Start by marking “Heroes and Villains (California Dreaming #1)” as Want to Read:
Heroes and Villains (California Dreaming #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Heroes and Villains (California Dreaming #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Two lives entwined in secrets… Secrets that threaten to tear them apart before they even begin… Sophie Valentine was a girl living a privileged life, in the tranquillity of Solana Beach until she was forced to move to Brooklyn under questionable conditions. In a quiet Brooklyn neighbourhood, Benjamin Sinclair was a troubled boy, leading a secret life. When he met Sophie on ...more
Published January 27th 2016 by Xlibris AU

To ask other readers questions about Heroes and Villains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes and Villains

Wit & Wonder Books
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**ARC PROVIDED BY FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

California Dreaming……..more like Ben Dreaming

What can I say about Heroes and Villains – California Dreaming Book 1? Well, I absolutely loved it. This is first time I have ever read anything written by Stacey Johnston and she definitely did not disappoint me. California Dreaming was a well thought out story and was written exceptionally well. Well done, Stacey, well done.

The story starts off from Sophie’s point of view. She reflects on her life in Calif
Melissa (Book Addicts Reviews) Joseph
4.5 wish I was 18 again stars!! Could not put this book down!

Sophie had the life she loved by the beach until one day her dad decides they have to move to Brooklyn and they have to move now. Her dad had always been super secretive about his work so it doesn't surprise her but it sure pisses her off. First day moving in she meets this cocky boy and his band of friends. But from then on Sophie, her brother (Sean) and the band of cocky boys are all tight as they can be. Problem is she has fell har
Tianna
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heroes and Villains started off sort of slow but I understand the need to setup the background for our characters and it all made more sense later on in the book to have that setup in the beginning.

Stacey kept me on my toes with this story and when i thought I had it figured out, I was proven wrong. I love it when the twists aren't what I expect and when I can be completely surprised.

The chemistry between the characters is awesome and I was definitely on a roller coaster of emotions throughout t
Jennifer Pierson
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to make this a bit generic, because I own my limits, and my limit won't be hard to break if I don't, as spoilers will fly everywhere! Sophie Valentine had a happy life in Solana Beach, until her family had to make a quick move to Brooklyn, under suspicious circumstances. But sometimes fate works in mysterious ways, or is bored. Benjamin Sinclair is a troubled boy with a secret life. But it quickly became no secret that he wanted Sophie. There, that's it, can't say anymore, just feeling ...more
Brandy Roberts
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great start of a new series this would be my first read from Stacey Johnston and I loved it . The story line keeps my attention and the suspense keeps you moving through the story perfectly to were you aren't bored I thought it was a unique read . I liked both Sophie and Ben when they first meet you can fell the steam coming off my kindle the definitely have a lot of chemistry loved the banter between them . I cant wait to read more from this author copy provided for honest review.
*******
Lisa White
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of reading this book as an ARC. I have been in a book slump and this was the book that brought me out. Starts off with that slow build and then hits you with twists and more. Easy to read, great pace, great story line, great chemisty of the charaters. Loved it!!
Tee
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A story of two young lovers finding their way. At times life throws some serious curve balls and it makes you wonder if it is at all possible to find a happy ending. But true love will always find a way.
A great story by Stacey Johnston and I am looking forward to reading her next offering.
2OCC Reviews
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jessica
I really liked this book. It was a crazy mix of mystery and suspense that kept me glued unable to look away.

I really liked both Ben and Spophia. They were a perfect match for each other and we're both strong in their own rights. I love that eve with everything they go through, their feeling stay strong even when it was hard.

The plot was very twisty, but at the same time you can't wait to see what the author is going to unleash. It's hard to talk about it with out giving too much away.

There wa
Abrianna
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first dived into Heroes and Villains. I'm not one to look at reviews before hand, I tend to disagree with the majority and laugh at people who are dead wrong. I know it's bad to judge others and their reading preference, but some get focused on one little thing and it drives their whole review.

Many of the reviews, I noticed said that this book started off slow. I don't think so. To me slow is where it takes for-fucking-ever for the characters to get their shi
Paula Genereau
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sophie was living the life on a beach in her city but when's she's forced to move she meets her neighbor Benjamin. These two become friends and everything goes crazy. What will happen?
Angie Mitchell
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Arc received for an honest review
When I received the Arc I was advised that there were still some edits that needed to be ironed out there were a few but nothing horrendous.
There is a bit of Aussie slang but again nothing that would detract from the story.
Overall the storyline is okay and there is lots going on from all the different parties.
Tangled webs and hidden secrets it does all unfold along the way.
I would of liked this to have a slightly faster pace as there is so much going on and I did
Kirsty O'Brien
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, arc
Heroes and Villains is a great read to start off with on a Sunday evening with a cup of tea. It does have a slow start but it's needed to get to know the characters and what there about. This is the first time I've ever read a story written by Stacey Johnston and I wasn't disappointed. Well done Stacey!

Without telling you the spoilers; this book has suspense that killed me and left me wondering what could possibly happen next? Sophie and Ben were old souls trapped inside teenage bodies and I lo
Stephanie  Mae
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book, it was freaking awesome. We meet so many characters in this book, and they all play a major roll, that I loved everyone of them well except the villains of course. So we have our main hero and heroine, Sophie and Ben aka Sweet one and blue-eyed handsome boy, I have to say these two separately were great characters but bring them together and its explosive.

There were lots of twists and turns in this book, I will not spoil it you have to read for yourselves. Hot, h
Gina Paulus
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sophie and Ben:
young lovers with one of them hiding a huge secret.

Sean:
Sophie's younger brother who is hiding a few secrets of his own.

Ant and Hawke :
Sophie's Dad and his Partner who know way more then they are letting on.

Ben, Luke, Kyle, and Stephen:
4 best friends with a special bond and a secret that not only can ruin their lives but the lives of Sophie & Sean as well. The boys have tried to stay away from Sophie & Sean but nobody counted on how close they have become.They have forged
Juli Faulkner
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was filled with lots of mystery and suspense! Ben, Stephen, Kyle, and Luke, living in Brooklyn , together they have a secret. Sophia and Sean find themselves uprooted by their parents, to move to Brooklyn. Sean and their dad has secrets too. Sophia and Ben have an instant attraction to each other and sparks fly between them. Sophia is spunky and has a mind of her own! Ben and Sophia, are soulmates and have fallen in love! But danger lurks around the corner! Ms Johnston keeps you in sus ...more
Judy Miracle
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book starts with a slow build but it doesn't mean its a slow book at all. It gives you a bit of background and kind of has you guessing multiple things within the first chapter that will keep you interested. Stacey has a way of keeping you in suspense and when you think you know what is goin on you are proven completely wrong.

the connection and chemistry between Ben and Sophie is undeniable from the first time they meet. But can the relationship last? Or will secrets and Ben's past come be
Kim Richards
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky and got an ARC for this book.
It really is a good book. Stacey Johnson did a brilliant job writing this book.
I was pulled into the story right from the beginning, which is something I need or I can't finish them.
This book will have you on the edge of your seat in parts, things happen in this book that you wouldn't expect and will surprise you. I could picture what the characters looked like in my head and the places that are also mentioned in the book which personally I think makes th
Belinda Donaldson
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow what a rollercoaster of a emotional book.

Sophie's life was uprooted in one night by her father's decision to move from Solana Beach to sketchy part of Brooklyn without any explanation.

On her first day there she meets 4 boys Luke, Kyle, Stephen and Ben.
It's Ben's blue eyes that draw her in.

She quickly discovers the guys are a keeping a secret and her father knows what it is but refuses to tell her.

Sophie and Ben are taken on a whirlwind adventure of love, revenge, betrayal and death to get th
Ashley Westphall-carr
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Johnston is a new author to me and I didn't know what to expect. The synopsis intrigued me so I took a chance. It starts off slowly but it sets up the background information. Once Sophie meets Ben it takes off from there.

Sophie moves to Brooklyn from her privileged life in California. When she meets Ben on her first day there the attraction and chemistry is instantaneous. Ben loves her sassy attitude and the two become inseparable. But Ben has secrets that he cannot share. Will his relatio
Lynne Hughes
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and, although a couple of things bothered me whilst reading - the language was little stilted (almost no contractions such as "I'm", "you're", etc were used) and the odd lapse into Aussie slang that was incongruous with California and Brooklyn,- these were more failings on the part of the editor.
The book itself was gripping with lots of twists and turns and plenty of excitement. There is huge scope in the characters and storylines this for the rest of the series and I
Chasidy
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

This is my first story from Stacey. I really enjoyed the book and can't wait to read the others in the series.
Ben and Sophie have chemistry from the very first encounter. I couldn't wait to see how their story unfolded. Will his severed from his post keep then apart?
This book definitely kept me guessing. Each time I thought I had it figured out, it took another turn. I found myself lost in the story very easily. It's a story about love, family secrets, mystery, and overcoming difficu
Wendy Livingstone
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thoroughly enjoyed this story which is full of mystery and suspense. No spoilers from me, but if you enjoy good banter from the characters, as well as a lot of action and romance, then this is the book for you, don’t miss out on a great read. Cannot wait to read more of Stacey’s work. Will definitely by adding this author to my favourites for 1 clicking. Well done Stacey on a great read.
Lisa Anderson
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great first effort by Stacey, I liked the storyline and I liked the characters. I will definitely like to read the next book to see what happens to them all. I did find the very beginning of the book a little slow but it picks up and then it all happens, action, romance, suspense etc, really enjoyed it. I would love to read more by this author and I am sure with each book she will just get better and better.
Catherine  Wright (Cat's Guilty Pleasure)
I was definitely kept on my toes with this one. I really thought I had everything figued out and then another twist would come and blow my theory out of the water. I love when a book can keep my guessing all the way until the end. I loved the chemistry between the characters and the emotional ride you take is amazing.
C.  (Christy)
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing book full of surprises and plot twists. I loved the chemistry between Sophie and Ben, and the secondary characters were entertaining and added to the story. I couldn’t put it down. Great read!
Jessica Kloss
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Ben and Sophie right from the get go. Reading this book I thought I knew what was to come, but Stacey did a great job of throwing in some curve balls. Should you read this book? Definitely!
Angie
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
really liked this book about young love and being told by both parties. looking forward to the next book in the series
Shelly Wexell
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Loved the whole concept of the book. Chemistry of Ben and Sophie was fantastic. Wish my sex life was that strong. Lol. Can't wait to read the rest of her books! Definitely a fan!!
Tracy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great story!!! just when I thought I had it figured out things changed! love these characters and the chemistry between them
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
OK. ... I liked the idea for the plot... but this book took me a while to read...

the characters talked so formally it took away from personalities for me... ex of what im talking about "i cannot think straight"..."I cannot believe everything this happened" rather than "I can't think straight ..."

the obvious things stated that probably didn't have to be stated... such as being shocked something suddenly happened then telling us you were suddenly shocked because you weren't paying attention. ..ob
What to tell you about myself??
When I sat down to set about the challenge of what I could say, I found that I didn’t really consider myself to be very interesting at all.
I’ve lived in Western Australia my whole life, only ever leaving the country once. Right now though I reside in a southern suburb close to the beach.
Above everything else I’m a wife and a mother. I’ve been married to a man I beli
More about Stacey Johnston...

California Dreaming (3 books)
  • Sins of the Father (California Dreaming #2)
  • After the Dust Settles (California Dreaming #3)