars and the road in unexpected ways and I was surprised to get so much emotion from the stories. Standouts include Willy Vlautin's "The Kill Switch" and Joe Lansdale's "Driving to Geronimo's Grave," but really every story carried its weight and the collection rounds out well as a whole. I wouldn ...more
Mike
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mike by: Dixon
The pleasure of reading this anthology was that I found some new authors to try --Ben Winters, Willy Vlautin, Luis Urrea and one to give a second chance -- C J Box and unfortunately, some to steer well clear of -- Diana Gabaldon, Sara Green, Ace Atkins. Then there are the very good but really dark/morbid/noir -- Wallace Stroby, George Pelecanos. Overall, I give it four stars because Joe Lansdale's entry alone was worth the price of the book!
Janet
I am rating Patterson Hood's story only: it is excellent. Rough, darkly funny in parts, atmospheric, and very creepy. (I confess I took this collection home just to read this one story. This genre isn't my cup of tea but I had to support my buddy and am so glad I read his story! I think my husband is going to read this entire book--it's definitely up his alley.)
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of short stories. All different takes on the theme.of cars and the open road. Two of my favorite subjects, and a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Passing it on to my dad, who taught me to love these two subjects.
Catherine
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-books
This is a great book! I loved it!
A Reader's Heaven

Like fiction, cars take us into a different world: from the tony enclaves of upper crust society to the lowliest barrio; from muscle car-driving con men to hardscrabble kids on the road during the Great Depression; from a psychotic traveling salesman to a Mexican drug lord who drives a tricke
Dave
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Highway Kind is a collection of short stories of varying lengths by an all-star cast of writers including such famed authors as Michael Connelly, George Pelecanos, and Wil Vilharo. The theme of these stories is the fuel-infected powerful rides that some men spend their whole lives working on and perfecting.

Even what seem like the tamest stories about test driving a "dadmobile" are not tame, but at a certain point become emotionally out of control (winters' Test Drive). Other stories are hard
Michelle
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved these short stories of many different kinds of cars.For anyone who either has loved or hated a car or know someone who is obsessed with their car these stories make sense.They are all different and intriquing in their own ways.The first story Test Drive sucked me right in and it was hard putting down the book to do necessary things.Two of my co-workers were very interested when I had it at work with me.One of them never reads but said "They are short stories right.Maybe I would like them ...more
Hijacking Of
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is often the case with short story collections, some of the writers are very good, i.e., Michael Connelly and others not so much. The automotive thread was interesting. The advantage to anthologies is each short story stands alone; the book can easily be picked up for a quick read. Great for summer reading
Brucie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Consistently entertaining thriller stories from the bookseller's favorite authors.
Melissa
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
A collection of short stories about cars. Loved it. It reminded me of the Alfred Hitchcock stories.
Ross Cumming
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Highway Kind:Tales of Fast Cars, Desperate Drivers and Dark Roads" is a collection of short stories, all, as you can guess by the title, are car or driving related. I was initially drawn to this collection as some of my favourite writers, such as Michael Connelly, George Pelacanos, Wallace Stroby, Ace Atkins, Joe R. Lansdale and Willy Vlautin all contribute stories. There are also contributions from writers I've not read before and even a story from Patterson Hood, the main songwriter of on ...more
P.e. lolo
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The authors of these different stories are all well-known and have made each story an interesting tale around the vehicle that is being used to describe the action that is happening. The different authors which I have read most at one time or another keep the stories entertaining like other ones that I have read from there’s. The difference is the vehicle in each story and the description of each one. Anyone who loves cars or even the Dodge power wagon will be happy with each story. I was and I ...more
Steve Martinson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book in a giveaway. These stories were not bad, but they were not good either. There was not a single story that stood out to me as the best in the book. If I had to grade them in a class, it would be B- to C. Some of the stories were not even about cars. If one of the characters happened to be driving down the road, the story was included. Like I said; Nothing really bad, but nothing really great either.
Chris
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(5)-Great selection of short stories by a nice mix of well-known and lesser known authors. The title and cover art could lead to a false conclusion that the book is only for gearheads, but this is a rich and diverse collection of well plotted tales with edgy characters that should appeal to crime fiction and middle America/small town noir fans. I really enjoyed the opportunity to read "Runs Good" by new-to-me author Kelly Braffet and I look forward to reading more of her work.
Preston
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting book..some of the stories in the collection were a bit disturbing; graphic and somewhat violent. The stories did all involve cars and/or traveling as a background, but these were primarily background for the main themes of humanity and psychology. In one of the stories, a paranoid individual uses his vehicle as a weapon against his perceived enemy. Scary.
Carolyn C.
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I got this book from the library just to read the Michael Connelly story, Burnt Matches. It's a Mickey Haller story, 11 pages long, and is just one scene.

Not much to it but at least Cisco was in it!
Thomas Pluck
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some great stories in here. George Pelecanos, Sara Gran, Luis Alberto Urrea, CJ Box, Wallace Stroby, Kelly Braffet, Gary Phillips, Ace Atkins, Willy Vlautin, and Joe Lansdale really bring it. I knew most of the writers but Braffet and Vlautin are nice discoveries for me.
Paul
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. Stories on a theme, but so much variety and complexity. My favorites were "The Triplle Black 'Cuda" by George Pelecanos, and "Runs Good" by Kelly Braffet. Picked this up for "Power Wagon" by C.J. Box so should mention that too. Fun book!
Mindy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting collection of short stories that kept my attention. Some were just average, but a couple of them really shined---The Kill Switch by Willy Vlautin and Driving to Geronimo's Grave by Joe R. Lansdale were particularly well-written and enjoyable.

• Catchee Monkey (Rex & Eddie Mysteries #1)
  • American Death Songs
  • The Big Finish (Thorn, #14)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1998
  • Out of Tune
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1950s: Mischief / The Blunderer / Beast in View / Fools' Gold
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2016
  • DIY Vegan: More Than 100 Easy Recipes to Create an Awesome Plant-Based Pantry
  • A Brain Wider Than the Sky: A Migraine Diary
  • The Big Bang
  • OxCrimes: 27 Killer Stories from the Cream of Crimewriters
  • Five Minutes Alone (Theodore Tate, #4)
  • The Rope Swing: Stories
  • What He's Poised to Do: Stories
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • Out of the Woods
  • Saul's Game (Homeland, #2)
  • Misdirection (A Rusty Diamond Novel, #1)
Patrick Millikin is a bookseller at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale. As a freelance writer, his articles, interviews, and reviews have appeared in Publishers Weekly, Firsts Magazine, Paradoxa, Yourflesh Quarterly, and other publications. Millikin currently lives in central Phoenix.