Jump to ratings and reviews

A Week of Mondays

When I made the wish, I just wanted a do-over. Another chance to make things right. I never, in a million years, thought it might actually come true...

Sixteen-year-old Ellison Sparks is having a serious case of the Mondays. She gets a ticket for running a red light, she manages to take the world’s worst school picture, she bombs softball try-outs and her class election speech (note to self: never trust a cheerleader when she swears there are no nuts in her bake-sale banana bread), and to top it all off, Tristan, her gorgeous rocker boyfriend suddenly dumps her. For no good reason!

As far as Mondays go, it doesn’t get much worse than this. And Ellie is positive that if she could just do it all over again, she would get it right. So when she wakes up the next morning to find she’s reliving the exact same day, she knows what she has to do: stop her boyfriend from breaking up with her. But it seems no matter how many do-overs she gets or how hard Ellie tries to repair her relationship, Tristan always seems bent set on ending it. Will Ellie ever figure out how to fix this broken day? Or will she be stuck in this nightmare of a Monday forever?

From the author of 52 Reasons to Hate My Father and The Unremembered trilogy comes a hilarious and heartwarming story about second (and third and fourth and fifth) chances. Because sometimes it takes a whole week of Mondays to figure out what you really want.

465 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 2, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jessica Brody

50 books2,570 followers
Jessica Brody is the author of more than 20 novels for teens, tweens, and adults including The Geography of Lost Things, The Chaos of Standing Still, Amelia Gray is Almost Okay, A Week of Mondays, 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, the Unremembered trilogy, and the System Divine trilogy which is a sci-fi reimagining of Victor Hugo's Les Misérables, co-written with Joanne Rendell. She’s also the author of the #1 bestselling novel-writing guides, Save the Cat! Writes a Novel and Save the Cat! Writes a Young Adult Novel as well as several books based on popular Disney franchises like Descendants and LEGO Disney Princess. Jessica’s books have been translated and published in over 20 languages and several have been optioned for film and television. She’s the founder of the Writing Mastery Academy and lives with her husband and three dogs near Portland, OR.

Visit her online at JessicaBrody.com or WritingMastery.com. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram @JessicaBrody

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
226 (5%)
1 star
77 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 715 reviews
Profile Image for Maureen.
484 reviews4,218 followers
October 23, 2017
For me, this was like a better version of Before I Fall. Because i strongly dislike that book.
This book was so great and I loved the journey Ellie took to get to know herself and what she truly wanted. WE ALSO GET MY FAVE TROPE GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Overall, a really sweet read. I basically sped through it because it was addicting as HECK. definitely would recommend.
Profile Image for Alyssa.
1,069 reviews838 followers
August 16, 2016
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Publication Date: August 2, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

From the author 52 Reasons to Hate My Father and The Unremembered trilogy comes a hilarious and heartwarming story about second (and third and fourth and fifth) chances. Because sometimes it takes a whole week of Mondays to figure out what you really want.

What I Liked:

I've read one book by Brody - 52 Reasons To Hate My Father - and I really liked it. So I was looking forward to reading this new contemporary by Brody, especially when I saw that it had an interesting twist to it. Experiencing Monday over and over? That sucks! Until Ellie gets it right.

Ellie had a really bad Monday - she runs a red light, she forgets an umbrella, her election speech goes terribly, and her boyfriend breaks up with her. She just wants a do-over, and surprise! She wakes up the next day and it's still Monday. She does not realize it at first, but it becomes clear that she is stuck on Monday again, and it's just her that is experiencing this. But day after day, Monday after Monday, Ellie's boyfriend still breaks up with her. And the next day is still Monday. Will she be stuck experiencing this Monday, or will she get it right?

Brody definitely knows how to write a wonderful contemporary novel! Light and cute, this story was well-developed and intriguing, deceptively long though it read very quickly. I was eagerly turning pages, trying to figure out why Ellie kept experiencing her terrible Monday.

Ellie is a overachieving student, who is on the student government, will be on the softball team, has top grades and hard classes, and revels in her busy academic and social life. You can tell she's a dedicated student, as well as girlfriend. I liked Ellie a lot! She's in denial when Tristan breaks up with her, because he doesn't give a good reason as to why. As much as I didn't like Tristan, I liked how hard Ellie fought for her boyfriend.

Each Monday that Ellie experienced was very different from the first. The original, first Monday was awful. The second Monday was confusing. The Mondays after those were different, each crazier than the previous. Ellie grows a lot during and after each Monday. While this book takes place in just seven days, Ellie matures a great deal after each day. It's like she isn't allowed to go to Tuesday until she gets it right.

I already mentioned that I didn't like Tristan, and it's hard to like him. He's a secondary character, with a role that seems important to the story. But it's clear that he isn't as important as we think, because he doesn't have a ton of depth. The male character that DOES have good depth...

Owen. Owen is Ellie's best friend since middle school. Ellie picks him up in the morning to go to school every morning, which is where we see most of their interactions. Owen is the first and only person that Ellie tells about her repeating Monday situation. I liked him a lot - he's a little strange and quirky, but he's a perfect friend and a sweet guy. And (spoiler) a great love interest.

As we know from the synopsis, Tristan keeps breaking up with Ellie. But for the entire book, she's trying to get him to stay with her. But you can tell, as the book goes on, that she becomes less interested in Tristan and his antics. And she starts to realize that she has feelings for her best friend. I didn't see this as a love triangle, but that's subjective.

The ending is pretty great! I liked seeing Ellie's growth, in her academic life, her personal life, and her familial life. I especially like the romance in the end. But this contemporary novel had it all! Such a great story with positive relationships and a cute romance.

What I Did Not Like:

I wanted more Owen time and less I-need-to-stop-Tristan-from-breaking-up-with-me time. Not that what was written was bad! But I wanted more with Owen. Oweeeeen!

Would I Recommend It:

If you like cute contemporary, this is a great one! Jessica Brody seems to write some great stories, contemporary especially. I recommend this one, or 52 Reasons to Hate My Father!

Rating:

4 stars. This one was a long one, but a good one! It's as light and feel-good as you think it might be. I might not be in high school anymore, but I really connected with Ellie and her struggles, and I loved seeing her grow. Here's to Mondays!

Initial reactions, upon finishing the book:

I'll be posting my review on August 14th. But in the meantime, I'll write a few short thoughts.

I LOVED this book! There are seven parts, starting with the First Monday, and then Second Monday, Third Monday, all the way to the Seventh Monday. Ellie survives Monday, only to wake up the next day and realize that it's still Monday. She catches on after the Second Monday. She's very focused on using her second chances to make things right - with her boyfriend, who breaks up with her at the end of the First Monday. But it's not as easy as that - at the end of the next Monday, he still breaks up with her. So, what if keeping Tristan from breaking up with her isn't what she needs to make right? What if there is more to it? This book isn't solely focused on Ellie's relationship with Tristan - there is focus on Ellie's parents, Ellie and her sister, Ellie and her best friend Owen... I love how Brody crafts and develops characters, and relationships. There is NO love triangle in this book, but it depends on how you might see things. I don't see one. I'm very happy with the romance although I wish there was more than one kissy scene, and I wish it wasn't JUST at the end. But then, I see why Brody only had the one kissy scene, and it was at the end. Anyway, I would totally recommend this book, especially to YA contemporary fans! I'm not a YA contemporary fan but I liked Brody's 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, and I knew this one would be very sweet and enjoyable and positive as well. And it was!

Full review to come on August 14th.
Profile Image for Norah Una Sumner.
845 reviews446 followers
March 25, 2017
description

I’ve been a fan of Jessica Brody ever since I’ve read her phenomenal and heart-shattering Unremembered trilogy two years ago (Unremembered, Unforgotten, Unchanged reviews) so, naturally, I was SO excited when I’ve read the blurb for this contemporary young adult book. Yes, it does remind me of Before I Fall, but luckily for me I loved both of these books. I can honestly say that this is Jessica’s best book to this date. It was fun, heart-breaking, funny, heart-warming and just left me feeling all kinds of things.

Ellison is a great character and I absolutely loved reading all about her Monday adventures and seeing her develop so much throughout the book. The setting and the atmosphere were fantastic as well and I loved how E’s relationship with her sister developed. The romance… YES. I LOVED IT.

Man, I really needed this book in my life. Thank you Jessica.

You can read this review on BookishFever
Profile Image for Aj the Ravenous Reader.
1,005 reviews1,050 followers
October 31, 2019
This is like the romantic-comedy version of Before I Fall. I didn’t expect to enjoy it this much. I read it in a breeze. I mean 451 pages for a romantic contemporary YA is quite long but it didn’t feel long because the entire story is very entertaining, pretty funny too. There were plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.

Admittedly the plot may seem already familiar because Ellie gets literally A Week of Mondays as she wakes up every day the same day for an entire week having to go over all her failures including her rock star of a boyfriend breaking up with her.

But Ellie is quite a refreshing, quirky in that believable and adorable way character and her easy admirable friendship with her also charming (and possibly something else, ahem!) best friend, Owen, is too endearing making the plot very hard to resist. It’s fun anticipating the next plan she concocts for the next Monday she wakes up to try and make things right.

This is the kind of read I would recommend if you’re looking for an easy, fluffy and entertaining story to read on a lazy weekend to go perfectly along with your hot milk and choco-chip cookies.
Profile Image for Prabhjot Kaur (Away).
1,030 reviews134 followers
March 25, 2021
Updated 26/04/2020 - I read this book once every year since I first read it. It has become my annual ritual for some reason. I keep on falling in love with this book over and over and over. Below is the review from my first time reading it.

I was in for a pleasant surprise. I picked this book up from my local library and decided to give it a go. I'm so glad that I did as I loved this week of Mondays.

Ellie is a sixteen year old girl who's had a fight with her gorgeous boyfriend, Tristan and she's afraid that Tristan is going to break it off with her. But she's gonna have to deal with it along with the worst Monday she's had. She does everything that she can to make Tristan forget about the fight they had but fails and Tristan breaks up with her by the end of the day. Obviously Ellie is shattered and devastated but gets through the night and wakes up in the morning to find that it's yet another Monday and she has the chance to do things differently and make Tristan stay with her after all. She does everything differently but Tristan still ends up breaking up with her. Ellie finds herself stuck in that Monday until she realises what she needs to do to get out of this time loop.

I adored Owen. He's such a great friend and I love friends to romance stories.

I laughed out loud and had tears in my eyes at the allergy scene, I know I shouldn't be laughing but I promise you I'm not insensitive but the way Jessica Brody explained the whole thing had me in splits.

It was a predictable story but I still loved it. To all the people who love light, funny, friends to romance and sweet stories, please read this.

5 stars
Profile Image for Odette Brethouwer.
1,359 reviews233 followers
October 13, 2016
Oh, I love this book. It is a really cute concept, (this is not a spoiler it is on the back of the book and the essence of the story) to relieve a bad monday again. I can imagine her confusion the first day, her frustration another.. It is really well written. You really get inside her head, and I can see myself travelling the same train of thought. Also, for the Dutchies: the translation is done really well! And I love the Dutch cover :)

There is something else special for me to this book, but I cannot talk about it without spoiling, so yay for the Goodreads spoiler tag!

I really enjoyed reading this book and I highly recommend it! I only do advise reading it on holiday or in a weekend. I read it during a workday and it is that I had work to do that really needed to be done today (freelance work can be like that..), but if I was still at school or had another kind of job or workday, I would probably have called in sick to be able to finish this XD
Profile Image for Jessica Khoury.
Author 22 books2,410 followers
February 24, 2016
A WEEK OF MONDAYS is compulsively readable; I raced through its 400+ pages in a day and LOVED every minute! Couldn’t read it fast enough. Jessica Brody’s writing is addictive and engaging, truly a delight to savor!

Ellie is a wonderful heroine: funny, relatable, and believable, she guides us through her week of Mondays and their increasingly hilarious outcomes. Her reactions and dialogue had me giggling as I read! And I was definitely cheering for her, especially during the wholly satisfying finale.

Such a clever novel, masterfully plotted and deliciously delivered! 5/5 stars!

description
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,671 reviews702 followers
July 3, 2016
We all know that I'm super particular about my contemps, but I loved the idea of this and plus it's Jessica, so I was sold.

Love love loved overachieving Ellie. She's smart and snarky and maybe a bit unsure of who she really is. By the end of the book, we've seen all sorts of Ellies and it's amusing to see who she tries to be and who she finally becomes. Tristan and Owen are both adorable for different reasons.

The plot is fun, especially seeing how Ellie's decisions change throughout the day. I absolutely would have loved an epilogue or something more after the last chapter, but it was perfect the way it was.

Overall, it was a fun and quick read.

**Huge thanks to Macmillan for providing the arc in
exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for  ••Camila Roy••.
161 reviews49 followers
March 22, 2018
RATING: 4/5

Wow this was good! I’d pretty much given up on high school books being more than fun/entertaining but this was surprisingly smart and different.

While reading I couldn’t stop thinking about how this would make a great movie! Sure it would be cheesy but I would watch it several times 😂. Props to the author for referencing The Breakfast Club😍
Profile Image for Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe).
530 reviews458 followers
January 12, 2018
Sixteen-year-old Ellison Sparks is having the worse kind of Monday. She gets a ticket for running a red light, takes a really bad school picture, fails at her softball try-outs and her class election speech, and to top of the day, her boyfriend Tristan dumps her with a lame excuse.

Defeated Ellison thinks she can do better and wishes for a do-over, what she doesn’t expect was to experience the same day over and over again with a chance to make it better for herself.

This was cute and a bit of a reminiscence of groundhog day. I liked the storyline a lot and that the author chose to use that kind of inspiration in a young adult novel not only to grow her character but also to teach a less.

Be yourself and do what makes you happy and hopefully everything falls into place.

Ellison was a bit frustrating at first, but she was a teenage girl who gets dumped by her popular rock star boyfriend and she has no idea why. Suddenly, when presented the chance to fix her day, Ellison seems to think that the only way she can break this cycle is if she can keep Tristian from breaking up with her. While doing that, she forms a rocky relationship with her best friend Owen when she tries to focus so hard on getting what she thinks she wants, versus what she really wants.

I liked that Ellison grew as a character, despite the little flop in the end that made me grate my teeth a little – but I loved the way things turned out and how she used the day not only to better herself but to also help fix her family life and her relationship with Owen.

I loved Owen in this book and wish there would have been more of him, but their relationship just ended up being so cute and heart-melting that it made it a stronger enjoyable part of the book.

Overall, this is a sweet, cute, YA Contemporary that I enjoyed from page one till the end and I am glad it teaches a lesson about discovering who you are and what really makes you happy and not just letting people influence you.
Profile Image for Jaime Arkin.
1,417 reviews1,333 followers
July 18, 2016
If you think your Monday’s are bad, you’ve got nothing on Ellison Sparks and her day from hell. A ticket for running a red light, a horrible school picture, messing up softball tryouts, a bombed election speech and then the cherry on top… her boyfriend suddenly dumping her all have her wishing she could just do the day all over again and get everything right… and keep Tristan from breaking her heart. So when she wakes up on what she thinks is Tuesday, it’s like déjà vu… until she realizes that it really is Monday again, and this is the chance she needs to fix everything.

I’m going to be honest you guys… I saw the size of this book and I cringed. I immediately wondered if reliving the same day, 7 times was necessary… was this going to bore me after day three? The answer is an emphatic NO and yes all 7 days are necessary! For a contemporary it’s got a lot of pages, but please don’t let that dissuade you from picking it up. It truly doesn’t read like a 400 plus page book. In fact, I think I read this in less than 24 hours, mostly because I couldn’t put it down.

Ellie is such an interesting character. She’s one of those people who are constantly giving and worried more about the people around her and making sure they are happy, than doing the things that make her happy and doing things for herself. It was so fun to go on this journey with her and see her come to some pretty big realizations about herself.

As a fan of Groundhog Day (the movie), I knew I was going to enjoy this book, and Brody didn’t disappoint. I love that while each day brings her closer to figuring out the things she needs to adjust and change, she tries out different versions of herself as well. I mean, I would love to be able to do some of the things she tries and know that there will be no consequences to it when I wake up the next morning, but I was also nervous on some of those days because ‘what if’ she didn’t have unlimited chances to do it.

Of course there are boys… yes that was plural. There’s the boyfriend Tristan who Ellie is convinced she is supposed to figure out how to keep from breaking up with her. He’s a bit of a cliché and while I tried to like him, he just didn’t compare. Compare to whom you ask? The answer to that is Owen… sweet, kind, wonderful Owen. Owen is Ellie’s best friend and I couldn’t help but start swooning over him from the moment he gets into her car on the very first Monday. Their relationship is so fun and sweet and he’s just the best and I dare you not to fall for him. While his feelings are somewhat apparent to us readers, Ellie is a little blind in that department, but through the evolution of Monday’s we get to see their friendship grow and develop further and I just loved it.

Overall a fun and entertaining read that I just couldn’t put down. If you’re a fan of stories of growth and self-realization… if you’re a fan of getting the chance to do things over and you loved the movie Groundhog Day, then you’re going to want to pick this one up as soon as possible. I think you’ll love it just as much as I did.

Thanks to the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Hilly.
684 reviews1,220 followers
June 29, 2018
The truth is, we are never just one thing. We all have many titles and many labels, but far too often, we get trapped inside a single definition. The Teacher's Pet, the Rule Follower, the Cheerleader, the Athlete, the Princess, the Basket Case, the Criminal... the Rock Star's Girlfriend. Whether we wrote that definition or it was given to us, it somehow becomes our only identity. We get so lost in it that we forget about all the other pieces that make up who we are.

Only Jessica Brody can manage to create books that feel like movies. And this is a thing that I just love to the moon and back. I am a sucker for teen movies, especially the ones that involve a superior final achievement brought to life by something that in the beginning is forced on the main character, and that with time grows on her/him.
Here I absolutely loved the concept of the day repeating itself, not only because it's one of my favorite, but also because Jessica made it even more amazing with every character and every choice.
This was one of my most anticipated releases of this year and finally I can say that my expectations were met and totally exceeded too.

Ellie was such a fun character to follow. She's strong, passionate, funny. She grew on me and then I just wished I was her.
Owen was such a cinnamon roll, Tristan was not so bad, and everyone else's characterization was also on point.

Also, the progression of the Mondays was hilarious. Elle goes from good girl to bad girl in about four days, and I enjoyed so much following these changes. When she went crazy I cracked up every page. Poor Owen and her parents and her sister and the others. A hurricane like that is difficult to stop hahah

So. Everything was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.
I just wish more people would read Jessica's books.
Profile Image for Serisop.
791 reviews163 followers
December 9, 2018
Scrivere questa recensione mi costa un pezzo di cuore, così come mi è costato un altro pezzo di cuore finire di leggere questo libro.
Non ho altre parole con cui definirlo se non "meraviglioso".
"Odio i lunedì" di Jessica Brody non ha una trama che spicca per originalità - una giornata che si ripete finché la protagonista non agisce nel modo giusto, l'abbiamo già sentita giusto? -, ma sicuramente spicca per tante altre cose. Tantissime cose. Così tante cose che non sono riuscita a trovare neanche un difetto a questo libro.
Mi sono piaciuti tantissimo i personaggi, con tutti i loro difetti e le loro debolezze e decisioni sbagliate. Mi è piaciuto tantissimo lo stile di scrittura, infatti il libro ha 550 pagine che volano letteralmente. Mi è piaciuta tanto la storia d'amore totalmente sbagliata che viene narrata nel libro e il modo in cui l'autrice fa arrivare ai lettori il messaggio secondo cui non si deve mai cambiare per piacere a qualcun altro.
Essere se stessi va benissimo, qualcuno ci apprezzerà per come siamo e quel qualcuno sarà il giusto qualcuno.
Magari non troveremo mai quel qualcuno, ma sarà comunque meglio che passare una vita a fingere di essere una persona che non siamo.
Ho davvero adorato questo romanzo e vi consiglio di leggerlo. Era tanto che non leggevo un bel contemporary. L'ho divorato.
Profile Image for alexandra.
229 reviews1,510 followers
September 3, 2020
3.5/5 ♡ this book was adorable, entertaining, and fun, but also frustrating at times.

i'm not sure if i'm getting tired of YA romance, but this wasn't as enjoyable as i thought it'd be. the characters and situations felt as if they were taken out of a disney channel show. it made me laugh and smile at first, but after a while it became draggy. it was really unrealistic. but sometimes, you NEED those types of stories so i appreciated it nonetheless.

i love the concept and idea behind the plot. reliving one day until it's perfect? and when it becomes perfect, being forced to relive it because your idea of "perfect" still wasn't quite right? this is a book that's all about ~finding yourself~ and understanding who and what matters in your life. people will come and go; knowing who is important to you now is a great thing to recognize.

although the characters could be annoying and the situations could be artificial, i really enjoyed myself! the story was really fun and easy to get into, and it often felt like i was watching a movie. the book did feel a bit long at times, but i still finished it really quickly and easily. a great read if you're looking for something lighthearted and cute!
Profile Image for Sylvie .
600 reviews792 followers
February 2, 2020
Jessica Brody is my new Morgan Matson.

I just love how cheesy and cute this book was. Also any book that's even a little bit like the Groundhog day is an instant like for me.

This was my second book by this author and each one was cuter than the other, definitely looking forward to her other books.
Profile Image for starryeyedjen.
1,640 reviews1,231 followers
August 8, 2016
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

Somehow, I have the entire Unremembered trilogy on my shelves and yet I've never read it. So, this was my first Jessica Brody novel. Not a bad place to start, though, because this book was all kinds of adorable. It's the kind of story that my fantasy-loving heart would have remarked upon as insubstantial a few years back, but now I find myself gravitating toward lighter, fluffier reads as a palate-cleanser in between darker, more in-depth fare.

I found A Week of Mondays to be clever yet predictable but ultimately enjoyable. It was compulsively readable and had me turning pages well into the night. This might have actually been one of the last novels I finished reading in less than a week. I was just thoroughly entertained and having so much fun with it.

I loved reading Ellie's journey of self-discovery, learning who she was and not just how everyone else saw her. Ellie is snarky and self-deprecating and yeah, a little melodramatic when it comes to her love life. And though I wasn't completely on board with her plan to make Monday her bitch and win back the so-called guy of her dreams, I did enjoy seeing her grow into her own person by the end of the story.

And regarding the so-called guy of her dreams, I don't think I've ever met a character named Tristan that I actually liked. Ever. And Ellie's rock-god boyfriend Tristan is no different. But I would have actually hated the guy in this book if it were not for those When We Were Us chapters in between each Monday. Those bits of insight into how they met and how they were together made me see why Ellie would fight so hard to hold onto the guy.

A Week of Mondays was every bit as Groundhog Day-ish as I expected and just as funny. Plus, it was super cute. The MC was a little hard to like in the beginning but she really grew on me. I wish there had been a little more substance to the ending, but all in all, I really enjoyed this novel. It totally gave me the warm and fuzzies. :) Though I don't think I'll ever learn to love Mondays.

Instagram

GIF it to me straight:
Profile Image for Amy Leigh.
327 reviews38 followers
April 25, 2018
This book was cute! It was a quick read, only prolonged for me bc I am reading several books atm. It made me think of Groundhog Day. It was a different kind of coming of age story because she has to live the same day over & over to figure things out. Tristan was awful in my opinion.

Ellison has a terrible, terrible day. Everything that could did go wrong. She wakes up after making a wish to get a do over to find out that it's Monday again. She does everything she can to change the outcome each Monday but in the end I think she learns a lot more about herself and what she wants to do with her life. Monday continues to repeat itself but she doesn't repeat everything. Will her outcome be the one she wants and can she stop her day from repeating?
Profile Image for The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori).
1,150 reviews1,289 followers
March 2, 2020
Full Review on The Candid Cover

4.5 Stars

A Week of Mondays is quick and cute read for the summer. The concept is so unique and the main character is very relatable. One of my favourite things about the book is the epic friendship between Ellie and Owen. Everything about this book is so fun!

This book has such an interesting concept! Basically, it is about a girl who has the worst Monday ever. However, when she wakes up the next day (and each day after that for an entire week), she gets the chance to fix everything. I loved reading about how Ellie relives each Monday in a completely different way. Sometimes she goes wild, and other days, she attempts to explain the situation. This book is honestly such a fun read.

I really liked Ellie’s character in A Week of Mondays. The fact that she is so experimental with how she fixes everything was so intriguing. Ellie also has great music taste and creates playlists for each of her moods. I found her to be so relatable and the perfect narrator for a book like this.

In this novel, there is a strong friendship, which I always like to see. Ellie and Owen are actually goals and the amount of trust between them is admirable. I mean, Owen actually believes Ellie when she tells him about her Monday situation. Their relationship was absolutely adorable and I couldn’t help but smile to myself when they were together.

A Week of Mondays is such a cute read for summer. The main character is relatable and creates the best playlists. I loved Ellie and Owen’s friendship and how trusting they are. I would definitely recommend this book!
Profile Image for Evelyn Evertsen-Romp.
1,193 reviews58 followers
December 18, 2016
toen dit boek verscheen, wist ik instinctief dat ik m móest hebben. en: wat een geweldig boek is dit. heb er zo langzaam mogelijk in gelezen, want wilde echt niet dat het op zou zijn. ik kon wel raden hoe het ongeveer zou gaan eindigen, maar dat was ook meteen het enige dat eraan te voorspellen viel.
ellison maakt van die echt logische keuzes, ze reageert altijd zoals een echt, normaal denkend mens zou reageren. ik kon iedere keer volledig meegaan met wat zij deed of zei.
ik vond het een erg grappig verhaal, maar de onderliggende laag vond ik nog véél bewonderenswaardiger, er zit echt diepgang in dit verhaal, en het maakt niet uit hoe oud je bent, aan deze les hebben we allemaal iets - lezen dus, deze nieuwe topper van Blossom Books.
dit is er eentje om vaak te herlezen.
Profile Image for spring ~♡.
377 reviews440 followers
October 6, 2022
You know how they say the books you keep putting off are the ones that become your favourite?
That theory is true. Because I've been dodging this book since before I can remember. And now look at me. Stayed up the whole night, ditching classes to finish this, and I have zero regrets.

I might be a little bit biased because I have a weak spot for time loops. If you write the trashiest book of all time but with the time loop trope, trust me I will buy like ten copies. Plus the way time loop trope in books are as rare as getting stuck into one in your life.

Anyways, about the book, it was funny? The writing was super enjoyable and the humor was chief's kiss. The romance was sooooooo cute. I love best friends to lovers when they are well done. This one had everything I asked for and more.
The protagonist was a bit annoying from time to time. Also, the author kinda slut shamed Taylor Swift but I've decided to ignore that since it was 2016 and the book is well, so good.

Also, please read it. Even if you don't, that's great too, because I also wanna gatekeep.
Profile Image for Ivonne Rovira.
1,840 reviews188 followers
July 29, 2016
Take the 1993 film Groundhog Day, move it to an upper-middle-class high school, and substitute pretty, plucky 16-year-old Ellison “Ellie” Sparks for cynical, narcissistic Bill Murray, and you have Jessica Brody’s A Week of Mondays.

It had so many possibilities: a YA remake of a hilarious classic. Brody uses the titles of classic songs for each chapter, a very clever touch. It could have been great. But the laughs are few, and the clichés are many: plucky overachiever Ellie, dreamy blond boyfriend Tristan Wheeler (name right out of a soap opera), bratty 13-year-old sister Hadley, clueless parents, goofy but lovable best friend Owen Reitzman; scheming, jealous cheerleader Daphne Gray. If Brody missed a cliché, I couldn’t think of it.

A book like this one telegraphs its destination almost immediately, so it’s important that readers enjoy the ride. Readers know the ending by the end of the third chapter. That’s why I took it as a bad sign that I was getting restless during the first Monday. By the time Ellie had relived Monday twice more, it felt like a month of Mondays, and I would have bailed if I hadn’t gotten this book from NetGalley. I liked Ellison enough to lift this book to two stars; to continue the riding metaphor, it’s just that I’d like to see her in a different vehicle.

In the interest of full disclosure, I received this book from NetGalley, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, and Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Brittany S..
1,374 reviews693 followers
August 12, 2016
Initial Impressions 7/30/16: 3.75 - 4 stars
It started off a bit too cutesy and still remained light/fun throughout but the ending was just perfection. I loved the Groundhog Day feel and the book was easy to breeze through! It was my first contemporary from Jessica Brody (I read her sci-fi trilogy, Unremembered) and it was fun! A bit too goofy at times for me but it was a really cute book.

Full review as originally posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide 8/2/16: It's Groundhog Daaayyy! (I hope you said that like the radio announcers in the movie...) But no, even worse... IT'S MONDAY and Ellison Sparks can't get past the worst day of the week which incidentally is about the worst day of her life. From boy issues to mean girls to family affairs, Ellie Sparks is having a tough Monday and in A WEEK OF MONDAYS, she has to do it all over again until she gets it right.

This was my first contemporary book from Jessica Brody after having read her Unremembered series which was sci-fi so I wasn't quite sure what to expect! Some authors have a tone that carries throughout their novels no matter what the genre is and others completely change depending on the characters they're writing. I feel like I was able to pick out some of that humor that I'd seen in Unremembered that really had me enjoying the characters! It was a bit slapstick at times in A WEEK OF MONDAYS but if you're going to have a Groundhog Day-type book, you gotta get some slapstick in there, right? The book definitely had a lightness to it and was a breeze to read despite its length! The way the chapters are set up make for a higher page count but don't let that fool you -- it's actually a quick read!

I could totally identify with Ellie in so many ways. I didn't have a lot of relationships in high school but whether it was relationship or crush, I know so many of us ended up trying to be the person we thought our crush wanted us to be and what they liked and sometimes not who we actually were. I liked that Ellie went on this journey of self-discovery in such a unique way. As wonderful as it is to have this total revelation as some characters do in books, Ellie had to go through the same situation SEVEN times in order to finally figure certain things out and I kind of loved that. We learn from our mistakes but we don't always learn on the first try and as terrible as it was to relive the same Monday over and over again, she was lucky enough to get another chance to take a different path in her life when so many of us are left with regrets or "what if"s.

I really, really enjoyed the ending. There was a moment there that I totally called from the start (because I just really wanted it to happen) and it totally came together in the end. I really loved how everything worked out and all of the things that Ellie made right again. It wasn't totally predictable either! I thought I knew how things would wrap up and I suppose I guessed it overall but the path to get there was different than I expected and I always love when authors are able to surprise me!

A WEEK OF MONDAYS was just a fun book from start to finish. It started off more on the silly side and slowly progressed to serious and a little deeper. I really loved Ellie's journey and the ending to the book was just perfect! A WEEK OF MONDAYS was my favorite kind of book to read in the summertime but it's great for any time of the year! I do love Jessica Brody and I look forward to reading more of her books!

Profile Image for Ollie.
5 reviews3 followers
October 13, 2016
This book is awesome! It made me feel like I couldn't put it down! Story opens with 16 year old Ellison having a terrible Monday at school. Her day gets worse when she shows up to the school carnival and her boyfriend, Tristan Wheeler, is super bummed because his band, whack-a-mole, can't get a gig on the stage. Ellison gets really sad because she didn't get a kiss at the the top of the Ferris wheel like she's dreamed about getting since she was 10 years old. Ellison goes home to her room and wishes she can just have do-over. Her wish is granted because Ellison gets to live the same day again and again until she gets it perfect. I love this book because the story captivated me there was drama, romance, comedy and my favorite a happy ending. I didn't like that it got boring in the 5th Monday. But, I recommend this to people who like drama and love stories!
Profile Image for Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books).
489 reviews344 followers
October 24, 2018
Cute x's 100. I love Jessica Brody so much for how she gives us these adorable stories and characters.

I am a big Jessica Brody fan. BIG. Every book that I've read of hers makes me feel happy and good-- plus they just flow and come together with perfection.

I wanted to read this when it came out, but somehow it got overlooked. This might be a post for another day, but it got me thinking about how I really need to stop overlooking the cute, fun books for the intense thrillers or serious subject books.

The real reason I started this book though, was because I was SO in the mood for a Groundhog's Day book. I read Neverworld Wake last month, was OBSESSED and had a total book hangover, so I decided to go out and find a book that had the same thing going on. It just so happened that I had this book on my shelf waiting for me, so I dove in.

Groundhog's Day stories are so fun because everyone has days that they'd like a do-over. Ellie gets the ultimate do-over when she gets to repeat the day she gets dumped by her rock star boyfriend over and over again. She knows if she can just figure out the secret code to NOT getting dumped, she'll get out of this loop.

My fave part: The oldies!!! Ellie listens to 60's & 70's R&B and Rock music and I couldn't help but want to fire up my own oldies playlist that I hadn't listened to in a few weeks. I grew up listening to the oldies because of my parents-- and somewhere along the way, I went from thinking they were "lame" to knowing that I was "lame" for thinking that.

I thought this book was pure enjoyment and fun. It was a tad predictable because it's completely obvious where the whole romantic situation is headed, but sometimes that is okay. There is a certain formula to Jessica Brody's books & I'm cool with that.

OVERALL: If you like Groundhog's Day books (and who doesn't?), this book is for you!! It's one girl's quest to NOT get dumped-- but she also ends up finding out a lot about herself in the process. My fave part was the oldies that the main character listened to for every occasion, but you don't have to like the oldies to jam out with Ellie and her 7 Mondays!!

My Blog:

Pink Polka Dot Books
Pink Polka Dot Books
Profile Image for Rowan.
379 reviews29 followers
July 25, 2019
Wat een ontzettend leuk boek, en perfect om te lezen tijdens de zomervakantie! Ik las dit boek in no-time uit door het leuke, grappige verhaal, maar ook door de vlotte en luchtige schrijfstijl. Ellie is ontzettend grappig en ik moest dan ook meerdere keren om haar lachen. Een perfect boek voor iedereen die van American High School verhalen houdt zónder al te veel drama.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 715 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.