Start by marking “Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards” as Want to Read:
Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards

Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
You can bet your bottom dollar this funny story is the cream of the cropand the best thing since sliced bread! Award-winning artist Serge Bloch will have kids laughing their heads off at this child’s-eye look at idiomatic expressions like “ants in your pants,” “homework is for the birds,” and “cat got your tongue?” These commonly used sayings make sense in the adult world ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Sterling

Be the first to ask a question about Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards

babyhippoface
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Storyline is second to the illustrations in this great little book about idioms. What a fantastic Art project I'm envisioning with this baby....
Nicole Pourchier
What a creative way to bring idioms to life through image. Perfect for teaching such an abstract concept to young children.
Jenette
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A creative book that artistically demonstrates figures of speech from a child's perspective. It is a fun read.
Heather
This author is a genius. I LOVE how he rolls so many idioms into one book and illustrates them in the confusing way they must sound to kids hearing them for the first time.
Chrystal
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very engaging and a great tool to teach idioms and other sayings to children. It also helped me remember how literally children hear things.
Kayla Spires
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A small and simple book about the emotions that come with the first day of school in the form of idioms such as "butterflies in my stomach." Following this pattern, the whole story is very imaginative but hints that everyone feels the same way and it's normal to be nervous. I appreciate the creative imagery using a combination of scribbled figures in pen and real objects like pickles, butterflies, zippers, etc. all of which match the idioms. Very fun!
Grace Moore
Jun 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: lang-lit
This book is a great way to help a child understand idioms. An idiom is a word or phrase that has a figurative, rather than a literal meaning. This book is recommended for children ranging from 1st to 4th grade. It is about a boy who is nervous for his first day of school. The author uses idioms to describe how the boy is feeling; for example, "waking up on the wrong side of the bed". This book has fun and colorful illustrations that will capture the attention of its audience, while also helping ...more
Samantha Hagler
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: idioms
Such a cute book!! This is a little tale about a young boy who explains what happened during his first day of school. The author is a genius with the way she writes this book, because it is told all through idioms! The illustrations are adorable and will keep any child engaged and on their feet to hear more. Teaching about the literary term idioms can be a hard concept for kids to grasp at first, and what a great way to jump start a lesson! From waking up on the wrong side of the bed to raining ...more
Shamilah Gillani
Wow, I think this is such an adorable book! I would definitely read this book to my students during the first day of school. The book is about a young boy who goes through his first day of school and gets nervous as he hears all these idioms around him. I love the way the author incorporates the idioms into the book, making it comical and relatable to young children. The book would be a great introduction into a lesson about idioms and literary elements. I would have my students list all the idi ...more
Liane
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: megan
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early
Topics & Themes: Anxieties about starting the first day of school

Curricular Use: Read aloud, good for discussion and demonstration of idioms

Literary Elements: The story is told using solely figures of speech. Idioms. Literal verses figurative interpretation, how does a child visualize adult sayings?

Text & Pictures: Interaction/Counteraction of text and pictures, depending on your perspective. The pictures are all literal interpretations of the words
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it

A boy's first day of school is anything but pleasant! He starts by getting up "on the wrong side of the bed". Then on the way to school he gets "butterflies in his stomach". He has a big worry that you eventually find out about towards the end of the story. The story is told purely through idioms that describe his situation. The illustrations were also cleverly rendered. Drawn in black outlines, with only the figure of speech portrayed in color makes for an eye-catching book. I thoroughly enjoye
Cassie
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just about everyone has felt as if butterflies were in their stomach, especially on the first day of school. This tidy little book explores one boy's first day with a string of colorful idioms. Great read-a-loud and a nice way to get a laugh as well as learn a bit about the wonderfully complex English language!
Joenna
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd
A great picture book about figures of speech. It is a boy's first day of school and his mom says he has butterflies in his stomach. Throughout his day, various teachers keep saying odd phrases that he doesn't quite understand. For each figure of speech, the illustration are the literal meaning, like it's raining cats and dogs. Too cute!
Megan Piero
This is yet another great book of idioms from Serge Bloch. This story is about a young boys first day of school and all of his fears. As a teacher, this would be both a great book for the first week of school or as a separate lesson about idioms and how to write with common phrases. This is definitely a unique way to tell a story and I want my future students to be exposed to it.
Christy Whitaker
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a great tool to introduce idioms in the classroom. Not only can the story provide word play for students, but teachers/ adults realize just how literally children interpret their words. I, for one, use a lot of figurative language, so now I will be sure to use it as a teaching moment.
Tara
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fromthelibrary
Very simple illustrations illustrate the metaphors one often uses in everyday conversation, especially when giving advice about the first day of school. Charming in its simplicity, I found the text geared to an age that had already tackled their first day of school. More of an example of everday metaphors than about school....
Danielle Simmons
A young student's first day of school turns into a beautiful and exciting tale. The illustrations and idioms keep you wanting to read more and more to see what idiom will be used next. But at the end of the day, school was full of adventure and surprises, but everything went well. There was no need for butterflies in the stomach!
Sabrina
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chilrens-books
I really enjoyed the way the auther used real life pictures and drawing to make the book come alive. The children will be ableto relate to this book becuase children take everything you say literally. Great book!
Kira Richardson
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book with a really cute concepts. The illustrations are to die for and students will be very engaged in reading the story and making predictions and interpreting what they think the author means by each phrase.
Sue
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Besides being a great read aloud to get kids talking about what they worry about on the first day of school, almost every page includes an idiom with an adorable illustration! I will be reading it at the at the beginning of the year for both reasons....
Christine Turner
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
On the first day of school, a student is confused by many of the phrases that are used, such as when the librarian says not to open a can of worms, or when the teacher says he expects the class to be busy bees doing their homework. www.hcpl.net

:-(
, I expected more.
Kathleen
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In approximately 34 sentences and 32 idioms, Serge Block has captured what we all feel like when starting down a new path in life.

Simple, clean illustrations add just the right touch to this perfect piture book that can carry your child beyond the first day of school jitters.
Jackie
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
On the first day of school, a young boy hears lots of confusing phrases that are part of our everyday figures of speech. From the teacher to the librarian, the janitor to the bus driver, we each have our own unique way of describing the day.

A fun read-aloud for ELA class.
Danielle Long
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is really cute.
Gail Carr
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Love this one.
Jen
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book! Funny renditions of common phrases.
Monica
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
I like the way the author combines real photographs with simple pencil illustrations. Great book to teach students idioms.
Kendall
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute book...gives examples of idioms. Fun to read on the first day of school--about starting school. Would also be good for use with figurative language lessons.
Barb Middleton
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full of figures of speech - good for grades 3 and up. Also can be used to discuss worrying about going to or being at school. I'm going to have the counselor read it.
Leah Lemon
Jan 28, 2010 added it
Shelves: 100-books
I think this book might just be another good book to read to calm the first day jitters. But it's also a good way to introduce metaphors and hyperbole.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • Home
  • Voices in the Park
  • Franklin's New Friend (Franklin the turtle, #16)
  • Round Trip
  • Too Purpley! (Too! Books)
  • Cinderella's Rat
  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas
  • A Book
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Open Me...I'm a Dog!
  • Miss Bridie Chose a Shovel
  • The Feel Good Book
  • Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
  • Now One Foot, Now the Other
  • All Kinds of Families!
  • My Side of the Car
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
Serge Bloch’s first children’s book, I Can’t Wait by Davide Cali, is an IBBY award winner and has sold more than 100,000 copies worldwide. His other credits include The Enemy, also written by Davide Cali, and several books he has written himself: Butterflies in My Stomach, You Are What You Eat, and Reach for the Stars. He divides his time between New York and Paris.
More about Serge Bloch...