Start by marking “In-Between Days” as Want to Read:
In-Between Days

In-Between Days

Seventeen-year-old Jacklin Bates believes the only way to soar beyond her life is to drop out of school and move in with her free-spirited sister, Trudy. But Jack quickly discovers her sister isnt the same person she used to be. And when Jack loses her job and the boy she loves breaks her heart, shes desperate for distractions.

She strikes up an unlikely friendship with
Published August 30th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about In-Between Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In-Between Days

Start your review of In-Between Days
ALPHAreader
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inbetween Days is the new contemporary YA novel from Australian author, Vikki Wakefield.

Its taken me so long to get around to writing a proper review of this book because a lot of crazy things have been happening lately and Ive found myself getting so busy I had to come back and do a re-read of Wakefields new gem before I could sit down to write a proper review, and in doing so I re-discovered a little slice of literary calm in the midst of my hectic waking life. A novel to take me completely
jesse
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will always, always unconditionally love Vikki Wakefield's books like a lost girl in a desert finding a glass of fresh of water. What are the chances of finding something like that? You tell me.
Paula Weston
This is going to sound weird and a tad narcissistic, but I feel like Vikki Wakefield writes books just for me. This one in particular.

Its like shes crawled into my soul, found all my insecurities and all the things I didnt like about myself as teenager and captured them in the wonderful mess that is Jack. And, as usual, shes done it in a way thats poetic and profound and beautifully written.

As with every Wakefield novel, the relationships all ring true - between siblings, lovers, parents and
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, friendship, resentment, love, growing-up.

This book very much sits on that fine line between YA and Adult fiction - as much as it's about growing up, that inbetween time when you aren't yet grown but are no longer a child, it is also written in a rather mature and slightly less accessible (for me) style.

I loved the small town mentality, how everything came back to it. I loved how the Jack seemed so trapped, how everyone seemed trapped, but that no one ever properly left. I loved
RitaSkeeter
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ya
[4.5] I read a lot of YA and most of it is urban, so it was refreshing to see a different locale in this case a small town in the Australian bush.

The book reminded me, in both tone and the bush setting, of Jasper Jones except even better. The setting in this book is almost a character; the small town in its death throes and the subsequent lack of employment and opportunities for the young people that live there. It leads to two things in this book they either leave or they drink for
Text Publishing
Reading Age: 14+ Themes: Small-town coming-of-age story about friendship, escape and love.

Vikki Wakefield legions reassemble. Theres a new book to be read! This is another beautiful and poignant tale of rural adolescence from the author of CBCA Honour Book Friday Brown and All I Ever Wanted.

Wakefield has captured small-town life perfectly. There is the stifling sense of everyone knowing everyone, but also the boredom that comes from being a teenager with nowhere to go. In these claustrophobic
Trisha
Vikki Wakefields third novel is just as intense and engaging as her previous two. Seventeen-year-old Jacklin Bates lives with her sister Trudy on the outskirts of their small country town, Mobius. Shes dropped out of high school, thinks shes in love with a boy who is clearly using her, and is caught in between teen age and adulthood...

Read the rest of my review at Reading Time .

There's also a piece by Vikki about writing the book. It's eloquent and insightful.
Rosanne Hawke
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vikki Wakefields Inbetween Days
This is South Australian YA author Vikki Wakefields third novel. I also enjoyed her All I Ever Wanted and Friday Brown. This new title has an older feel even though main character Jack is seventeen. Jack is living with runaway sister, Trudy and waiting for Luke to notice her, but it is Jeremiah who does, intelligent, quirky, kind Jeremiah. This novel is inhabited by very interesting people: Pope, who Jack is afraid has come to the forest to die, like so many
Tara
Vikki Wakefield certainly has a way with words. Within pages I was taken into a small, dying town and instantly connected with Jack, a 17 year old girl who was living with her sister, working in the local store and meeting her boyfriend once a week in a secret location. I could see the oldness of the main street, hear the cat screeching and almost feel the dust on my skin, and more than once, I had to go and give my dog a cuddle after reading about Jack's dog, Gypsy. There were so many things ...more
Jayne  Downes
I found the story rather dark, Vikki Wakefield did a great job of creating the setting in the depressing small town of Möbius. It is a complex and well written story with plenty of imagery. A coming of age story about the choices a 17 year old girl makes as she gains independence.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 36

I've been bored for all of those pages. Thematically most similar to The Piper's Son, which I also DNFed.
DonutKnow
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it and hated it and then loved it again. There was just so much misery and then bits of love scattered through, but ultimately it felt inexplicably human.

Haha, it sounds like Im talking in riddles, but even I found it hard to describe why I kept on reading this book, despite the sadness, pity and a bit of embarrassment I felt for the protagonist and her experiences throughout the novel.

I loved it though, and I think it boils down to the fact that life isnt perfect and neither was Jacks
Michelle
Vikki Wakefield has done it again. Shes gone and taken my breath away with another exquisite book. While it (thankfully) doesnt have the soul-crushing heartbreak of Friday Brown, Inbetween Days is an equally gorgeous novel and has reinforced my love for Wakefields unforgettable prose.

As with Friday Brown, the hot, dry, stifling regional Australia setting is a character in its own right in Inbetween Days. The slow, almost suffocating, slightly macabre small-town of Mobius came to life so vividly
Pauline
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third novel by Australian author Vikki Wakefield. What is inspiring about Wakefields work is her skill in tapping into the issues that are fundamental to teens and she does not hold back in her depiction of small country town Australia. Reading this novel the inactivity, the unemployment, the lack of opportunity or motivation and hope is almost palpable. This story, the pace, the characters and the colloquialisms are quintessentially Australian. Seventeen year old Jack (Jacklin) has ...more
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I'm not really liking the direction that this book is going in. The main character is pretty dislikable and makes poor decisions. DNF at pg. 110.
Elly
Reviewing Vikki Wakefield is always so hard because she reduces me to incoherence, that's how good her books are.
Diana-christie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
I liked the main character's relationship with her mom. Her mom was funny.
Ma: "Tomorrow you should put that new license into action. Have some fun."
Jacklin: What? "Why?"
Ma: "Because one day you're hot in a string bikini, and the next time you blink you're Mrs. Doubtfire."

It had some really good writing, too: "I missed being happy at least half the time. I'd never noticed before, but rage sits under your ribs."

"Ma's weekly treatment and blow-dry--in all her years she'd never come out looking
Emma
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way this book presented self-sabotage in a way that people could relate to.
You cant help but instantly like the flawed and fucked-up characters that Wakefield writes.

Really enjoyed this book 👍
Kirsti
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
A coming of age novel that has a simple but thought provoking story line.
Ernie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vikki Wakefield's first YA novel Friday Brown was a CBCA Notable Book in 2013 and this second novel fulfills the promise shown then. Jacklin, the narrator has left school in year 11 and the writer's focus is not on bullying at school but the results of it later. In the dying country town of Mobius in Victoria, Jacklin hates herself for her constant inability to get on with her mother or her older sister or communicate successfully with the boys who either desire her for sex or friendship. ...more
Heather Boundy
Wakefield portrays young adult angst in a raw, and at times, provocative way. The relationships and romances in this book are deftly described and certainly not childlike. This is a young woman attempting to find her place in the world and making lots of mistakes along the way. A difficult family set-up, fraught relationship with her sister, and a mixture of friendships both passing and lasting make this a complex story in many ways. Throw in life in a small country town and you have quite a ...more
Bianca
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-reads
This is probably my least favourite book from Wakefield so far, but seeing as it is still a Wakefield story, it was brilliant. The plot in this novel seemed very abstract for a lot of the story and the ending far from gave me the closure I needed.

However, I feel very attached to this book right now. Jack, Gypsy, Trudy, Jeremiah, Roly, Meredith...Such an amazing diverse group of characters who truly made this story.
Definitely a great story of self discovery.

Lauredhel
I can't help it. Vikki Wakefield. I love her. She deserves all the awards.
Every time I read a Vikki Wakefield book it takes me a while to recover. Much like All I Ever Wanted and Friday Brown, Inbetween Days is heartbreaking, hopeful and absolutely stunning.
Anikaitsu
Jun 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I wish i could give a more detailed review, but i was so bored with this book that i gave it away to a friend.

this book was so boring that i legitimately cannot remember anything about it. seriously. and i think i read it in january. i read the first 100 pages and dropped it. the main character was boring and unlikeable (i think i remember her being whiny and annoying), and the main plot points that were supposed to be interested in (based on the synopsis) didnt even happen within the first 100
Debi G.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
"It seemed to me that if people would just say what they meant, we'd all get back half our lives in wasted time" (47).

The mother-daughter conflict is too vague.
The "dying small town" trope works well.
The suicide forest is a stellar plot device and setting.
The relationships that are depicted are consistently unsettling.
The pace matches the character's trepidatious growth and reticence.
Jeremiah is a gem.

These simple sentences oversimplify the complexity of the novel.

Sally Flint
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
A gutsy read about a 17 year girl, living in a small Australian town, finding who she is. A rites of passage book exploring romance, family, loss and loneliness it manages to avoid being cheesy and leaves you caring about the characters. I will forgot about this book straight away, but only because there wasn't so much for me to empathise with. A good teenage read.
Izzy Rizzo
eh...
its like to kill a mocking bird but jasper jones but older and with more sex.
eh, i didn't really like any of the characters so lol.
on the brightside its cool to see jack learn the difference betweensexual desire and an acual relationship i guess thats a cool thing to talk about.
okay thats it , kinda bland, need me good reads goal to be met tHIS yeAr yeWWWW
Rhianna
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got bored, didn't finish.
Steph Cuthbert
Vivid, raw, and unapologetic.
« previous 1 3 next »
Aussie Bloggers B...: October read! 1 11 Oct 06, 2015 07:10PM

• Cloudwish (The Six Impossiverse #3)
  • Protected
  • Fairytales for Wilde Girls
  • Toujours Provence
  • One Pair of Hands
  • A Complaint Free World: How to Stop Complaining and Start Enjoying the Life You Always Wanted
  • Quiver
  • Nineteen
  • Corduroy Mansions (Corduroy Mansions, #1)
  • Let's Get Lost
  • Rhinocéros
  • A Tempest
  • The Hearts We Sold
  • Permanent Record
  • Invisible Boys
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • End of Days
  • Regenesis (End of Days, #2)