Start by marking “Dear Poppy” as Want to Read:
Dear Poppy

Dear Poppy

When twelve-year-old Poppy moves to the country, she discovers a secret stash of letters that give her a unique connection to her late mother in this M!X novel about friendship, first crushes, and family drama.

City girl Poppy has always wanted a best friend, but never felt enough of a connection with anyone to gain BFF status. Even without a BFF, Poppy is horrified when
Published October 25th 2016 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Dear Poppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Poppy

AWESOMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Milana Waller
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aladdin-mix
Cute book with characters that are full of life and an amazing twist ending!🔥💛🌟
Jo Johnson
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dear Poppy was adorable! It's about a girl who lost her mother years ago in a car accident. But when she moves to her mother's childhood home with her father and brother, Poppy discovers old letters her mother had written in the 1980's - and they are all addressed to her, Poppy! Poppy's mother was also in middle school when she wrote the letters so they are full of fun and have uncanny parallels to Poppy's own life. As she adjusts to her new small town she starts to feel connected the mother she ...more
Katie
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story about new beginnings and discovering the past.

Poppy moves into her mother's childhood home and finds letters from her deceased mother, addressed to "Dear Poppy," from 1985. The letters introduce Poppy to a young version of her mother, struggling with many of the same hurdles Poppy is currently facing. Through the letters, Poppy's mother seems to be guiding Poppy down a path to connect their lives.

I would love to see my mother's letters from when she was young. There were
Stephanie Faris
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Dear Poppy, a 12-year-old girl is relocated to the family farm, where she finds a hidden stash of letters in the barn. The letters are were written by her now-deceased mom in 1985 and are addressed to "Poppy," leading her to conclude that her mother somehow knew as a teenager that her daughter would someday read them. As Poppy struggles to deal with making friends at school, including a meanie named Kathryn, the letters bond her to her mom in a touching way. This book will tug at your ...more
Morgan B
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, heartwarming, awesome book. I got this book for all my friends, and all of the, even 14 year olds, raved about this book, saying they loved it. Although the genre is from ages 9-12, I would say that this book is for any age. I loved dear Poppy, and I can't wait for whatever Ronni comes out with next.
Brooks Benjamin
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft of this book and I have to say that DEAR POPPY is a garden of literary awesomeness. It's got the heart, the humor, the mystery, and the magic--everything that makes for an incredibly enjoyable read. I can't wait for it to hit the shelves because my library is simply incomplete without it!
Lisa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
12-year-old Poppy has recently moved into her grandparents old farmhouse with her widowed dad and brother. Poppys mother died of cancer 5 years ago, and moving into her childhood home may present some problems. But, when Poppy finds a metal box with letters her mother wrote when she was 12 (addressed to Poppy) she is certain her mother is watching over her. But the letters show an interesting similarity between mother and daughter - especially when Poppy discovers that Vanessa (her mothers ...more
Trinity
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miss Amy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poppy's Dad moves shes and her brother to the farm her grandfather left them when he died. From city to farm was a huge change. The consolation: she thinks she's found letters from her mom to her when she was 12. Poppy makes some unexpected friends and enemies, but is realizing her mom had many of the same issues she's having. At the 4-H fair, much is revealed. Set in the modern era, but letters from the 1980's. Funny and realistic fiction. I enjoyed the insights Polly gains into her mom's ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Lovely book. I liked Poppy making friends with Britt and her brother, and how everything worked out in the end. A satisfying read.
B
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this in our Jr high section. Good for 4th and up. I like how Poppy tries to find her Mom and the comparision to her life at 12 and her moms.
Isabel Haber
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read. Surprising, yet slightly expected plot twist.
Shubha
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book.. Although the twist in the end wasn't a surprise at all..
Claire P
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book! So intense and full of mystery! Poppy is dealing with mean bullies at school, her dad almost marrying a bullies mom, having her roses getting ruined by a mysterious person, and last but not least, readings letters from her mom who was dead for 5 years.
Read this!! MUST READ!
lilyisslytherin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picked up the book - read synopsis and found out that it's about mother-daughter- definitely had to buy.

Yes I was scared that if it's boring and might disappoint me but still read it and ends up loving it! I find the story a bit cringey and you might feel a bit of anger towards some characters but don't worry! they were all bearable. I cried throughout reading the last few chapters up till the ending and ahhh it's just a good book to read okay!
Sara
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: like-it
I found some of the parallels between the letters and Poppy's life cloyingly convenient, although it drives home the nostalgic factor of everything coming full circle. A sweet, sappy ending that left me with a smile and a bit of tear despite my irritation at Poppy's blind faith in her mother's communication. Well written and a fast, sweet read.
Josh
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having read both Dear Poppy and Ruby Reinvented, I found that Dear Poppy tugged at my heart a bit more; like Ruby Reinvented, it is well-written and manages to be both light and meaningful.

My daughter (14) also read it (in a day) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jen Malone
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not love this book any more. I was smiling through tears at the ending!!!!
Ms. Yingling
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Fell into Black Hole of Cross Country. Vague memories of sort of enjoying-- multigenerational bullying, but dead mother.
Sarah Sammis
Dear Poppy is a tightly crafted story with a concise timeline and a strong sense of place.

Kaia sullivan
Feb 01, 2019
Hallie
Nov 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tales from a Not-So-Perfect Pet Sitter (Dork Diaries, #10)
  • My Diary from the Edge of the World
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Pegasus and the Fight for Olympus (Pegasus, #2)
  • Pegasus and the Origins of Olympus (Pegasus, #4)
  • The Memory of Forgotten Things
  • The Sign of the Beaver
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Donut Go Breaking My Heart (Wish, #5)
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • Pegasus and the New Olympians (Pegasus, #3)
  • The Revenge of Magic (The Revenge of Magic, #1)
  • The Flame of Olympus  (Pegasus, #1)
  • Pegasus and the Rise of the Titans (Pegasus #5)
  • The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel
  • The End of Olympus (Pegasus #6)
Ronni Arno is the proud mom to 2 kids, 2 dogs, and several middle grade and young adult novels. Her debut, RUBY REINVENTED, published with Simon & Schuster/Aladdin in Fall 2015. DEAR POPPY publishes with Simon & Schuster/Aladdin in October 2016, and MOLLY IN THE MIDDLE publishes in Summer 2017. In her spare time, Ronni kayaks and drinks coffee, but not usually at the same time.

News & Interviews