Start by marking “Click, Clack, Surprise!: With Audio Recording” as Want to Read:
Click, Clack, Surprise!: With Audio Recording

Click, Clack, Surprise!: With Audio Recording

(Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

New York Times bestselling duo Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin’s beloved story about Little Duck’s birthday is now available as a Level 2 Ready-to-Read!

Happy first birthday, Little Duck!

Everyone wants to look their best for the party. But Little Duck has never had a birthday before—so how better to learn how to prepare than to do what all the other animals do! The sheep
Published September 6th 2016 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Click, Clack, Surprise!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Click, Clack, Surprise!

Start your review of Click, Clack, Surprise!: With Audio Recording
Archit Ojha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The little duck is am adorable copycat which makes the book a complete success. A surprise waits for you as you keep on turning the pages.
Matt
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neo is back reading and having a blast as he does it. He picked up this book to showcase some of his wonderful skills, and to prove that practice does make a newer reader even better. Little Duck is about to celebrate a birthday, with everyone else on the farm preparing for the party as well. The animals go through the ‘primping’ activities, in hopes of looking their best, as Little Duck copies them. By the end, with the cake and streamers out, Little Duck has made quite a mess of it all... but ...more
Cheryl
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will continue to read everything in this series, and to recommend them, but this isn't the strongest. It's rather wordy (long) for the ending, which is telegraphed from near the beginning. It does play with language and would be fun to read aloud, and it's still funny, and I am grateful to my library for buying it!
Abigail
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Farmer Brown & His Animal Companions
The animals in Farmer Brown's barnyard prepare for Little Duck's first birthday in this amusing entry in author Doreen Cronin and illustrator Betsy Lewin's ongoing picture-book series about their adventures. As each animal makes itself ready - Duck rub-a-dubbing, the sheep snippity-clipping, the cat slurp-a-lupring - Little Duck watches and imitates. By the time he's done, he's made himself look like an unforgettable mess for his birthday celebration...

I enjoyed Click, Clack, Surprise!, which is
Robin Raines-Bond
This whole series is fun!
Michael Fitzgerald
No charm.
Jason
This is pretty mediocre, but that's not what bugs me about it. Why use the phrase "click, clack" if the typewriter doesn't even make an appearance?
Jamie Jessup
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doreen-cronin
Little Duck is back and it is her birthday! Everyone is invited to meet under the maple tree for cake, games, and presents, but first they must get ready to look their best. All the animals have different ways of getting ready, and Little Duck tries all of them! Silly Little Duck. The use of repetition in this book is a fun way to get students engaged with the text and reading along, and Little Duck is sure to make students giggle. I would read this book aloud in my class and then have students ...more
Amanda
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
good read-aloud, a lot of onomatopoeia. could get kids to imitate the sounds or movements of the animals when you're reading.
Tina
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonder-years
What a cutie rub-a-dub little duck!
Rachel Mans Mckenny
Adorable! My toddler made me read it three times in a row. Good fun.
Katelyn
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is great, I like it. It is little duck’s birthday. The animals all plan to go under the maple tree for little duck’s birthday party. Everyone wants to look their best for the party. Except for the cows, they all do their kind of bath and cleaning. The little duck wants to do the same thing as the other animals, she follows a duck to rub the body, follows the sheep to trim the hair, follows the cat slurp the body, follows a chicken take a dust bath, and follows pigs to take a ...more
Bethel
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and very creative read. I don't love some of the later books in this series but this one works. There is opportunity here to explore further learning with young readers about why what works for the other animals to get clean and spiffy, doesn't work for young duck (oily feathers, anyone?) The illustrations are fun and keep even very young ones intrigued. One little thing that the kiddos and I noticed was that donkey (mentioned early on cancelling a particular party game) isn't at ...more
Lydia
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is Duckling's birthday, so the farm and the animals are tidying themselves up for the party! Duckling isn't sure how he should tidy up, so he tries all their methods!

The canceled games were a good chuckle, as is Duckling's appearance at the end (though may be parent's nightmare fuel). Also, good, accurate info on how different farm animals keep clean.

No content issues.

Kay
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sped-530
This is about duck's birthday party, but it is little duck who is the star of this book. The "walk on over to the Maple tree" line is repeated for the children to participate in reading aloud. Little duck wants to clean up as the other farm animals do, bit he ends up a mess.

teaching application- read aloud for a fun interactive story. The repetition in the story lends to this technique.
Katrina Clohessy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 stars. Story not as engaging as "Click, Clack, Moo," but fans of the latter will likely enjoy this as well. Story revolving around duck's preparations for his birthday; some repetition of phrases.
Anthony
It's Little Duck's 1st birthday, and all the farm animals prepare for the surprise party, and head for the festivities under the maple tree. Little Duck watches their every move, and when the party starts, Little Duck is the biggest surprise of all.
Sami Snow
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable book about a duckling's journey in copying the farm as they prepare themselves for Farmer Brown's birthday party. The narrative for each of the animals is hilarious.

Trait: Voice
AR: 2.4
DRA: 18
Faith Tydings
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awww, little duck is so cute and, no doubt, will grow up to be as mischievous as big duck!
Judy Desetti
More fun in the ongoing series about animals on the farm.
I think i will read this for my bday storytime
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book to add to the classic series of “Click, Clack, Moo”. Love it! ...more
Christine Grant
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Birthday Story Time. It's Baby Duck's birthday and the whole farm is invited to the party. When Baby Duck copies the other animals' party preparation, he finds himself in a mess.
Ryan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cronin knocks it out of the park again. The farm is getting ready for a birthday party. Games might be played, but everyone wants to look their best. Such a fun book.
Angela
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
I read this as a Ready-to-Read Level 2 book. Sweet and funny addition to the delightful series. Adorable artwork and characters.
Mindy
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other books in this series, this one is just as funny and adorable. The descriptive animal sounds and motions are sure to make this an interactive read-a-long for young kids.
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
Definitely a silly book.
Alyssa Gudenburr
Wasn't my favorite.
Emily
Little Chick gets ready for his birthday like all the other animals, he rub-a-dub-dubs and snips snips. Good for birthday story time, or farm story time.
Rachael Knudsen

• Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • Truman
  • Llama Llama Loves to Read
  • I Want a Dog
  • Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • This Book of Mine
  • I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who ...more

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!