Start by marking “Avalanche” as Want to Read:
Avalanche

Avalanche

Two groups of teens—those waiting to be saved and those doing the saving—are in a race against time and a battle against Mother Nature after an avalanche traps them in an isolated cabin in this chilling novel.

“I promise it’ll be a weekend you’ll never forget.”

A trip like that is exactly what Matt was hoping for—a fun adventure. A daring escape. A once-in-a-lifetime opportu
Published November 29th 2016 by Simon Pulse

Linda Munro
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matt should have been in Florida spending a week with his father who canceled at the last minute; instead he was skiing with his best friend, his college ages brother and friends of the brother. The group is headed to a once in a lifetime destination through a thrilling, but extremely dangerous pass through the Rocky Mountains. Instead of heading towards the adventure planned, they head directly into an avalanche!

One member of the party is now missing and presumed dead, another is seriously inju
Whitney
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a quick read and I enjoyed it mainly because it was exactly what it presents itself to be: a survival story. I’ve always enjoyed shows like “I Shouldn’t Be Alive”, which is why I decided to read this book in the first place. It read like an episode right off of the show. Matt’s relationship with his father was certainly a catalyst for how he ended up on the trip, but honestly by the time he was mentioned again it seemed a bit out of place, like the author forgot she’d mentioned him ...more
Elaine
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 8th-grade
High adventure. Quick read. Little character development covered up by one challenge after another from mother nature. Action and romance. A book for both boys and girls.
Haley Cerullo
I thought that it was a good book. I might have thought that it was a skiing story but it was mostly an adventure and action story.
Sharon C
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good thriller with great plot and great characters!
Angela
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Avalanche has all the battles against Mother Nature that you would expect, but it also packed quite an emotional punch. After an avalanche kills one member of the group and leaves another seriously injured, the group of teenagers must make quick decisions about how to find help.

At times, the book was a little over-the-top. Pretty much everything that can go wrong, does. The survivors are smoked out of the deserted cabin they find; cell phones are broken or lost; they are attacked by various ani
Katie.Poole
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can confidently say that the novel, Avalanche by Melinda Braun, is one of the most thrilling stories I've ever read. This book has it all: adventure, action, romance, and even suspense. Avalanche tells the story of the main character, Matt. Matt has just decided to spend spring break with his best friend, Tony, in Colorado after the scheduled trip to Florida with his father was canceled. Matt and Tony planned to stay with Tony's brother, Sid, who's in college and lives in Colorado. Sid promise ...more
Lauren Hayes
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Avalanche by Melinda Braun was an action-packed book that had me constantly turning the page. It begins with two high school boys, Matt and Tony, arriving in Colorado for a spring break ski trip with one of the boys' older brother, Sid, whom they accompany to a college party where their ski trip is planned out. Though it is told from the third person, the story focuses on Matt, one of the two high schoolers who is only there because his dad bailed on him and whose personal life is revealed throu ...more
Tiger Oma
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Avalanche is a book that will be enjoyed by both boys and girls. It is filled with adventure, action, arguments, nature, and boy-girl problems. I really like how Braun describes the struggles of the characters. She does this by switching the point of view throughout the book. The action is believable, and she does a good job of drawing the reader into the peril the characters face.

I really like how Braun made this book personal. The main character is named after her husband; several of the othe
Sheila
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like books that have to do with reality/survivor type not quite real but,
could possibly have real similarities to it.
I truly enjoyed this story and didn't want to put it down
until I finished it and I enjoyed Stranded by this Author but, I
definitely enjoyed this story even more than Stranded.
We are taking a skiing trip with Matt and Tony headed on a airplane
to meet up with his brother Sid and friends in Colorado.
It's a group of seven of them and guess what happens yep a Avalanche.
The inter
Kayla  Amaro
Overall, the story is good. I loved the descriptive language throughout and the development of the characters as the situations in the book grow from bad to worst. The ending was also sweet. I am only rating it three stars, however, because I feel like certain parts of the book were predictable. This is a book about survival and I was expecting more surprises from the plot, or at least to be taken aback at times by what happened. I can only recall one time when I was really surprised by the plot ...more
Brie Garza
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of the 2018 Tayshas reading challenge at my high school. It was a nice break from the usual teen romances that make the Tayshas list. I had not read an action/adventure YA novel since Hatchet, which I read when I was in high school myself. This move reminded me a lot of that book, both of which I enjoyed. If you are not familiar with Rocky Mountain settings, as I am not, in may be difficult to get a clear picture in your head of what is going on in some scenes.
Darkfire
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of books like Hatchet, and Peak, this is a must read. Focusing on the epic journey of a group of teenagers who become trapped on a mountain by a brutal avalanche. They must face both the dangerous winter wilderness, and the darkness within themselves. It focuses on the growth from childhood to adulthood.
Christine
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: survival
I guess I expected too much for this book. The plot was excellent but it was poorly written and the characters' experiences were flashed back and forth. However I frowned about the underage drinking and smoking pot. I was losing interest with the characters. It could have been a good book.
Michele
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I’d give this YA adventure book 3.5 stars. This is a survival story— an avalanche in Colorado during spring break for some inexperienced campers. My 13 year old recommended this book to me because he liked it.
Kristi Bell
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I abandoned this book (I never abandon books) didn't want to waste my time.....definitely YA material with underage drinking and pot use within the first 30 pages. Calling other characters offensive names, etc.
Jo Sorrell
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: newbery-2017
I don't see how anybody survived this scenario. Author did a great job of making the reader feel the cold, pain and desperation. I just thought it was a little wordy and skipped over some of the details as I read.
Debbie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great survivalist, lost in the snowy mountains story.
Christine
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jf-ya, cchs-library
Drug references and profanity. I was between a two star and three, when the kids calling a teenage boy "mister" repeatedly made the decision for me.
John Clark
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stung by yet another snub by his professor father, this time because Dad’s 28 year old girlfriend is having pregnancy issues, Matt is eager to go from Des Moines to Colorado on a school break. Smart and having an eclectic mind, He’s not wise in the ways of survival or girls, two areas where skills will soon have plenty of value.
He and his best friend Toby have been invited by Toby’s older brother Sid to join a group of college age kids on a backcountry skiing adventure. It’s an interesting grou
Heidi
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Excellent outdoor adventure book to recommend to young adult, male readers or girls who like this type of fast-paced story.
Amy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: survival
This book is pretty fast-paced. I had read Stranded by the same author, so I was willing to give this a try. Braun does a pretty good job with her characters, and the plot is fast-paced. Pretty much everything that can go wrong, does. The author doesn't shy away from death or dangerous situations. I thought the pages from the mountain lion's point of view were unnecessary and didn't add to the narrative. I read this pretty quickly, so I may have missed some detail, but there were a couple of tim ...more
Monical
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
zipped through this YA novel while waiting for a doctor's appointment. Not bad, just not very good, either. Thought the author left the reader hanging a bit (wait, maybe there's a sequel!)
Sya
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sadly, this was a great premise ruined by hopeless melodrama. The characters were underwritten, the increasingly regular scenes of peril too many and too quickly resolved and the scenes from the POV of a mountain lion unnecessary and disruptive in terms of narrative. However, there were glimpses of great writing amid the dross - particularly in the scenes where characters see their lives flashing before their eyes - and the dialogue is believable. Sadly, this promise does not make up for a prett ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

This was more of a Young Adult book. I did appreciate that it took into account the kind of things that boys like-- the best friend throwing up in the airplane, the main character angry that he couldn't spend spring break with his father, adventure in the mountains. It just got off to a bit of a slow start for middle school.
Dawn
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read but it made me think? Would I be able to survive in an catastrophic event? Sadly, I think the answer would be no!
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: boy-books, ya-fiction
Solid adventure fiction for older readers. Contains underage drinking, minor drug use, and profanity.
*Uninarwhalcorn*
  • Damselfly
  • This Is the Story of You
  • Terror at Bottle Creek
  • Bad Call
  • Death Mask (Rogue Angel, #52)
  • The Last Flight: A Novel
  • The Fourth Ruby (Section 13, #2)
  • Us, in Progress: Short Stories About Young Latinos
  • Cracked Earth (The Journal, #1)
  • The Everest Files (Everest Files, #1)
  • Boy X
  • The Watchman (Marc Portman #1)
  • The Devil's Sanctuary (Will Jaeger #3)
  • Red Earth
  • Game Seven
  • Enhanced (Flying, #2)
  • A-Force Presents Vol. 1
  • Enter a Glossy Web (Enter a Glossy Web, #1)