Start by marking “Cursed (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cursed (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #1)

Cursed

(The Thrice Cursed Mage #1)

My name is Mac Brennan and that's the only thing I can remember about myself. Not why I woke up in a dumpster. Not why my right arm is as black as pitch and covered in glowing red tattoos, and certainly not why a vicious death cult is after me.

Actually, that last part isn't true. I know why the death cult is after me. It's because I saved that damned girl from them. I didn
Published February 7th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed

Ln Winchester
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Comic book action hero and shallow plot

This is a good book for some fast, gory action. In fact, it's non-stop action, no character or story development. We don't know Mac Brennan, but we learn he never gets hungry, thirsty or tired, never has to use a bathroom or sleep, never goes into shock, never gets seriously injured. We know he expresses his thoughts almost entirely in similes. "They flew at me like dive bombers." "The door was like the lair of a dragon." "I was like a dog with a bone." And
DWR
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
All of a sudden, before he knew it, in less than a blink of an eye

I only made it through 54% of the book. I didn't measure it empirically, but it felt like there wasn't page in the book that didn't include someone getting hit in the head, shot, stabbed, set on fire, run over, cursed, blown-up, irradiated, beaten to a pulp, eviscerated, etc. The writing wasn't terrible, just the content. No character development, just a lot of spontaneous, and unexplained violence. The main character is barely 2
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
While listening to this all I could think of is that this author must be a fan of Jim Butcher cause it really had that sort of feel to me. Not that that is a bad thing cause I love The Dresen Files. :) It just sort of falls flat here.

Mac Brennan wakes up in a dumpster and has no memories except what his name is or at least what he thinks it is. His arm is black and it has red tattoos on it and he has no idea how it happened or what it is.

When he helps a young woman get away from some men, at fir
Jonathan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This had the possibility of being a good book, but had a few major hangups:
1) It's backbone is all references to other books, comics, and stories. We aren't talking a peppering here, we are talking a whole goddamn spice rack. With maybe an extra spice rack thrown in for good measure. Die Hard? Twilight? Marvel Comics? DC Comics? LOTR? Etc. Everything in the book was a reference to something else.

2) "Emotional Basketball". "I was scared", "You look scared", "He looks scared!" If it takes you 2-3
Jasmine Walt
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need more!

Holy cow! This is a no-holds-barred, non-stop action thrill ride the likes you've never seen before in urban fantasy. Mac Brennan is a gun-shooting, hellfire-wielding badass with amnesia who battles werewolves, gargoyles and demons in order to save the day and find out just who he is and what the hell is going on. The voice, dialogue and humor are spot on, and the twists and turns will keep you guessing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't WAIT for the next one!
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
A wild nonstop action-packed devilish ride! I love how the pacing of this novel kept going, always keeping me on the edge of my seat. I read that someone compared it to a comic and I would agree. It was like a dark fantasy comic. It actually reminded me of Constantine.
Mac was a humorous antihero that was fun to read. I'm interested to see where the story goes from here.
I received a copy in exchange for a review.
Cindy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A dark hero

This story is like a magical Jason Bourne movie. Mac has no memories except who he is, which is better than Bourne's predicament. Even though dealing with demons would usually be a stupid move, it sounds like Mac had no choice if he wanted to save someone close to him. He is a natural hero but he is dark and doesn't mind killing to get the job done.

I had a hard time with a few things. The memory issues made it hard to follow sometimes. Also, he talks in his head a lot especially when
Jodie (JCT)
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you want a book that is just action scene after action seen this is perfect for you. it was a very quick book to read though. It just wasn't my idea of a good book what I love is characters. I wont be reading the rest of the series sorry.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
When Mac Brennan wakes up in a dumpster the only thing that he can remember about himself is his name. It also doesn't help that he's naked as the day he was born and that his left arm is covered in a black tar like substance which seems to turn red when he is in peril. Mac knows that there's something he needs to accomplish and that time is running out but he has no idea what that might possibly be. Before Mac has a chance to even remotely figure any of this all out, he finds that he has angere ...more
Amanda Gillespie Shock N Awe Book Blog
This is a delightful new series by Cipriano. It is full of suspense, magic, witches, werewolves, vampires, and demons and the need to do whatever it takes to protect those you love, even if you don’t remember who they are, or even who you are for that matter.

In Mac Brennan’s search to find why he has this demon arm that has powers of its own sometimes and who he sold his soul to, who he is supposed to save, or what he is meant to do with these new powers. In the meantime, his humanity won’t all
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cursed (The Thrice Cursed Mage #1) by J.A. Cipriano is book one in the Trice Cursed Mage series and it was awesome! Thrilling, fascinating, magic filled, exciting, suspense-filled, and crazy is what this book is! The guy wakes up in a dumpster, no memory of how he got there or why, and now he has power! But he gets mixed up in something over his head... in with demons that want him dead... Great job!
Jenny Whetzel
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a different book but in a good way. It is a good paranormal/fantasy read as it has a little of everything: werewolves, vampires, demons, etc. This is my first time reading anything by this author and I am thinking I will read the next book in this series. The characters lacked some depth for me, I felt like I couldn't connect with them. But the creativity-wow! A+ for creativity!
Kaila
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
this was good. had a lot of action so it was fun for that reason.. im not a big fan of urban fantasy and this wasnt really my favorite when it comes to that but it wasnt a bad story either. the plot was good.. the characters were good.. so overall i wiould recommend it to others and im glad i got to review it
Jana Brown
Oct 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
Many levels of nope.

I wanted to like this, but the writing is so clunky and the characters so shallow. I just can't finish it.
Franklin  Hummel
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was a good book. I thought the main character was very interested and his interest in and reference to the horror/comic book genres were fun.

I know I am likely a minority in this, but I am truly weary of plots involving finding the missing spouse (usually straight man's wife) and child. (It seems like a child always has to also be missing.) For me this has become a very tiresome cliché. Surely there are OTHER motivations a character could have.

It is rather telling when I find (on my Kindle)
Kat Lebo
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Cursed (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #1
by J.A. Cipriano

A quick and reasonably enjoyable read.

What I liked:
a. I liked the main character and found the surrounding characters interesting
b. There certainly was adequate danger and action (maybe a bit too much)
c. Easy to read
d. Interesting situations

What I didn't like:
a. And yes, as usual (not always), this cost the book a star: the hated cliff hanging ending. Yes, I know the next couple of books in the series are available, but why should I read a book
Kathy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and 'fantastical'

We wake up with the hero at the start of the book, not knowing anything. Who is the hero, why is he in this situation and what can he do about it. Amnesia means the answers to these questions come to him, and therefore to us, slowly as the story unravels.

Mac, the hero, has memories of non-personal things such as social media, geography, and also (piecemeal) use of firearms and other items. He eventually figuratively meets his inner demon (?) cat who reminds me of the Cheshir
Sheila
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The protagonist in J.A. Cipriano’s Cursed reminds me of Harry Dresden with his smooth, self-deprecating voice and darkly antagonistic world. But the similarities end as Mac Brennan learns and uses his destructive powers—this is a gory tale with crueler themes. The story's set in an almost-familiar world where vampires and werewolves roam unrecognized, congregate at the occasional safe cafe location, and perhaps allow mysterious entities to inhabit their minds. But Mac’s first aim is to find out ...more
Manda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fast read with lots going on. If you have read the reviews there are a lot of mixed feeling towards the story and character. The main character has lost his memory, so he doesn't know who he is or his history. How the author build his character up without spoilers? They can't, We get info when Mac does in the way of memory flashes or he remembers things by instinct. I for one enjoy learning along with Mac.

There are also a lot of references to other books, characters and movies. I know
Travis
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book to be interesting as far as it goes, and while I wouldn't object to reading more in the series, I'm certainly not going hunting for them. If I run across one later on, fine, I'll read it, but this just doesn't fit what I like to read.
Sure, there was lots of action, and sure, there's a seriously overpowered hero that can tank with the best of them, but that's basically all that happens here. If you like lots and lots of action, and no plot, then sure, have at it. If you're looki
Mike Farrell
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Above average supernatural story

Cursed is the first book in a new miniseries featuring supernatural demons, werewolves, vampires, druids and other so far unidentified creatures.

Mac, our hero in this story, wakes up one morning in a garbage container with no memory and his right arm turned black with tattoos in a strange language.

As Mac tries to figure out what's going on, he gets involved in helping a young woman who is being attacked by werewolves. In helping her, Mac begins to discover that h
Sarah Spelbring
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know anything about mages with this book, as there weren't any in it. There were werewolves, Frankenstein, demons, vampires, and druids though.

Allow me to be a little self-promoting here... but this starts out a lot like my book After Life. A guy wakes up without his memory in an alley... yeah exactly the same. There are a few details though, like this guy is in a dumpster.

Anyway, he meets all sorts of other people/things and while relatively short (I'm into short ebooks this year it s
Jay Williams
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An imaginative and quite good story involving vampires, werewolves, demons, druids and humans who gain demonic powers through deals with the demons. The story begins with Mac Brennan waking up in a dumpster with no memories. Clear and succinct writing provides all the excitement and action a reader could handle. The story arc has a distinct ending, but leaves the door open for more, making this a good stand alone book as well as the introduction to a series. The descriptions are detailed to crea ...more
Lukas Lovas
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
About half-way through, I realised I wasn't actually enjoying this book, but thanks to how short it was, I decided to finish it anyway. It could benefit greatly from some editing - making sure that some words weren't repeated 3 times within 3 consecutive sentences and similar small, but irritating sins. Also....what's with the parable and comparisons? Almost everything he mentioned was compared to something else until it grew a bit ridiculous in some instances.

As for the plot, I liked the basic
Sherry Haynes
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book to me was a quick read filled with action scene after action scene after action scene (you get the picture) throughout the book. I didn't feel as if the story was great but it was alright.

I would recommend this to those that like comic book reads because that is the feel I got. Wham Bam Pop situations where the main character "surprisingly" gets out of situation with some magical power he knows nothing about.

I didn't hate the plot and would read more by this author.
Sue Plant
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
wow such a lot happened....

he wakes up in a dumpster no memory and his arm is black as the ace of spades and also sporting tattoos...

all he knows he has to rescue a mother and son but first he has to figure out who what and where he is...and then he stumbles across another woman in need of rescuing....

action packed book and an easy writing style that keeps you reading even if page after page there is action to numerous to mention or remember
Gea
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of encounters with evil beings, so many that Mac has learnt to react before thinking. Otherwise it would have killed him quite a few times. His gifts are what make him badass and like a superhero.

He gets help from a demon cat; sometimes I could use one of those too.

He has pure intentions but is convinced he is one of the bad guys.

It’s too bad the story ends in a cliffhanger, but Mac did manage to survive another day.

I received a copy and this is my honest and voluntary review
Justin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Overall pretty good, liked the storyline and the fact that he would throw jokes in regarding other fantasy books, made it fun. I liked the characters sense of humor, could have done without the swearing though. Maybe if he would have come up with another type of witty vocabulary instead of the swearing would make it more fun.
Frank Bertino
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Non Stop Action

Mac lost his memory, made a deal with a demon for power, and gets caught up in helping a young mother and her son to the detriment of accomplishing what he originally set out to do but can't remember. I like the action and story. I look forward to the next book.
Alan T
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Memory

Mac Brennan awakens in a trash bin with no memory beyond his name. He meets and defends Sera, and later her young son John. Mac attempts to discover his memory. Good plot and charactorization.
  • Monster Born (Northern Creatures #1)
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
  • The Mountain's Shadow (The Lycanthropy Files, #1)
  • Raw Power (Demon-Hearted, #1)
  • Allie's War: Episode 1 (Allie's War, #1.1)
  • Soul Breaker (City of Crows, #1)
  • Corrupted (Southern Watch, #3)
  • Wizard Dawning (The Battle Wizard Saga, #1)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Blackhollow Academy, #1)
  • Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)
  • Magic In My Bones (Lesser Magicks #1)
  • An Act of Deceit (Sarah Woods Mystery Series, #2)
  • Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1)
  • Unveiled
  • Unveiled (The Dark Skies Trilogy, #1)
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
  • Catastrophe (Sekhmet #1)
  • Spirelli Paranormal Investigations, Episodes #1- #3 (Spirelli Paranormal Investigations)
When New York Times Bestselling author, J. A. Cipriano was in second grade, his teacher gave everyone in class a journal to write down whatever they wanted. Their first subject was to write about something they didn’t like. J. A. chose to write about why he didn’t like writing. His reasoning was simple. He had bad handwriting. Even then, he was destined to be an engineer due to his messy scrawl.

Un

The Thrice Cursed Mage (6 books)
  • Marked (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #2)
  • Burned (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #3)
  • Seized (The Thrice Cursed Mage, #4)
  • Claimed  (The Thrice Cursed Mage #5)
  • Hellbound (The Thrice Cursed Mage #6)