Start by marking “Edward Gets Messy” as Want to Read:
Edward Gets Messy

Edward Gets Messy

A very particular little pig discovers the joys that come with getting messy in this sweet and silly debut picture book.

Edward the pig never pets friendly dogs on the street. He never, ever eats food that spills or splatters. And he never, ever, EVER uses markers or glue sticks or paint. They are just too messy.

But what happens when—GLOOP!—a big tub of paint falls on Edwar
Published September 13th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Edward Gets Messy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edward Gets Messy

Rita Meade
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've been involved with this book for quite some time now and as it turns out, I really do like it.
Katherine M Pickering
Summary: Edward hates to get messy!! He always stays far away from all messes. He stays on the bleachers instead of play with mud, he doesn't jump in the leaves, and he doesn't do the science experiments! UNTIL something suddenly happens!!

Activity: I would have my students think of a time when they have been against something (for example, Edward is against getting messy) and think about what helped them get over that. For Edward it was when paint got on him and then he realized it comes off in
Robert Zimmermann
I'm terrible at reviewing children's books, but I'll try to come up with a few good words for this one because I enjoyed it so much.

It has everything you'd expect in a cute picture book: Edward, a pig who doesn't like getting messy. incredible illustrations with vibrant colors, and a message for the young readers (and adults). It's ok to enjoy yourself and get messy every now and then.
mark
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My grandson insisted on 3 consecutive readings, and then still wanted to look at all the pictures. If that's not a fantastic endorsement, I invite you to spend a random day with a random toddler and see if you can discover if they have any attention span whatsoever.
Jody
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
An excellent book! I love Edward and I'm glad he can show kids it's ok to get messy. I love messy!!

Good job Rita! Love ya!
Catherine
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book. I think kids would like when Edward realizes it's okay to have fun and then to clean up everything, even himself.
KC
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Edward doesn't like to get messy...and then he finds joy in all the messy things in his life. Edward is a lot like me!
Brian Hasbrouck
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book - I look forward to using it at storytime!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Edward does not like messes but, he misses out on so much fun with his friends because of it. On the day he accidentally makes a big mess, he learns the fun, creativity, experimenting and joys of playful messes with this friends. Kids will love this story and seeing all of the messes that Edward gets in to. They will relate to his reluctance to new things but love when he learns that is ok, because messes can be cleaned up.

This is a wonderful story that young children can relate to and enjoy. We
Taylor Shannon
This book is about a pig named Edward that does not like to get messy. His room is always pristine and everything is put together. He always washes up after himself and never allows for his hands to be dirty. Edward likes to be clean. While his friends and classmates got their hands dirty while painting and enjoying science experiments, Edward preferred to organize the school supplies. One day while Edward was cleaning up, he slipped and poured paint everywhere. This broke Edward's cycle, and he ...more
Rylee Hudson
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Edward is a a very particular pig who enjoys to stay clean, and never get messy. Edward misses out on petting dogs, eating messy foods, and making baking soda volcanoes erupt. Edward eventually realizes that being messy is okay and you can get clean after! The contrast of white backgrounds and colorful illustrations are make the book bright and friendly. This book is a great read aloud because of the fun adjectives throughout the book. Words like "SLURP", "GLOOP", and "CRUNCH" appear on pages in ...more
Sophia Tarullo
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
The book is one of a particular pig that hates a messy. He never gets involved in anything that could make a mess from messy food, playing in the leaves, and even science class. One day while straightening up everything in art class instead of painting, Edward gets a glob of paint on his shirt by accident. He then realizes it's okay to get messy and participates in everything his friends do! The beautiful colorful illustrations in this book engage the readers. The illustrations bring the book to ...more
Lacey
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
A Pig named Edward is never messy. He is very particular in how he cleans his house, irons his shirts, doesn't try anything that is sticky, or pet friendly dogs. One day in art class Edward accidentally spills paint on himself. He is completely changed, Edward doesn't mind getting messy anymore. Instead he learns to have fun.

The characteristics from Edward made me think of someone who is ocd. He doesn't like getting messy and enjoys cleaning things a certain way. When he does get messy he has f
Brandon Brice
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This little pig hates to get messy. He doesn’t play with paint, he doesn’t eat anything that splatters or spills. He doesn’t play in the leaves with his friends or doesn’t play sports all because he does not like to get messy. But one day at the end of school he gets paint on himself and it changes him for the greater good and he realizes that happiness comes with being messy sometimes.

I liked how they started very clean then at the end of the book, he realizes that being messy can be fun.

I wi
Megan Hanna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edward the pig does NOT enjoy getting messy. He won't do anything that has to do with getting messy. He doesn't even eat food that splatters! He will avoid anything that could possibly get him dirty. Until.. one day, something happens that could possibly change his mind. Will he ever enjoy getting messy?

Activity:
- Draw a story line from beginning to end about how you didn't enjoy something, but then found out you liked it!

Citation
-Meade, R. (2016). Edward gets messy. New York: Simon & Sc
James Costello

This story is about a pig named Edward who does everything he can to stay clean. All of a sudden, paint spills and Edward gets messy. Now Edward realizes how fun it can be to participate in all of the messier activities, making the point that in the end you can always clean up afterwards.

Question: Would you prefer to do activities neatly without mess such as going for walks and reading books or activities
Christine
The author of this book is the host of Book Riot's Dear Book Nerd podcast which is where I first heard about it. I've been looking forward to reading it for some time now -- especially since the cover was revealed. And I'm happy to say the rest of the book is just as wonderful as the cover. The text and the illustrations go together brilliantly to tell the story of Edward as he learns to overcome his fear of getting dirty. He was missing out on a lot of fun things in order to stay so meticulousl ...more
Emma Kosmicki
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review: A little pig discovers the joy of getting messy. He has always avoided anything that would be too messy. But one day, we just can't avoid it. He might find some upsides of getting messy.

Activity: Write a letter to the little pig and convince him of ONE thing that is definitely enjoyable to get messy. Think of something he didn't try to avoid in the book.

Citation: Meade, R. (2016). Edward gets messy. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.
Earl
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I checked this picture book out after discovering it was the inaugural winner of the Anna Dewdney Read-Together Award.

A cute story about a particular pig whose tendency to not want to get dirty prohibits him from enjoying certain things. Until one day and one spot of paint changes his whole outlook.
Roben
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edward is a pig who does not like messes. Jump in a pile of leaves? Never! Obey the five second rule? Not a chance. But what will happen when compulsive neatness accidentally leads to messiness? Will Edward melt down - or embrace the mess?
This is one of my favorites from our new picture books! I am looking forward to sharing it in storytime.
Lauren Amanda
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. The story line is silly, but still tells the important story that sometimes it's okay to get messy. I am definitely planning on using this one for a toddler or preschool storytime.
Mary Madison
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
I thought this book was absolutely precious. I would use it in my classroom to show kids its okay to be messy sometimes. I was that kid that always freaked out if I got even the smallest stain on me. I want the kids in my class to know its not a big deal.
Alice
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
First, can Edward be hired out to clean my house. I know child labor laws and such, but he is a pig, and well, I am willing to pay! Such a fun book. Cute, well illustrated, fun story! I just want to look at the pictures! Wonderful!!
Susan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steph
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a particular pig! :-)
Marcie
Might work for CLEL Bell - play or talk. I do love the illustrations. Would be fun for Mock Canadian Award (Might be called Blue Spruce). Second book today to encourage preschoolers to take risks.
Haley
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four stars for the adorable illustrations!
Ruth Ann
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful story about the virtues of getting messy. :)
Sierra
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I really relate to Edward's need to be particular.
Stephanie Tournas
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
About letting yourself get dirty to find your inner creativity!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »