Start by marking “The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!” as Want to Read:
The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!

The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!

From the award-winning author and illustrator of Blown Away, Rob Biddulph, comes a delightfully hilarious story about a grizzly bear named Fred who loses his GRRRRR.

Each year, for as long as the forest has stood, a contest is held for the bears of the wood… Fred is the champion. He’s the best.

But being the best takes time and training, especially when it comes to having th
Published November 1st 2016 by HarperCollins (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!

Start your review of The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His GRRRRR!
Alice (Married To Books)
Listened to the audiobook via BookBeat UK!

This was such a fun and wholesome short story about a bear trying to preparing for the loudest roaring competition, but on the day discovers that someone has stolen his roar. Very quick listen, younger listeners will love this!
Georgina Peachey
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relationships
This book would be great to use within a PSHE lesson as it centres on the importance of friends and how much they can help you, especially in your time of need. This is a great message that children need to read about.
Lena B
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is the best book ever written, everybody else can go home
Lygeri
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My children loved it!
Beth
An interesting read with a moral tale to tell - 3.5*

I liked the ideas behind the book. It isn't the most interesting book (as an adult) but I think the children in my class would really enjoy re-enacting the 'grrrrr!'

It would be useful for PSHE or just as an end of the day story. There's definitely a number of book talk questions that would arise from this book.
Ellie Morland
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, ks1
The illustrations in this book were my favourite! I also loved how the book rhymed and the many themes that arose within it. For example, friendship and loneliness. This could create a good scope for discussion and use in PSHE.
Christopher
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A super cute read-aloud about a bear who tries to find his grrrrr and finds some new friends in the process.
Brittany
Cute. I love a story that flows and rhymes
Aylea
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fred has a lot of impressive talents, but the best talent of all is that his grrrrr is the loudest of all. This means that he spends a lot of time on his own getting ready to compete, but he doesn't need friends when he's surrounded by all of his trophies and awards. When a new bear comes to try to win Fred's usual trophy and Fred wakes up one morning with no grrrrr, Fred is worried that this could be the end of his reputation as the bear with the best grrrrr. Soon new friends help Fred to find ...more
Kim
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really admire all the rhyming in this book. It's a longer picturebook with a good plot, good jokes, good illustrations, and a good ending. It's impressive that Biddulph has ALL that AND good, consistent rhyming for the entirety of the book. This book has the humor of Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen, but it also rhymes.

I like that the illustrations are a mix of full-bleeds and almost comic-style paneling. This is a great book for both reading aloud to non-readers and with those who are transitioni
Anthony
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fred is a three-peat champion of the Best Bear in the woods contest, but he thinks he doesn't need anyone, as long as he has his trophies and ribbons, but when a new challenger comes along, and Fred loses his award winning GRRRRR, he discovers that he does need friends to help him find it, to retain his championship. ...more
Two BookWorms Blog
Fred is the three-year champion of the Best Bear in the Wood Contest. He is great at fishing, hula-hooping, scaring humans and especially growling. He’s got the loudest GRRRRR of all.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...

Liz
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, picture-books
This is a great story about friendship, but can be used for a storytime about bears or sports. The text rhymes. It's very nearly too long for a preschool storytime, but worked for a group of four year olds I did today. ...more
Amanda
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully clever book about competition, friendship, and stewardship. The rhyming cadence is good for reading aloud. I'm excited to add this to my list of books to possibly read in the classroom next year or virtually. ...more
Miss Sarah
Preschool and up for length but a cute story about the champion bear Fred who winds the best bear contest every year until he looses his grrrr? Will the new bear in town beat him?
Ashley Wesner
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's silly and has a great message behind it! Even if you've lost your GRRRRR, your friends will always be by your side! ...more
Miss Ryoko
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story, super cute illustrations
Kenson and kirra
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
shows the power of friendship and working together
Katherine
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audience: 1st grade, Forest friends, those who don't think they need friends

Appeal: Rhythm/Rhyme, Bear tattoos, Pirate Bear, Sir Bear
Nanor & Co.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book with a GRRRRReat message!
Sunny
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
That bear can’t steal Grrrrr,Grrrrr is a voice not a thing!
Whitney Vestal
So cute! Great message too!
Nurul
Love this book about friendship and forgiveness.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bear
This is one of my books of the year.
Super adorable and the illustrations are so funny, (keep an eye out for the underpants).
A wonderful interactive book for kiddies at bedtime too.
GRRRRRR!
Claire
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! Fred is awesome! He makes some amazing friends and the drawings are super cute!
Paige M
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny friendship story , good for preschool storytime
Steph
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grrrrrrrreat messages in here, including my favorite pages in which his friends join in to help him out. =)
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
Super cute and am loving watching the bunnies throughout.
Dancingsocks
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations so much, the colours and shapes are fantastic. The story itself is really good but the pictures steal the show for me!
Elvira
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story of the perils of competition and the importance of friendship. Great illustrations and story and fun to read aloud.

• We Found A Hat