Jump to ratings and reviews

Ghosts

Under the blazing cover of a post-nuclear, technology-crippled world, Sarah Coolidge is an expert at being neither seen nor heard.

She was an afterthought to her abusive parents.

She’s invisible to the criminals she works with.

And she’ll soon be the death-dealing ghost her enemies never see coming—if she can just shake loose the one person who does see her.

The one who could ruin her.

The one who gives her a reason to live.

324 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 4, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kendall Grey

29 books1,611 followers
A whale warrior, marathoner wannabe, and vodka martini aficionado, Kendall Grey is calm like an F-bomb*. She writes books about fierce women in genres ranging from erotica to urban fantasy comedy. Her aliases include Kendall Day (FALLING FOR MR. SLATER) and Seven Slade (COMING OUT).

Kendall lives off a dirt road near Atlanta, Georgia with her dashing geek husband, a one-eyed Dachshund that thinks she's a cat, and an incorrigible yet adorable mutt whose ice-blue eyes will steal your heart and hold it for ransom.

*Detonation manual not included.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Jacqui.
7 reviews
February 11, 2016
Oh, this is good

This is a first for me in this genre and it won't be my last.
It's not a secret that I love Kendall's Hard Rock Harlots series and the Hot Blooded novel. I just love how she writes. So as I stalk/follow Kendall on FB and see that she is writing a Web Serial and posting weekly on her website, for free, about a post nuclear world and a young woman's struggle with her shitty, shitty life. I thought this was not for me.
HOW STUPID AM I? STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.
Kendall wove a beautiful story of friendship, love and forgiveness with fast paced and suspenseful plot twists that makes this book Brilliant. I even cried real tears with a little hiccup sob.
I loved it and I'm so glad I one-clicked.
Profile Image for Bookish.
81 reviews7 followers
February 11, 2016
This is an amazing, incredible, surprising, outstanding story; a masterpiece written by a genius. I swear it.

Take this unbelievable and totally relevant-to-your-life journey. Totally worth the price. In fact, it's worth it at ten times the price. Trust me on this. You are going to be amazed at this story, and at Kendall Grey's masterful execution of a tale full of love and fear, pain and redemption, good and evil, truth and deception, unearned kindness and undeserved cruelty, and ultimately of finding the heart of your life and becoming whole. It's about writing your own story, doing the right thing, and finding your heart no matter where you are in your life. It's about not giving in to propaganda and the ramblings of madmen, .

The book is called GHOSTS, and it's really, really, really good. Great. Fantastic. I cannot heap enough superlatives on this book to really convey to you how utterly intense and rewarding this book was for me. As I read, I went further down Grey's rabbit hole, lined though it was with nuclear weapons, medical experiments, and secret agendas. I read eagerly, savoring the post-apocalyptic, dystopian adventures.

Parts of this book are BRILLIANT! You will read words and phrases here that will make you stop, take a breath, and really rethink things before you move on. Because this story, despite the fact that it takes place in a decidedly dark and dangerous future, is the story of everyone. Each of us has lived in hopelessness at least once, experienced misery and misfortune, sought answers, found love and connection, then lost it. It's a true story, despite the fact that it's a work of immense fiction. This story, and its truths, will haunt you.

Get. This. Book. The story is so fresh yet so recognizable. The characters are real, the plot is engrossing, and the writing is beyond stellar. Yes, it's dark. Depressing at times. Thought provoking. It's also an amazing demonstration of a writing talent that is so woefully under-appreciated it's criminal. Kendall Grey is the real deal, and GHOSTS is her tour de force.
Profile Image for Mel Shank.
408 reviews9 followers
December 31, 2016
*Read the series online each day and then was graciously given a copy by the author.... She did not even ask for a honest review but leaving one anyway.... THANK YOU!!

I follow Kendall Grey on social media and when she first talked about her project, I was intrigued.
She talked about a book written in episodes, made up of 3 acts. The first act would consist of episodes with exactly 500 words, no more, no less. I thought it was a really interesting idea and I really wanted to see if she could pull it off. I mean that is a tough thing. EXACTLY 500 words?! So, that is what started me reading Ghosts by Kendall Grey. What made me keep showing up every weekday for 3 months to read the next installment was the story, the writing , the characters, I was hooked.

Ghosts speaks to you. It is raw and full of pain, abuse, crazy post-apocalyptic fiction, and the unforgettable Sarah Coolidge. EVERY SINGLE word has meaning and the range of the emotions are intense. Love, hate, fear, pain, evil, redemption, heroism, hope, truth and so much more, is all here.

I loved every episode. Ghosts is a wonderful story but it is more than that. Breaking down the elements, expresses the true art form of writing, which Grey excels at. Ghosts is a beautifully written.
I strongly recommend Ghosts by Kendall Grey. 5+stars
Texas Hugs and Happy reading!

Profile Image for Brandi Aga.
Author 8 books151 followers
February 13, 2016
This book was good. The note in the beginning is pretty spot on. I wasn't thrilled with the first half of the book. It was good and ..out there.. but I just didn't enjoy the way it was written.

About 60% in I felt like it took direction and all clicked together.

The ending felt more meaningful to me than the entire book. I felt their emotions and everything they had been through. So for that alone I give three stars.
Profile Image for Kathi.
241 reviews2 followers
August 21, 2017
Good read, I don't even know what to say. It felt while reading that parts of this could happen. It was a little hard at first for me to follow ( there is a warning at the beginning about this) but once I got going it was a good read. Enjoyed the different genre.
Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
November 13, 2016

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

I started reading this as a serial through the author's website until life got in the way. I grabbed the book when it came out, but it has sat - like a gem - on my kindle for ages. Last night, I started reading it. I finished it in the early hours of the morning. This is easily one of my top reads for 2016.

Set in a world gone mad, Sarah Coolidge, a young woman who has seen the worst things in life. Originally on death row for murder, a catastrophe sets her free. There begins her chance at redemption. She is recruited into a military program to become a 'ghost' - a super-type soldier.

As fate would have it, Sarah meets a woman she owes a debt - a big one. As they forge a working relationship, Sarah's eyes are opened to what might have been and what could be.

Told in three Acts, the first part is non-linear. Grey does a fantastic job of interweaving past and present - filling out Sarah's backstory, but keeping things tight in the present.

The second two Acts are told in chronological fashion. The work encompasses a wide range of thematics: abuse, friendship, trust, loyalty, betrayal, the environment, and people's inhumanity to one another - on both a large scale and personal one.

Grey's sparse and accessible prose had me turning pages well into the early hours of the morning. I had to know what happened and how it all fit together.

My one criticism is that I didn't think the last chapter was necessary. I would have excluded it and left it as is. Also, huge props to Kendall Grey for another female-centric story that shows the power and friendship of women. Ghosts is a continuance of some of Grey's other works with strong female leads that bucks the trends of women depicted merely as eye candy.

Gritty, original, horrifying, heartbreaking and hilarious in parts, if you are a Sci-Fi Dystopian fan - I highly recommend this.
Profile Image for Brenda Cody.
513 reviews
March 4, 2016
This book is very different from the Hard Rock Harlots series, that's for darn sure! I love when authors expand genres like this - it's takes major cajones! Read the opening info from the author and go into the first episodes with an open mind. The first 30 or so episodes give you snippets of information and you're not sure what to do with them. Bottom line, by the first third of the book, you have a clear picture of Sarah Coolidge's young life and how horrific it was.

Ghosts takes place in Georgia and the world is an ugly place. The earth has been destroyed by solar flares and nuclear war. Sarah is 19 years old and struggles daily to survive. She lands in prison - I won't go into the details - and then a major CME or coronal mass ejection takes place that devastates the power grid and decimates much of the planet. Chaos ensues and Sarah escapes from prison only to land in the hands of the army with an offer she can't refuse.

While training in the army faction she meets Rukiya Washington. The two discover that they are linked in a way that should make them enemies, but circumstances and time leads them to create a strong bond, one that will change their lives.

I've been a fan of Grey's work for quite a while. I've read almost all of her books. Her writing is fresh, intelligent and poignant. Even the Hard Rock Harlots books, while loaded with graphic sex have an edge that gives the reader more, more complex and multidimensional characters. Ghosts is the perfect example of her talent.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.