Start by marking “Is That Wise, Pig?” as Want to Read:
Is That Wise, Pig?

Is That Wise, Pig?

Cow and Pig are helping Mouse make a delicious soup, but Pig keeps trying to add ingredients that don’t make sense!

Mouse is making a yummy pot of soup and Cow and Pig are helping add ingredients. Mouse adds four tomatoes, Cow adds five potatoes, and Pig adds…six galoshes?! Is that wise, Pig? Young readers will be so busy giggling at Pig’s antics, they won’t even realize th
Published September 13th 2016 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Is That Wise, Pig?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is That Wise, Pig?

Damera Blincoe
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Normally I'm all over a Jan Thomas book. I have so many in my storytime collection that it's a bit crazy. This one just didn't do anything for me (this really hurt my soul to write). I'm sad to say that this is one that I may not be using for storytime and that is very heartbreaking for me :(
Mandyhello
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jan Thomas never disappoints
Karla
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is another book I saw on my way to check out another book today. When I first started reading, I considered this to be something similar to the stone soup idea. Three animal friends are bringing different ingredients to make a soup. Each time it is Pig's turn, however, he comes up with nonsensical additions that do not go in a soup. His friends stop him in time, asking him if it is wise, and upon further thought Pig determines it's probably not. I liked the silliness. I liked that it gave c ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Thomas, Jan Is That Wise, Pig? PICTURE BOOK. Beach Lane (Simon), 2016. $15.

Mouse is making soup and Cow and Pig are ready to help. While Cow seems to know what makes a good soup, Pig thinks things like umbrellas and galoshes are also useful. While they might not make good soup, those things do have a use after Pig makes one last unwise choice.

Thomas is another favorite illustrator/author of mine. She continues to delight me and create fun frolics to share and share again. You could do an entire
Stephanie Tournas
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A mouse, a cow and a pig are making soup. The mouse and the cow add vegetables; pig wants to add things like umbrellas and galoshes. So the mouse and the cow ask, "Is that wise, pig?" Thomas's simple vivid cartoons place all the emphasis on the characters, who are very funny. In fact, all of her books are great for a laugh - they are go-to titles for story time. Simple, repetitive story line with expressive facial expressions on the animals make this story time gold. And it's a counting book. Th ...more
Andrea Lorenz
reminds me so much of Happy Birthday, Cow! A silly animal tries to help with a task but doesn't quite get what helping entails; in the end though, Pig is totally vindicated. The humor of both Pig's silly suggestions and the end result are what make this (and most of Jan Thomas's books) a wonderful read. I can't recommend these books enough and will definitely be sharing with as many toddlers and preschoolers as I can find.
Renee
I love her books! They are great for Toddler and PreK story classes. And my kids at home who are in grades K and 2 can read them on their own aloud. (the Kdg with assistance).

* One note. I don't think the young readers will automatically understand the question "Is that wise, Pig?" so I would say that but then add "Do you think that is a good idea, Pig."

I was so happy to see Jan Thomas published another book. Keep them coming!!!
Rebecca Ann
Another stellar picture book from Jan Thomas. 3 animals are making soup (practicing counting) and pig keeps trying to put weird things in it (umbrellas, boots, etc). Mouse and Cow stop him and Pig eventually helps make delicious soup and they're all about to eat it when his 10 hungry pig friends show up. I love the use of critical thinking "Is that wise, pig?", and counting!
Ina
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Mouse, Pig, and cow are back in this laugh-out-loud funny concept book. With simple text and Jan Thomas' signature bright colors, Mouse makes a pot of soup and his friends help....or do they? Pig has some interesting ideas about the ingredients that should be added. Together the friends count all the way to 10...but the reader may be laughing too loud to hear all of the numbers!
Samantha
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cow, Pig, and Mouse are making soup, but Pig suggests some strange ingredients like umbrellas and galoshes to mix with Cow and Mouse's vegetables. A refrain asks Pig to consider his suggestions and prompts little listeners to chime in with the correct response.

Funny, practical and paced just right, this is a great read aloud for toddlers and PreK with vibrant digital illustrations.
Bethe
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun, cute story. Going to follow up Thomas's Doghouse book with this one to see if the littles will notice the same characters.
Michelle Gray
I love these books!

Themes: counting, cooking, pigs, farm animals
Kelly
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-author
Yay, a new non-seasonal Jan Thomas! This one stands up to the others and is very good. So cute and funny.
Beverly
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
YEP THIS WAS GREAT
Michelle
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For me, this was laugh out loud funny! I loved the illustrations, and I love the counting concept.
Kary
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek, storytime
Redbud nominee. Hilarious! I think this will be voted into the top few.
Alyssa Tabor
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Jan Thomas so much. Yes, yes, yes for storytime!
Emily
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's always a wise idea to read Jan Thomas books!
Kate
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jan Thomas, crushing it once again!
Elisabeth
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew something crazy was going to happen at the end but had no idea how silly things were going to get! LOVE JAN THOMAS
Nancy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever as always from Jan Thomas!
Bookworm's Nemesis
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Amy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Looking for something quick & silly? Jan Thomas' books are sure to hit the mark! Here, some friends decide to make a soup and each brings some ingredients to add, but Pig doesn't seem to get the concept.
Lacey
When mouse asks pig if he wants to help make soup, he gets much more than he bargained for as pig brings one unconventional ingredient after another to the pot. This silly tale, with bright and colorful illustrations, had my son asking me to read it over and over again. “Is That Wise Pig” is both counting book and storybook with a repeated refrain that gives pre-readers ample opportunities to join in with with the story telling and engage with the text. Since my son is obsessed with numbers the ...more
Kate Zakharov
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mmmhhhmmmm. A nice big bowl of warm soup on a wet, chilly day. That sounds so good! I love homemade soup, especially if I get to make it with my friends! Hopefully, we can all agree on what to put in the soup...

This book is called Is that WISE, Pig? It is written and illustrated by Jan Thomas, and is sooo funny! I found myself laughing out loud as friends Cow, Pig, and Mouse work together to make a delicious soup, but Pig keeps trying to add ingredients that don’t make sense!

Mouse is making a yu
Josianne Fitzgerald
Another fun book from Jan Thomas. In this one, Pig keeps wanting to add weird stuff to the soup and his friends ask "Is that wise, Pig?" Well, adding umbrellas or galoshes to the soup isn't wise alright, but in the end, it turns out to have been a wise choice after all.

Like another reviewer said, "it's wise to read Jan Thomas' books!" They're fun and colorful and so accessible to beginning readers, they crack me up every time.
Vivian
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This takes the "Stone Soup" and "Little Red Hen" stories up a few notches and is good for a few laughs to boot! Pun intended.

Mouse inducts pig and cow as eager volunteers in preparing soup. Ingredients are added in numerical increments, such as one onion, two cabbages, three umbrellas, wait, what?

Be sure and point out to your beginning reader the punctuation marks so they can get a grasp of what they are for and better yet, properly dramatize their reading.

Enjoy!
  • Whoops!
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • 5 Little Ducks
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Moo!
  • 1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Old MacDonald Had a Truck
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.