Start by marking “Illusion (The Heirs of Watson Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Illusion (The Heirs of Watson Island, #3)

Illusion

(The Heirs of Watson Island #3)

Caged by secrets all around her and haunted by mistakes that have estranged her from Eight Beaufort, Barrie Watson is desperate to break the curse that puts her family in danger—without breaking the beautiful magic that protects Watson’s Landing. To do that, she must heal the rifts that have split the families of the island apart for three hundred years, unravel the myster ...more
Published October 25th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Illusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illusion

Martina Boone
Aug 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This will be the final book in the Heirs of Watson island Trilogy. All the plots and subplots will finally be revealed, and they aren't what you think. Stay tuned!
Stacee
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I was so so so excited to get my hands on an arc of this book. I've enjoyed this series and I couldn't wait to see how it all ended.

Barrie and Eight are still captivating. After the ending in Compulsion, I was worried about some things, but my concern was unfounded. I was especially smitten with Pru in this book. She's got a lot of great, snarky lines.

The build up is a slow burn, much like the previous books. I enjoyed the layers and reveals of what was going on. It kept it from being a huge inf
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Really liked this but the first half had me worried. If there is one thing I've loved throughout this series is Barrie and Eight's dynamic and having a lack of that for the first 40% or so of this book really threw me off and I didn't love love this until closer to the end, but, it did end spectacularly and in a way realistically to the series.
Liza Wiemer
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magic! Swoon-worthy romance between Barrie and Eight. History not found in high school textbooks revealed! Stereotypes SMASHED! This is a series YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS. :)
Martina Boone does a phenomenal job bringing The Heirs of Watson Island trilogy to a magical conclusion with a heart pounding end!

Here's what you need to know...

The romance between Eight and Barrie is SMOKIN' HOT!

The magic is BREATHTAKING:

And the search for treasure leads to discoveries:

Ghosts are vanquished:

Lives are changed
Reading Teen
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was such an incredible ending to an amazing, complex, and beautiful series. I swear this series should be taught in every school. The way Martina deals with issues of prejudice, slavery, sexism, relationships, and family, while telling a story that is so unique and engrossing is awe-inspiring. I love this series, I love these characters, and I love the way this book made me think about the world and all the issues we face every day. Brilliant.
Erin Arkin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great ending and a swoony Eight is my favorite kind of Eight...

You guys – have you started reading The Heirs of Watson Island series? If you haven’t…you need to fix that immediately. Especially now that the final book of the series is out at the end of this month, you have plenty of time to get started. There are so many great things about this series and I admit I was waiting to get my hands on Illusion for a while…ok since I finished book 2.

Illusion picks up right about where Persuasion wrap
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What can I say about this?? It was a beautifully written finale and the perfect ending to an amazing series! I loved every page and dreaded them at the same time since I didn't want this book to end. And of course it made me hungry for Southern food just like the other 2 books did! I'm really going to miss this world and Barrie & Eight. Bravo Martina on a brilliant finale!
Hollis
Really liked the end (and by that I literally mean the final chapter or two, not the book itself) to this trilogy but it was one tough slog to get there. But it's over, it's done, and that's one more series to have wrapped up this year. Unlike some others, however, I'm not sad to see the end of this one.

What had such potential in book one really got bogged down by so many details that I lost the love, lost sight the magic, just didn't care, and while Boone's writing could be very lovely and ins
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Compulsion hooked me, Persuasion swept me off my feet, and Illusion reminded me of why I fell in love with this captivating series. Reading the Heirs of Watson Island series is like reading a story that has been passed down for generations. It hooks you with it's Southern Gothic charm, and intoxicating romance. Enchants you with it's magic, history, legend and mystery. Makes you fall in love with it's characters, and Boone's beautiful writing. Most importantly it will make you ponder over the hi ...more
Colleen
3 Stars

Illusion was overall a decent conclusion to a good trilogy, but it was not as strong an ending as I was hoping for. To be fair, whatever I read immediately after the Roses of May was probably bound to seem a tad lackluster. But I had a hard time getting into the first quarter of this book, and I was never as absorbed as I was in the first two books.

It did not help that during the first quarter of the book, Barrie seemed particularly goody two shoes Pollyanna. It got better, but I do a few
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
I want to thank Simon Pulse for providing me with an ARC of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

If you haven't read the first or second book in this series, what are you waiting for? Need something totally different? A paranormal thats just a bit off the beaten path? A ghostly story that also has a the feel witchy powers? This is the series for you! But if you haven't read the first two books, I can't promise there
Erin Cashman
I loved every page of ILLUSION, and was so sad to see this beautifully written series come to an end! In addition to the wonderful characters – including an exciting new chapter in Barrie and Eight’s lives – together and apart – this book tied everything up in a way that I never expected. Boone brilliantly weaves history, folklore, myths and legends in a completely unique way, while still keeping the stakes and tensions high with heart pounding action. I highly recommend this book – and this ser ...more
Lelia Nebeker
A fabulous crescendo for the Heirs of Watson Island series! Martina Boone delivers a rich, satisfying, thoughtful conclusion to the story of Barrie, Eight, Pru, and all the other characters we've come to love throughout this beautifully crafted Southern Gothic trilogy. I loved how she tied together all the complex aspects of history and mythology to create a story that makes you really think about the nature of perspective in history and the voices whose stories have been silenced over the years ...more
Danielle (Love at First Page)

2.5-3 stars

A series that has its moments - Martina Boone can certainly craft a beautiful sentence - and is rich in idea and imagery, but unfortunately it's also very long and plodding and I never felt much of a connection with the characters. Feels like a missed opportunity with such a cool premise. On the bright side, no triangle! :)
Lisa Mandina
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come on Lisa Loves Literature tomorrow!
Freda Malone
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The conclusion to the modern magical world of Watson Landing and Beaufort Hall was all I was hoping it would become. The curse between the 3 plantations and the families is finally solved along with much forgiveness, sacrifice and mystical presence. The writer put her heart and soul into this trilogy with much history of American Indians, slavery, and physical science to almost give you a headache but if you have an appreciable imagination, you'll love this story. Gone with the Wind meets Romeo ...more
Kim
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not the ending I was hoping for. Not that it was a bad ending, but it's always disappointing when the technicalities of the "magic" overshadow the wonder. I loved the almost-magic-realism feel of the first book, but this one had more in common with a metaphysical science text.

Add in some philosophical ponderings about the horrors of slavery and the shortcomings of historical records, and the relationships and mystery shaping the rest of the series read more like window dressing for an (albeit in
Lollyletsgo
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really nice ending to this trilogy, it wrapped up all the remaining questions. I did love the relationship between Eight and Barrie and how she was able to view the relationships of the others around her.
Michelle

YA Review
My Thoughts
Ahh, I can't believe the Heirs of Watson Island Trilogy is done. I loved Illusion, it might be my favorite book out of all of them, and this was one heck of an ending. The hard part about this trilogy is that with each of the books it is getting harder and harder to write spoiler free reviews. Martina Boone has created such a detail rich world that is so woven is layers and layers of secrets and m
Nicole
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars... I enjoyed this more than I thought I would! And it was full of these mature perspectives/life lessons that I enjoyed being reminded of (although some might consider it preachy or unrealistic coming from a teenager)
Amy Leigh
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RTC
Mary C
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm so sad, I had a down day and decided to power through this book, couldn't wait to get it and I just couldn't do it. I so enjoyed the first in the trilogy and the second was tough but good... this just slogged through the middle until I skipped to the end ( hardly ever remember doing this) and still had to put it down.
Trisha
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-to-go
"It's a fine line, isn't it? The difference between persuasion and compulsion."

A very interesting but good conclusion to the series. It was a little...anti-climatic, but I did like following how they got to end and for finally having answers for everything. So many questions followed from book 1 and 2 through to this conclusion but it is all wrapped up.
Kathy MacMillan
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A swoony, fast-paced end to the series. It was gratifying to see Barrie step up and take ownership of her story, of her relationship to Watson's Landing, and her role in atoning for her family's past. Eight remains one of my favorite book boyfriends. There were a lot of moving parts to this story, but Boone keeps all the plates spinning right through to the satisfying conclusion.
Jennifer Harris
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the first two books in this series, but not this one so much. It seemed really slow, there was a lot of conversations that I couldn't follow, there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary descriptions, and I just had a hard time finishing it. Overall great series though.
Diana-christie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was hard to read this to the end!!! I remember I loved the first book in this series, Compulsion, then I don't know what happened. It seemed like a creepy start to a good series about ghosts, murder, and cursed plantations.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
While I still enjoyed this, overall I was a little disappointed in this final book in the series.

The intricacies of the plot became really hard to follow and the book felt overly long.

I do love Barrie and Eight and I would really have liked an epilogue.
Pam Shultz
Sep 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Super excited about this last book!! How will it all end!
Amanda Katsion vadbunker
I don't know if it has been too long since I read the second book so I lost details and momentum but it felt like the book dragged on and became very convoluted.
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
OMG, I didn't like this book!
Review to come... I need to clear my head.
  • The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • The Gauntlet (The Cage, #3)
  • Pyromantic (Firebug, #2)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cursed Queen (The Impostor Queen, #2)
  • Untitled (Many-Worlds, #3)
  • Returned (Forbidden, #3)
  • Infinite Risk (Immortal Game, #3)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2)
  • The Flame Never Dies (The Stars Never Rise, #2)
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
  • The Immortal Throne (Into the Dark, #3)
  • Seas (Wendy Darling, #2)
  • Sparks of Light (Into the Dim, #2)
  • Journey's End
Martina Boone was born in Prague and spoke several languages before learning English. She's the award-winning author of feel-good romances set in magical places, including COMPULSION and the Heirs of Watson Island trilogy from Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse and the Celtic Legends series starting with LAKE OF DESTINY.

The Heirs of Watson Island (3 books)
  • Compulsion (The Heirs of Watson Island, #1)
  • Persuasion (The Heirs of Watson Island, #2)
“Fighting to protect the people you cared for was one thing. Trusting someone you loved to fight for themselves took a different kind of strength and bravery.” 6 likes
“When you loved someone, you couldn’t hold back. Love was a leap into the unknown, not a cautious dipping of the toe.” 5 likes