Start by marking “Scary Out There” as Want to Read:
Scary Out There

Scary Out There

Multiple Bram Stoker Award–winning author Jonathan Maberry compiles more than twenty stories and poems—written by members of the Horror Writers Association—in this terrifying collection about worst fears.

What scares you? Things that go bump in the night? Being irreversibly different? A brutal early death? The unknown?

This collection contains stories and poetry by renowned
Published August 30th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Scary Out There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scary Out There

Start your review of Scary Out There
Karl
Jul 31, 2017 marked it as to-read
This edition is an uncorrected proof from Stoker Con 2016 and is signed by 15 of the books contributors -

001 - Introduction by Jonathan Maberry
007 - Brenna Yovanoff, “The Doomsday Glass”
039 - Carrie Ryan, “What Happens to Girls Who Disappear”
065 - Cherie Priest, “The Mermaid Aquarium”
088 - Ellen Hopkins,“As Good As Your Word”
149 - Rachel Tafoya, “Invisible Girl”
170 - Zac Brewer, “Death and Twinkies”
195 - Linda Addison, “Secret Things: Poems”
201 - Josh Malerman, “Danny”
233 - Madeleine Roux, “Make
Jennifer Y.
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
As someone who grew up devouring the spooky books of R.L. Stine and others, I was very excited to read this anthology of YA horror stories.

This collection of short stories and poems about what scares us may not necessarily be what one thinks of when they see or hear the word “horror.” The collection is thought-provoking and a little fear-inducing with authors answering the question, “What scares you?” Everybody is afraid of something and everyone reacts differently when confronting their fears
Levi Poirier
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
None of the stories in here gave me a thrill, or any bit of a scare, which is what I was hoping for. Maybe if you're just beginning to get into horror, then this is a good beginning book. But for me, it just didn't make the cut.
 Reading Reindeer
Review: SCARY OUT THERE

Edited and introduced by author Jonathan Maberry, SCARY OUT THERE collects stories of fears--which, as Mr. Maberry points out, are precise and individualized. In these stories and poetry, tour a wide variety of fears, as penned by these accomplished authors. Perhaps you'll find your own.
Laura (midorireads)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
In the introduction of Scary Out There, we're told that not all fear is the same, so what may scare one person won't scare another. Being that that is the case, horror stories can be an exciting way to see what sends chills down your spine, and just what type of fears you may not have know about yourself.

Do I feel that Scary Out There did it for me?

Unfortunately...no.

Out of 21 different stories in this one book, Danny by Josh Malerman was the only one to really give me chills.

In Danny ,
David
Jul 13, 2017 added it
a collection of 21 stories by a lot of great writers aimed at a YA audience, though not exclusively. unique to this bunch (to me at least) is the inclusion of poetry, some dark, others extremely dark, but all of it really makes to think. editor maberry says in his forward that the authors were asked to explore what scares them, what they're afraid of, which creates stories that includes everything from an old radio with twilight zone-like twist to it (from r.l. stine), to a strange occurrence wi ...more
Megmar
Cue up the movie, crack open the book; Gasp and shriek and forget the world. It's scary, so scary out there.

Scary out there? Not so much.

I was pretty disappointed with this collection, overall. The forward promises to terrify me, that fear is not the same for everyone, and I settled in for a collection of horror stories, fully prepared to be spooked, if not flat out terrified.

What I got is a collection of depressing real-life tales that all kind of blended together after a while, despite som
Blake Murray
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book like I wanted to. The beginning chapter Jonathan Mayberry talked about how scary this book is supposed to be and he talked about fear. This book as a whole only scared me once. Some stories were just entertaining and not scary and others were so boring that It was tedious to finish. I was looking forward to this book and I really wanted to feel fear and be scared. This book did not accomplish that for me unfortunately.
ElphaReads
2.5 Stars

It's always a gamble when I pick up a short story collection. While I've had pretty good luck as of late, I'm always waiting for my luck to run out. You could either have a pretty solid collection of stories, or you could find yourself with one or two stories that stand out, and then a bunch of duds. Sadly, SCARY OUT THERE is a collection that skews more towards the latter category.

SCARY OUT THERE is a short story collection put together by Jonathan Maberry, written by a number of horr
Brennan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, a pretty good collection of stories. Some of them weren't that scary. The book was more depressing stories with a few scary ones mixed in.
Deborah Embury
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.75

As an overall work, I found "Scary Out There" to be not quite a run-of-the-mill horror collection, but a pretty interesting look at fictional depictions of what these 21 authors thought to be real fear, and although I think there were unimpressive bits, this collection of stories is a good read for any teen horror lover.
Some of the stories were really well done, like Josh Mallerman's "Danny", and Tim Waggoner's "The Whisper-Whisper Men"- those two were probably my favorite. A
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed by thelibraryladies.com )

During one of our recent book club meetings, our fellow member Aimee mentioned to me a book of short stories she was reading for a book committee she was on. That book was “Scary Out There”, and as the resident (and kind of lone) horror buff she felt that this might be a good fit for me. I’ve read horror short story collections for teens before. One of the very best ones I’ve read is the FABULOUS book “Slasher Girls and Monster Boys”, and knowing
Lisa Mandina
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Most of the stories were pretty good. Will be a full review on Lisa Loves Literature tomorrow!
Jana
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great anthology of short stories! To me the spookiest story by far was Danny by Josh Malerman, couldn't even read that one at night!
Kiki
Feb 07, 2017 added it
Didn't finish. A couple of the stories were interesting but I found I was skimming more than half of them.
Ashley  Marie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
my favorite scary story was Old Radio by R.L Stine
Jan Sandro
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
A few of the stories were worth more than two stars but, as a whole, the book was just okay.
Samantha
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
DNF; I honestly lost interest and I just don’t want to see it on my “currently reading” anymore
Gino Alfonso
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some stories were okay. My favorites were Death and Twinkies and Danny.
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I rather enjoyed this collection of stories and poems. There were a few that deserved five stars overall-as well as their own completed novels. But, there were a few others I just couldn't get into, hence the 3 star rating. Also I had not expected to go on a feels trip with some of them.

If you're expecting a true collection of horror stories that will make you jump at every noise as you read it alone in your house, you're going to be surprised just as I was. Instead, many of the pieces in this
♥Melyn♥
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-ok
Of all the 21 short stories in this book, only two of them scared me: Chlorine-Damaged Hair and Other Pool Hazards by Kendate Blake and Corazón Oscuro by Rachel Caine. Maybe because each of us has our own notion of what 'scary' is. We have our own fear and our own demons.

This was a fast read for me, just took me a couple hours. Most of the stories are dealing with mental issues, something that other people can't see. Some felt like suspense/mystery novels(which I love). I've enjoyed most of the
Kimberly Miller
“Falling into Darkness” 5 stars
“What Happens When the Heart Just Stops” couldn’t get
Ivan Magnus
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stories in Scary Out There aren't exactly terrifying but some were done well, but also others delayed me from reading the next story because they are kind of confusing and "eh". I specifically enjoyed stories like The Invisible Girl by Rachel Tafoya and Death And Twinkies by Zac Brewer, the mix of Mental Illness and Horror is something I haven't read before, I think they covered it well compare to a full length novel that ends up romanticizing it. Another story I really enjoyed is Danny by Josh ...more
Meg Campbell
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really good collection! It featured a significant amount of woman authors, which unfortunately isn’t usually the case. There wasn’t really a story in it that I disliked. That said, the poetry entries were not my favorite, even though I usually love poetry.

Stand-outs for me were: Brenna Yovanoff’s Doomsday Glass, Rachel Caine’s Corazón Oscuro, & Ilsa J. Bick’s Bearwalker. Would recommend.
Cameron Motsinger
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of the most consistent anthologies I've ever read. There weren't too many stories that stood out as being terrible, but also not too many I found to be amazing. Nothing really scared me like I hoped it would, but there were some stories that I did really enjoy. Everything was a pretty good length and overall I think it was a very successful anthology.
Kathleen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this but agree with many of the other reviews that it wasn’t necessarily scary - most stories took more of a psychological scare direction. However, I rated it 4 stars because it was a great opportunity to discover new YA authors to me and see if I liked their style. I will definitely be reading more from Josh Malerman as a result.
Maria Castillo
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scary out there was a great read. But some of the story was breath taking when I true every page wanting more of what was happening to the characters. As each author did make me feel scared at night that I want to continue reading more late at night. It was a pleasure to read this book, this is way I'm give a five out of five star.
Gene Gant
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of young adult horror stories and poetry made for a nice diversion. Some of the entries, such as "Death and Twinkies," were more whimsical than eerie. But "Danny," "Beyond the Sea," "The Old Radio," and "Non-player Character" conveyed a good chill.
Casie Blevins
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of note, twelve of the twenty writers were women. Way to go Jonathan Maberry! This collection is excellent with special nod to Tim Waggoner, Christopher Golden, Josh Malerman, Carrie Ryan, and Kendare Blake. Highly recommend.
Carlo
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 I liked some stories

• People Kill People
  • The Unfortunates
  • Losing Brave
  • Certain Dark Things
  • The Last Harvest
  • All the Days Past, All the Days to Come (Logans, #8)
  • The House
  • Book of Lies
  • The Edge (Peak, #2)
  • And the Trees Crept In
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • House of Furies (House of Furies, #1)
  • Fear University (Fear University, #1)
  • Playing Atari with Saddam Hussein
  • Dead Man's Stitch (Fear University #5)
  • The Killing Season (Fear University, #2)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &